PDA

View Full Version : Using somebody's blind/stand

Pinewood
11-25-2015, 09:32 PM
What's the unwritten rule on using somebody else's stand or blind that you come across in the bush? Is it ok? I found one I would like to sit in on the weekend but I won't if it's going to ruffle some feathers. For the record, it is just 3' or so high made of small dead fall stuff.

one-shot-wonder
11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Because one can run the risk of it being an active blind and it is being used, you should pass.

604ksmith
11-25-2015, 09:40 PM
As long as you're respectful I don't think there's an issue. The unwritten rule of all rules in the bush is 'leave it as you found it.'

If you do, try leaving a little momento behind (wittled wood, a jenga layer of sticks ect...) without messing with the setup.

However, if someone comes into it, be prepared to leave. Also, don't make it your entire camps new spot.

Shooter
11-25-2015, 09:46 PM
For me if it was a blind made from natural surroundings I would use it if it looked like it had been there for a long time. If it looks like it was made this year or like it had been used recently then I wouldn't use it. As a bow hunter that has at least 3 different blinds and stands set up I use different ones so that I don't over hunt one blind or stand. I wouldn't much appreciate someone else over hunting it for me. Now if it was a store bought blind or stand I would never park my ass in it but thats just me.

604ksmith
11-25-2015, 09:49 PM
+1 Shooter

Yeah, i'd like to add the store-bought "no-no" to my response as well. If it isn't natural don't use it.

Keta1969
11-25-2015, 09:54 PM
As long as you're respectful I don't think there's an issue. The unwritten rule of all rules in the bush is 'leave it as you found it.'

If you do, try leaving a little momento behind (wittled wood, a jenga layer of sticks ect...) without messing with the setup.

However, if someone comes into it, be prepared to leave. Also, don't make it your entire camps new spot.

This. I have built blinds and stands in a few places have always thought that someone else may use it if they found it. Never ran into anyone yet but wouldn't let it bother me if I did.

Buckmeister
11-25-2015, 09:55 PM
Depends "where" it is. Dad just told me today of a private property where someone has set up 3 stands, one very nice store bought, but no one has a clue who set them up. In that case, I'm positive the owner of the land can use the stands as much as he wants, and then lay claim to the "gift" somebody left him.

604ksmith
11-25-2015, 09:57 PM
Depends "where" it is. Dad just told me today of a private property where someone has set up 3 stands, one very nice store bought, but no one has a clue who set them up. In that case, I'm positive the owner of the land can use the stands as much as he wants, and then lay claim to the "gift" somebody left him.

I believe that's call trespassing...

The landowner should take the stand as their own and leave a note in a ziplock bag saying "thanks for the gift, you can go now."

leadpillproductions
11-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Ive had my one stand set up for a few years in the same place , if I came in and there was a guy in stand not a issue, ( proper thing they should do if I came in give up stand the right thing to do ). That being said I do now have a nice flaged trail right to my site lol will be moving after the season in a few days . Has been a very good area sucks to move might just put a natural blind in instead

Pioneerman
11-25-2015, 10:36 PM
If it is as you described a pile of brush and stuff then sure I see no reason not to use it, BUT if someone shows up and claims it then I would let them and I would move elsewhere. If a store bought unit I would not use it. But take note of any traffic in and out of it if I hunted that area much. I know guys that go away moose hunting and build two or three decent tree stands every year, some in new hunting area, and never going back to the last 4 years worth of stands, so why not use them. If they are hunting public land, you can not lay claim to the whole area cause you left wood piled up. Someone could be hunting 50 yards away and never see that stand, they are not at fault

Surrey Boy
11-25-2015, 10:41 PM
604ksmith covered it pretty well.

scotty30-06
11-25-2015, 10:43 PM
I have a store bought 2 man stand out and came across a guy sitting in it....I told him he could stay and we made a deal....he had a bow and I had a rifle...so anything over 75 yards was mine and anything under was his.....we hunted that day and I mentioned at the end that he could use it once in a while but warned about hidden cams.....he used it 2 more times....and when I got back to it there were 2 mickeys of fireball whiskey left for me....was the thought and respect that counts

Xenomorph
11-25-2015, 11:14 PM
I have a store bought 2 man stand out and came across a guy sitting in it....I told him he could stay and we made a deal....he had a bow and I had a rifle...so anything over 75 yards was mine and anything under was his.....we hunted that day and I mentioned at the end that he could use it once in a while but warned about hidden cams.....he used it 2 more times....and when I got back to it there were 2 mickeys of fireball whiskey left for me....was the thought and respect that counts

That right there my friend is the good gesture and mutual respect that should go without saying. I have to say thank you to you for your generosity and to him for not being a douchebag and making sure a nice token is left over at the end of it all.

Let's face it, sometimes it's awesome being out there alone, but other times it's just good to be around others to enjoy the time, a drink, a story ...some weird new concoction you've never seen before that looks like shit but tastes better than anything you've ever eaten.

Anyway, well done Scotty.

Sofa King
11-25-2015, 11:30 PM
if it's not a manufactured blind/stand, it's fair game.
I've found some and tried them out, and I've got some of my own that I've built in the off-seasons.
I'm actually surprised when I find there isn't someone else in them.
I did have one of my treestands destroyed by someone though, kinda disappointing, as it took me a lot of work to build.

but even if it were the manufactured type, it's on crown land and is still fair game.
I wouldn't touch other's fancy stuff, but I just put my blind out today, and i'll be happily satisfied if it is still there each time I go back in.
the worst thing I hate about leaving a blind out or building one, is that it might be tipping someone off to a good hunting spot if they find it.

Ourea
11-26-2015, 12:53 AM
if it's not a manufactured blind/stand, it's fair game.
I've found some and tried them out, and I've got some of my own that I've built in the off-seasons.
I'm actually surprised when I find there isn't someone else in them.
I did have one of my treestands destroyed by someone though, kinda disappointing, as it took me a lot of work to build.

but even if it were the manufactured type, it's on crown land and is still fair game.
I wouldn't touch other's fancy stuff, but I just put my blind out today, and i'll be happily satisfied if it is still there each time I go back in.
the worst thing I hate about leaving a blind out or building one, is that it might be tipping someone off to a good hunting spot if they find it.

Well then, you have nothing to worry about.

hunter1947
11-26-2015, 03:41 AM
My thoughts are if the blind is on crown land and no one is in the stand when you approach the stand then use it if someone that built the stand and they come to use thise stand then give them the rights and leave the stand..

If you have permission to hunt private land and see a tree stand on this land ask the property owner if they built this stand and if so then ask them if you can use this tree stand on their property.

A stand that has been built on crown land it's not on anyone's private land and any hunter that comes across this stand should be able to use it when no other person is using this tree stand,,who knows maybe the person that built this stand lives a long ways from where this stand is built and only use it a few times a year when he or she travels from A to B each year,,just saying..

goinghunting
11-26-2015, 06:50 AM
If its not yours stay out of it! Someone else put the effort in and if you want a blind/treestand go set one up.

Backwoods
11-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Build your own, I can't stand hiking into my blind that I have dedicated my self to a spot, put time into building it, I know it's crown land but come on, there is soooo much country out there go find your own put your time in instead of ruining the guys day who built it, I have had many people follow my tracks in the snow right to my blind and sit in there, even have been in there and have guys walk right up ruining my hunt scaring game off. I was raised hunting and told at a very young age to respect other guys blinds and stands by leaving them be and don't be lazy go build your own my grampa and uncles all told me. So I did, multiple blinds in multiple regions

hare_assassin
11-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Case-by-case basis. If it is obviously new and/or been used in the current season then I move on. If it is old and moss-covered and there are no obvious signs of recent use, then I might use it. If someone came along and claimed ownership, I wouldn't argue the point, I would just wish him/her luck and be on my way.

I have a ground blind that I left near my newest honey-hole for several weeks this season. I knew there was a chance someone might find it, use it, or steal it. I left a couple of chairs and some other odds and ends in there. I don't think anyone even found it, but I don't really care. We took two good bucks out of that spot and I recovered my blind last weekend.

Maybe someone sat in there one weekend when I was up in another region. Maybe they got a buck, too. Good for them.

riflebuilder
11-26-2015, 09:01 AM
we build t raised blind and used to bait deer. Worked great until it was taken over by a group that found it, would not of been an issue if they supplied some of the bait.

Ourea
11-26-2015, 09:24 AM
The reality is a lot of hunters don't know a good area vs bad far as how it sets up to hunt, the inventory and or quality of animals etc. If someone else has taken the time to figure all that out ..... built a blind to capitalize on an area they have taken a few years to figure out.......others are quick to take advantage of it once found......then justify it.

If it looks like it is being used.....leave it be.
If it is abandoned ......fill your boots

Ferenc
11-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Just google...Chai Vang... When things go outta control

Pinewood
11-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks gentlemen for all the replies. It seems we have a mixture of feelings on the usage. I think I will just leave it alone as there is evidence of recent use. I will however hunt the area and maybe just sit a ways off in an attempt to get my first Buck. Going up Friday solo....wish me luck.

BCrams
11-26-2015, 10:20 AM
Interesting scenario. A spot I always hunt with portable blind or stand and have taken bucks over the years from it now has a wood blind set up by someone.

What do you do?

Fisher-Dude
11-26-2015, 10:56 AM
The reality is a lot of hunters don't know a good area vs bad far as how it sets up to hunt, the inventory and or quality of animals etc. If someone else has taken the time to figure all that out ..... built a blind to capitalize on an area they have taken a few years to figure out.......others are quick to take advantage of it once found......then justify it.

If it looks like it is being used.....leave it be.
If it is abandoned ......fill your boots

Gutpile chasers abound on the intraweb.

People want me to post pics of my kills from this season. Nope. Not so much that I'm afraid they'll figure out where I've had good fortune, but rather that I'd prefer people live the entire outdoor experience that Ourea describes above that leads up to meat in the freezer. Those looking for shortcuts by riding the coattails of others have totally missed the point of why we hunt.

Big Lew
11-26-2015, 11:49 AM
This subject is discussed every year....with all manner of responses.
I've built natural blinds for bird hunting many times over the years, and a few times
for hunting deer. I make effective but quick and easy blinds that are just as easy to
take apart after use so that they don't draw attention to the spot. If I decide to leave
them up then whomever comes along gets 'first come first to use' unless I'm right there.
As for tree stands, I've seen many well built permanent stands. A couple must have taken
a lot of time, effort, and cost to build. If they've not been used recently I have no qualms
about using them, but if someone comes along and says it's theirs I'll leave them to it.
Some of the ones I've seen look like they haven't been used in years. If I'm at all concerned
that someone will use one of mine or clue in on my good spot, I take it with me or take it down
before leaving, simple solution.

scotty30-06
11-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Yea it worked out pretty damn good for both of us.....keeps the respect for the fellow man

hare_assassin
11-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Interesting scenario. A spot I always hunt with portable blind or stand and have taken bucks over the years from it now has a wood blind set up by someone.

What do you do?

Keep using the portable blind in that spot. Set up a cam somewhere he/she is least likely to see it. Discover their pattern of visitation. Have a "chance" encounter with him/her.

Have a chat.

scoutlt1
11-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Gutpile chasers abound on the intraweb.

People want me to post pics of my kills from this season. Nope. Not so much that I'm afraid they'll figure out where I've had good fortune, but rather that I'd prefer people live the entire outdoor experience that Ourea describes above that leads up to meat in the freezer. Those looking for shortcuts by riding the coattails of others have totally missed the point of why we hunt.

Are you sure you're not a Canucks fan? ;) :)

Krico
11-26-2015, 08:59 PM
The BCrams scenario is exactly what I was thinking about. Chasing gutpiles, messing with others property etc. is one thing, but I certainly would not stop hunting an area just because somebody built or left behind a blind.
You can't lay claim to sheep mountains by leaving behind your tent either.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-26-2015, 09:47 PM
I think that before someone goes through the trouble of building a stand, they have to acknowledge that it is going to be fair game for anyone else who wants to use it. We have others talking about trying to determine recent use, but that is way too subjective to be able to draw any ethical right or wrong from. Bottom line for me is first come, first serve, even if I built it. Do I really expect that if I show up at my blind and someone's there that I can say, "Oh, I built this, could you please leave"? If the guy tells me to go hump a Spruce tree, I would say he's got every right. My approach would probably be more along the lines of saying, "How's the stand treating you? No worries, I'll go elsewhere. Please, if you don't mind though, don't tell others about the location as I've put a fair bit of time into building it and the last thing either of us would want is for a steady stream of dudes checking this place out".

I am very sympathetic to guys who have had trailcams or feeders stolen, but I share the same view on T-cam sites as blinds or stands: you can't position a site on game considerations alone. If you do, you can't be mad when the one loser out of 50 (that we all know is out there) does exactly what we know he's going to do. The driving motivator has to be to get the best mix of game movement/attraction and obscurity or seclusion. Is it reasonable to expect to set up a stand on sparsely wooded Crown land bordering a highly visible (from a major road) alfalfa field and think that only you would be using it because you built it? Having others use my site is like my penalty for not locating it well enough. The only thing you can do is either have friendly dialogue with someone you find using it, or leave a friendly note asking people to use the site respectfully if it is getting used when you're not around.

Buckmeister
11-26-2015, 09:59 PM
I remember seeing an area along a fence line where there was 3 or 4 wooden tree stands, all within an 80 yard radius. Pack hunters?

Paulyman
11-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Build a blind directly beside the blind and use it instead.

Ourea
11-27-2015, 12:17 AM
I think that before someone goes through the trouble of building a stand, they have to acknowledge that it is going to be fair game for anyone else who wants to use it. We have others talking about trying to determine recent use, but that is way too subjective to be able to draw any ethical right or wrong from. Bottom line for me is first come, first serve, even if I built it. Do I really expect that if I show up at my blind and someone's there that I can say, "Oh, I built this, could you please leave"? If the guy tells me to go hump a Spruce tree, I would say he's got every right. My approach would probably be more along the lines of saying, "How's the stand treating you? No worries, I'll go elsewhere. Please, if you don't mind though, don't tell others about the location as I've put a fair bit of time into building it and the last thing either of us would want is for a steady stream of dudes checking this place out".

I am very sympathetic to guys who have had trailcams or feeders stolen, but I share the same view on T-cam sites as blinds or stands: you can't position a site on game considerations alone. If you do, you can't be mad when the one loser out of 50 (that we all know is out there) does exactly what we know he's going to do. The driving motivator has to be to get the best mix of game movement/attraction and obscurity or seclusion. Is it reasonable to expect to set up a stand on sparsely wooded Crown land bordering a highly visible (from a major road) alfalfa field and think that only you would be using it because you built it? Having others use my site is like my penalty for not locating it well enough. The only thing you can do is either have friendly dialogue with someone you find using it, or leave a friendly note asking people to use the site respectfully if it is getting used when you're not around.

So......some of us hunt well back from the average hunter......not by the obvious spots where everyone is jockeying for position.

Here's an extreme example.
My elk hunting partner and I spent 3 years cutting in a trail, which included grub hoeing, endless brush tossing....a solid 15 long days of tough labor.

The next year we head in .....with anticipation.... on our hard earned trail to the first camp spot....a camp that we built..... that we dug out flat areas for our tent.....for a fire area...... looking forward to sitting in the lawn chairs that we packed in.....firewood we split.....looking forward to pulling the tarps up on the frames we built. Then killin some trophy elk!!

Only problem was there were two people sitting in those lawn chairs....by that fire pit....that were burning the wood we cut and split....very accommodating infrastructure to plop into.

Without a dramatic account of the interaction........these people were offended we showed up after dark....into "their" camp. They couldn't care less that we made all this possible.....for them to access the camp on the trails we built.....their answer was...."we were here first, camp somewhere else".

I guess we should all make the same effort to help others that don't have the time....the effort....to cut trail...build blinds...so we all can use it on a first come first basis.

My comments are not to be associated with a duck blind....a tree stand on crown land off an alpha field...... an area of obvious opportunity and convenience.

My message is about respecting other's efforts when you find the bounty of their hard work in the back country.

5HORTY
11-27-2015, 12:53 AM
thanks gentlemen for all the replies. It seems we have a mixture of feelings on the usage. I think i will just leave it alone as there is evidence of recent use. I will however hunt the area and maybe just sit a ways off in an attempt to get my first buck. Going up friday solo....wish me luck.

good luck!!!!

Bugle M In
11-27-2015, 02:01 AM
If it is as you described a pile of brush and stuff then sure I see no reason not to use it, BUT if someone shows up and claims it then I would let them and I would move elsewhere. If a store bought unit I would not use it. But take note of any traffic in and out of it if I hunted that area much. I know guys that go away moose hunting and build two or three decent tree stands every year, some in new hunting area, and never going back to the last 4 years worth of stands, so why not use them. If they are hunting public land, you can not lay claim to the whole area cause you left wood piled up. Someone could be hunting 50 yards away and never see that stand, they are not at fault

didn't read all the posts, but I would go by this.
If it's store bought, I wouldn't use it (although, I have seen some store bought, that are rotting in the middle of nowhere).
On Private land...well that's obvious, unless I was given permission, I'm trespassing.
On public land, it's up to discretion, as others say.
Everyone has a right to hunt public land, like it or not, it does not belong to someone, just because they throw up a blind,
especially a sticks and twigs blind.
If that was the case, and was the excepted rule, we would all be running out building these blinds, as if
to stake a claim, saying I am here first.
Doesn't work that.
You can sit in your blind, but you cant stop other hunters from hunting the same hillside.
Like flyfishing, just because you anchored yourself in a spot, doesn't stop the next guy from anchoring right beside you.
Or, you could have been trolling the same strip of water for hours, and than I person comes out, and drops anchor right
in the zone you were fishing...what can u do??
All you can do is hope you have the place to yourself, but if not, so be it, it might be that other persons honey hole as well.

hunter1947
11-27-2015, 05:24 AM
This subject is discussed every year....with all manner of responses.
I've built natural blinds for bird hunting many times over the years, and a few times
for hunting deer. I make effective but quick and easy blinds that are just as easy to
take apart after use so that they don't draw attention to the spot. If I decide to leave
them up then whomever comes along gets 'first come first to use' unless I'm right there.
As for tree stands, I've seen many well built permanent stands. A couple must have taken
a lot of time, effort, and cost to build. If they've not been used recently I have no qualms
about using them, but if someone comes along and says it's theirs I'll leave them to it.
Some of the ones I've seen look like they haven't been used in years. If I'm at all concerned
that someone will use one of mine or clue in on my good spot, I take it with me or take it down
before leaving, simple solution.

X2 on crown land this is exactly how I feel the permanent stand is there if no one is in it or using it then use it but if the person that built it comes in to use it then say its yours I will leave..
Who knows if the person that built this stand only uses it when he comes from many hours of driving to carry out their hunt for a week or two ,,example the person lives in Victoria he heads up to EK for his week hunt once a year the rest of the year the stand stays vacant..

Backwoods
11-27-2015, 06:24 AM
So......some of us hunt well back from the average hunter......not by the obvious spots where everyone is jockeying for position.

My elk hunting partner and I spent 3 years cutting in a trail, which included grub hoeing, endless brush tossing....a solid 15 long days of tough labor.

The next year we head in .....with anticipation.... on our hard earned trail to the first camp spot....a camp that we built..... that we dug out flat areas for our tent.....for a fire area...... looking forward to sitting in the lawn chairs that we packed in.....firewood we split.....looking forward to pulling the tarps up on the frames we built. Then killin some trophy elk!!

Only problem was there were two people sitting in those lawn chairs....by that fire pit....that were burning the wood we cut and split....very accommodating infrastructure to plop into.

Without a dramatic account of the interaction........these people were offended we showed up after dark....into "their" camp. They couldn't care less that we made all this possible.....for them to access the camp on the trails we built.....their answer was...."we were here first, camp somewhere else".

I guess we should all make the same effort to help others that don't have the time....the effort....to cut trail...build blinds...so we all can use it on a first come first basis.

My comments are not to be associated with a duck blind....a tree stand on crown land off an alpha field...... an area of obvious opportunity and convenience.

My message is about respecting other's efforts when you find the bounty of their hard work in the back country.
Exactly that is great way to say it, respect other fellows hunters for their efforts! To me that is good hunting ethics!!!

Backwoods
11-27-2015, 06:26 AM
Great ethics you have, all this country we have and you would hunker down for a competition. Sad!

Down South
11-27-2015, 06:36 AM
If the stand is on crown land then it is first come first serve, if you don't want someone to use your stand don't leave it there.

Thinking you have some kind of exclusive right on crown land is ridiculous

BCLogger
11-27-2015, 11:22 AM

I'm thinking you were joking when you suggested this. Why would you want to hunt the exact same spot someone else is? Of all the area to hunt out there, you would concentrate your efforts on a spot that's already getting hunting pressure?

Bugle M In
11-27-2015, 12:43 PM
The only way I see have an exclusive right to hunt on Crown land ( to some degree),
Is to pack in a portable ground blind or tree stand that the hunter owns and packs.
There are so many of those trees stands around and in the Kettle Valley for example,
that were used and than left, and now just rot away.
I know your not allowed to build cabin type structures on Crown Land, not sure where blinds fall in,
not that it matter a whole lot
But question, How do you prove you built the Blind, if you walk in, and now someone else is using that
Sticks and Twigs blind or some old plywood 2x4 blind.???
Are you willing to go in there, with your I-Phone, and pictures showing you "Constructing" this Blind
From Nothing to finished process to prove it is yours?????
Just saying, in my opinion, it's a not so straight forward, this is mine solution on Crown Land.
If you pack in a tent type blind or a tree stand, bot of which are "portable" and you paid some
"Cash" for, I think you will get further acknowledgment by another hunter in the area.
I don't build blinds, except one spot in the EK, which I thought "No one would fined"....but they did.
Thankfully, we use it on different weekends, except once.
Same goes for honey holes.
I hunted an area, in the EK, as I do every year.
Than, even though I had been hitting the area for 3 days already, other hunters come up
(who I have gotten to know...great guys), and they want to hunt the same area as well.
It's there honey hole as well....
Nothing you can do about, nothing I could do about it, but just go hunt, and accept your not alone.
Especially when deer hunting...
One guy can be in one spot all day, and say he saw nothing....
and not more than 100 yrds away, behind other evergreens and brush, there can be 15 deer, with a
large 4 point there, and that hunter never saw them...I see that so often, I can't even count it.
I am not trying to be unethical here, just saying how it is once your out in the bush, and possibly amongst
other hunters on Crown Land.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-27-2015, 01:34 PM

Holy crud! You are right; that is an extreme example!!!! By my reckoning I'd say you were unfortunate enough to have found 2 of the greatest ass-maulers in the countryside!!

So first, let me be clear that I was not insinuating that you or anyone else does not hunt out back far enough. Merely saying that the closer to the frontcountry you are, the greater the risk, but not that if you went far enough back nobody could ever find you. There's always that chance.

So wow, you did create some terrific infrastructure for those guys! I would argue that utilizing someone's lawn chairs and fire wood is not quite the same as sitting in their stand. As for someone else using/accessing the spot, without a formal tenure (which of course could not happen), it's the risk you face. When you were spending all that time establishing that site, you must have understood that if someone else found the trail in, they would be quite likely to utilize it. Would you really expect someone not to? Coincidentally, there is a particular bowl that some friends and I wanted to access for elk the last couple of years, but it's an alder nightmare. If we went there to cut a trail (as we have been scheming) and found that someone had already blazed one in, I wouldn't turn around because someone else had been there first. I'd be more likley to say, "farkin sweet"! Obviously, if there was any indication that they were already up there I would not continue on up. But if nobody is around, I would not refrain from going up on the chance that someone else could happen to show up while I was there. If I hiked up there and set up camp (not poached someone else's) and someone showed up, my response would likely be "sorry about your luck, guys". Would/could someone really expect me to leave just because they showed up?? Now let me say that ideally, the guys would have approached non-confrontationally and we could have cranked out a plan that allowed both parties some sort of opportunity, but I totally recognize that whether it be because the guys were confrontational or because the physical area might not allow for it, an outcome like that is just not always going to be possible.

I'm sure that you guys handled it as well as anyone could have. Without knowing the specific circumstances, I'd think my first reaction to those guys saying, "we were here first, camp somewhere else" would be to set up camp right beside them. And if they were threatening in any way I might leave, but probably not without making sure their vehicle was going to be an ordeal they had to deal with on their return.

Xenomorph
11-27-2015, 02:24 PM

I'm just going to bite my tongue on this one 'cause nothing nice is about to come out. Boo!