PDA

View Full Version : What to do with crappy moose pepperoni sticks?

BRvalley
11-25-2015, 03:38 PM
With our 2014 moose, we put in an order for 100 lbs of hot pepperoni sticks. This was my second time using a butcher with a good reputation. My first year I wasn't entirely happy with my pepperonis or cheese smokies, so we addressed my concerns and made it clear we wanted HOT pepperonis this time. So we get our order back, the pepperonis are bland, not much flavour, and the flavour this is there is far from hot. I'm guessing the spice mixture was way low, and the meat wasn't mixed thoroughly, as some packages are somewhat acceptable, but most are not.

Also, the cheese smokies had next to no cheese, and they were pretty dry...have a friend in Alberta and his butcher in Grande Prairie makes incredible cheese smokies, it'll be worth the gas money to drive over next year I'm thinking....highly disappointing but the smokies were easily improved by adding cheese in the bun.

No moose in 2015, so I'm looking at this huge pile of pepperoni sticks in my freezer, and wondering how to make this better? Not at all interested in trying to work anything out with the butcher, way too late for that, and we decided we won't use his services again, never heard of a butcher refunding money, so didn't see the point to address the issue a third time.

Been mostly using them in chili, cheese and crackers, and snacking on them time to time, hoping they get better with age...the dogs usually get half of the package, I just get bitter eating them haha

Is it possible to get them reground and redone?....I've called one butcher and he said he's never done that and not interested in trying...am I stuck with these things or what?

tinhorse
11-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Christmas is coming up...... Give them to the people you love. Ha ha.

tinhorse
11-25-2015, 03:46 PM
I don't think I would try re grinding them. Would probably make them really dry and worse than you have now.

GotaGun
11-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Also alot of guys looking for old/freezer burnt meat for dogs.
Pepperoni = dog treats.

wideopenthrottle
11-25-2015, 03:50 PM
classic... butcher that doesn't keep smoked meats separate and you get what you get (who knows who's meat you got)...it was the final straw for me and have not used a butcher since

stevo911_
11-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Can't say I've heard of getting them reground and redone (can't imagine it would turn out any better), but I could see grinding them and cutting them with pork into a fresh sausage working out OK? Something like a simple chorizo*.

That or grinding them, and then cutting it in with hamburger for whatever else you're making.

Might be worth getting a cheap manual grinder (the cast aluminum ones made in czechoslovakia seem abundant, and very very cheap, most attachments are universal), and experimenting.

Other than that, I'm big on batch cooking, so do up a bunch of pasta sauce with it in it, or make pizza pockets/calzones for a grab & go lunch?

*something like this: http://thespicysausage.com/recipes/chorizo1.htm with ~1.5 lb of pep for every 3.5lb of pork? Just a total guess since I've never tried doing it, but it would be a starting point. Then you just need to figure out what to do with the 200+lbs of sausage you end up with :D

russm86
11-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Did you dry them out at all when you got them home or did you package them up and freeze them right away? In my experience if you let them dry out a little more when you get them home the flavour gets better (not as watered down), I don't think the butchers let them dry out very long once smoked, they just want them out of their way and paid for. Flavours become more concentrated once they have dried out more. The sausages we get from the butcher are plump and firm the stuff you buy in the store is all shriveled and wrinkly, I think it may be due to being further dried/dehydrated and I find a lot of the local butchers stuff here bland if I eat it right away or wrap and freeze without further drying.

BigfishCanada
11-25-2015, 04:25 PM
careful with the dog treats, they may shit all over your house

MB_Boy
11-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Are you able to get meat out of the casings?

If you can get the meat out then chop it up nice and fine or grind it again and add the pork in noted below.

Getting the meat slow cooking into liquids again (spag sauce/chili) will help get moisture in there. I'd also add some fattier pork if you were complaining that it was dry. Also a slow type cook on your sauce could work wonders in salvaging be it on the stove, a slow cooker or crock pot.

I'd start normally for a tomato sauce and get your onions/garlic sautéing first with oil and any seasonings. To that I'd add some fattier ground pork to counteract the dryness. Get that all going in the pot/slow cooker and then add in canned/stewed tomatoes and perhaps even some vegetable broth or vino and bring it to a quick boil and then turn it down to a simmer if you're on the stove. This way you've got some good liquid in there to try and infuse moisture back into the various drier sausage meats. Before you're going to put the lid on whatever pot you try to use, add in your sausage meat (cold as you don't want to sauté any last liquid out of it) and however you do your seasonings.....bay leaf/oregano etc.

I'd let it cook LONG and slow and don't be afraid to add more liquid in if it starts to reduce too much....again, some V8, broth or even water. I think you may be better served doing it in an oven or crock just so you don't have too much direct heat under the pot. Get the pot in the oven at a low temp and just let it do its thing. Test the meat sauce and see how it's coming along after a while. I'd err on the side of a bit 'too much' liquid to start as it is going to reduce down a bit. If the consistency is getting good after a while but you need more tomato flavour to it, add in some tomato paste to thicken it up. Play with water to add just in case it goes too thick.

That's in a real quick nutshell what I would try. Others may have some ideas.....like Gate...hahaha. There are more components that I do when making a meat sauce but as I said....just typing this quickly, you may be able to save some of the meat.

Pioneerman
11-25-2015, 04:32 PM
The trouble with what one person calls spicy will kill the next person. I myself can eat thing shot and sweat coming off my forehead, others I know think little pepper is too much. If you cut them up into bite size pieces and microwave them I find that makes them slightly hotter, brings out the spice I guess. How were yours done are they actually smoked or dry cured another way ?I would think you could run them through a grinder with some pork fat and spices and get them them way you want them

BRvalley
11-25-2015, 05:11 PM
Christmas is coming up...... Give them to the people you love. Ha ha.

I tried, they sampled one pack and didn't leave my house with any more!

I have 2 chocolate labs, they eat a lot of game meat so they will most likely have treats for a long time...$4/lb treats lol

no issue with the meat being gamey, or hairy or anything like that, I feel confident we got our moose, we asked if we do 100lb batch if it'll be only our moose in the batch....and he's commented both times how clean our quarters were....but one package will be almost ok, and the next will be bland...we clearly discussed the hotness factor

I'll just continue to use them in sauces, chili, occasional snacking, etc...I was just hoping somebody had experience regrinding, adding more spices and pork, but sounds like that is a no go....they aren't horrible, they are just low on flavour and not just the hotness, flavour in general, very bland

Gateholio
11-25-2015, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't re grind and make more sausage out of them. I would try drying them a bit before serving to intensify the flavour. Or toss some in hot sauce over night then let dry on a rack. See if the sauce will cling to the pepperoni and give you the flavour you want. I've never tried it, but it sound like you have plenty to experiment with.

Island Idiots
11-25-2015, 05:40 PM

And my Black Lab means all over the house!

rocksteady
11-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Dip them in Frank's Red Hot..

I put that s&*t on everything... :)

urbanhermit
11-25-2015, 06:14 PM
some people chop em up and use them in chili or gumbo.

M.Dean
11-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Well Tim, this is what I'd do, clear everything off the kitchen counter, now get a bowl and put in some Soya Sauce, add half that amount of water, add 5 or 6 drops of Liquid Smoke, throw in some Cayenne Pepper, lots if you like hot, throw in some Papp er reicca, (spelling?) the spice that taste like Pepperoni, Hey, I'm old and ain't taken my pills yet tonight!, add Garlic powder to taste, Black Pepper, and as your doing this, keep tasting your mixture! Now, get a basting brush and a glass plate, cut some pepperoni and put it on the plate, now brush it with this mixture, don't soak the crap out of it, just so it's wet. Now get your wife to plug in your Vacuum Packer, that's what I do cuz it's in the bottom cupboard and my backs hooped, now put the plate full of spiced up Pepperoni in the Mircowave, go high heat, and strt with about 30 seconds, you don't want to dry it out, you just want it real hot! Now, when the bell rings three times, yell at the wife to bring you the hot plate, being carefull not to burn you, put the steaming hot Pepperoni into the Vacuum Bag and seal it. Now let this first bag cool down, then open the bag and see if all those spices I told you too mix up got sucked into the "Bland" Pepperoni, I bet it has!!! So now Tim, you have a rough idea of what spices it may need more of, or maybe a bit less of. The reason your Microwaving the meat is now when you Vacuum package it, the spices will sink into the meat, making it so bloody hot even you won't be able to eat it! I do this when I package my Jerky, I take it out of the smoker, try a bit, and even if it's spiced perfectly I get a bit of Soya Sauce and brush each piece lightly, heat it up to 165 degree's and then Vacuum package it hot, and believe me, it makes a world of difference in taste! Good Luck, and let us know if you do try this.

hare_assassin
11-25-2015, 07:52 PM
If you are going to use M.Dean's method, I hope like hell your vacuum bags are BPA free.

scoutlt1
11-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Well Tim, this is what I'd do, clear everything off the kitchen counter, now get a bowl and put in some Soya Sauce, add half that amount of water, add 5 or 6 drops of Liquid Smoke, throw in some Cayenne Pepper, lots if you like hot, throw in some Papp er reicca, (spelling?) the spice that taste like Pepperoni, Hey, I'm old and ain't taken my pills yet tonight!, add Garlic powder to taste, Black Pepper, and as your doing this, keep tasting your mixture! Now, get a basting brush and a glass plate, cut some pepperoni and put it on the plate, now brush it with this mixture, don't soak the crap out of it, just so it's wet. Now get your wife to plug in your Vacuum Packer, that's what I do cuz it's in the bottom cupboard and my backs hooped, now put the plate full of spiced up Pepperoni in the Mircowave, go high heat, and strt with about 30 seconds, you don't want to dry it out, you just want it real hot! Now, when the bell rings three times, yell at the wife to bring you the hot plate, being carefull not to burn you, put the steaming hot Pepperoni into the Vacuum Bag and seal it. Now let this first bag cool down, then open the bag and see if all those spices I told you too mix up got sucked into the "Bland" Pepperoni, I bet it has!!! So now Tim, you have a rough idea of what spices it may need more of, or maybe a bit less of. The reason your Microwaving the meat is now when you Vacuum package it, the spices will sink into the meat, making it so bloody hot even you won't be able to eat it! I do this when I package my Jerky, I take it out of the smoker, try a bit, and even if it's spiced perfectly I get a bit of Soya Sauce and brush each piece lightly, heat it up to 165 degree's and then Vacuum package it hot, and believe me, it makes a world of difference in taste! Good Luck, and let us know if you do try this.

Holy shite!!!.....and here I was going to suggest chopping it up and throwing it in with some KD and extra cheese....

Great post MD.....can I come over for dinner??? ;) :) :) :)

Philcott
11-26-2015, 11:07 AM
I agree with M. Dean. I was going to just suggest lightly misting them with water/soya and then sprinkling with cayenne pepper before drying in the oven on low 170 deg. That way you can hot it up as much as you want.

Jagermeister
11-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Jambalaya...............what are you waiting for?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etffxJVAwIc

ACB
11-26-2015, 01:09 PM
With our 2014 moose, we put in an order for 100 lbs of hot pepperoni sticks. This was my second time using a butcher with a good reputation. My first year I wasn't entirely happy with my pepperonis or cheese smokies, so we addressed my concerns and made it clear we wanted HOT pepperonis this time. So we get our order back, the pepperonis are bland, not much flavour, and the flavour this is there is far from hot. I'm guessing the spice mixture was way low, and the meat wasn't mixed thoroughly, as some packages are somewhat acceptable, but most are not.

Also, the cheese smokies had next to no cheese, and they were pretty dry...have a friend in Alberta and his butcher in Grande Prairie makes incredible cheese smokies, it'll be worth the gas money to drive over next year I'm thinking....highly disappointing but the smokies were easily improved by adding cheese in the bun.

No moose in 2015, so I'm looking at this huge pile of pepperoni sticks in my freezer, and wondering how to make this better? Not at all interested in trying to work anything out with the butcher, way too late for that, and we decided we won't use his services again, never heard of a butcher refunding money, so didn't see the point to address the issue a third time.

Been mostly using them in chili, cheese and crackers, and snacking on them time to time, hoping they get better with age...the dogs usually get half of the package, I just get bitter eating them haha

Is it possible to get them reground and redone?....I've called one butcher and he said he's never done that and not interested in trying...am I stuck with these things or what?
If you are happy with the way your butcher cuts the rest of your game and not happy with the sausage, next time just tell him that you'v started making your own and to put the amount of trim you want for sausage in 10-15 LB. bags. Then take it to someone that you like the way they make the type of sausage you want or you could try making it yourself. I think you are stuck with the crappy pepperonis and have to make due with what you have. The meat cutter I use told us quite a few years ago that oh ya I make sausage as well now, would you like some made so we said sure how about some pepperonis well it was so dry and not hot at all that the next year not wanting to hurt his feelings we said that we were trying are own hand at making it.

2slow
11-26-2015, 02:23 PM
I had a batch of pepperoni made up that was fairly bland when I got it from the butcher. It was also more the consistancy of pizza pepperoni and I prefer the dryer pepperoni stick style. I stuck them in the oven on the lowest setting straight on the racks with the door slightly propped open with a wooden spoon and dried them until they were the right consistency and man when I bit into the first one it almost melted my eyeballs out they were so spicy.

tuner
11-26-2015, 02:56 PM
The soon to arrive Syrian refugees will be hungry, nothing says "welcome to Canada" like a shit load of moose meat pepperoni! Just sayin.

Brno22F
11-26-2015, 04:25 PM

And then drag their arse all over your carpet to soothe the ring of fire.

Spicy hot pepperoni is not a good dog treat.

Deer_Slayer
11-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Best thing is just hand em over to me. I hate to see you suffer. I will do the unenviable task of consuming it all...

Beaverhunter
11-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Best way is to get good consistent sausage is to make your own. It's not really that hard and you know exactly who's meat is in it and you can customize it to your taste. If you have any question pm me and I will share what I know about making sausage.

markrfarley
12-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Had the same problem with a load of smokies. I pickled them and they were awesome.

markrfarley
12-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Pickle Brine
one brine is enough for two pint jars.
bring to a boil 1-1/2 cups of pickling vinegar
1 cup of water
3/4 cup of white sugar
12 whole allspice
1 tbs pickling spice
Boil untill sugar is disolved. Cool

BCBRAD
12-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Around here the butcher will take 20 lbs of meat for a batch of sausage pepperoni etc. So when we get an animal we take a shoulder and cut the meat into ~20lb zip-loc bags, freeze it and take it to him whenever we want through out the year.
Also, some butchers will weigh the animal in and charge you 'x' cents a pound, then when you want sausage at the same time charge you for that on top of the weigh in price.