PDA

View Full Version : Any one able to show me how to field hunt waterfowl?

carson
11-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Brand new to the sport and eager to learn. I have a 12 gauge and a field! Please let me know if you'd be willing to show me the ropes. I am in Pitt Meadows, but would be happy to come to you if that works better. thanks

pnbrock
11-25-2015, 07:59 AM
does your field hold birds ?corn /grass field,is there standing or running water ?

edgy
11-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the insanity Carson, if you already have a field to hunt, you have a good start, and without a doubt someone will want to get out into that field with you, so you should have no trouble finding a mentor.as pnbrock asked, the type of field will make a difference as to how you hunt, so a little more info on the field will help get you advice. If, by some miracle, you do not find a mentor soon, pm me, and I will try to get you out in the fields I hunt, but I am out past Chilliwack, so it would be a bit of a drive for you. Good luck!

carson
11-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the replies pnbrock and edgy. The field I've been given permission to hunt by a friend is grass - it is hayed in the summer. Located in the Pitt Polder-ish area, 30 acres, bordered by dykes and blueberries. I have been by it a number of times but have not seen flocks in it. I walked it on the weekend after a few days without rain and there is a family-room sized standing puddle in the middle. I'm assuming after a rain that it'd grow. Ringing the property is a ditch, water-filled for 1 and 1/2 sides. While walking I jumped a few ducks, a couple of whom flew in the right direction -- back towards the centre of the field where I could have had a shot at them had I been carrying a gun. The others flew down the ditch, away from the property, landing with another dozen or so in no-man's land. I waited at the edge of the field until the sun went down, but didn't see any more birds heading home anywhere in the sky in the immediate vicinity. Really appreciate the offer edgy - I may pm you at some point and see if I can't come out and learn a thing or two!

J-Man
11-25-2015, 03:27 PM
It's pretty cold, is the field frozen in the morning? That could be why its not busy, also ducks prefer fields that had corn, kale or squashes in them previously. The fields in Surrey are frozen over so I've been stuck hunting the public land lately.

carson
11-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks J-Man. Yes - frosty in the morning here too. I was wondering how attractive a simple grass field would be...

ZacNap
11-25-2015, 06:46 PM
pm 'd sent

edgy
11-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks J-Man. Yes - frosty in the morning here too. I was wondering how attractive a simple grass field would be...
A grass field with standing water is one of my favourite things to hunt, we just need a good week of rain to get things going :) you said you have a puddle in the field, that will grow with some rain, and you should get some good hunting in

J-Man
12-01-2015, 02:58 PM
A grass field with standing water is one of my favourite things to hunt, we just need a good week of rain to get things going :) you said you have a puddle in the field, that will grow with some rain, and you should get some good hunting in

If its water :), -4 for each morning not a lot of water around.

Sako 75
12-03-2015, 12:17 AM
It's pretty cold, is the field frozen in the morning? That could be why its not busy, also ducks prefer fields that had corn, kale or squashes in them previously. The fields in Surrey are frozen over so I've been stuck hunting the public land lately.
Hey J-Man, lots of rain coming this week. I might have opening for you this weekend. Gave me PM.