PDA

View Full Version : DU Dinner

The Hermit
11-23-2015, 10:10 PM
As a new waterfowler, I went to my first Ducks Unlimited dinner/fund raiser last weekend in Sidney. Had a great time and met some great folks. I'll be joining this organization in short order! I really like that 80% of all their fund raising goes directly to on the ground conservation projects!

I sat with my MLA, Gary Holbrook (NDP), a Councillor for my municipality (he is a Green supporter), and a Councillor for the municipality adjacent (NDP), so was able to bend their collective ears about Dr Weaver's private member bills and the failings of the same. I was able to provide them with some sorely needed education about hunting as a conservation tool. To their credit each of them was open, asked relevant questions, and seemed appreciative of the new information that arose from the discussion. One of the national directors for DU was also at the table and was very helpful in getting the points across too.

The only bummer in the evening was I didn't win any of the hundreds of great prizes! LOL

Mik
11-23-2015, 11:48 PM
That sure is a different structured world for prize donations. I have been a DU volunteer for quite a number of years a long time ago. Dinners were always great. won lots of prizes�� But having said that, it is a Challenge to get those people that attend a DU dinner to come out to a local Fish & Game club dinner.

The Hermit
11-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Mik - Actually got Gary Holman (MLA) and Alicia Cormier (Central Saanich Councillor and Federal NDP candidate) to commit to attending the VFGPA's game dinner this March coming.

6.5x55
11-24-2015, 11:48 AM
its too bad that DU has become primarily a conservation organization ,not supporting hunters. When DU becomes involved in a project there is usually a loss of already limited hunting opportunity for the area. Delta Waterfowl is the place to be for hunters.

The Hermit
11-24-2015, 12:07 PM
its too bad that DU has become primarily a conservation organization ,not supporting hunters. When DU becomes involved in a project there is usually a loss of already limited hunting opportunity for the area. Delta Waterfowl is the place to be for hunters.

Oh man I sure didn't get that impression at the dinner or on their website. I'd be interested to know more about that angle. I am attracted to them because they are all about habitat restoration, and they make it appear that they are very pro-hunting. School me.

Foxton Gundogs
11-24-2015, 09:00 PM

DU is trying to change that perception I have every hope change will be coming.

Chessieguy
11-24-2015, 10:14 PM
I have to agree with 6.5x55 on that one. I was a DU Chapter chair back in NB for many years and while I still support the organization, the change to a conservation organization was extremely noticeable.
I jumped to Delta and the difference was huge... It was almost all hunters, and they strongly supported hunters and the investment back to the grassroots was fantastic. It was not all about the big money dinners, any little event that you could put together was supported.