PDA

View Full Version : Best Day Ever!!!

Ramshot
11-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Well I haven't posted anything on HBC in a long time. Mostly because of the BS. But I had such a great hunt with my youngest boy on Saturday that I figured what the hell. He has been bugging me to go hunting for the last couple weeks and seeing the huge deer pictures friends and family had been texting me he was relentless. So I texted my kid brother Friday night and said to him "can me and Bart tag along with you Saturday morning"? He texted back "be at mom's and Dad's at 6:15" and don't be late! I told Bart to be ready to be up early and he had his gear ready and was in bed right away. I never even had to wake Bart up as when I told him it was time to go he said he had been up since 3:30 staring at his clock. We jumped in my truck and met my brother and niece at our folks house. After a quick A&W stop we were headed out of town. We got to s spot where I had seen a nice 5x5 and 4x4 whitetail a few days earlier. We started glassing and were seeing whitetail does immediately. I told Bart be ready that something was going to happen. Sure enough 20 minutes later I look on a ridge above the road and a nice whitetail buck was head down and tracking doe's. We bail out of the truck and my kid brother takes the first shot and misses then I touch off right after he shot and miss! The whitetail buck just looks at us from 250 yards and I was quicker on the follow up and down he goes.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/D-whitetail.jpg

I hear Bart and my niece yell "That was awesome". I was feeling bad that I hadn't gotten Bart set-up for a shot having gotten caught up in the moment. LOL. So my brother went and turned the truck around and me and the kids went and dragged the whitetail buck down off the cut. A few pictures and a lesson on field dressing and we were off. My brother told Bart that we were going to drop down into mulie country and that it was "his" turn to get a crack at a buck. Sure enough when we dropped below snow line we started seeing mule deer. Small bucks and lots of does. We came to a good spot to glass and there was 7-8 mulie does in a popular tree draw. I told my brother me and Bart are going to walk down the road and look over where the does were bedded because we couldn't see the entire spot the deer were bedded in. Bart shouldered his 223 and I took my brothers Bog Pod and we snuck down. As soon as we crept over the ridge I could see more deer bedded. When we were right on the edge looking down on the deer my Swarovski binoculars revealed a good buck looking at us at 100 yards. I quickly set up the bog pod and Bart got a bead on the buck. I told him to shoot him in his bed and I kept waiting and nothing? Dad the gun won't fire? Shit the safety was on. I quickly release it for him and the buck jumps up. Bart fires shooting just over him. Well shit deer are running everywhere. He racks another round in and I start whistling and my brother is making sounds up at the truck trying to get him to stop. I tell Bart "wait till he stops" then all of a sudden holy shit the rifle cracks and down goes the buck. I'm shocked. My brother and niece are yelling up at the truck "way to go Bart" and poor old Bart starts to cry in elation "Dad this was the Best Day Ever". Well I'm trying to keep my shit together and I say "let's go look at your buck boy!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Barts_Mulie.jpg

The little 64 grain Nosler Bonded Core broke his back above the shoulders and went down through his chest. My brother and I were blown away at the shot that 11 year old boy made. Another gutting lesson and the kids got to drag the second buck of the morning down to the truck. We got back to our folks place and backed up the skinning pole to get both deer skinned out. My Mom and Dad were very proud of their grandson and what he had accomplished that day. With my mom just being diagnosed with cancer earlier in the week I know this lifted her spirits and made her day.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/BartBucks.jpg

I have to say that I have been fortunate to have harvested stone, California and Rocky mtn rams, Mtn Goat, elk,moose, bear and deer in three different provinces. And I would have to say that this day was one my "Best Days Ever"!

<Ramshot

RugDoctor
11-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Great day for sure! Warms the cockles!

blackwater moose
11-23-2015, 12:02 PM
awesome that you got some young'uns in on the harvest

Tikka270
11-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Awesome job! Can't wait until my daughter and son are old enough to hunt.

Rob Chipman
11-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Nice work!

The Hermit
11-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Excellent! Congrats to your son! Thanks for posting, these kind of posts are my favorite and I hear you about the BS!

11-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Great job on getting the kid out Ramshot!
congradulate the kid!

Hank Hunter
11-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Way to get it done. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

steepNdeep
11-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Awesome!! Can't wait for the day one of my sons asks me to go...

Bugle M In
11-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Hey...that's awesome...congrats.

kodeman
11-23-2015, 12:32 PM
That was awesome. What a day, congrats!

Backwoods
11-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Awesome bucks!!!! And a great storey thanks for sharing!!! Great to see the future hunter with such a big smile or excitement!!!! Congratz to you guys on your harvest!!!

ruttinbuck
11-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Well done Ramshot!
Even better done lambshot!
The first of many great days together I am sure
Sorry to hear about your mom.RB

Wrayzer
11-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Awesome. A couple of good looking bucks.

landphil
11-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Yup, neither of you are going to forget that anytime soon. Congratulations to Bart and yourself!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Awesome stuff, Darrell!!!! Congrats to you both!!!

I completely hear you about it being your best day above all the other animals you've been involved with. My daughter's black bear when she was 11 is still my greatest moment.

Thanks for sharing!!

SSS

Dash
11-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Wow that's fantastic! Great job! I wish I was in your shoes :)

Sorry to hear about your mom. Sending you positive thoughts and vibes! Wishing her the best of luck.

HarryToolips
11-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Sounds like a awesome day, congrats to you and your boy!! And all the best to your mom on her fight with cancer...

wideopenthrottle
11-23-2015, 01:09 PM
beauty...I love the multispecies success in one area..great experience for the kids for sure

Grumpa Joe
11-23-2015, 01:20 PM
What an awesome story! Congratulations to all the participants. There will be good eating this winter.

ElliotMoose
11-23-2015, 01:24 PM
What a special day, thanks for posting! The smile on the kid says it all!

mcmullmar
11-23-2015, 01:25 PM
That was awesome!! Thanks for sharing, and welcome back

fozzy
11-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Your Son will remember that day forever! Congrats to him and good on you and the family for getting him out and involved.
Good luck to your family as your Mom fights the fight. Fresh air during hunting season last year sure helped me cope with the effects of chemo, being stubborn isn't a bad trait either..

paw325
11-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Good job DBB!!!!

I see the kid shoots like his old man....

kennyj
11-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Awesome!!!
kenny

11-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Fantastic!!

rocksteady
11-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Thanks for sharing... Its too bad that so many will not post stories cause they are afraid of getting ragged on..

Good stuff. Congrats to you and your boy..

Xenomorph
11-23-2015, 03:11 PM
HAHA, well done. Look at the smug face on the kid, he knows it, he's going to take papa out from now on, not the way around. :)

srupp
11-23-2015, 03:16 PM
Incredible,! Well done all should be proud!
Thank you for sharing.
Cheers
Srupp

Seeker
11-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Great story Ramshot! You are going to have a tough time keepin up now! haha! I look forward to those days. Thank you for sharing.

VI Blacktails
11-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Good job there's no better feeling than your boy shooting his first deer.

Ourea
11-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Love it.
Prime example how our sport perpetuates.

Blainer
11-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Fantastic share!!

ncurrie
11-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Sounds like a awesome day!! Congrats😊

Muliechaser
11-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Awesome !!!!!!!!!! You both will relive that day for the rest of your life !! Great to hear awesome hunt and beauty bucks !! Congrats !!!

Mc

M.Dean
11-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Good job Bart! And what a day, you and your Dad got a "Double Header"! And your cousin and Uncle were there to help out too! Now that's a family hunting trip to remember!!! And thanks for sharing this with us D.B, now this is the HBC I remember! And our prayer's are with your Mum, with all you boys in her corner, she stands a good chance at winning this battle! And yes, you guys really did have the "Best Day Ever!"

doubled
11-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Good job guys, well done. I bet Bart will never forget this and will pass this along to his kids when the time comes.

savagecanuck
11-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Awsome story a double header with son .Good for you I know the feeling!.Don't ever underestimate what a 223 can do too a deer.Congrats all around

buckshot
11-23-2015, 08:37 PM
Way to go you guys! Getting her done, good eats and nice racks to boot!

Deaddog
11-23-2015, 09:02 PM
great work Darrell, doesn't get better than that, hope to see you both up on the tuchodi next year

Whonnock Boy
11-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Excellent... Just excellent.

mike_b
11-24-2015, 11:53 AM
Priceless!! And congrats

Jelvis
11-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Ab so loot lee awesome hunter, the best day posy bell with the loved ones. And two fantastic deer to remember togedder
Jelly -- really proud of you two