PDA

View Full Version : Predator Hutning

bc-hunter
11-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Hello all,

I received my FoxPro Inferno yesterday and had a chance to try it outside this morning (it's great!! Love it.). I was wondering if anyone can share some tips on calling in predators? Perhaps what call works best, or what call to use (ie. rabbit distress, etc.). I also got the "Black Jack" decoy.

I'm plannign to head out next weekend to region 8/region 3 and hope to help our deer population by bringing back a predator or two (and make some slippers for my wife for Christmas). For the first time, I've seen more wolves then big bucks this hunting season.

86k20
11-22-2015, 03:07 PM
What call depends on time of year but prey distress should work anytime. If calling Coyotes do 20-30 min stands max and move. Add in female howls now and then. cold is good. Cloudy is good. Sunny and or windy (25mph+) not good. Mind your wind. You can go out at night and locate then go back in the mornings and hunt once you know where they are.

rocksteady
11-22-2015, 04:43 PM
I have found predator hunting, especially yotes, is crappy until about 2 to 3 weeks after rifle season closing. ..

Once the boom boom banging stops, they go away from being nocturnal.

timberhunter
11-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Lightning jack works well.
Although I did call in a yote this morning in the timber while rattling for mulies. Not sure why he came to a rattle. But he didn't leave lol.
We set for 30 mins each time. Get in quite a few sets each day. One thing to remember if there is no sign there is not a lot of sence in a set. Look for tracks and scat. Find those and away ya go. We set on a lot of frozen swamps and lakes. Clearings are good as long as there is sign.

bc-hunter
11-23-2015, 06:59 AM
That's great, that's for the pointers! I think this will be some good winter entertainment.

Cheers,
Peter

Ride Red
11-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Set up is everything. Set your caller and decoy(if using one) close to some debris or small shrubbery. In more open fields, especially covered in snow, I'll stand grass in the snow for a little back drop. Be careful where you park your vehicle as yotes are very smart. They'll survey the location before making a move into your set up and you could be busted before you even see them. Vantage points and concealment are keys to success. Eg; Back drop to break up your silhouette and minimize your movements while on stand. As already stated, 30 mins. and I'm moving on. Saturday was bright/sunny and we had 4 yotes come into our first set up, now there are only 3.

benevs
11-23-2015, 08:59 AM
When you say 30 mins and moving on, is that making calls for 30 mins straight then pack up and move to next spot? Or do you make a series of calls and do that every couple of minutes? good points about location, I will keep those in mind when finding an area.

.308SLAYER
11-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Yah buddy there is such thing as over calling maybe distress for a couple of minutes then wait a minute or two. About a month back i got a coyote before work i was calling a known area hiding behing a rock, i seen a coyote pop out on the skyline working his way up the bump on the ridge way out of shooting range. I had hand calls and threw everything i knew at him for what seemed to be 45 minutes he would look down my way lay down wait 10 15 run 100 yards more up the hill lay down again amd watch finally after i got sick of trying to call this coyote i just simply stopped calling and watched him. Another 10 minutes goes back then i believe he was convinved i was dead motored in from 700 yards plugged it at a good range 2 to 3. Long story short i do believe that it is not very hard to over call ive tried a few e callers with the expert hunts thosr are pretty neat then you can concentrate more on looking instead of what call to use or not use cheers buddy good luck . Been hunting yotes for a couple years got a good dozen under my belt this year alone i find that jan feb and march are there territorial and breeding season super fun there very vocal thet can still b called right now though no sweat i just noticed they dont howl as much b ready there fast and small good luck buddy have fun

bc-hunter
11-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Seems like most of you are having success with coyotes. Has anyone lured in a wolf, cougar or bobcat with the same hunting method? Just guessing, but I would say they are more cautious and smarter.

Ramshot
11-23-2015, 07:41 PM
I have called bobcats out with my fox pro fx3. I have had mine for 9 years. It has called in a lot of coyotes.I use mine along with the jack in the box and its deadly. I used my 17 wsm and fox pro on a coyote Sunday. 60 yard shot chest on deader than hell. Looking forward to more sets this winter with the little 17.

Ride Red
11-23-2015, 07:58 PM
When you say 30 mins and moving on, is that making calls for 30 mins straight then pack up and move to next spot? Or do you make a series of calls and do that every couple of minutes? good points about location, I will keep those in mind when finding an area.

Once I'm set up, I usually don't spend more than a half hour at a location. I'll call for a few minutes, wait and watch, then start again. Get out and practice to see what works for you.