PDA

View Full Version : BC Yukon AIr

r_haines
11-20-2015, 04:46 PM
does anyone know who the pilot and the owners are gor this company ?

Rackmastr
11-20-2015, 04:49 PM
This past fall there was a pilot named St Claire who was flying for them. They had a couple different pilots flying for them it sounded like.

Garret
11-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Billy and Devlin Oestreich out of Dease lake is what I heard.

r_haines
11-20-2015, 04:59 PM
thanks guys appreciate it

yama49
11-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Outfitter owned now, sad to say its not going b same as it was. Already not flying people into where they want, of course they have a excuse.

HCH
11-20-2015, 05:10 PM
I thought Bruce owned that company?

Rackmastr
11-20-2015, 05:22 PM
I thought Bruce owned that company?

Not sure how long ago he sold, but the Oestreich's own it now, and had a few different pilots flying for them this year.

two-feet
11-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Used them this year. I would give a mixed review.

Alfonz
11-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Outfitter owned now, sad to say its not going b same as it was. Already not flying people into where they want, of course they have a excuse.

That explains why they won't quote on a flight to Little Bluesheep.:sad:
I guess the thing to do would be get more guys and hire a twin otter from somewhere else to keep costs down:-P

goinghunting
11-20-2015, 09:27 PM
I guess the thing to do would be get more guys and hire a twin otter from somewhere else to keep costs down:-P

Yup, basically if you want into bradfords area your flying out of watson or muncho. Might make his area the place to be?

quarterman
11-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Guess I wont be flying with them this year, F*#$%ng outfitters

r_haines
11-20-2015, 11:09 PM
yea i thought bradford was the pilot thats why i was asking

turbolar
11-21-2015, 10:10 PM
I made arangements with this company to fly fuel into the Stikine River this year and the day i was leaving to go on my hunt they phoned me and said if i wanted them to fly in my fuel it would be 3 times the price they quoted me 2 months before. Put me in a real bad spot. I would never use them or recomend them to anyone ever, THEY ARE ASSSSSSSSS HOLLLLLLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deaddog
11-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Tsayata air or alpine air. Both reliable decent company's and for where I wanted to go never had an issue. Rates were much better than flying off dease lk

Caribou_lou
11-21-2015, 11:16 PM
I flew with them this year. Pilots were good. We flew into Bradfords area and they didn't have a problem. I don't think they touch the lake we went to. Prices were up there. But it is what it is.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-22-2015, 06:47 AM
I flew with them this year. Pilots were good. We flew into Bradfords area and they didn't have a problem. I don't think they touch the lake we went to. Prices were up there. But it is what it is.

Is "them" Tsyata.....or Bradfords??

I heard from from a good source that Bradfords are further restricting residents from flying into any lake where there is an outfitter. So they will no longer be flying into places like Level.

bearvalley
11-22-2015, 08:44 AM
I made arangements with this company to fly fuel into the Stikine River this year and the day i was leaving to go on my hunt they phoned me and said if i wanted them to fly in my fuel it would be 3 times the price they quoted me 2 months before. Put me in a real bad spot. I would never use them or recomend them to anyone ever, THEY ARE ASSSSSSSSS HOLLLLLLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having heard a little about your fuel issue I would suggest that maybe you're calling the wrong party A- holes.
You were basing your quote off the price you were paying the previous operator who was using other flights to cheapen yours.
In other words...someone else was subsidizing your cheap trips. Probably a GO and I have a good idea who.
The present operators of BC Yukon quoted you the trip rate.
Were those your fuel cans that went back south in Keith's truck?

bearvalley
11-22-2015, 08:52 AM

I heard from from a good source that Bradfords are further restricting residents from flying into any lake where there is an outfitter. So they will no longer be flying into places like Level.

BC Yukon will put residents on outfitter lakes. They are in the business to fly clients. They do have a policy to try and limit the amount of parties at one location. That makes more sense than some flying companies that seem to like to stack up camps along the shoreline.
Tysata, Alpine Lakes and BC Yukon are all good operators.

Baconator
11-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Last year there were two Beavers flying out of Watson Lake. If you are flying north of Tuya Lake they are an option. However in my case flying out of Watson Lake would add a couples days to my trip. Maybe when I retire! I have been flying with BC Yukon for thirty years. Three different owners, no complaints! However it seems strange not flying with Bruce.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Last year there were two Beavers flying out of Watson Lake. If you are flying north of Tuya Lake they are an option. However in my case flying out of Watson Lake would add a couples days to my trip. Maybe when I retire! I have been flying with BC Yukon for thirty years. Three different owners, no complaints! However it seems strange not flying with Bruce.

I believe Black Sheep moved into Watson. More competition is good.

Cordillera
11-22-2015, 09:04 PM
BC Yukon will put residents on outfitter lakes. They are in the business to fly clients. They do have a policy to try and limit the amount of parties at one location. That makes more sense than some flying companies that seem to like to stack up camps along the shoreline.
Tysata, Alpine Lakes and BC Yukon are all good operators.

With three different operators flying out of Dease does anyone know if they try to coordinate their flights? I had a buddy fly into a lake and there was another party there already. It turned out ok but it was a small lake and not really the right place for two parties. I am guessing it is just too complicated to coordinate.

Five years ago when only Bruce flew out of Dease Lake you knew you'd were likely the only party on a lake!

bearvalley
11-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Tsayta flies out of Telegragh Creek, Alpine Lakes is out of Tattoga and BC Yukon bases in Dease.

Caribou_lou
11-22-2015, 11:05 PM

"Them" is bcyukonair. Sorry for that.

We did have one hick up. We were informed that we had to pay a deposit to save the lake because they only flew one party in at a time. Which I thought was great. We had our dates booked just under a year in advance.

Now here is the kicker. "I should note this is my theory of how it played out" Another group wanted to go to the same lake, but bcyukonair informed them that a group was already booked for that lake and date. The other hunting party asked what date we were going in to try and book around us. After they had our dates they called a pilot out of Watson lake and booked going in 2 days ahead of us.

I don't think I'm out of line thinking that is how it went down. We talked to the group and they were nice guys. They told us that bcyukonair never returned their calls so they had to fly out of Watson. I didn't buy it. They paid extra to get there before us though. Upwards of 600$ one way.

two-feet
11-22-2015, 11:21 PM
"Them" is bcyukonair. Sorry for that.

We did have one hick up. We were informed that we had to pay a deposit to save the lake because they only flew one party in at a time. Which I thought was great. We had our dates booked just under a year in advance.

Now here is the kicker. "I should note this is my theory of how it played out" Another group wanted to go to the same lake, but bcyukonair informed them that a group was already booked for that lake and date. The other hunting party asked what date we were going in to try and book around us. After they had our dates they called a pilot out of Watson lake and booked going in 2 days ahead of us.

I don't think I'm out of line thinking that is how it went down. We talked to the group and they were nice guys. They told us that bcyukonair never returned their calls so they had to fly out of Watson. I didn't buy it. They paid extra to get there before us though. Upwards of 600$ one way.

we had the exact scenario happen to us this year but the other party flew out of telegraph. Sounds eerily similar.

Caribou_lou
11-22-2015, 11:31 PM
we had the exact scenario happen to us this year but the other party flew out of telegraph. Sounds eerily similar.

Im guessing we weren't the only ones that this happened to. Probably happened many times start of August

StuBrown
11-22-2015, 11:54 PM
While everyone is sharing flight stories I will share mine from this year. This is the first year I have ever done anything like this at all. Never done a fly in of any kind. I hired Alpine Air to fly myself and my partner into where we going. I arranged it all including flying our canoe into the lake. Once we arrived for our scheduled time we were told we would have to wait at least 3 hours as they were flying someone else out first... Okay, not a huge deal but if we knew this in advance we could have made better travel plans and not pushed so hard to get there.

Also we were going over weight allowance that the office told us and the pilot said I wish they would stop doing that. He said he could not do that weight and that we might have to take extra flights on top of what we planned even if we had gotten animals.

Then the pilot told us that he would not fly our canoe into the lake even though the office told us that it would be no problem. We would have left the canoe at home and brought an inflatable...

Once we waited the 3 hours the pilot then said I might be to big to fly. Why did he not say this when he first met us? Yes I am a very large man. I am a former pro wrestler and have quite some weight and size to me. When I sent the weight in by email they said no issue at all. He brought me to the plane and seen if I could fit the seat belts and was clear of the foot pedals and stick which I was. We were good to go after a lot of worrying and wondering if we wasted our time travelling so far.

We were finally good to go and the rest of the trip was amazing. The flights out were perfect as well. I was happy with Alpine air for the most part but their communication was absolutely terrible. Will I fly with them again? Only if I have to. I would probably pick someone else first if there is a choice.

two-feet
11-23-2015, 08:10 AM
We waited 3 days after calling to get out, but that is aviation. It was my first fly trip for hunting and a real eye opener on several fronts. It was great but i will try some other things first before I fly again.

Baconator
11-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Having more than one party doubled up on a lake can be frustrating, especially if it is small lake. I have been sticking to larger lakes lately for that reason. Over the years I have had more trips ruined by having my partner cancelling at the last moment. As we get older we seem to have more health issues. To prevent this I have been lining up a retired fellow as a back up. Of course I pick up all the costs and there are no guarantees. Seems to work for me.

Garret
11-23-2015, 12:25 PM
I believe Black Sheep moved into Watson. More competition is good.

They haven't moved they have had a hanger in Watson for yrs, they are starting to do more flights out of Watson but depending on the demand from clients and outfitters. They do most of their stuff out of mayo still.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-23-2015, 12:52 PM
They haven't moved they have had a hanger in Watson for yrs, they are starting to do more flights out of Watson but depending on the demand from clients and outfitters. They do most of their stuff out of mayo still.

Thanks for the clarification, Garret.

turbolar
11-23-2015, 01:40 PM
For the record. I made arangements to have fuel flown in 4 months before my trip, price was discussed and agreed on. Numerous phone calls to Yukon Air over the next 4 months and always another promise that my fuel would be there and another excuse why it wasnt. Finaly the morning i am leaving to go i am told the price would be substancly more than agreed on. The part that puts a sour taste in my mouth is that they wait until the last minute to up the price, if they could not do what they promised,then at least tell me before the last minute, so i could make other arangements. I do understand things change. But give me the curdousy of not leaving it to the last day and ruin my hunt that i have being planning all year.

ve7iuq
11-23-2015, 11:16 PM
What charter outfit does Keith Connor's have?

Caribou_lou
11-23-2015, 11:39 PM
What charter outfit does Keith Connor's have?

I believe he ran Ootsa Air out of Dease. But that plane looks similar to the one we flew out on so I wouldn't be surprised if he sold out to bc yukon air.

BCbillies
11-23-2015, 11:53 PM
I believe he ran Ootsa Air out of Dease. But that plane looks similar to the one we flew out on so I wouldn't be surprised if he sold out to bc yukon air.

That's it. The GO controls all flights out of Dease now as he bought out both Bruce and Keith. They will take your money but not do you any favours or drop you off in their territory in their decent sheep areas. Kinda sucks that they can't even stomach to give a resident hunter a congrats or crack a smile when a nice critter is loaded into the plane. Lots of changing of the goal posts and excuses at the 11th hour. I have a feeling the guys dropping 40k are getting better treatment.

Xenomorph
11-24-2015, 01:15 AM
I have a feeling the guys dropping 40k are getting better treatment.

You mean money doesn't talk?!? Jokes aside, it's bad to see bad business practices like this.

BiG Boar
11-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Rates out of Dease went up to $10 a mile from $8. And he'll lie to you, telling you he can't fly you into such and such lake because of the lake level. Then you'll watch him land there. Pretty dishonest IMO. Needs a boycott till he realizes he needs residents to run the business.

bearvalley
11-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Rates out of Dease went up to $10 a mile from $8. And he'll lie to you, telling you he can't fly you into such and such lake because of the lake level. Then you'll watch him land there. Pretty dishonest IMO. Needs a boycott till he realizes he needs residents to run the business.

How long ago was the rate $8 a mile for the Beaver?
It seems to me like a whole lot of BS is being peddled in this thread.
I've paid the bills to both Ootsa when they were in business and BC Yukon presently and $8 a mile has not been a recent rate for either.
When it comes to landing on low water lakes...that's the pilots call. Not going there under full load is a better option than piling up an airplane.
Sometimes they'll land empty where they won't land loaded.
The business runs no different today than it did under Keith or Bruce when they were there.

BgBlkDg
11-24-2015, 09:11 AM
This seems much like the use of airstrips in northern BC, built and maintained by governments, paid for by we taxpayers, by GOs, who also make restrictive deals with air carriers to fly only their clients into certain areas.

The best option here as with most GO issues is to just ban all non-resident alien hunting in BC and then watch them whine and wiggle.

If, a BC citizen cannot get flown to a given lake, then NO others should be allowed to land there, either.

The GOs actually are much more a detriment to BC hunting than they are a benefit, especially loudmouths such as some we see here......the real BSers.

Xenomorph
11-24-2015, 10:23 AM
This seems much like the use of airstrips in northern BC, built and maintained by governments, paid for by we taxpayers, by GOs, who also make restrictive deals with air carriers to fly only their clients into certain areas.

The best option here as with most GO issues is to just ban all non-resident alien hunting in BC and then watch them whine and wiggle.

If, a BC citizen cannot get flown to a given lake, then NO others should be allowed to land there, either.

The GOs actually are much more a detriment to BC hunting than they are a benefit, especially loudmouths such as some we see here......the real BSers.

What I wonder though is how come we-the hunters-haven't made a corporation and buy them out one by one. I know for some it might sound stupid, but if the government is not willing to listen to reason then buy them out, allow the certain number of tags to be used and make the corporation viable while the rest will be invested in maintaining and furthering the "conservation" and resident hunter interest.

I think everyone should start thinking with their brains instead of their hearts and mouths. It's capitalism gentlemen. Let's conform to it and play by their rules. Money talks and that's the sad truth of things ...but a GO corporation owned by RH to add to the voice of "the rest" ....now just imagine how much stronger of a clout would that give us as resident hunters.

Please don't flame, it's an opinion, digest it, let me know the pros and cons. It's an idea.

boxhitch
11-24-2015, 10:59 AM
What I wonder though is how come we-the hunters-haven't made a corporation and buy them out one by one.Like the savethebearraincoast group. It only takes enough money.

bearvalley
11-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Haha.
Good old BgBlkDg, Devilbear, Kutenay or "what's his name today".
More boisterous input on a subject where you have no personal knowledge.

yama49
11-24-2015, 06:08 PM
How long ago was the rate $8 a mile for the Beaver 2013 8/mile with BC Yukon... 2014 8/mile out of watson
It seems to me like a whole lot of BS is being peddled in this thread.
I've paid the bills to both Ootsa when they were in business and BC Yukon presently and $8 a mile has not been a recent rate for either.
When it comes to landing on low water lakes...that's the pilots call. Not going there under full load is a better option than piling up an airplane.
Sometimes they'll land empty where they won't land loaded.
The business runs no different today than it did under Keith or Bruce when they were there. If your an outfitter you probably see the change, would you??

So you don't mind us flying into your lakes and using your cabins, now would you?:tongue:

bearvalley
11-24-2015, 06:12 PM
So you don't mind us flying into your lakes and using your cabins, now would you?:tongue:

No problem with the lakes. I don't own them.
I'll trade you cabin use for the use of your house.
Make sure there's beer in the fridge.

edit:
I like your red highlighted quote rates.
One note l will make is that Beavers don't run for free and $10 a mile isn't a get rich deal for a charter outfit operating under the flying conditions BC Yukon deals with.
I would rather pay the $10 a mile to get in a plane driven by competent pilots like Billy, Myles, Dale and St Claire than save a buck and get scraped off a mountain side... but each to their own.

BgBlkDg
11-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Yep, started mountain flying in April, 65, certainly do like competent pilots and in the BCFS, AFS and CCG, we had some of the best, usually top guys from CanForce and the UK-RAF.

Just today I was talking with a relative, has his licence and had a twin engine based in Nelson. Hes thinking of buying another plane and wants to return to some northern lakes he hunted from years ago. My best buddy, has his rotary licence and I would like to do some Yukon trips.

I have flown with a couple well known BC GOs, but, why pay when you don't have to?

g_worsnop
11-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Anyone have contact information on telegraph creek?

yama49
11-24-2015, 07:48 PM
No problem with the lakes. I don't own them.
I'll trade you cabin use for the use of your house.
Make sure there's beer in the fridge.

edit:
I like your red highlighted quote rates.
One note l will make is that Beavers don't run for free and $10 a mile isn't a get rich deal for a charter outfit operating under the flying conditions BC Yukon deals with.
I would rather pay the $10 a mile to get in a plane driven by competent pilots like Billy, Myles, Dale and St Claire than save a buck and get scraped off a mountain side... but each to their own.

Beer in the fridge always.. I was just commenting on your question about rates. I never said i was looking for the cheapest, or 10$ isn't worth it..

yama49
11-24-2015, 07:50 PM
Anyone have contact information on telegraph creek?

Rick is in telegraph creek http://www.flightsnorth.com/contactus.html I thought he was a great pilot...

Cordillera
11-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Tsayta flies out of Telegragh Creek, Alpine Lakes is out of Tattoga and BC Yukon bases in Dease.

So let me follow: ootsa air doesn't fly out of dease anymore? And Tsayta is only out of telegraph even though they still show dease on their website?

Rackmastr
11-24-2015, 10:36 PM
So let me follow: ootsa air doesn't fly out of dease anymore? And Tsayta is only out of telegraph even though they still show dease on their website?

Correct. Tsayta may have an office in Dease or do some work there, but they charter from Telegraph. Ootsa isnt flying out of Dease anymore and as someone has pointed out, I beleive BC Yukon is currently using his plane in their fleet now.

Avalanche123
11-24-2015, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=bearvalley

I would rather pay the $10 a mile to get in a plane driven by competent pilots like Billy, Myles, Dale and St Claire than save a buck and get scraped off a mountain side... but each to their own.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth.

Deaddog
11-25-2015, 12:27 AM
Isn't that the truth.

both tsayata air our of telegraph and the guys out of watson , scoop lake have great competent pilots as well, flown with them a number of times and never had a bad experience

decker9
11-25-2015, 02:14 AM

We flew in with that twin otter this passed season, on our way out we picked up two lucky fellas with a hell'ova 12 year old long heavy ram at little blue, the outfitter greeted them with hot coffee and cookies when they got back to the lake. Talking with Urs after, basically said "I don't give a rats ass who's outfit it is". Good on him! Would gladly fly with him again. Maybe even to little blue ;)

Deaddog
11-25-2015, 07:41 AM
for those that don't know , a large number of the float plane services are owned by outfitters who fly residents during hunting season on a daily basis. I have no problem when pilots tell me they won't stack hunters up on a lake. I would prefer the straight up truth vs those that will fly as many as will pay to the same lake. That said I don't expect the float plane guys to organize my hunt, so if another company has people on the same lake...who cares, lots of country out there. this year on our moose hunt another party of two was brought in by a different charter service, they hunted a week in the same area and we never did see them. I have used the services of all the float plane companies in region six/watson lake, never had a bad experience and never left feeling ripped off. A number of outfitters in region six are trying to work with residents on a number of wildlife related issues, I support those who are willing to work for the betterment of fish wildlife and habitat.

sheep hunter
11-25-2015, 04:04 PM
I have emailed Bill the owner of BC Yukon Air and have booked my 2016 August hunt already. I have never flown with his outfit before but have met Bill out in the field and have nothing but good to say about him as a person and he's great to deal with. Bill and I chatted and discussed the flight cost and availability of flying back into his area with no issues what so ever, Bill did explain about their policy of not putting people on top of each other at each lake.

I had an issue last fall where I had booked early but there was three (Four including us) other parties going into the same lake. I changed plans at the last minute and went somewhere else..

Xenomorph
11-25-2015, 04:58 PM
A number of outfitters in region six are trying to work with residents on a number of wildlife related issues, I support those who are willing to work for the betterment of fish wildlife and habitat.

Examples please, because me personally I wouldn't mind giving them business if that's the truth and the opportunity arises. I think constructive work between GO and RH groups would yield the best outcomes for us all, but then again, it's my opinion and not many will share it.

albravo2
11-25-2015, 05:14 PM
for those that don't know , a large number of the float plane services are owned by outfitters who fly residents during hunting season on a daily basis. I have no problem when pilots tell me they won't stack hunters up on a lake. I would prefer the straight up truth vs those that will fly as many as will pay to the same lake. That said I don't expect the float plane guys to organize my hunt, so if another company has people on the same lake...who cares, lots of country out there. this year on our moose hunt another party of two was brought in by a different charter service, they hunted a week in the same area and we never did see them. I have used the services of all the float plane companies in region six/watson lake, never had a bad experience and never left feeling ripped off. A number of outfitters in region six are trying to work with residents on a number of wildlife related issues, I support those who are willing to work for the betterment of fish wildlife and habitat.

Sensible comment. I wish more people looked for the common ground on this topic. Outfitters and resident hunters are two sides of the same coin and more will be accomplished working together than at odds.

argyle1
11-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Kieth sold the Beaver to BC Yukon and the Ootsa Air license to some people from ft st James (Mac Blackwell is flying for them)

Cordillera
11-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Kieth sold the Beaver to BC Yukon and the Ootsa Air license to some people from ft st James (Mac Blackwell is flying for them)

Thanks. It did seem crowded a few years ago with three flying off dease.