PDA

View Full Version : I Have Come for Camaraderie

Eva_Hunts
11-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Hallo all,
My name is Eva and it's a pleasure to share in the energy and experience of hunting with you all.
I'm new to hunting, but with what I've garnered thus far it seems we'll all always be new to hunting. Simply put it has been life enhancing in it's multitudes and ultimately f***king incredible!

In my first season I have been blessed by friends who have taken me under their wings, thrown me into freezing rivers, forced me up mountains that reach up well beyond the heavens, shared moonshine with me in their blinds, made me poke a dirty rectum with a scalpel, and forced my arm deep into the chest cavity of a beast only to come out of it holding the warm and bleeding heart of an animal. I'm growing to enjoy feeling wildly uncomfortable, it's in fact addictive.

Thanks for having me, for sharing your knowledge, experiences, and curiosities. May we all smile eternally over the sight of life breathing and bleeding for us all.

Eva

nolimits
11-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Oh, I think you come here to cause trouble not to look for camaraderie.

markathome
11-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Did Margaret Atwood just join HBC?

I'm kidding - welcome to the site.

I think lately we've been dropping the tradition of a first time post starting with a joke... how about you revive that tradition?

Eva_Hunts
11-20-2015, 04:07 PM
A joke hey? My season so far!

rides bike to work
11-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the site

Did you kill anything this year

wideopenthrottle
11-20-2015, 04:14 PM
welcome..in lieu of a joke so far, perhaps you cold tell everyone what is your preferred hunt (by animal or by location or by companionship whichever makes a hunt special to you is fine)

Xenomorph
11-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Welcome to the site

Did you kill anything this year
I think she just did :)

A joke hey? My season so far!

Welcome to the site Eva

moosinaround
11-20-2015, 04:16 PM
welcome to HBC. Moosin

huntcoop
11-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Your pic or you never happened.

Piperdown
11-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Coop you're killing me :)

Eva_Hunts
11-20-2015, 05:14 PM
No preferred hunt thus far as I've done so little, but my first kill was incredible. It was on my 3rd trip, prior to this I had about 14 days of black tail pursuit under my belt but I was still as pathetically confused about what to do as when I started. We were in new country / reg 8 / my friends tossed me out of the car and said "you see that mountain, go up there, good luck." For the first three days I hiked and hiked and glassed and glassed and pulled cactus out of my ass and glassed some more until I spotted my first spiker within a herd of does. I tried to stalk them but they were on to me and pretty much teleported from 50 yards to 300 yards within a minute. I gave up and glassed again well into sunset. I started to pick out travel routes and movement patterns and slowly pieces started to fall into place (it helps when you're in the desert as their isn't much cover for them). On the 4th morning I decided on a location with tons of visibility to glass from, approached it about an hour before sunrise and sat waiting. Low and behold like clockwork a herd emerged from some thick brush at exactly the same time as the day before. I watched them carefully from about 400 yards as they filed out one after another. My location was somewhat strategic as I saw deer pass on both sides of my perch the day previous, so i hoped that the same travel routes would be used again. After about 15 minutes of watching countless does emerge from the brush a lone forker revealed himself as the caboose. My heart exploded and i was shaking with excitement. I waited for about 20 minutes until they came within 30 yards of me. I couldn't see them from where I was as I was now laying flat on my back but I could hear them to my left, and just under my perch. I needed to know if the buck had also followed them so i eased up slowly to glance over the ledge and there i saw about 20 does and fawns all looking up at me. I blew it. f**k.
10 seconds later the buck emerged from behind a brush and i instantly knew what i had to do. bam @ 40 yards.

huntingfamily
11-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Cool story Eva.
What rifle and calibre are you shooting?

rides bike to work
11-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Awsome hunt and well told story. Definatly a welcome addition around here.
Pics

any animal at the top of your list to hunt?

300H&H
11-20-2015, 10:44 PM
10 seconds later the buck emerged from behind a brush and i instantly knew what i had to do. bam @ 40 yards.

Welcome to HBC Eva...did your maiden name used to start with Shock__ ?

Oh BTW no pictures no kill. Post em !

hoochie
11-20-2015, 11:08 PM
outstanding!
you learned more in a few days than many people have in a year or two.
excellent story.
Welcome!

kennyj
11-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Welcome to HBC. Great story. Congratulations on your first buck.
kenny

hunter1947
11-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Lots of excellent input from this site ,,welcome to the forum..

Buckmeister
11-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the site, and cool story. If I had been in ur situation, I wouldn't have lied on my back, but rather just sat stock still and watched. If you don't move, they don't usually see you has been my experience. Then you don't spook them when you suddenly "emerge".
Cheers.

Spy
11-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Welcome to HBC :-)

brian
11-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Eva, you made some rookie mistakes BUT you did more right than wrong. Putting yourself in the right place at the right time is what it takes to hunt. Picking apart the landscape and figuring out how the deer are using it are veteran skills. Congratulations, you just may be a natural!

Oh and you were hunting mulies not blacktails.