PDA

View Full Version : New, determined and looking for advice

Dash
11-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Hi all,

I'm very new to hunting and this forum and I'm hoping I can get some advice and guidance from some of you :)

I'll share a bit about myself and my recent adventures.

As a little girl I accompanied my dad and older brother on a lot of their hunting and fishing trips but unfortunately I don't remember most of them. My dad passed unexpectedly a year and a half ago unfortunately otherwise I would be going to him for advice now that I've decided to get into hunting. My older brother hasn't done much hunting in his adult life but he's helped where he could and is trying to get back into it as well. I love the outdoors and spend most my free time fishing, crabbing, camping or kayaking. I'm not sure why I waited so long to get back into hunting but better late than never right? I've had my PAL for a couple years and I recently home studied and passed the C.O.R.E.

A few weeks ago I purchased a moose and mule tag (I know, wishful thinking..) and went camping/hunting with my fiance, my brother and his fiance. We up to Andy's lake near Brookmere and hunted around that area. We got up every morning and went out every evening but didn't have any luck. We saw TONS of moose and deer tracks (seriously, it looked like a deer party/highway at one point and I got yelled at for spending too much time staring at the ground and not enough in the cuts ;) but only ever saw 4 does. Then recently, I dragged my fiance with me on another adventure. (He's not as enthusiastic as I am about hunting but he's trying..) I looked on Google Earth and tried I few places I thought would be good. First I tried Caroline Mines, and one of the roads was gated and the other had lake sized puddles I was too scared too attempt to go through. Next we tried Mt. Hope FSR off the #3. Again, 2 roads. One with a gate and the other with lake sized puddles. I guess the amount of snow and rain has made a bit of a mess. I personally would have tried the puddles but my fiance was less than enthused about the idea. So next we decided to go through Harrison/Agassi and try the Ruby Creek FSR. No luck and drove until we got into a sticky situation of the truck sliding backwards then horizontal against the cliff and mountain.. A lot of tapping the breaks and turns and I managed to get turned around and back down. (He again wasn't too thrilled with me. To be honest, I was kinda mad at myself for getting us into that situation too) That scared the crap out of me. Anyway, after that I drove to Chehalis and explored all through there. Again, no luck and too many people. It's been frustrating and with an unenthusiastic partner at times, is even more frustrating... But I'm determined none the less.

So I want to try again for a mule deer this weekend. And maybe some grouse and rabbit as well. I was thinking the Emory Creek FSR? Does anyone have any experience in this area? Or can you suggest any where else to go for a newbie? I know that's in the 4pt only area but I've given up on reg 2. I have a capable 4x4 but am pretty inexperienced at driving in a lot of snow (I can handle a bit) and I don't have chains.

I'm literally chomping at the bit to get out there and get my first deer. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Xenomorph
11-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Don't go alone if you're not used to drive in snow. Got snow tires at least? A+ for the enthusiasm and keep bugging bfriend. He'll come around. Get up there early, walk lots. Your PM doesn't work, guess you just joined. Will send you some info soon

whognu
11-19-2015, 05:49 PM
hi dash:

I will be no help to you on the 'where'

what I will offer is simple suggestion that will ensure you have many many years of hunting in the future

as you well know (and we have all found out thru personal experience) fsr's in BC at this time of year range between
'ok' to death defying

a gentle grade on the way up can easily (and usually) turn into a nightmare on the way down

the combo of snow, melt, freeze, rain, snow etc etc etc is a toxic mix and can easily put you in a ditch (or down a cliff)

and given you are exploring new areas/roads you really have no idea of what twists, turns, ups, downs lay ahead

so, as I've told my daughters, please buy chains

and put them on

and real chains, not plastic/cable ones; real ones that are made of metal and make the ice squeal......

the ice is real and the danger is huge

looking fwd to you regaling us with stories of your successful hunt

whognu

Wentrot
11-19-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm not much help but don't get discouraged about region 2 so easily - get off the roads with the boots and it won't be busy. Also, it sounds like your fiance just sits in the passenger seat complaining, go solo and enjoy yourself. Lol

epicZERO74
11-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the site Dash!

tuner
11-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Try tunkwa lake area, it does present opportunities at both a whitetail or mule deer. It will be very busy I'm thinking,but the FSR's in and around the area are relatively easy, even for an inexperienced off roader. If you stick to the more thickly forested areas around the lakes you have a good chance at whitetail buck this time of the year.( it's any buck for whitetail) Mule deer are abundant throughout the region, 4 pts.bucks as you've already discovered, are not a dime a dozen, they are however around, and being as our fall has been so mild thus far,chances are they are just beginning to rut in that area, which also increases your chances. If your not inclined in driving that far( it will be a 3.5 to 4 hr. drive with current road conditions)you can try Murray lake area, Kane valley area, or comstock area( all three of these areas are close to brookmere) again, due to their proximity to the city,they will be busy. Kane valley and comstock Rd. are both relatively easy off roadies routes, Murray lk. Rd. can be a bit hairy if you access it directly off the coq. It easier if accessed via gillis lk. Rd off of coldwater Rd. Which can also be used to access Kane valley Rd. These areas are by no means a gimme but with some work and a lot of luck it's possible. Whitetails are not overly abundant but there are pockets of them around, I know a few people who have lucked out them there. Don't let high expectations get in the way of having fun, enjoying the experience, and the process. It may sound like an overused cliche, but hunting is much more than killing your quarry. Best of luck, and welcome to the hunting fraternity.

Dash
11-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks so much for the advice so far! You guys are great! I think I'll take your advice and pick up a pair of chains or ask nicely for some for Christmas haha. Does anyone know if they mess up the sensors at all? I have a 2014 F150 FX4 with 20" wheels. I just have M+S not true snowies. I think I'll also go get a whitetail tag. I'd be pretty disappointed if I came across a good wt buck while hunting a mulie. My fiance is great don't get me wrong.. and he does want to get into hunting (he did his core too) he's just not as adventurous as I am and not willing to take as many fun risks. But he does complain a lot... lol Me peronally I just love exploring and being outside. I think he'll smarten up once he gets to experience it more. I won't go by myself since I'm not very experienced in some conditions and I'm glad he's usually willing to tag along.

hoochie
11-19-2015, 07:14 PM
bring home a big deer and he will be there every time!!

Aaron600
11-19-2015, 07:27 PM
I have practically the same truck and if you throw 1 set of chains on the back don't use your 4x4 or it can damage the truck if you get some wheel spin in the front. Throw all 4 chains on and your sensors will be fine.

brian
11-20-2015, 09:02 AM
It sounds like you are suffering from a common new hunter problem, not knowing areas and going in blind and trying to hunt them. This is a very tough go at it. Only horseshoes firmly planted in the rectum are going to see you getting any animals doing this. I say look for promising areas ,hopefully ones you can get to more than a couple of times a year. Go hunt them now just to learn the lay of the land. Don't expect to have opportunities on any animals but of course seize them if they do come! Then head out there for more extensive scouting in summer when the weather good and the complaining diminished. Really learn the area and look for the hidden pockets.

wideopenthrottle
11-20-2015, 09:35 AM
yes take time to learn areas and keep in mind that learning an area can often lessen your chances of success at first. Especially if you are covering lots of ground rather than being super stealthy in a small well known area.

AlexPdHJ
11-20-2015, 09:43 AM
I'm a new hunter as well. This is just my second year. My advice is look for and record where you find game trails so you can develop an idea of how the animals are moving. If you find tracks or other sign that's good, but if you find a place where there is lots of tracks and sign crossing a road or going between groups of trees that's gold. Chances are that some animal will cross there again where you found the game trail. Find a place with good concealment like 50-100m away with the wind in your face and then sit there silently as the sun comes up and as the sun goes down, and as much of the rest of the day you can manage. Game trail + patience = good chance of success.

hunter1947
11-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Welcome to this site .

I don't know the areas you want to hunt but I do know all to good about what the weather is all about my suggestions are is get a set of snow chains for all four tires and a winch if you can if you can't afford the winch or four chains try to get at least one set of chains for your truck and put them on when your at home to get the idea on how they go onto your tires so you know how the chains fit.

If you can't get a winch for your unit then get a set of come alongs and some 3/8 cable that is a least 40 feet long as for 50 feet of 3/4 inch samson braid rope this having the rope cable come alongs one set of chains will go along ways if you get into a bind good luck with your hunt and be safe out there..

Rob Chipman
11-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Get out in the bush year round, listen for new (to you) areas, hit google earth and explore and scout. This allows you to concentrate on known areas when hunting season comes.

VLD43
11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Dash
PMed you

11-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Yep, i cant help with the where either but...

It sounds like you found an area that holds Game.... stick at it. and learn to hunt it. You will find that you will learn specifically where the animals are and when... you will learn wind direction,, what the prominant wind direction is for that area... this leads into actual access to that area, maybe there is a better way to hunt it.

Wind in your face, Sun at your back..... never skyline your self.. walk slow, and when you think you are walking slow enough,, slow down.... you are trying to kill something that is making a living outa not getting killed.
i find most Rookies underestimate game,, and how slow you need to be.

dont freak out if you are learning how to gut an animal,,,,, just do it! All you need to do is wash it all down.... That is not saying it is ok to cut the gut bag,,,, but it wont destroy everything if you make a mistake and clean it up right away....
A lot of Rookies just freak otu at the idea of having to gut the animal without some one experianced beside them,,, and that makes it hard for them to get out,,, just go! throw a couple 4l milk jugs of water in a box in your vehicle....

it is a long road of learning... but you will never learn if you dont do it......... head up, wind in yer face ... be safe,, take time when your going to kill.... and post a bloody pic so we dont need to hear "pics or it didnt happen" ok

11-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Yep, i cant help with the where either but...

It sounds like you found an area that holds Game.... stick at it. and learn to hunt it. You will find that you will learn specifically where the animals are and when... you will learn wind direction,, what the prominant wind direction is for that area... this leads into actual access to that area, maybe there is a better way to hunt it.

Wind in your face, Sun at your back..... never skyline your self.. walk slow, and when you think you are walking slow enough,, slow down.... you are trying to kill something that is making a living outa not getting killed.

dont freak out if you are learning how to gut an animal,,,,, just do it! All you need to do is wash it all down.... That is not saying it is ok to cut the gut bag,,,, but it wont destroy everything if you make a mistake and clean it up right away....
A lot of Rookies just freak otu at the idea of having to gut the animal without some one experianced beside them,,, and that makes it hard for them to get out,,, just go! throw a couple 4l milk jugs of water in a box in your vehicle....

it is a long road of learning... but you will never learn if you dont do it......... head up, wind at yer backface... be safe,, take time when your going to kill.... and post a bloody pic so we dont need to hear "pics or it didnt happen" ok

Good advice, but I would learn the "gutless" Method if I were you. That way you eliminate any chance of getting gut material in your meat.

brian
11-20-2015, 01:57 PM
yes take time to learn areas and keep in mind that learning an area can often lessen your chances of success at first. Especially if you are covering lots of ground rather than being super stealthy in a small well known area.

Which is an excellent point, its hard to know where to slow down and where to move fast when you are both new and don't know an area. When you get some experience there will be a little voice in your head that will tell you to slow down in certain areas even if you haven't been there before. I try to listen to that voice.

brian
11-20-2015, 02:03 PM

This is so true, knowing how to hunt an area is just as important as knowing where to hunt. I underestimated deers ability to stay alive when I was new. It was a real wake up call. Their sole job is to stay alive, 24/7.

wideopenthrottle
11-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Which is an excellent point, its hard to know where to slow down and where to move fast when you are both new and don't know an area. When you get some experience there will be a little voice in your head that will tell you to slow down in certain areas even if you haven't been there before. I try to listen to that voice.

my favourite trick is to always be counting paces (every second step)...I make a point of stopping after x paces....the x is determined buy a combo of experience and gut feeling...I never go more than 20 paces (even on a road)without stopping and doing a full look around...it becomes automatic after awhile

Dash
11-20-2015, 03:39 PM
You guys are all seriously fantastic. I'm so overwhelmed and greatful for the helpful responses both here and PM. I'm literally taking notes and picking some of this stuff up tonight before I head out tomorrow. My fiance and his friend have decided to tag along so I won't be by myself. I'm borrowing my brothers come alongs and other gear too. I'll post more updates soon and answer pm's too! Thanks again!!!

Xenomorph
11-23-2015, 10:26 AM
You guys are all seriously fantastic. I'm so overwhelmed and greatful for the helpful responses both here and PM. I'm literally taking notes and picking some of this stuff up tonight before I head out tomorrow. My fiance and his friend have decided to tag along so I won't be by myself. I'm borrowing my brothers come alongs and other gear too. I'll post more updates soon and answer pm's too! Thanks again!!!

And IF you step out to glass around, even if it's just for practice, then make sure your rifle is there, ready to shoulder and pop. I just missed on a cranker this Saturday, cousin was exhausted from the 10h hike up and down the mountain, I stopped to glass a new area and shut the door hard, AND there he was, with four does looking at me and BOLTING. By the time I ran to the car, grabbed the rifle, load and shoulder all I saw was a doe's ass hitting the treeline.

Dash
11-23-2015, 01:09 PM
I think if that happened to me..I would literally be crying lol. We tried again this weekend with no success :( I think I found a good area though that I want to revisit but I'm basing that on the landscape and not so much sign..My guest had time restraints so I didn't get to spend nearly as much time as I would have liked. I seriously tried so many areas before that.. So many gates. I can't remember a lot of the names now without looking at a map but I know one was Nickelmine road and it was gated permanently Nov. 21st. Are there normally this many gates on the FSR's? Is it the time of year? When I adventure and camp in the spring/summer/early fall I don't seem to encounter a fraction. I wish I had more confidence to explore up on the Coq. but I'm far too new and intimated by that kind of snow. I know I'm too new, overly eager and late in the season but I'm still disappointed at my lack of success lol. At least I will have explored and mapped a lot of areas for next year. With the cold snap and snow they're predicting I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it out another time but I'd like to.

Thanks again for the additional advice Xenomorph. =)

wideopenthrottle
11-23-2015, 01:15 PM
when it comes to hunting...when you least expect it...expect it...heheheh...hurrying that last 1/2 km back to the truck/camp...the first few hundred yards of moving into the bush...when first getting up after a long sit...those are all times I have jumped game up and swore at myself for letting my guard down

Looking_4_Jerky
11-23-2015, 01:58 PM
I really have no idea how "hardy" you are, in that some folks are uncomfortable in temps slightly below freezing, while others go out in -25C like it's a spring day, but it's not supposed to be terribly cold this weekend in the southern interior. I'd be surprised if you ended up hunting in much colder than -10C, which is actually great deer hunting weather, if you're prepared with the right gear, both in clothes and hardware.

The snow on the Coq, well, that can certainly be sketchy. If you are comfortable with the highway part of the drive, my suggestion is to get into some low-elevation country. Concentrate on the treed fringes just above the grasslands. For the most part, the deer will be low this time of year, and that will become more true with every snowfall. Driving to the low elevation Crown Land will usually not be the epic grind that is getting to significant elevation. Once you find an area with some tracks, park the rig. I'm not at all against road hunting, but if you're worried about the winter driving, just do way less of it and way more on foot.

Good luck if you decide to try once or a few last times before season's end.
Jerky.

Dash
11-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Depending on snow, I'm usually camping and tenting it until about -10. After that I sleep in my truck. I only have gear for about -15 though. Any colder and I could probably end up in trouble. I'm waiting until the new Bass Pro shop opens in Tsawwassen this Spring and then I'm going to invest in some good gear. I'm ok for the most part with Coq. highway drive. Weather and conditions permitting of course. I think I'll look around some more on Google Earth and do some more reading and take you up on your advice.

I started to really wonder if being this eager is normal haha. Especially since I didn't really feel the urge to get into hunting that much until fairly recently. But after reading and participating in a few conversations with different members, I guess it's normal lol. I'm just so excited...

Thanks again. I'll definitely be updating and hopefully showing success pics if I go again!

Bugle M In
11-23-2015, 03:30 PM
you could also try around Merrit, such as Glimpse lake and above Peter hope country.
But, have chains, shovel, axe, chainsaw with you, plus, extra gear and food just in case...u never know.
Also, in those areas, try to use a GPS, as there are lots of clearcuts and side roads, that can get you really
turned around in a hurry, especially when hunting on Plateau type areas, as there aren't many land features
to distinguish from each other if you don't know the area well.
Used to be lots of Rabbit up there as well, just before dark, but check the Regs....it's been awhile since I was there.
Tunkwa is nice too.
All the best on your endeavors....I hope it gives you a lifetime of fun and appreciation.

Dash
09-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Just thought I'd read through some of the suggestions again on this thread. Thanks again everyone who offered advice!

I've only been able to get out a couple times so far this season and although I've had an absolute fantastic time, I haven't had any luck yet. I'm hoping to update this thread with some success before season end :)

On another note, I've done a lot of reading, watched a lot of videos, etc. but I still have some questions/curiosities. Is there anyone who would be willing to answer some of them via pm? And will try not to laugh if some of them seem stupid? lol. Thanks in advance =)

09-27-2016, 06:46 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread last year but cudos to you for getting out and trying. Great to see new comers to our sport, specially females. Welcome to HBC and best of luck to you. I sent u a PM.

CT

walks with deer
09-27-2016, 08:36 PM
You can pm me questions..also for a first deer Oct 1 Muley any buck is about to happen..

Rob
09-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Shoot me a pm if you want. I live in the area you are talking about and can help out.

Dash
09-28-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys! I'll send some pm's.