PDA

View Full Version : Butcher - Ron Brown - Mission Meat Shop

stonewalker
11-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Looking for a butcher? I do NOT recommend that you use Ron Brown - Mission Meat Shop. Here's my story . . . I took two deer to him for butchering. I asked for a few specific cuts (i.e. no roasts, small steaks two to a package, the rest 1/2 burger and 1/2 stew meat). All I got was round steaks, 60% burger and 5% stew meat. I called Ron Brown to ask him where were the back straps, the tenderloin and the sirloin were? First he told me that they were in the bags he gave me. When questioned further he then told me that they were shot off, and I knew the shots were no where near there. Then, he told me that he GROUND THEM INTO THE BURGER! WTF!?! What butcher turns back straps, tenderloin and sirloin into burger? Then I asked him if he was willing to take care of the problem in some way. He said no. Then I asked for my money back and he told me I could go and get a lawyer and take him to court. I would strongly suggest that you take your meat elsewhere and you tell your friends to do the same. If you want any further details, please feel free to PM me. :mad::mad::mad:

todbartell
11-18-2015, 09:18 PM
brutal! I butcher my own game after a similar experience years ago from a different butcher

Looking_4_Jerky
11-18-2015, 09:40 PM
It seems as though the influx of new hunters and the scarcity of cutters has created an environment where a butcher thinks he can do whatever the f he wants, and the client still has to kiss his backside. Have heard many such horror stories in recent years.

I know it is easier said than done for most folks currently using a butcher, but learn to cut it yourself. Then you can go as custom as you want!

Coachman
11-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Same story I had last year with Ennis. What a joke. Hard to tell if they're dishonest or just plain stupid.

Bugle M In
11-18-2015, 09:51 PM
Is this the Ron, way out in the Tulies??
if so, he has always been very helpful, even late at night.
His pepperoni is awesome.
The only thing my buddy hated was the "Chops", but I don't think I blame Ron for that.
Sorry to hear your bad experience however.
And it does make me consider just you tubing videos on doing it yourself.
Biggest problem is finding the time, especially when you have to leave town for work for a few days,
but the deer needs to be butchered ASAP, at least here in the LM, due to it isn't cold enough to hang for
several days without a cooler.
You can just ask to leave the deer to cool there, and than pick up and butcher yourself.
Only problem is, these butchers get busy right now, and want to cut and package a deer right away,
as they never have enough cooler space...right now.
Also, I always try to Carve out the Tenderloins before handing it over to any butcher.
Get home, cut them in the size you want, leave it in a fridge for a few days (like a cooler), and than into the
freezer they go.
Hope this was just a bad screw up, and is not consistent report of his work now, as I don't know where else
to go.
One thing I will say to everyone...
Take good care of your game....keep it real clean.
Otherwise a butcher won't touch it, or, they throw half of it out trying to process it.
Not saying that this was your case....
Thanks for posting.

chainsaw
11-18-2015, 09:54 PM
I just went threw the same thing with page creek coolers out of Abby. The guys a joke didn't get a thing I asked for and no tenderloin eather said I never asked for them so he ground them wtf.

j270wsm
11-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Make a big sign that says he screwed you, then go back into his shop and demand that he makes it right. If he says no, go out side and use the sign to advertise that he screwed you over. Probably wont take long to have the issue fixed.

Whats the worst that could happen.

plumberjustin
11-18-2015, 09:57 PM
I used mission meat shop last season, and was nothing more than satisfied. That being said, I did cut and grind all my own meat, and just had the sausage done there. A quick download of a meat chart online will have you cutting your own steaks and roasts in no time. It's actually a lot easier than one may think, and I find it more rewarding processing everything myself after the harvest. Sorry for the bad experience, seems to be an increasing trend these days.

ItsGrouseTalk
11-18-2015, 10:38 PM
I took a spring bear to Ron 2 years ago. After spending all day trying to find a butcher that actually had their coolers running, Ron was a last resort. We got pepperoni, chops, and smoked ham done. Ron did an excellent job on the meat. The pepperoni was to die for, and the smoked ham and chops were not far behind. Ron was also super nice; had no problems.

Bugle M In
11-18-2015, 10:57 PM
ya, he has always been courteous, and his pepperoni is awesome.
I just hope for all our sake, this was just a big screw up (sadly for the OP),
and not another good butcher gone south.
If in Invermere, we always use Konig, who make great german sausages....pepperoni..ahhh, not so much.
But, again, he does a great job, just in case your up that way.

ElectricDyck
11-18-2015, 11:03 PM
When you judge butchers you have to consider their experience is cattle based and they butcher appropriately. I butcher at home and de bone and trim all fat off my game..this would cost a fortune at the butcher as its very tie consuming, especially if your anal like me and trim all the sliver skin and sinew off of roasts and steaks..

The first time out of two that I took my game to a local butcher I received "chops" back, they consisted of a cut backbone, a partial rib, with meat in between bones consisting of backstrap, tenderloin, and some rib meat..probably would be awesome in a beef cut but in a deer steak it is quite the opposite..

I think the butchers can all do what we desire when it comes to game cutting but we need to be educated and request what we want and be ready to pay accordingly or do ourselves..

My BIL's and my self spent 72 man hours butchering 2 moose into steaks, roast, ground and a fair bit of sausage making...its a fiar bit of time but every package we un rap is ready to cook and eat..if you do the math per about 45 dollars per hour thats $3240 plus the fat, spices casings, the wrappings and overhead it probably costs about $3800 for a butcher to do that kind of job...not many people are willing to pay a butcher that kind of dough...you get what you pay for.

hoochie
11-18-2015, 11:15 PM
we took 3 deer to a butcher this year, and picked them up on the day we were leaving town. as we were driving home ( 5or 6hrs from the butcher shop) I got to thinking about how much meat we had in return. I started asking myself "how much does bone weigh?".. "how much did we get from the previous years' from a deer".. "does it add up?"

I still don't have an answer to that question " how much of the hanging weight is going to be lost?"
we asked specifically to have on entire deer all ground, except the roasts. not sure it was all there.

Gateholio
11-18-2015, 11:52 PM
I wrote this on CGN recently. I think it's appropriate here,too...

I think it's a good idea to share information about butchers. ANd make sure the butchers know they are getting reviewed. I do all of our own personal meat but every year we get a bunch of lambs done to sell, and we take them in to a butcher. We went through a few of them before deciding on one we really like, and is very professional.

That being said- and this is totally off topic from BartleDan, but a general observation about butcher/hunter relations- I think many hunters set themselves up for disappointment.

They take whole animals in with the skin on and wonder why it costs so much and they don 't actually get that much meat.They take in quarters that have a crust on them and wonder why they get billed for that too. They take in quarters with heavy bones in them and get mad that they get billed for that, too. They don't look at the price of things then get shocked by a big bill. They drop off a carcass and have no idea how much it weighs then complain that the butcher stole their meat because they dropped off what they think was a 400 lb mule deer but only got 100lb of meat. They want sausage but don't really want to pay for it. They think butchers should work for almost free.

If you want to maximize your butcher experience, take him boned out meat or as close to it as possible (unless you want something with bone in). Take in clean meat with no hide on it. Remove any bloodshot or damaged meat. Get it weighed when you drop it off, and confirm the terms= What percentage will you get back? What is the cost per pound and how is it calculated? How much is sausage? Any extra fees? Make sure how you want it cut is recorded and get a copy or at least take a pic with your phone.

If you don't like his terms take it somewhere else or do it yourself.

I've been at a number of butchers when game was dropped off and it has varied from perfectly cared for meat to horror show carcasses. I've heard some guys talk about how it is a "point of pride to drop off their moose whole to the butcher" I just shake my head at how idiotic that is. For one, your meat doesn't cool as quickly as possible. Secondly, by not doing any of the work yourself, you have set yourself up for a huge bill. Every step you take before dropping it off, reduces your cost.

Hunters that want good meat and good dealings with butchers need to take responsibility for themselves, starting with good shot placement then good meat care.

Bugle M In
11-19-2015, 12:05 AM
I wrote this on CGN recently. I think it's appropriate here,too...

I think it's a good idea to share information about butchers. ANd make sure the butchers know they are getting reviewed. I do all of our own personal meat but every year we get a bunch of lambs done to sell, and we take them in to a butcher. We went through a few of them before deciding on one we really like, and is very professional.

That being said- and this is totally off topic from BartleDan, but a general observation about butcher/hunter relations- I think many hunters set themselves up for disappointment.

They take whole animals in with the skin on and wonder why it costs so much and they don 't actually get that much meat.They take in quarters that have a crust on them and wonder why they get billed for that too. They take in quarters with heavy bones in them and get mad that they get billed for that, too. They don't look at the price of things then get shocked by a big bill. They drop off a carcass and have no idea how much it weighs then complain that the butcher stole their meat because they dropped off what they think was a 400 lb mule deer but only got 100lb of meat. They want sausage but don't really want to pay for it. They think butchers should work for almost free.

If you want to maximize your butcher experience, take him boned out meat or as close to it as possible (unless you want something with bone in). Take in clean meat with no hide on it. Remove any bloodshot or damaged meat. Get it weighed when you drop it off, and confirm the terms= What percentage will you get back? What is the cost per pound and how is it calculated? How much is sausage? Any extra fees? Make sure how you want it cut is recorded and get a copy or at least take a pic with your phone.

If you don't like his terms take it somewhere else or do it yourself.

I've been at a number of butchers when game was dropped off and it has varied from perfectly cared for meat to horror show carcasses. I've heard some guys talk about how it is a "point of pride to drop off their moose whole to the butcher" I just shake my head at how idiotic that is. For one, your meat doesn't cool as quickly as possible. Secondly, by not doing any of the work yourself, you have set yourself up for a huge bill. Every step you take before dropping it off, reduces your cost.

Hunters that want good meat and good dealings with butchers need to take responsibility for themselves, starting with good shot placement then good meat care.

What he said.....

J_T
11-19-2015, 07:10 AM
I agree with Gatehouse as well. As hunters, we are in part, responsible for the experience.

Steelco must be asleep. IBTL.

mcmullmar
11-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Butchering yourself is not that hard. Just intimidating the first time.

Machinist
11-19-2015, 08:05 AM
I took our Moose to Ron , in September and he did an excellent job, not only that his cut and wrap price of 65 cents is pretty good for the Lowermainland , He was very helpful and courtious , came in early on the mornong I wanted to pick it up so it was convenient for me , I will deal with him again next year for sure.

Steeleco
11-19-2015, 08:13 AM
I agree with Gatehouse as well. As hunters, we are in part, responsible for the experience.

Steelco must be asleep. IBTL.

No at work smart guy. I agree with Gatehouse. Too many guys want or get the list right before their hunt, when I did use a cutter, I almost interviewed them LONG before I went hunting. Some I never went back too after the first meet.

We put all kinds of planning into the hunt, but often NONE into what shall we do if we get something?

Wentrot
11-19-2015, 08:16 AM
I have never used a butcher and after reading some of the stories don't think I ever will
Besides,buchering yourself just adds to the full experience.

Big Lew
11-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Gatehouse said it in a nut shell!
I've personally seen the various situations he's describing and heard the negative comments
about butchers ripping them off. I've taken a couple of deer and 2 moose into butchers that
I was either referred to, or after discussing what I wanted done, was confident in their professionalism.
I brought in the animals (except my 1st moose which wasn't skinned) thoroughly cleaned,
including around the bullet wound, and was completely satisfied with the amount of meat
packaged and the job they did. As for the first moose, I brought it in after phoning the butcher
(he had a professional shop at his home) and explained my predicament to which he replied,
get it in here right now. It was well after his normal hours yet he was ready, and with the help
of some others we all quickly skinned it out, finished cleaning it, quartered it, and had it in his
cooler by 10:00pm. He didn't even charge me for that extra service, although I gave him a big
tip. I've butchered all my other animals myself. If you have the room, charts if you're unsure,
a few sharp appropriate tools, and a large grinder, it's quite easy to do.

Web by
11-19-2015, 09:16 AM
I took my first deer in to a butcher and was a little skeptical of what I got back. I've done every animal since. It's alot of work and I've had some late nights butchering them, but i'm 100% satisfied that I used every part of the deer. All the bones go into the smoker for my pup.
Many people don't realize the damage and meat loss from a poorly placed shot.

wideopenthrottle
11-19-2015, 09:41 AM
first few years I hunted here I would use a butcher but he was my brothers father in law and did an awesome job...his double smoked pepperoni was to die for...sadly, he moved away so I used Ennis a couple of times with varying level of satisfaction (they did a great job on a half cow moose I brought them but I was not so happy with the pepperoni I got back from a doe a brought in as it was obviously buck meat and it was spiced mild when I requested hot -they obviously don't separate individual animals very well in their smoker)..my current hunting partners are all set up with a nice big band saw for steaks and a grinder for burger so we do it all our selves..the only thing that would make me happier with the results would be to learn to do some sausage but if that is the only red meat I buy all winter I can live with that..

tyler hunter
11-19-2015, 09:49 AM
I take all my game to Ron Brown. Only have great things to say about him. Hes an excellent guy, super accommodating, and does a fantastic job. Not mention makes beautiful sausage.

Fella
11-19-2015, 10:00 AM
I've done 5 animals on my own, only ever taking the meat to a local guy who only does sausage and burger, when we've wanted cuts like steaks and roasts we've just done it ourselves. It's not difficult, everything is already sectioned off by muscle group you just gotta get your hands in there to cut it out. Our 2 moose this year cost us $40 to butcher. $25 for 40 lbs of burger, and the rest for butcher paper, tape and a sharpie.

11-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Giddy up ........ Do it your self. I've been doing it for fourty plus years now. The only time we don't is when there has been larger parties and several animals to butcher, we've done all deer, elk , moose, sheep , goat, bear and even bison.

Just do it !

604Stalker
11-19-2015, 10:56 AM
I recently took my first year deer to Ron he took it at 5:45 on a Sunday after a certain cutter whos company starts with S was rude enough to loose my business. Wasn't the biggest deer and a through and through the lungs there was some loss but his standard cut landed me and a buddy about 25-30 pounds each. But when we split it up .. No tenderloin so I made it out to reception and gave him a call he politely explained that when you have a smaller animal sometimes he will just do them as chops. Take it for what it is the guy has ALOT of business on his hands.

Wagonmaster
11-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Can't understand why anyone would take an animal to a butcher with the tenderloins and backstraps still in place. It literally takes only minutes to remove them. Plenty of DVD's or YouTube stuff to show how it is done. Processing a deer is not that big a job. Buy a piece of cutting board material around 4 feet by 5 feet from a plastic shop, put it on a couple of sawhorses and have at 'er. Moose are a bit tougher, but if you use the gutless method in the field, tenderloins and backstops will be in a game bag before you get back to camp, as well as four hideless quarters.

coach
11-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Can't understand why anyone would take an animal to a butcher with the tenderloins and backstraps still in place. It literally takes only minutes to remove them. Plenty of DVD's or YouTube stuff to show how it is done. Processing a deer is not that big a job. Buy a piece of cutting board material around 4 feet by 5 feet from a plastic shop, put it on a couple of sawhorses and have at 'er. Moose are a bit tougher, but if you use the gutless method in the field, tenderloins and backstops will be in a game bag before you get back to camp, as well as four hideless quarters.

Yup - tenderloins and backstraps are easily removed while the animal is hanging..

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/image_zpstcupg3py.jpeg

In this case, the Big Z could have started a little higher - but at 13 years old, he's well on his way to saving a ton of money and heartache by learning to process animals on his own.

Xenomorph
11-19-2015, 11:46 AM
In this case, the Big Z could have started a little higher - but at 13 years old, he's well on his way to saving a ton of money and heartache by learning to process animals on his own.

And honor and thank the animal for the truly awesome gift of delicious, healthy meat.

LUCKY
11-19-2015, 01:31 PM
I have no interest in butchering my own game. No space/ no time.
I do may part and take great care in how I handle the animal from when it is shot to when I drop it off at butcher.
Field dressed and hung right away. Hide off as soon as possible. Kept cold and taken to butcher cooler asap.
Trim anything that I can and remove all hair.

With a new butcher I will ask what he recommends for cuts. If it is left to me just burger, roasts and tenderloin for deer. Sausages or other from time to time.
I did have a butcher once who said "no steaks?" I told him no thanks I find them gamey. He said if you would like to try, I will cut "best steaks".
I only got a few but they were damn good. Just the best cuts.

Remember you will be charge to Butcher the animal and then on top charged to process as well as any other meat cut in, if you are getting sausages ect...
Processed meats are not cheap so don't expect to get a huge savings from store bought. Just a hell of a lot better for you.

If you don't like a Butcher. Don't go back.
You will find one you like and trust.

My 2 cents.

Bugle M In
11-19-2015, 04:03 PM
And honor and thank the animal for the truly awesome gift of delicious, healthy meat.

So true,
I see so many people treat the meat they harvest once the animal is down with very little respect.
Your biggest assistance for a butcher is keep the meat real clean, which means you go slow and steady when
gutting and skinning, and keep the edible meat away from dirt and hair etc.
Use the hide as a "tarp" or better yet, bring a tarp to lay down when deboning.
I had a lifetime friend who was a successful butcher, who passed away, but I still remember him saying that
his biggest peeve, was "Dirty and Poorly Managed Meat" showing up at his door....he just refused it.
Can't say I blame him.
Again, I am not saying that the OP was guilty of any of this....just giving advice to all.

steveo
11-19-2015, 04:52 PM
I will admit that every time I have taken a deer to the butchers cooler to hang I have seen at least one deer that was badly blood shot from multiple shots or a poorly placed shot. Hard to get much meat recovery from that situation but still no excuse for a butcher to be rude or not to follow cutting wishes from a customer.

Jagermeister
11-19-2015, 04:59 PM
One man's trash is another man's treasure. And so it goes with butchers. One is not happy with his outcome and another is greatly satisfied with his outcome.
So, in this case, I think that the exalting and tarring and feathering of this thread should come to an end.
If the merits of home cutting of game is to be discussed, then do it in another thread and someone lock this one down.

TyTy
11-19-2015, 07:35 PM
The ONLY reason I sometimes use a butcher, is because i am too tired to cut, or want to save my time/energy to keep hunting and fill those tags. Butchers are better out fitted to hang/age the animal than i am (presently), but they are not free.

I wasnt satisfied with one butcher one year, so i tried a different one this year, and i am pleased with what he returned to me. FYI, I ask for all steaks. If it wont make a steak, i ask for ground. I will be making my own pepperoni this year, should be fun. Maybe next year ill have a ban saw, better grinder and maybe rig up a cooling unit. Cut and wrap party = good family fun

markomoose
11-19-2015, 08:40 PM
I usually let the butcher handle my moose simply because it's a large animal and even if you made a mess you generally get a good return.Deer and bear I used to drop at the butcher but I've changed my tune recently and do enjoy listening to some good tunes in the shop and getting a superb cut of meat. Cheers Mark

mastercaster
11-20-2015, 09:47 AM
I definitely gave new meaning to the word "butcher' the first time I cut up my own deer several years ago but more than a half a dozen deer later my cutting and butchering skills improved quite bit. I probably still take more time than most but i know as soon as the meat thaws it can go straight on to the barby. Since I've switched to a gutless method of processing a deer out in the bush a fair bit of the work has already been completed so that definitely saves me some time,,,,plus there's no netter way to cool your meat quickly.

One thing I can't understand is why hunters wouldn't remove the tenderloins right off the bat out in the field dressing the deer and put them in a bag. They're not all that big to start with so you don't want any of that choice meat to be wasted by having it exposed to the air the whole time your deer is hanging in camp or at the butcher's shop. When it finally is butchered the the dried up meat has to be cut off and that can be quite a bit of it. Definitely not as big a deal with moose or elk because they are considerably larger but with a deer it is.

Another thing I have to question wihen using a shop butcher is the hamburger you're getting back. I could be totally off base here but I find it hard to believe that when a deer is processed the butcher takes the time to grind the burger from each deer in the shop one at a time. Somehow I feel all the trim that is going into burger from one deer is quickly weighed, placed into one BIG container with a whole bunch of other folk's deer, and then he grinds and packages it all at once as part of his day's work. I think that's what I would do but I'm not a butcher! LOL

If this is indeed the case, you really don't know what you're getting back in return. The meat that you've painstakenly looked after could easily be mixed in with some guy's who didn't take the same care you did to clean and cool the animal as soon as possible. Probably works that way for pepperoni or other sausage, too. That's why we always grind our own burger. I cut off all the silver skin and other connective tissue,,,,it's PRIMO meat to be sure. We also make our own sausage even though it's not all that much. I probaby would take meat (trim) in at a later date from several deer to a butcher to have sausage made if I was really into eating lots of sausage. I would just make sure to do it in the off season if I did because I doubt there'd be any mixing of meat done then.

huntcoop
11-20-2015, 09:58 AM
.....spend at least the same, if not more, "preparing" on what you will do with your kill after the shot as you do before you leave for your hunt. So much time and money is spent on guns, calibers, camo, LEHs, quads, Google Earth....and yet often, sadly, so little time (from what I've seen), is spent on what will happen to the wonderful (now dead) animal's greatest reward. The meat.

This is the best post yet and all should re-read, especially newbies.

MB_Boy
11-20-2015, 10:08 AM
This is the best post yet and all should re-read, especially newbies.

Was just thinking the same thing Coop.

wideopenthrottle
11-20-2015, 10:09 AM
it is true that many forget to plan for success....game bags, meat poles with tarps over top (big spikes or rope to tie up the pole), something to clean spots of blood and hair (paper towel and rags), a liver/heart bag with you in the field (I use those liquor store ones), rope to help drag an animal out, meat saw to cut it in half, freezer/cooler (for hotter weather), the sooner it is bled out and cooled the better the meat will be..

on the tenderloins, there is always a wad of fat there that you can leave to protect them until you are home....they always go with the T-bones when we cut steaks

happyhunter
11-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Wish I found this thread earlier. Lots of good advise here. I don’t know if this the same mission meats as the one in Kelowna but I had a similar (bad) experience with them. Shot a small buck out there when visiting family. Everything was a rush that day but we had the deer to the butchers in 3 hrs since time it was shot. Did a VERY clean job on a headshot deer. Should be no waste. I had to leave it at the butchers and get my FIL to pick it up and bring me the meat next time he was in town (1 week later). I wasn’t there at the pick up but what my FIL brought me was less than a shopping bag of steaks and 30 lbs trimming. I assumed the tiny bag must be boned out steaks, but after opening 4 packs now I see the whole deer just went through the saw. So yeah I’m not impressed. I’m thinking much of the sloppy butchering is in the trim bags too so I’m not saying they kept anything, just a sloppy fast job overall. I’ll bring coolers next time I shoot anything out of town.

swampthing
11-17-2019, 04:47 PM
I just had a bad experience with a butcher up in Prince George. I do take some of the blame though as I guess I wasnt clear enough. I ended up with an entire moose ground into burger!!

twoSevenO
11-17-2019, 05:27 PM
I just had a bad experience with a butcher up in Prince George. I do take some of the blame though as I guess I wasnt clear enough. I ended up with an entire moose ground into burger!!

Congrats on your moose.

Look on the bright side, at least theres dozens and dozens of good recipes for ground meat beside burger!

Tacos, burgers, meat loafs, cabbage rolls, meat balls ... some of my fav foods are with ground meat :)))

Wild one
11-17-2019, 05:38 PM

I would be pissed

waserwolf
11-17-2019, 05:44 PM
I was blessed to have my Father In Law show me how to Butcher an animal.
Once shown it's not that hard to do
I know it's a long shot but.......if it works out......I am willing to show someone how to Butcher.
Maybe I'll throw a post up if I get my Whitetail this season.
I live in Armstrong.

SemperAurum
11-17-2019, 07:40 PM
I handle my own meat - often. Never fail to be pleased with the outcome regardless of a low yield or a bit of a mess.

twoSevenO
11-17-2019, 10:34 PM
I handle my own meat - often

I bet you do

Boner
11-17-2019, 10:38 PM
I handle my own meat - often. Never fail to be pleased with the outcome regardless of a low yield or a bit of a mess.

I bet you do

Wow, where do I start? And how far can I go with it?

I’m backing away slowly...

whitlers
11-17-2019, 10:52 PM

Hahaha excellent

Treed
11-17-2019, 11:31 PM
It is so easy to cut up a deer. Watch a few videos or get a buddy over. It’s not rocket science. In the time you drive back and forth to the butcher, you could debone the entire deer and have great steaks cut from the back straps and tenderloins. You’d wind up with four shanks that are freakin delicious. By the time you’ve driven back to pick up your meat, you’d have the roasts and steaks out of the back quarters and front quarters. The neck is a great slow roast. You won’t have any pepperoni but you’ll have a lot more great cuts from YOUR DEER that you spent so much time and money to harvest. Shame to not show up for the most important part and leave it in the hands of a stranger. Plus it feels good to be able to do it all - from forest to fork.

Firstblood
11-18-2019, 12:05 AM
It is quite easy once you do it once or twice, the information is there in books and online and its 1000% worth the effort. If you think you dont have space you are wrong, me and steelpulse had two deer in quarters and about 30 birds hanging from a sawhorse on a 4th floor balcony, everything went up the elevator, washed in a bathtub and aged on the balcony. Butchered in the kitchen and packaged ourselves, tasted amazing. I just hung my muley in my garage for 9 days, then butchered and vacuum sealed it up. If you want sausage or pep, take the scrap cuts to a butcher or do it yourself, Im gunna grind it on the kitchen aid grinder and have some fun. Not saying taking it to a butcher is wrong, thats what works for some situations but seeing threads and posts like this just blows my mind.

twoSevenO
11-18-2019, 09:09 AM
The problem for a lot of lower mainland hunters -- it's simply too warm to be hanging your mea tinnthe garage or on the balcony. You interior guys forget this. It's been over 10 degrees for most of November this year for us.

So a lot of people need somewhere to drop the meat off as they drive back into town.

I generally throw mine in the freezer, but then have to get at it within a day before it freezes solid
I can't take a 4 day break from unpacking, cleaning etc .... its gotta get done ASAP

Ride Red
11-18-2019, 09:45 AM
The problem for a lot of lower mainland hunters -- it's simply too warm to be hanging your mea tinnthe garage or on the balcony. You interior guys forget this. It's been over 10 degrees for most of November this year for us.

So a lot of people need somewhere to drop the meat off as they drive back into town.

I generally throw mine in the freezer, but then have to get at it within a day before it freezes solid
I can't take a 4 day break from unpacking, cleaning etc .... its gotta get done ASAP

And that is the problem, it’s too damn warm most times. Now I prefer to process my own, but have used Ron Brown a couple times. Both times Ron has been a stand up guy and most accommodating on arrival times. I’d definitely use Ron again.

Bubbacanuck
11-18-2019, 10:07 AM
I cut off my back straps and tenderloins before I take them to the butcher. Not worth having them touch those cuts.

Ride Red
11-18-2019, 10:26 AM
https://lawrencemeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/190827081404_0001.jpg

Found this list online. If you’re butcher doesn’t have a similar cut list, then print it and take it with you. This eliminates “most” problems when getting game processed. Cleanliness of carcass and shot placement are other factors to keep in mind and should be discussed beforehand. Communication is key!!!!

walks with deer
11-18-2019, 06:16 PM
op i guess you should cut yourself..

REMINGTON JIM
11-18-2019, 06:24 PM
Same story I had last year with Ennis. What a joke. Hard to tell if they're dishonest or just plain stupid.

Yea Whats with some of these BUTCHERS ? Do they not write it down on a Cutting order or ? Dishonest or STUPID ? RJ

SemperAurum
11-18-2019, 10:15 PM
i have no idea why any butcher would steal anybody's chewy game meat when they can steal all the finest beef, pork, or lamb???????

Pauly
11-18-2019, 10:33 PM
i have no idea why any butcher would steal anybody's chewy game meat when they can steal all the finest beef, pork, or lamb???????
Years ago when I was young and never new any better I took my meat to a butcher in Kamloops to be made into sausage. It was good but gave everyone the shits. Finally started to make my own stuff shits went away lol. Cut your own game make your own sausage. For what a butcher charges you can get set up for a reasonable cost. U tube is great learning tool just watch lots on the same topic that way you can weed the idiots out. Lots of knowledge on this site I’m sure if most asked they’d get good info. It’s awesome to see a final great product from doing something start to finish yourself.

REMINGTON JIM
11-18-2019, 11:12 PM

Maybe they DO steal it too ! Who knows for Sure ? RJ

338win mag
11-19-2019, 05:38 AM
When you find a good butcher, stick with them, like anything else your going to spend your hard earned money on, especially food stuff.
I have always cut my own meat, but one time I went to a meat cutter with a beautiful Whitetail I had shot around the end of October, it should of been exellent, it was not, it was someone else's stinky Muley that we couldn't eat.
It was like someone marinaded the meat in musk glands.

happyhunter
11-19-2019, 07:51 AM

kinda weird that butcher threads get you so excited...

SemperAurum
11-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Kinda exciting that you find it weird

xfactor
11-19-2019, 08:33 AM
has anyone entertained the idea of paying to use a DIY setup of a mini butcher shop including a walk in cooler to hang meat? Curious if there is any interest, or what you would be willing to pay per animal for use of facilities that would include grinder, vacuum pack, band saw, and sausage making equipment, including a smoker. Obviously different rates would apply for deer VS moose.

any thoughts or for-seeable issues? has this been done before?

Gateholio
11-19-2019, 10:59 AM
has anyone entertained the idea of paying to use a DIY setup of a mini butcher shop including a walk in cooler to hang meat? Curious if there is any interest, or what you would be willing to pay per animal for use of facilities that would include grinder, vacuum pack, band saw, and sausage making equipment, including a smoker. Obviously different rates would apply for deer VS moose.

any thoughts or for-seeable issues? has this been done before?

For liability reasons, I wouldn't include a band saw with any such set up. :)

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but dealing with people and cleaning up after them can be a nightmare.

SemperAurum
11-19-2019, 11:22 AM
I would steer clear of that idea and go smoke more weed until a new business venture idea comes into vision.

ryanonthevedder
11-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Cut your own meat!

twoSevenO
11-21-2019, 11:01 PM
I would steer clear of that idea and go smoke more weed until a new business venture idea comes into vision.

They do have such places in the USA. Less of a business and more of a "we are a hunting club and you're welcome to cut meat here".

I wouldn't go that route. I'm pretty picky with where I prepare my food and trusting the cleanliness of tools, meat and tables after some random strangers isnt my cup of tea.

walks with deer
11-22-2019, 06:32 AM
did i read this right? talking about eating ron jeremy's sausage??

digger dogger
11-22-2019, 07:31 AM

Im pretty sure Rusty, don’t do the weed!

It does sound good on paper, but I’m sure there’d be a few fingers lopped off here and there.

It’s actually pretty easy to butcher your own animals, but it takes a lot of time.

I can butcher up a duck, like the butchers do, but time is money to me, so I let the pros do it!;-)

Lillypuff
11-24-2019, 07:54 PM
lol my good buddy does butcher game and I always offer him anything he would like. He kindly refuses and says why would I eat that when I can eat beef or pork!

crazy ducker
11-24-2019, 08:01 PM
If there is anyone in the lower mainland that cuts their own meat how or where do you hang it. My hunting partner were discussing this. It would be great to butcher your own but need to hang it

Wentrot
11-24-2019, 08:24 PM
If there is anyone in the lower mainland that cuts their own meat how or where do you hang it. My hunting partner were discussing this. It would be great to butcher your own but need to hang it

we butcher it right away. No need to hang IMO

twoSevenO
11-24-2019, 08:31 PM
Hanging meat to "tenderize" is a myth. I dont have anywhere to do it, I dont do it, and my deer meat tastes the same or better than that of friends.

What hanging time it gets in camp is more than enough.

srthomas75
11-24-2019, 09:38 PM

I'm thinking that he means " I need to find a space to store it for a couple days before I have time set aside to cut it up " As I think this is the issue most guys have that live in the lower mainland. they get home form an trip, temps are warmer than where they were hunting, they need to put there gear away, get back to work/life etc... and then they would deal with the game later on if it was stored safely for a day or two. [ that's the situation that I'm in anyways ]

last light
11-24-2019, 09:53 PM
I'm thinking that he means " I need to find a space to store it for a couple days before I have time set aside to cut it up " As I think this is the issue most guys have that live in the lower mainland. they get home form an trip, temps are warmer than where they were hunting, they need to put there gear away, get back to work/life etc... and then they would deal with the game later on if it was stored safely for a day or two. [ that's the situation that I'm in anyways ]

Same problem that I had. Got myself a spare fridge in the garage, and now when I get a deer, I cut it into 5 pieces and toss it in. Then I work on one piece a day until it's done.

338win mag
11-25-2019, 06:34 AM
Same problem that I had. Got myself a spare fridge in the garage, and now when I get a deer, I cut it into 5 pieces and toss it in. Then I work on one piece a day until it's done.
Smart^^^^^^ I had a friend who had a spare fridge in his very small home just for this reason.

BeerMan
11-25-2019, 07:34 AM

Great Idea!

RICKADY
11-25-2019, 10:09 AM

WOW, I'm trying to learn something here and then I read this stuff, come on let's be civil,
I'm backing away fast.

twoSevenO
11-25-2019, 10:28 AM

I wish! Between my car, bike, quad and all the hunting and fishing and camping gear and one deep freeze, there is ZERO room left for another fridge/freezer lol

xfactor
11-26-2019, 06:36 AM
Im pretty sure Rusty, don’t do the weed!

It does sound good on paper, but I’m sure there’d be a few fingers lopped off here and there.

It’s actually pretty easy to butcher your own animals, but it takes a lot of time.

I can butcher up a duck, like the butchers do, but time is money to me, so I let the pros do it!;-)

thanks brother, LOL! no weed for me... but i do get Gates thought on the band saw and liability issues. im seriously considering converting a 20' shipping container into a self contained butcher unit with a 8x8 cooler on one end and the rest of the space with stainless benches and equipment including sink, i've been buying up used commercial equipment and have most of what i need at this point, just need to set it all in place.

As for hygiene twoseven0, have you looked inside some of the butcher shops?...no thanks

i really enjoy the whole butchering process, for me its all part of the hunt, having a dedicated place to do the work and keep the house clean is appealing.

Caribou_lou
11-26-2019, 08:46 AM
If you haven't butchered your own harvest i suggest you give it a try. Start small, deer preferably. When you butcher your own you know exactly what your getting when you pull it out of the freezer. I had a buddy give me some pronghorn steaks the other day. I thawed and unwrapped them only to spend the next 15 mins trimming them up. My dog was happy with the extra scraps but had a hard time knowing he paid for that butchering. Speed job I guess. Meat was very tender though. First time trying it.

twoSevenO
11-26-2019, 10:20 AM
thanks brother, LOL! no weed for me... but i do get Gates thought on the band saw and liability issues. im seriously considering converting a 20' shipping container into a self contained butcher unit with a 8x8 cooler on one end and the rest of the space with stainless benches and equipment including sink, i've been buying up used commercial equipment and have most of what i need at this point, just need to set it all in place.

As for hygiene twoseven0, have you looked inside some of the butcher shops?...no thanks

i really enjoy the whole butchering process, for me its all part of the hunt, having a dedicated place to do the work and keep the house clean is appealing.

Yup, I had some pepperoni done up at Sumas meats last year .... never again.

I showed up to the place and couldn't tell it I was at a butcher shop or a pig farm.

Gross.

My main reason for doing it myself, even though I'm usually dead tired and have other shit to do .... is because I dont trust people with their cleanliness.