PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

mulieaddiction
11-17-2015, 09:39 PM
hey im 23 going to cache creek and ashcroft tomorrow i wonna make sure i have what i need is there snow on the mountains i dont think there is any in town but any on the fsrs thank!!

landphil
11-17-2015, 09:45 PM
There will be snow and ice at the higher elevations for sure, the hills are white around here, not very far from the valley floor.

M.Dean
11-17-2015, 09:47 PM
It's the middle of November, so count on snow.

Bushy
11-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Rained at 4200ft late this morning and warmed up to 3 Deg. Snowed a few days ago with 6" wet snow. Light snow before the rain hit and back to snow(wet) at 3 p.m. Last nights wind created drifts in open cuts from the first snowfall.
Icing up tonight to -8 to -10

Will be SLICK!

Cpl_Punishment
11-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Winter tires, sandbags and CHAINS! I was up there on the weekend and ended up in a pretty sticky situation and almost ended out over the edge. Thankfully a few other trucks came along and were able to help me out. Even trucks with the smaller chains were sliding.

mulieaddiction
11-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Ok thanks guys i also have a winch and lockers front and rear and big vbar chains

russm86
11-18-2015, 09:02 AM
I was pushing over a foot of snow in the hills just north of Cache Creek area last weekend.

Bugle M In
11-18-2015, 11:08 AM
just remember, it went from about an inch up top of plateaus, to a foot in almost a day.
So, things can change real fast!
A drive in, can lead to plowing snow with your front bumper all the way out.
Just use your head, and watch the conditions while there happening.
Always carry chainsaw, shovel ,axe and chains at this time of year.
Good luck

okas
11-18-2015, 11:32 AM
i would be more worried about a cold snap up high . Woke up in the middle of the night years ago the small trees snapping

huntingtime
11-18-2015, 12:42 PM
How will this cold snap and snow affect the deer in that area. Will they go into the valleys now?

Bugle M In
11-18-2015, 05:17 PM
How will this cold snap and snow affect the deer in that area. Will they go into the valleys now?

Only if they can no longer push snow up top, and can't get to feed due to ice.

lostmind
11-18-2015, 05:23 PM
I was hunting up here before the snow, saw a couple 2 pt bucks plus a bunch of does. Then it dumped 6+" of snow and although I was able to get up into the hills, hunting was crap. Saw a few tracks and that's it. I guess it's just too much noise trudging thru the snow...

Husky7mm
11-18-2015, 05:40 PM
A pair of chains and a shovel is a great tool tool to have for late season mulie hunting.... Gets you back, way back and up to where they are. They will stay up high till its hard to get around. Easy to get lost if its snowing while your out so gps or compass or the likes is important to find tour way back. I wish i was hunting late season mulies in the deep snow right now. They dont move sometimes for 1/2 a day after a big dump, dont think they left cause you dont see tracks in the AM.

walks with deer
11-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Salt and tiger torch in addition to other items mentioned has bailed me out...sleeping bag and spare food.

Bugle M In
11-18-2015, 08:28 PM
A pair of chains and a shovel is a great tool tool to have for late season mulie hunting.... Gets you back, way back and up to where they are. They will stay up high till its hard to get around. Easy to get lost if its snowing while your out so gps or compass or the likes is important to find tour way back. I wish i was hunting late season mulies in the deep snow right now. They dont move sometimes for 1/2 a day after a big dump, dont think they left cause you dont see tracks in the AM.
No, the deer just didn't move...I experienced the same thing...little deer movement last Sunday, after the snow.
But they are still there.
Also, I agree, carry a gps!!!!
There are so many cutblocks now, you can easily get yourself screwed up!!!
But, don't do it like my buddies...they just mark a waypoint, never taking the time to add a name or note to it,
and than they have no clue where this waypoint goes to or what is there when they get there.
GPS is awesome....
I think I forgot the shovel in previous post, and if you can, a come along winch is also Frickin handy!

Ride Red
11-18-2015, 08:37 PM
And, take it easy driving as there has been a lot of accidents lately 'cause of speed. You never know when you're going to need to stop.

okas
11-21-2015, 08:21 PM
yup a few few times the camp stove under the oil pan and all chained up parked facing down hill

Andrewh
11-22-2015, 08:57 AM
I've seen deer in areas where they were dragging their belly in the snow, takes a lot to move them down.

If you want to 100% find a buck in FRESH snow find a scrap or the largest print you can and start walking. They aren't going to walk for ever so chances are you will be able to walk it down provided you are keen enough.

They can dig pretty well for food...