PDA

View Full Version : Mule Tips

ncaufield
11-17-2015, 05:40 PM
We are heading up to south east corner of 5-1 this weekend. North of Hwy 24 / Bridge Lake. I'm am used to Whitetail hunting in Ontario where they bait their deer and sit in blinds all day etc. I do have a ground blind with me, but first time in area (3 of us - one has a doe tag) so don't know it that well. Someone told me deer baiting is illegal in BC. True?

Option 1: I was thinking of setting the blind close to a game trail if I can find one near a creek and throwing down some Deer Bomb or some other attractant. If I do that the first day before we start, is that too soon before the hunt? Or does it need more time to sit?

Option 2: My buddy says to cover as much ground as possible and glass the cuts. We have quads.

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

monasheemountainman
11-17-2015, 05:45 PM
You can bait deer in bc. But it takes longer than one or two days to get deer used to the food/salt etc...i would do more exploring, hiking, covering ground, and glossing than just sitting in a blind.

mule deer will be rutting, good luck

todbartell
11-17-2015, 05:51 PM
option 2 sounds more productive. Cover ground, find the does. Hunt the does, and you will find your buck. good luck

Coachman
11-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Spend the first day finding where they are.

Then you can set up where there is the MOST sign.

I've dropped plenty of mulies from ground blinds.

You can't bait bears or cats in bc. Deer are fine

Lozzie
11-17-2015, 08:09 PM
I haven't been to 5-1 in a couple years but if you are fit and want to shoot a big Muley than drive you're quad up high and stash it. Hike the timber while continually glassing, take you're time. When you have a partner it's better because you can leave one vehicle low and one up high. Don't waste time still hunting or sitting in a blind you'll freeze you're ass off. Shooting a buck while driving around tends to be a more of an old man's game at least that's my experience, guess I'm not old enough to deserve those opportunities. Be patient and put in the work.

Islandeer
11-17-2015, 09:08 PM
I haven't been to 5-1 in a couple years but if you are fit and want to shoot a big Muley than drive you're quad up high and stash it. Hike the timber while continually glassing, take you're time. When you have a partner it's better because you can leave one vehicle low and one up high. Don't waste time still hunting or sitting in a blind you'll freeze you're ass off. Shooting a buck while driving around tends to be a more of an old man's game at least that's my experience, guess I'm not old enough to deserve those opportunities. Be patient and put in the work.

Do this AND aim to see deer before they see you,so when you are in deery feeling spots go slow. Big Muley bucks are cagey. Stay with the does, in timber they like the thicker draws,on the edges. Jeez its fun!!

warnniklz
11-17-2015, 10:56 PM
If you have a day to burn... try option one. I personally like option 2 a hell of a lot better. First light and last light are prime time. As I assume the same with you eastern whitetails.

But being November, the big boys are a little more focused on chasing tail. If you find it's windy or mid day, hunt benches above meadows and clearings. Especially if those areas are a little thicker.

Not overly familiar with 5-1, but if you find a lot of road poachers are out, concentrate on ravines and draws. They seem to hold up like fish in a deep pool.

ncaufield
11-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Spend the first day finding where they are.

Then you can set up where there is the MOST sign.

I've dropped plenty of mulies from ground blinds.

You can't bait bears or cats in bc. Deer are fine

​What is the ideal spot? What sign should I be looking for? I know what a rub and scrape look like. But in a new area should I be trying to find those by con cent rating on certain landscapes, flora etc? We have a cabin on the lake there and the creek that runs into it has a some crossings and a waterfall upstream a bit. I thought that might be good. Or juts look for droppings and tracks?

steepNdeep
11-18-2015, 10:11 AM
You gotta put in your time to learn the area. I would glass the edges of any openings at first/last light. Mid day you can scout - drive around & make note of where you see the most tracks on the bank. Go back to that spot, park the truck & start following the tracks. Deer need 3 things, food, water & cover. In dry areas, sometimes it's easiest to start at the water source. Follow the trails back up to find their feeding & bedding areas in the timber. Once you have that all figured out, figure out the best place to ambush them when they are moving from their beds to food or water... The rut is the wildcard. Find the does & eventually a buck will show up. Good luck & let us know how it goes...