PDA

View Full Version : Skagit Road washed out, people trapped

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 04:49 PM
Just got a scanner message...

Skagit road is washed out... people trapped on other side.

Looks like I missed my free chopper ride by a couple days.

M.Dean
11-17-2015, 05:03 PM
The way the rains coming down up here right now, I can see roads being washed away! It's 4.8 degree's out now, and slowly dropping, and with the rain on top of the snow, the back roads will be treacherous, be careful out there!

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 05:05 PM
The above mentioned road was bad on Friday when I went. I drove passed the flooding across the road... just figured worst case scenario it will wash out and I'd have the place to myself. No such luck though.

Glenny
11-17-2015, 05:16 PM
Wow bad week for the roads. snow dumps now warsh outs.

heatherdaddy
11-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Well I guess that means no more hunting in that valley this year, unless you can get past it with a good 4x4.
I was heading back there next weekend to check my cams but I guess not now.

Xenomorph
11-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Any idea which KM the road washed out at?!?

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 08:16 PM
No other details sorry. Judging by Friday I'd guess not far after Silver Lake and around 16km. It was flowing pretty good about 8-10 inches. Saturday coming out was fine... only a bit of water and a strip gone where the water was. Guessing the warm temps there today melted the snow that came down Saturday plus the rain made for a good gush. Could be fine again now. No details about the people stuck but I saw people driving down there in civics and corollas Saturday afternoon on my way out... could be little cars stuck.

Iron Glove
11-17-2015, 09:26 PM
My Hope S&R Buddy was out on that call today and yes, I think he mentioned it was @ the Silver Lake area.
Something like 19 hunters but a few managed to wade the wash out to the safe side.
The others are apparently hunkering down for the night.
To be honest, with the winds ( 125 kph gusts ) and rain we've had today, sure hope the trapped folks didn't head up there today knowing the weather situation.

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Yeah they should be able to get out fine by tomorow. Hopefully at least one of them has a chainsaw too.

I don't have an issue with people heading out in those conditions as long as they don't expect to be rescued. I would head out as long as I was prepared to spend a night or too. Wouldn't sleep near none of them widow makers either.

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Pro-tips for the area:

- they call it flood hope for a reason
- Check weather for hope and add 6-9 for the highs and subtract 6-9 from the lows
- Expect ice rink effect, v-bar chains are good as ice skates at times

howa1500
11-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Are the camping hobos stuck there as well?

BCHunterTV
11-17-2015, 10:10 PM
When you have more details please keep us posted...

No other details sorry. Judging by Friday I'd guess not far after Silver Lake and around 16km. It was flowing pretty good about 8-10 inches. Saturday coming out was fine... only a bit of water and a strip gone where the water was. Guessing the warm temps there today melted the snow that came down Saturday plus the rain made for a good gush. Could be fine again now. No details about the people stuck but I saw people driving down there in civics and corollas Saturday afternoon on my way out... could be little cars stuck.

Iron Glove
11-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Yeah they should be able to get out fine by tomorow. Hopefully at least one of them has a chainsaw too.

I don't have an issue with people heading out in those conditions as long as they don't expect to be rescued. I would head out as long as I was prepared to spend a night or too. Wouldn't sleep near none of them widow makers either.

I know where you are coming from but when the poop hits the fan people want to be rescued and it's the S&R guys who end up risking their lives.

caddisguy
11-18-2015, 07:43 AM
Edit: disregard last pic/info... it was from June !!

caddisguy
11-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Are the camping hobos stuck there as well?

It will be ugly when they run out of booze/meth.

ruger#1
11-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Always pack a chainsaw.

BCHunterTV
11-23-2015, 11:54 AM
I got in there Saturday and was disgusted by the amount of garbage from the hobos....7 km approximately there is a full size camper with garbage all over...tires off the front tires and clearly abandoned.

Few km down we stumbled across a bunker with gear stashed underground

Then at 15 km there is a huge active camp..

Is there anything that can be done about the hobos?

Xenomorph
11-23-2015, 01:46 PM
I got in there Saturday and was disgusted by the amount of garbage from the hobos....7 km approximately there is a full size camper with garbage all over...tires off the front tires and clearly abandoned.

Few km down we stumbled across a bunker with gear stashed underground

Then at 15 km there is a huge active camp..

Is there anything that can be done about the hobos?

I don't know, could we get COs/RCMP involved? Would they even bother?

Dash
11-23-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure if they would bother... I've seen it before at other places and the RCMP were in the area and didn't bother doing anything. CO's though..Maybe.. Hopefully? Or maybe combined efforts..

It seriously makes me so irate to see people like that or just campers/outdoor people in general leaving their garbage. I can't count the amount of times I've come home with other peoples garbage in the back of my truck.

One of these times I'm going to collect it all, follow them home and then dump it all over the fricken lawn. Or in this case, pile it all outside these hobo's doors or physically on them..

Mulehahn
11-23-2015, 03:20 PM
A quote directly from a Chilliwack times article this past summer (http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/321778701.html):

"There are exceptions. There is a homeless individual with a van who camps all summer at a site much further up the valley right on the river. He legally should only be allowed to stay for two weeks, but unless someone directly says they want to camp in that specific spot, Jacobi won’t evict him."

From what I can gather, we have to phone the C/Os office and say we all want to camp where the hobos are. Then demand it be cleaned up so it is safe. Then repeat every 2 weeks. I doubt they will want to continuously move there camps, even if it is the law.

BCHunterTV
11-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Raised a concern about the camper that's parked 8 ft from the fish bearing river with garbage all about ...and the toilet 20 feet from the river

I also alerted Natural Resource Officers (different from a Conservation Officer).* Of the hobo camp at 15km

Ryo
02-23-2016, 12:58 PM
Can anybody confirm that the washout has been repaired/reopened for public use?

BCHunterTV
02-23-2016, 07:22 PM
13 km washout is pretty bad...the others are minor

As for repairs... they won't take place for a month or so

caddisguy
02-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Did they ever get rid of the hobo camps? Almost ran down a guard dog from the 15km (i think) camp back in December. Dang thing jumped out barking at the jeep. Glad I wasn't on foot.

Ryo
02-23-2016, 08:14 PM
13 km washout is pretty bad...the others are minor

As for repairs... they won't take place for a month or so

thanks muchly! The winter chanterelles will live to see another day.

BCHunterTV
02-23-2016, 11:35 PM
i had that dog in the crosshairs one trip...one lucky dog...lol

Did they ever get rid of the hobo camps? Almost ran down a guard dog from the 15km (i think) camp back in December. Dang thing jumped out barking at the jeep. Glad I wasn't on foot.