PDA

View Full Version : Jalapeņo cheese smokies. ?????

danfloris
11-17-2015, 04:36 PM
I called my sausage guy today and asked if I brought him the cheese and jalapeņos of he could make me smokies with my deer. I hung up the phone and forgot to ask how much I need to bring. I'll be doing a full batch and that's 20lbs of deer plus the pork he adds so more like 30lbs I guess.
Does anyone have experience with this and know roughly how much cheese and jalapeņos I should bring him ?

Thanks

northernbc
11-17-2015, 04:40 PM
I would say 8 lbs that will be about 1/3 your meat fat mix it is what I like

danfloris
11-17-2015, 04:42 PM
I would say 8 lbs that will be about 1/3 your meat fat mix it is what I like

8 lbs of cheese and jalapeņos?

Thanks for for the quick reply

northernbc
11-17-2015, 04:46 PM
sorry , no just cheese wife does not eat the jalapenos. not sure about them

danfloris
11-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Ok thank you very much. I would think half that for the peppers would be my guess. Or they would be crazy spicy.

Thanks agian

M.Dean
11-17-2015, 04:56 PM
I don't have a clue, but let us know when your going to pick them up! Maybe we could have a tailgate party in front of the sausage guys place!!! And, a side note, we had 50 pounds done last fall, they were great, but I found the casing's seemed tough? If that's possible? When I cooked them in the Bar Ba Que or on a camp fire, I had to cut the "Rind" off them for the kids, maybe mention that to your sausage guy, maybe ours were in a different type of casing? But, man were they tasty!!!

Glenny
11-17-2015, 05:11 PM
I don't have a clue, but let us know when your going to pick them up! Maybe we could have a tailgate party in front of the sausage guys place!!! And, a side note, we had 50 pounds done last fall, they were great, but I found the casing's seemed tough? If that's possible? When I cooked them in the Bar Ba Que or on a camp fire, I had to cut the "Rind" off them for the kids, maybe mention that to your sausage guy, maybe ours were in a different type of casing? But, man were they tasty!!!

Mr Dean. Smokies are usually tough skinned. Most likely from the smoking. Just use a sharp knife and score them in a checkering fashion. Easy on the bite.:p

Glenny
11-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Dan. Maybe check in inner net for recipes or youtube. Or call the butcher back.

beeker
11-17-2015, 05:56 PM
If you use fresh jalapenos, you can use a lot less (they are way hotter). For a more balanced spice i would recommend using the canned (pickled jalapenos) they seem to be more consistent with the spice level (pretty sure you can get a giant jar at costco for very cheap). The fresh ones can be unpredictable at best and can result in a much hotter spice level than desired. Also, there is a special cheese you can use that holds up much better while cooking than regular cheese (which can tend to melt and just leak out). Hope this helps.

Beeker

beeker
11-17-2015, 06:09 PM
I believe its called a high temp cheese and recommended use is between 5-10%

http://www.stuffers.com/No-Melt-Cheddar-Cheese-p/michch5lbbaga.htm

Beaverhunter
11-17-2015, 07:45 PM
I temp is way better I have had good success with it. It's good in burgers aswell.

Brambles
11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
I made 20 lbs of elk jalapeņo cheese sausages..

used 24 jalapeņo but the wife took the seeds and the membrane out of them and there is zero heat...we have kids so that's fine...
we used one of those big family blocks of Armstrong cheese probably 1 1/4 kg or so...it's lots of cheese.

M.Dean
11-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Mr Dean. Smokies are usually tough skinned. Most likely from the smoking. Just use a sharp knife and score them in a checkering fashion. Easy on the bite.:p Why thank'ya Big Glenny, got a few packages left from last year, think I'll grab a couple and try the "checkering" idea and take them on the quad with me in the morning! And the nice thing with smokies is there great for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and you can cook them a hundred different ways, or eat them raw, and no matter what you do to them, there great!

Viper
11-18-2015, 09:09 AM
I have found the natural hog casings make for a tough bite on the smokies. Has anyone tried collagen casings? I did use the high temp cheese from stuffers last year and it was great. I think I used 5 lbs for 50 lbs of meat. I usually smoke them for a few hours then finish them in the oven.