PDA

View Full Version : Rut

lakelander
11-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Going for Muley in reg 3. Anyone know if the rut has started? Thx.

Wrayzer
11-17-2015, 02:51 PM
It is the 3rd week of Novemeber. Short answer...absolutely.

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 03:01 PM
yup, it's started...depends where you go I guess.
the "buck Crazy" hasn't started as of Sunday in my opinion.
But the little guys are getting interested, just didn't see any big guys where I was..spikes 2pts 3pt etc.
3 pts courting the does was as close as I got, but I don't think the does were in heat yet, atleast not this cycle.
Snow levels have a lot to do with it, and the problem was, there wasn't any til Sunday morning.
Should of had atleast a foot by now in the lowlands nd 3 ft up top.
IMO, if I could hunt this week or weekend, I would for sure, but other buddies don't want to go til the following week:-(
Good luck

Glenny
11-17-2015, 03:07 PM
nope. not where im huntn.

VPELT
11-17-2015, 03:38 PM
I was out in 8-26 a couple weeks ago just above Mara Lake. Nailed a 2point and he was already stinking up quite a bit. Definitely started in 3

Glenny
11-17-2015, 04:03 PM
I have found those spikers and 2 points are on perma rut. They always got a stink on. Teen bucks right? lol

hunter1947
11-17-2015, 04:56 PM
The rut for mulies and WT are well into the rut ..

604redneck
11-17-2015, 05:03 PM
I have found those spikers and 2 points are on perma rut. They always got a stink on. Teen bucks right? lol

Thats the truth i shot a 4x3 in region 8 beginning of october and it stunk.

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Agree, the rut is on, and that being said, until the winter's change (more snow), I need to search for a new location.
The Does are there, just not the legal Bucks, an no Jelly! (in case your reading), the big boys are there only in the dark.
The sign of Big Legal Bucks just aren't there.!!!
And I don't feel like shooting a Crab Claw 4, even though I should to put the "dent on" regarding that type of
Crappy Genetic Deer, that seems to be coming all too very common around Cache Creek/Clinton/Kamloops.

Katanajay
11-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Got a big 5x4 in region 8-7 Nov 1 and he was stinky as all get out. Be heading up to Loops this weekend for another stinky buck. Never hunted the area before so fingers crossed.

one-shot-wonder
11-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Agree, the rut is on, and that being said, until the winter's change (more snow), I need to search for a new location.
The Does are there, just not the legal Bucks, an no Jelly! (in case your reading), the big boys are there only in the dark.
The sign of Big Legal Bucks just aren't there.!!!
And I don't feel like shooting a Crab Claw 4, even though I should to put the "dent on" regarding that type of
Crappy Genetic Deer, that seems to be coming all too very common around Cache Creek/Clinton/Kamloops.

Took a buck on the weekend that was heavily on the prowl, his worst decision was to flirt one more time with some does....no fat on him left and my eyes watered due to stench.

As for the crab claw genes, it's more a function of poor nutrition. Hunt a recent burn you won't see nearly as many crab claws!

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Took a buck on the weekend that was heavily on the prowl, his worst decision was to flirt one more time with some does....no fat on him left and my eyes watered due to stench.

As for the crab claw genes, it's more a function of poor nutrition. Hunt a recent burn you won't see nearly as many crab claws!
yup, the 3x3 was letting go of the 2 does he was with either, but than again, there was no 4pt to take his place.
As for feed/nutrition, that might be plausible, but that wouldn't explain why some bucks are your typical nicely forked bucks,
of the same age, while others are crab clawed, also of the same age.
And don't get me wrong, they may have some thick beams, just not large fork splits.
And, this is an area where non-typicals, as well a large class bucks historically roamed.
Also, they might not be the burns, but the clearcutting has been major since the mid 80's on, and still going strong.
But, that being said, I will take it under consideration.
If I get back up this weekend, and the snow keeps falling, my tune might change where I go.
But, I saw some "FRICKIN MONSTERS" that were just takin, on someone's I-phone at a Gas Station around the Loops.
All I can say, those 2 bucks look like something that would have only been possible in the late 1800's or early 1900's.
The 1 buck had probably 100 class hanging "below the main beams", not to mention the stuff and mass on top!!!!!!!
I never believed a buck like that would exist anymore, especially with all the logging and ease of access these days.
Someone here posted a awesome non typical last year on this site, ( name??), and I thought that was a monster.
This buck made it look like a "pup".
Sadly, this buck and photos wont ever be posted here...or anywhere I think.

one-shot-wonder
11-17-2015, 08:07 PM
No doubt there are still hammer bucks around, the last decade of easy winters will dictate this if they can avoid preds.
If you want to hunt in mature buck country, find an area with the least road density possible. Mix in a "wet belt" and a burn or two and you have a recipe for swayed back, scar faced, gummer bucks! Good luck, sounds like the conditions are cooperating out there!

Chuck Norris
11-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Mulies are absolutely rutting in Reg 3... Haven't been able to catch up to any of the big boys yet but seen their tracks chasing does. Passed up four legal all of which were swelled up like Dwayne Johnson and dripping snot from the nose. Booya love this time of year. Seen some nice bucks come out of this region the last couple of years... Hunting these days doesn't compare to what it was back in the 80's, but there are still some crankers out there. Just have to put the time in and control that itchy finger. On another note, seen some good bucks taken out of the Kootenays this year. Too early to assume anything but hopefully it means the population is rebounding with few decent winters and houndsman taking a chunk out of the cougar population. One can only hope.

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 11:44 PM
one thing I did see more of was mule deer in the EK, and moose...sorry for the sidetrack.

lakelander
11-18-2015, 10:23 AM
We'll be heading out next Tuesday so hopefully there'll be more snow up high to bring the big guys down.

Bugle M In
11-18-2015, 11:01 AM
We'll be heading out next Tuesday so hopefully there'll be more snow up high to bring the big guys down.
That's the main problem these days, the snow only really begins to show up after the rut is over.
Good luck guys and gals

bangbangkhan
11-18-2015, 12:34 PM
I was there last weekend and it's not crazy yet...coming in late this year.