PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new spot for blacktail. How to pin down a spot?

Sqrle
11-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am really trying to figure this out. Last year was my first year hunting and ended up getting 2 nice young bucks!! I was told about this spot to go check out by a friend of a friend. I am searching for a new spot to hopefully get one this year. My question is how does somebody know where they can and can not hunt? Besides the obvious marked private/native/park land and what is posted in the regs, how does a person know if they can hunt in a certain area? I've seen a lot of places that look like they would be really good places to look for deer but am not sure if i can hunt there. Without it being obvious, how do I know?

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am really trying to figure this out. Last year was my first year hunting and ended up getting 2 nice young bucks!! I was told about this spot to go check out by a friend of a friend. I am searching for a new spot to hopefully get one this year. My question is how does somebody know where they can and can not hunt? Besides the obvious marked private/native/park land and what is posted in the regs, how does a person know if they can hunt in a certain area? I've seen a lot of places that look like they would be really good places to look for deer but am not sure if i can hunt there. Without it being obvious, how do I know?

Check out the IMAP/DATABC layers: http://www.data.gov.bc.ca/dbc/geographic/view_and_analyze/imapbc/index.page

Pick some crown land, filter for leases / private areas / ecological areas... if it's all clear, double check the hunting synopsis and you should be good to go.

If within city limits, check municipal bylaws for hunting / discharge ... if it's a Provincial Park, check whether or not the specific park allows hunting and also refer to the Parks Act for special regulations (like no discharge 400M from road)

Sqrle
11-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks! I'll have a look at this later tonight when I get a chance.