PDA

View Full Version : Wind effect on Rut

Cyrus
11-17-2015, 10:06 AM
in my neck of the woods its been blowing 50-90 k since the closure...what effect on the rut would this have. Usually when its windy like this you cant find a deer anywhere and theyare usually hunkered down. Would this effect deer movement for rutting bucks?

Wrayzer
11-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Makes for easer spot and stalks that's for sure

Backwoods
11-17-2015, 10:26 AM
Makes for easer spot and stalks that's for sure
Can't agree anymore, the noise from the wind sure can help you stalk up on deer as long as the wind is in the right direction!!!! Haha in Alberta flat lands and Saskatchewan the winds don't seem to affect the deer

Sofa King
11-17-2015, 10:47 AM
i dont know about the rut in general, but the high winds this year have greatly affected the deer movements in all my areas.
and it has seriously been massively windy every dang trip ive made it out this year.

wideopenthrottle
11-17-2015, 11:04 AM
all is know is that I can sneak up on a lot more animals when it is windy that when it is dead calm...especially if the ground is noisy (crunchy ice, dry sticks or squeaky snow)

hunter1947
11-17-2015, 11:07 AM
I have taken many bucks when its windy the deer can't hear you coming because of the wind

Sofa King
11-17-2015, 11:15 AM
nobody is saying deer are impossible to harvest in the wind.
but does the wind affect the deer.
it definitely seems to change their movements/activities.
in the deer and the sign i have watched this season, like us, the deer also use those winds to their maximum advantage.
when they did move, it was always with the wind in their face, and beds were with nasty shit in the rear and facing the wind in the front.

OutWest
11-17-2015, 04:26 PM
nobody is saying deer are impossible to harvest in the wind.
but does the wind affect the deer.
it definitely seems to change their movements/activities.
in the deer and the sign i have watched this season, like us, the deer also use those winds to their maximum advantage.
when they did move, it was always with the wind in their face, and beds were with nasty shit in the rear and facing the wind in the front.

Interesting. Spent an extended period of time in one area at the beginning of this month with some extremely windy days. Rain/snow blowing sideways but deer movement was no different than on the calm days. Deer can't afford to hunker down everytime it gets a little gusty!

358mag
11-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Interesting. Spent an extended period of time in one area at the beginning of this month with some extremely windy days. Rain/snow blowing sideways but deer movement was no different than on the calm days. Deer can't afford to hunker down everytime it gets a little gusty!
How was your hunt ??:wink:

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 06:34 PM
I find they hunker down more, in thicker stuff, or in spots where the landscape subdues the effects of the high winds,
but, that being said, sneaking up on them is a whole lot easier, unless like said, they are bedded down in the thick stuff.
If out feeding however, they are easier to walk in on.

OutWest
11-17-2015, 08:22 PM
How was your hunt ??:wink:

Improved the gene pool...

358mag
11-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Improved the gene pool...

Good work OW http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png hope the pack out wasn't to bad