PDA

View Full Version : Rattle bag versus antlers for blacktails?

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Ever since I started hunting, a rattle bag has been part of my arsenal. While still hunting (when I figure the rut or pre-rut has started, I will stop to crouch down somewhere, rattle a little and wait) So far the only animal that cruised by to check it out was a cougar a couple years ago and it figured us out from 40 yards away.

The sound it makes seems similar (to my ears) of antlers... probably a little high pitched though (it's a small to mid size rattle bag which might be to blame) I'm starting to think it's not going to fool a deer and does more harm than good.

So antlers versus rattle bag... huge difference? And raking trees with antlers... does that help much?

Unfortunately I haven't taken any bucks or come across any sheds. I don't recall seeing any non-synthetic goods at Wholesale or CT. Is there any place that carries them? Guessing there might be legal issues selling sheds.

Any advice on effectiveness (synthetic versus real deal) and where to get some real bone would be appreciated.

Wentrot
11-17-2015, 08:25 AM
I use real antlers. I didn't like the sound of the rattle bag compared to the real antlers.

ruger#1
11-17-2015, 08:28 AM
I was tired at carrying antlers. I tried hanging them around my neck. They always were in the way.I bought a rattle bag and a long can doe bleat. If you use them together. You will get results. It all not work all the time. And the doe bleat will attract predators. Use a tree branch for rubbing on trees. Sometimes the deer will run in. And sometimes they will just look from a distance. All you will see is their head. Keep the wind in your face. They are tricky to hunt. My rattle bag is a knight And Hale.

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 08:45 AM
I was tired at carrying antlers. I tried hanging them around my neck. They always were in the way.I bought a rattle bag and a long can doe bleat. If you use them together. You will get results. It all not work all the time. And the doe bleat will attract predators. Use a tree branch for rubbing on trees. Sometimes the deer will run in. And sometimes they will just look from a distance. All you will see is their head. Keep the wind in your face. They are tricky to hunt. My rattle bag is a knight And Hale.

That was one concern I had. I hike and climb my way through a lot of crap. If I do get antlers, they will need to be small and preferably on the dull side... something I could safely tie to the back of my pack or put in my pack that won't snag and won't be a safety issue when I fall down (not uncommon)

I've been using the rattle bag and can call, sometimes in conjunction. Each maybe 2-3 per day (sparingly so it doesn't sound like an unrealistic deer party) ... recently mastered imitating the can call with my own vocals... been practicing during the drives in (solo trips only!!) starting to get good and can mix it up better tightening and moving my throat than covering holes on the can. Sounds way more natural. Only problem is I need to get warmed up before it sounds right and I can't do that in the bush. More practice!!!

ruger are you using the large rattle bag? Thinking size might matter for pitch.

And where did you guys get your antlers? Find them? Shot them? Store bought?

Wentrot
11-17-2015, 09:07 AM
I found mine, two little forks. Easy to carry. I honestly haven't really used em much even though I almost always have them on me-too concerned of doing more harm than good lol

chinook
11-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Rattle bag. Antlers are too cumbersome for the realestate blackies occupy. Rattle bag and a can call along will get results IF You out your time in and cover ground. Best of luck. Im tagged out.

Sofa King
11-17-2015, 10:53 AM
im not impressed by the sound of the rattle bag.
but if the deer are, thats all that matters.
in the past, i have always carried a small set of wt antlers from a deer i shot.
but this year, i cut a set up and made my own rattle, but it still doesnt sound as good as a full set of antlers, it just cant.

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Hmm. Maybe my rattle bag sucks. Listened to a few on Youtube and those ones sounded more like bone (at least over the MIC) Thinking mine sounds too high pitch.. almost slightly metallic...it's got that "CLINK" kind of sound to it like a bag of plastic checkers might make. Heck I just realized if I tip a container of aspirin up and down it sounds more like bone to me than my rattle bag does. I guess I'll try out some other ones and see if I can come up with some actual bone, field test it all and see what works for me in my areas.

I found a site that sells antlers, but it's in the US. Just need to make sure it's like to buy/import them (whole other topic discussed in other threads, just going to do my own homework) ... though if anyone in Langley or downtown Vancouver happens to have any they want to part with, feel free to PM me :)

Also found a pet store in Vancouver that sells pieces of deer antlers... maybe some of those in a little sack would do the job!!

Mulehahn
11-17-2015, 12:21 PM
I have read similar complaints elsewhere. People suggested taking out some of the rattle sticks and replacing them with wood dowels. Supposed to remove the tinging sound and make it more natural. This was on American forum I go to. Haven't tried it myself but reasoning sounds solid to me

SPEYMAN
11-17-2015, 01:53 PM
I think of rattling and calling very much like fishing. If there are no fish in the lake, you can't catch them. If there are no deer within hearing range, you can't attract them.

I was not convinced either would work until it did. After a number of different tries in two Provinces over a three year period, it happened. Rattled, used the grunt call and the buck came on the run. Have now called, rattled several deer. It works when the timing, location and deer are around. Not always but is always worth a try.

caddisguy
11-17-2015, 01:59 PM
I think of rattling and calling very much like fishing. If there are no fish in the lake, you can't catch them. If there are no deer within hearing range, you can't attract them.

I was not convinced either would work until it did. After a number of different tries in two Provinces over a three year period, it happened. Rattled, used the grunt call and the buck came on the run. Have now called, rattled several deer. It works when the timing, location and deer are around. Not always but is always worth a try.

Makes sense if they aren't around you can't attract them. And I am certain I have rattled many times when they are not around. I just want to make sure when I try rattling when they are around that it works. I think the metallic-clink-plastic-checkers-in-a-bag rattle might do more harm than good if there is a deer around. I figure after 3 years it's time to switch it up... new bag + real bone. I'll try them both.

ruger#1
11-18-2015, 03:50 AM
Sorry caddis. My power was out all day yesterday. I use the rattle bag. You might be able to make you own. Try cutting up some small antlers. And see them in a bag. I rattled a two point muledeer in one year up in Clinton. It scared me. That deer came in fast.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-18-2015, 05:29 AM
The thing about the pieces in the rattle bag is that they're angular, hence why they click. If you use antler in a bag, they will just slide past each other merely rubbing (not clacking) as you try to squish the bag, and I'm doubtful you'll get the results you'll want. While I don't live or hunt in blacktail country (the thought of hunting in the pouring rain and/or wet bush gives me shivers :) ), I do carry a real set, and I have lopped off the sharp points after a couple of near mishaps. They're nice and dull now!

I'm with you on the rattle bag - sounds terrible. I've thought about trying it (after I'm tagged out) when I actually can see deer around and can observe their reaction, but of course what we think we will have time to do and what the wife tells you to do by the time you get an animal or two down are usually 2 different things!

boxhitch
11-18-2015, 06:56 AM
Think about what you are trying to do here. Consider what goes on in nature.

You are imitating two bucks possibly sparring in play , or an all-out battle. One says hey there are two bucks over here, the other says lookout these are the two bad-azzes in the area ready to take on all.
Different sounds for different messages , and timing of the rut has a lot to do with it.
Are you trying to have another any-buck come by in curiousity and maybe challenge the little guy , or are you trying to get the dominant buck riled up for a fight ?

Do does stand around a buck fight and bleat their approval ? I doubt it.

Any attracting has to sound like and when it happens naturally to be most effective.

caddisguy
11-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Think about what you are trying to do here. Consider what goes on in nature.

You are imitating two bucks possibly sparring in play , or an all-out battle. One says hey there are two bucks over here, the other says lookout these are the two bad-azzes in the area ready to take on all.
Different sounds for different messages , and timing of the rut has a lot to do with it.
Are you trying to have another any-buck come by in curiousity and maybe challenge the little guy , or are you trying to get the dominant buck riled up for a fight ?

Do does stand around a buck fight and bleat their approval ? I doubt it.

Any attracting has to sound like and when it happens naturally to be most effective.

We have been trying for a 5x5 BT that has been hanging out there. As mentioned I use the can-call sparingly as I know it should not sound like a deer party. If (rarely) I use them in conjunction the can call comes a few minutes before I tease the rattle bag. I also go days without any kind of calling because there is a good chance he has associated the sound of the rattle bag (and can calls) with my presense. No point in using the rattle bag at this point. Also the reason I am learning to use my own vocals instead of the can call. In hind sight I don't think my rattle bag would fool a buck to begin with and now it's likely my signature sound. I need to get some real bone in there. Solid plan or no?

boxhitch
11-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Sounds reasonable , but I don't know BT as well as WT or MD. Are they aggressive breeders like WT or more laid back like interior MD ? Maybe aggression isn't the best plan ?

steepNdeep
11-18-2015, 10:43 AM
I made a little rattle bag years ago - cut some wood dowels of varying diameters & lengths - max. ~9". Put them in a sock & tied a knot.

I've used them for whiteys & muleys. I've called in quite a few bucks with it (more than w/ real antlers) - mostly whiteys (which seem more like blacktails in their terrain & habits). For muleys, I've had better success just raking trees with a branch & have killed a 5x5 in my trailcam areas this way.

caddisguy
11-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Sounds reasonable , but I don't know BT as well as WT or MD. Are they aggressive breeders like WT or more laid back like interior MD ? Maybe aggression isn't the best plan ?

My understanding of rattling BT's (admittedly none of which is first had experience but rather extensive reading) is that it attracts BT's with several different motives. Motive #1 (chance to breed) is that if a buck hears two others fighting, he thinks he might be able to sneak in while they are distracted and tend to any does they might be fighting over. Motive #2 (aggression) is the king of the hill hears a couple guys fighting for turf that is already his. Motive #3 (curiosity) some bucks just want to check out what's going on. I read that some will even just stand around and watch the action, even stomp around a little bit.