PDA

View Full Version : Eberlestock pack opinions

Fish Nutz
11-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Thinking of trying out an eberlestock pack for next year. I like the idea of having the central rifle scabbard. Curious about their mid-range packs. Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

warnniklz
11-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Been rocking the Dragonfly J107M the last two seasons... and this year. I can't say they're terrible packs. But if I were to do it again I'd probably invest in a kifaru or stone glacier. Haven't tried either... but haven't heard any complaints.

todbartell
11-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Eberlestock makes a good pack. The Elk Pack, JustOne J34 & DragonFly J107 both are proven and can haul big loads. The X1 pack and GunRunner are daypack size, with the scabbard built in

mike-juliet
11-17-2015, 12:08 AM
I've had a Just one since 2012, I have very mixed feelings about the pack. I hunt with a heavy rifle, having the scabbard when on steep mountain hunts to me is invaluable. Pocket access could be better when the pack is cinched down, but due to the design of the pack, this isn't possible. The large pocket on the pack lid is accessible when wearing the pack with a little bit of creative reaching. and it holds enough quick access stuff that I can live with the lack of other accessible external pockets. My one gripe is the load hauling, again due to the very modular design this pack lacks a solid meat shelf or bottom floor, the main cinch straps on the external of the pack does a very good job securing the weight close to your back, but it has the tendency to ride down like you are wearing a very full diaper on your back. Now the other negative that I have noticed revolves around the scabbard. having the rifle between your back and the load creates the tendency to be less comfortable or stable, since you cannot suck the weight up against the frame, and the frame against your back. The other gripe regarding the scabbard is that it is offset, which means that if the scabbard is empty, or the bladder is empty and the other full (Bladder pocket is next to the scabbard) you get uneven pressure on your back and unbalanced weight. Hard to fix these issues as they directly conflict with the main features of this pack. I will continue to use mine until I can justify a Mystery Ranch or Kifaru(Neither of which I have personally used)

In Short, would I buy another one? Yes. The scabbard is worth the inconvenient pocket access, and sometimes uncomfortable balance if the bladder is empty. The load hauling though is my only real complaint, if a solid meat shelf could be integrated to keep the weight high up in the middle of your torso it would be a game changer.

Tīɡ
11-17-2015, 12:17 AM
I've been running the JP9 blue widow this season with the add-on scabbard (it has a sleeve for it) and i can definitely say that it would be alot nicer to have the pack specifically designed with an integral scabbard instead of an add on b/c when I run my scabbard it eats up internal space and pushes against my back a fair bit. So if I were to do it again with eberlestock I would go with a JustOne J34 or a DragonFly J107. I find that my pack is good for anything about 65ish pounds but anything more than that is pure HELL! They just simply don't have the rigidity and capability to be a heavy freighter. So if that's what you're looking for then go Kifaru. My bro got the Kifaru DT1 and it absolutely OUTCLASSES my eberlestock. After one year with my blue widow and after packing out my entire field dressed muley buck and gear (100+ lbs) for 4.3kms in it I'm looking to replace it with a kifaru.

Goreaxe
11-17-2015, 12:26 AM
I bought the j107 dragonfly last year. It's been a great pack for me but I haven't carried more than 60lb tho. As a heads up, camofire has had these packs on for really cheap lately.

Lone Goat Creek
11-17-2015, 12:58 AM
I purchased the Warhammer w/ Intex II Frame coming into this season. Ultimately, I went this route for the total modularity of the entire pack system; and I dislike hiking while carrying a rifle that isn't secured in place (at least while also wearing a pack), so add-on the scabbard sealed the deal. The Warhammer's Intex II frame is based off an Alice frame design, so I bought this pack for it potential load carrying ability. With my backpacking equipment (loaded into an add-on zip-in duffle), it's great, and that's all I know so far, as I haven't found my deer yet this season :-) But, with the Intex II frame, I am hoping to avoid the 'wet diaper' scenario described above.

TrickleCharger
11-17-2015, 08:50 AM
I have an Eberlestock Team Elk and it is solid and well built. However I seem to be having trouble getting it properly adjusted for fit so it gets a little uncomfortable after a few hours with 25+ pounds, moreso with heavier loads. The pack itself is also a little on the heavier side at 8-9 lbs, but quite sturdy to make up for cons of the extra weight. It has a meat shelf and gun scabbard and is well designed with lots of pockets and compartments. I can take my rifle in and out of the scabbard with the pack on with a bit of reaching, really like this feature. There is also front access (as well as top access) to the main compartment,also very handy. This model is notorious for squeaking noises from between the frame and webbing but can be fixed pretty easily by wrapping the frame in hockey tape. Whatever pack you go with I would recommend loading it up and testing before buying to make sure you can get a good comfortable fit.

Ought Six Ai
11-17-2015, 08:57 AM
i have an eberlestock x2 with a scabbard attached (scabbard sold separately). its a great day pack holds a bow well and scabbard is nice for rifle. i packed out an elk head and backstrap and it worked excellent.

7mmWSM
11-17-2015, 09:35 AM
I've had a J107, and the versatility is great. However this pack is not built to haul heavy loads comfortably. I've packed out some big loads with it, but only when I absolutely have to. The centre of weight is far too low and away from my centre of gravity. Not enough adjustability.

My favourite use of this pack is as a daypack on all day, long distance hunts where going back to camp to retrieve a packboard after you shoot an animal is a lot of extra work. In these cases it's worth putting up with the hassle of having to pack weight in an uncomfortable pack. On backpack trips I leave it at home.

I've packed out an entire quartered mule deer, elk quarters, and 3/4 of a goat (with cape). The goat killed the pack (straps ripped right out), but Eberlestock fixed it at their cost.

Xenomorph
11-17-2015, 10:24 AM
We have a number of Eberlestock packs in the lineup - 2x Mini-Me's for bird days, Team Elk as a day pack, J107M meat hauler and a Phantom. Build quality is good, no complaints there. I used the Phantom in the sand-box my last tour and put it through hell, still workable today. Matt-Jenkins hit some points nicely in his post above. The packing of a heavy load in meat, plus your gear can result in an unstable load. A proper meat shelf would be an improvement. Plus the scabbard being slid in between the main pack and the frame can make the whole system feel unstable when loaded. I've taken to using multiple utility straps to cinch everything down and shore up the load for packing out. Overall, I consider them a good pack and would buy another. I have no experience with Kifaru or MR to offer a comparison.

First thank you for your service, it is much appreciated. Second, in regards to the scabbard, is it possible to reattach it to the outside?

Xenomorph
11-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Are you thinking of if you're in a meat carry out situation to relocate the main scabbard to this lateral position? Thus working to remove the rifle and scabbard from contributing to an awkward load? Got me thinking now. The J107 would be a good candidate.

Precisely! I like the size and versatility for the day hunts, but if you get something it would be nice to have the flexibility of carrying meat out a little more "comfortably"

Stone Sheep Steve
11-17-2015, 12:59 PM
I've had a J107, and the versatility is great. However this pack is not built to haul heavy loads comfortably. I've packed out some big loads with it, but only when I absolutely have to. The centre of weight is far too low and away from my centre of gravity. Not enough adjustability.

My favourite use of this pack is as a daypack on all day, long distance hunts where going back to camp to retrieve a packboard after you shoot an animal is a lot of extra work. In these cases it's worth putting up with the hassle of having to pack weight in an uncomfortable pack. On backpack trips I leave it at home.

I've packed out an entire quartered mule deer, elk quarters, and 3/4 of a goat (with cape). The goat killed the pack (straps ripped right out), but Eberlestock fixed it at their cost.

I also own a J107 and agree. At best i's a great day pack and possibly an over-nighter but the heavy loads of packing your gear plus an animal are best left to something with a larger frame.

I also like the pack for bow hunting and it's a narrow profile and I can pack my own back-up when chasing bears.

Rob
11-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Had the J107 as well, used it for a few years then sold it, great weekend warrior pack but I found it doesn't handle heavy loads very well. had about 90 lbs coming off a mountain from a sheep hunt and had to lean forward to compensate for the load, felt like someone behind me was pulling on the pack. Have a kifaru now and don't mind the gun bearer option for carrying the gun when you want your hands free. Its double the cost of the 107 but I think overall it's worth it.

Rob

J_T
11-17-2015, 01:59 PM
I've used the Dragonfly for probably 4 years. It took me a bit to get it set up right for my body. In the end, I think I found it just a bit too big. So it depends on what sort of hunt you are going to use it for. This year I went to the Team Elk pack and I love it. A much narrower profile makes it just a bit easier to keep quiet in heavy brush.

steepNdeep
11-17-2015, 05:41 PM
A decade ago I bought a Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly, cause I wanted the internal scabbard for hunting on my dirtbike.

PROS - The packs are veritile, bombproof, the scabbard is great & they will hold more than I can carry.

CONS - As other mentioned, the gap for the scabbard/camelback keeps the the main compartment load too far from your back & the load sits low on your back. I actually fell over backwards while resting packing my last muley out. lol

It's a decent overall pack, but you slightly compromise it's load carrying for the special features. I still choose it over my Lowe mountaineering pack for multiday hunting expeditions & it's hauled out several elk & muleys...

Fish Nutz
11-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone for all your opinions, lots to think about now.

RiverRunner
11-17-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm 6'1"….my brother lent me a X1 daypack with the scabbard. Just seemed too short of a frame for me. Seemed heavy too. Maybe if I ordered a set of the large shoulder straps it would be better.
Warriors and Wonders in Vancouver has a great selection of Eberlestock.

I use a Mystery Ranch pack with a kifaru gun bearer now. It's heavy too. If I could do it again I think I would go with a Exo Mountain pack and gun bearer.

Brian011
11-18-2015, 08:29 AM
I have a j107 and used it to pack out a sheep and a deer this year. I think overall it's a good pack, I had about 100 lbs on my back for a couple km's and it held up fine, I don't think 100lbs is comfortable in any pack. I do like the scabbard in certain situations but the one thing I don't like is that when your gun is in the scabbard you can't sit down with the pack on your back, you have to take your pack off every time before sitting. I find that a bit of a pain.
Otherwise I think it's a good pack and has lots of space along with the spike duffel bag you can zip on.

steepNdeep
11-18-2015, 10:21 AM
I do like the scabbard in certain situations but the one thing I don't like is that when your gun is in the scabbard you can't sit down with the pack on your back, you have to take your pack off every time before sitting. I find that a bit of a pain.

I found that if you tuck the bottom of the scabbard up & put your rifle in butt first, it works fine. I started doing that on my bike & just leave it like that:
http://fluidstudios.tv/1-pack-b.jpg

the sentencer
11-18-2015, 08:09 PM
I've owned this pack for about 5 years and hauled out about half a dozen mule deer with it. I think it's excellent. If you get the spike camp duffel bag its greatly helps to throw all your light stuff into if your heading into the mountains for a week. For me it's done everything I want it to. When your hauling 100lbs on your back for 8km no pack is going to feel great.

OutWest
11-18-2015, 08:56 PM
My partners and I all used Eberlestock's for a few years and packed out a number of deer, moose and elk. Like a few have said, they make good daypacks or overnighters but are not built well for heavy loads. They can handle them but comfort is low. The straps (both shoulders and waist) hurt like hell under stress and the weight tends to shift around a lot. I will say the scabbard is a feature I miss from time to time.

2 of us made the switch to the Tatonka Lastenkraxe and I will never look back. We have hauled some seriously heavy loads and been quite comfortable given the weight. I have used all sorts of packs/frames (first was a Trapper Nelson hand-me-down from my dad) and this is hands down the most comfortable and durable to date. 1 of our guys made the switch to a Kuiu and has not been impressed. Both sides of the frame snapped this year while hauling out an elk only a few km. Made the short jaunt quite uncomfortable. Think he will be switching to a Tatonka after that experience.

one-shot-wonder
11-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Same as O.W. The Eberlestock has been retired to day hikes and checking trail cams. The scabbard is great and convenient, but it's sloppy on the back under load and the straps can really tear into a guy.

Another very satisfied Tatonka owner. This is my go to pack frame. Added a Kifaru gun holster and it is a pleasure to hike with. Loaded or not.

Thunderstix
11-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Someone might have already said it, but now the J107 is available with the Intex II semi-external frame (with sort of a shelf), but it seems like they aren't in Canada yet.

Thunderstix
11-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Same as O.W. The Eberlestock has been retired to day hikes and checking trail cams. The scabbard is great and convenient, but it's sloppy on the back under load and the straps can really tear into a guy.

Another very satisfied Tatonka owner. This is my go to pack frame. Added a Kifaru gun holster and it is a pleasure to hike with. Loaded or not.

The Tatonka set up you have is exactly what I use. Been using the Kifaru Gunbearer for about 12 years and will never go back to a shoulder strap. I have even made 5 of my own to give friends, but just buy them now.

Skull Hunter
11-19-2015, 08:53 PM
I've got the J107 as well. I use it as my primary day pack. I like that it compacts pretty nicely, but still gives you the option to open it up and haul quite a bit with. I've used it to haul both moose and caribou quarters and it's been just fine. I don't find myself using the gun scabbard for my rifle, but as another has said I tuck in the bottom portion and keep my spotting scope/tripod in there so it's easy to access.

I wouldn't recommend the J107 as a multi-day tripper into the back country, I just find it's not set up to haul much gear + meat comfortably.

troutseeker
11-19-2015, 09:17 PM
I had a J107, just kille me with a heavy load. I now use an MR6500 nad it is way better for carrying a load. I do have an X1 for a day pack, as lonng as not overloaded it's ok.

Murder
11-19-2015, 11:39 PM
J107 killed me until I spent some time learning how to properly fit a pack. Any pack sucks if you don't set it up proper. Weight should be on your hips, use lift loaders to pull up off your shoulders etc. J107 is a heavy pack but appears bomb proof. I've used it two seasons but haven't put an animal in it yet as the 3 deer I've harvested using it, they were close enough or uphill from the truck to drag so I can't say how she packs a load. I am by nature way over prepared on any hunt, so typically have it loaded to the nuts and it carries well. I've almost gone over backwards on some steep climbs but any pack can do that. Again, get it fitted right! Eberlestock makes great packs and Grouse River has them on sale usually for boxing day. I got the dragonfly for $299 with free shipping. Can't beat that

Mike

Salty
11-20-2015, 10:03 PM
I've got the X2 as well which is basically a big day pack but with internal steel frame and a fold down fabric L shape that turns it into a bit of a packboard. I think it weighs 5 lbs its very well built no complaints. I've had loads of probably 60 lbs in it and its comfortable would take a fair bit more easily.. think its rated for 100.

https://www.eberlestock.com/Site%20Additions/Product%20Page%20New/X2/POST/X2-Main.jpg

https://www.eberlestock.com/X2%20Pack.htm

rollingrock
11-21-2015, 10:58 AM
After having tried different expensive packs, I'm now only carrying my wife's grocery shopping bag. :mrgreen:

swampthing
11-22-2015, 08:14 AM
I had a 107 for years and packed a lot of meat in it. I have never missed a meat shelf and think its a great pack for stuffing meat into. I carried an entire mulie out about 4 km a couple weeks ago. The 4 quarters with bone in, the backstraps and rack had it stretched out out to the max. These packs aren't very comfortable with over 100lbs. They do have a LOT of adjustability but are hard to adjust. You really need to play with it for a proper fit. I bought a kuiu 5200 pro. This pack carries weight effortlessly but is lousy for carrying meat. I attached an eberlestock gun scabbard to it but it didn't work very well. It sat home this fall and the 107 did all the heavy work. As said they make a heavy but great daypack to. I have used mine for up to 5 day trips and packed goats off the mountain.