PDA

View Full Version : foreign hunters

walks with deer
11-16-2015, 10:53 PM
A lot of negative on Chinese hunters lately.

I have friends that are Asian and hunt bye the rules but I will tell you there is a lot of dirty play here I agree call them all in let cos sort them.

Gateholio
11-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Let's get something straight right now. If people want to have a productive thread regarding how best to deal with new immigrants with different attitudes about wildlife and ESL hunting in BC, then have at it. If you just want to bash Chinese hunters, forget it. You will be getting HBC vacations for racist comments.

The problem of Asians often having different attitudes towards fish and wildlife is a very real one, I've been witnessing it my whole life with both fish and wildlife.

Good suggestions are welcome, non productive racist bashing is not. The idea of calling Cos every time you see an Asuan person is preposterous, racist and will be completely ineffective.

walks with deer
11-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Not looking for negative I have ethical Chinese friends. .
just seen a new influcts of hunters most of them in sea to ski corridor.to be honest.. curious of thoughts and acts witnessed.

IslandBC
11-16-2015, 11:22 PM
The more hunters we have here in BC the stronger our hunting community will be.

walks with deer
11-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Island NC yes and no..

2005 found my uncle and brothe in law in Christian valley Nov and tagged out.
fast forward 2012 my buddy sees a nice bull elk in this spot and harvest a big whitey.
fall of 2013 finds wife and I there to hunt whitetail close calls but no success close call with a skunk.
Found many turkeys and there roost. (Closed season)
Spring 2014 found me looking for these birds found 20 eastern European'style with semi auto 22 huntil private land nobody has permission for drunk as skunks.
all I saying is many immigrants don't respesCT the litem populations and need education. .

SAVAGEONE
11-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Apart from Aboriginals we all are or originate from immigrants, so instead of critisizing let's help new hunters to conform to the legal rules. when I came to this country 50 years ago and started hunting I have seen and heard things being done by all cultures that would bee frowned upon today.:roll:

walks with deer
11-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Agreed old residents used to shoit what they saw.
I personally watch my herds year round... good to now where who lives.

cassiarkid
11-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Walks with Deer, your posts are very hard to read, is English your second language? Pls take the time to proof read your posts so that they make sense to the rest of us, it only takes a minute.

walks with deer
11-17-2015, 12:04 AM
Jelvis taught me sorry...

Yes English is my second language.

BgBlkDg
11-17-2015, 05:45 AM
During my 59+ active bush years, I have witnessed many unethical and destructive behaviours by so-called *hunters* as well as anglers, skiers, backpackers and mountain bikers plus *quadders* and *sledders*. Some, were *old stock* Canadians, some immigrants, some aboriginals and some new immigrants.

The problem is best addressed by constantly lobbying for proper funding of the environment agencies, more COs and sound educational practices in our schools. This MIGHT actually produce results which would benefit all hunters, etc.

MB_Boy
11-17-2015, 05:48 AM
Island NC yes and no..

2005 found my uncle and brothe in law in Christian valley Nov and tagged out.
fast forward 2012 my buddy sees a nice bull elk in this spot and harvest a big whitey.
fall of 2013 finds wife and I there to hunt whitetail close calls but no success close call with a skunk.
Found many turkeys and there roost. (Closed season)
Spring 2014 found me looking for these birds found 20 eastern European'style with semi auto 22 huntil private land nobody has permission for drunk as skunks.
all I saying is many immigrants don't respesCT the litem populations and need education. .

What is the significance of this post and how does it pertain to newer immigrant or Chinese hunters in BC???

Amphibious
11-17-2015, 06:00 AM
Apart from Aboriginals we all are or originate from immigrants

sick of this shit. The "aboriginals" we're immigrants too, they were just the first immigrants.

Ride Red
11-17-2015, 07:21 AM
During my 59+ active bush years, I have witnessed many unethical and destructive behaviours by so-called *hunters* as well as anglers, skiers, backpackers and mountain bikers plus *quadders* and *sledders*. Some, were *old stock* Canadians, some immigrants, some aboriginals and some new immigrants.

The problem is best addressed by constantly lobbying for proper funding of the environment agencies, more COs and sound educational practices in our schools. This MIGHT actually produce results which would benefit all hunters, etc.

Exactly. Without funding for enforcement and real imposed laws, nothing will change. I don't care what race you are; there are good and bad in all.

Wentrot
11-17-2015, 08:28 AM
sick of this shit. The "aboriginals" we're immigrants too, they were just the first immigrants.

Beat me to it.

rides bike to work
11-17-2015, 08:48 AM
What about the Mexicans

they put salsa on there eggs.

Thats just not canadian

OOBuck
11-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Only first hand experence I have is fishing, I have caught a certain type of "immigrant" pulling crab traps of mine and warn them that I would send them swimming if I caught them again. I have seen the same "immigrants" end up at the dock with a Scotty fish tub full of 10" cod and bottom fish, all the while the volunteer fish nazi was giving him shit. "I doenta speeka engrush"

Next personal involvement was taking a fisherys officer fishing on my boat and not realizing what he did for a living, while coming in to the dock again witnessing a rental boat full of "immigrants" pulling crab trap I said. "I dont want to sound racist but I see this type of behaviour all the time from these certain immigrants" He then responds and tell me the majority of reports he get on his desk usally are attributed to individuals of that nationality, this is when I found out he was a fisherys officer, good thing I played by the book!! Sad but it seems the rules are not followed by a certain group..

J_T
11-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Good suggestions are welcome, non productive racist bashing is not. The idea of calling Cos every time you see an Asuan person is preposterous, racist and will be completely ineffective. Are the wildlife Act, hunting synopsis and fishing regulations produced in Mandarin and Cantonese? Might help if the rules are laid down clearly.

OOBuck
11-17-2015, 09:25 AM
There's TWO official languages in Canada that stir enought s--t all ready we DONT need anymore

Vladimir Poutine
11-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Let's get something straight right now. If people want to have a productive thread regarding how best to deal with new immigrants with different attitudes about wildlife and ESL hunting in BC, then have at it. If you just want to bash Chinese hunters, forget it. You will be getting HBC vacations for racist comments.

The problem of Asians often having different attitudes towards fish and wildlife is a very real one, I've been witnessing it my whole life with both fish and wildlife.

Good suggestions are welcome, non productive racist bashing is not. The idea of calling Cos every time you see an Asuan person is preposterous, racist and will be completely ineffective.

Thank you for that Gatehouse. Well put.

russm86
11-17-2015, 09:49 AM
There's TWO official languages in Canada that stir enought s--t all ready we DONT need anymore

Agreed. When my moms ancestors moved to Canada only a couple generations ago (dads side has been here a long time) they had to prove they could speak, read, and understand English fluently before they were allowed entrance into the country, why don't they do this now? I think it should be a minimum requirement to be able to speak one of the official languages of the country you are/will be living in, for these exact reasons. Like how long till someone commits murder and gets away with it because they say they can't read/understand the criminal code of Canada because it's not written in Cantonese or mandarin or hindi or whatever...

VLD43
11-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Walks with Deer
Your question or observation has more to do with ethical hunters versus non ethical hunters than race. Race is just a distraction in all of this. If you see someone doing something illegal or unethical, it is you responsability to report it to a CO. Pictures or documentation also helps. Either way, be a good example, keep your eyes open, and protect and nurture the resource you have the good fortune to use. Good hunting

speycaster
11-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Our CO here was timed out in October and there was no one local to call unless it is an emergency. Cos had to come from over the mountain to the East. Most hunters around here seem to know the rules , except for the white guys who left all the guts and fur in black plastic garbage bags at a campground up the North Fork. Nice way to attract bears to an area.

skibum
11-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Should have titled the thread - Non-White Hunters

Foreigners are not allowed to hunt the general open season.

TrickleCharger
11-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Could the instructor selection process and the testing itself be made tougher for the CORE and FAC courses? I mean to pass the CORE you think you'd have to figure out how to make sense out of the regulations. It seems to me that anybody that shows up is going to pass either of these courses, maybe it should be a little tougher instead of just taking the cash and handing the certificates out. I don't know what the answer is for someone who can't read the regs because of a language barrier but maybe sending them on their way with their licence isn't it. And I don't care what colour you are this should be a requirement for everybody. From my experience there aren't many aboriginals out there that have done these courses.

Iron Glove
11-17-2015, 12:07 PM

Well said Dewey.
I'd suggest that one's exposure to the race / colour / creed of unethical hunters is primarily due to the area one is in. The LML obviously has a higher % of Asian hunters than any other area of BC ergo more alleged unethicals will be Asian. Head off to the Interior and said unethicals are likely to be "European."
So far the only unethicals I've run into at this end of the Valley were "European" and one American, all fishing where / when they were not allowed to.
Without a doubt, more $$ need to be invested in CO's but none of the Provincial Parties have done so and are unlikely to do so. I'd be more than happy to pay $10 more per year for my hunting and fishing liscences if that money was earmarked for hiring more CO's.

J_T
11-17-2015, 12:38 PM
There's TWO official languages in Canada that stir enought s--t all ready we DONT need anymore No, we don't need any more 'official' languages. Fact is, we only need one. That's not the point. The point is, what solutions might we be able to find, that start to address a perceived problem.

We all know, different parts of the world live under different ethics. I think it's about creating awareness, and education. Communication. And communication in one's own tongue is the best, most logical solution. When we talk to toddlers, do we talk to them like we do adults? (OK, don't answer that. Some adults require toddler dialogue). My point is, perhaps these so called violators, aren't completely aware of the rules, of the violation and of the 'required' ethic to which the rest of you live.

Xenomorph
11-17-2015, 12:39 PM
I'd be more than happy to pay $10 more per year for my hunting and fishing liscences if that money was earmarked for hiring more CO's.

Some very solid points being made here, and I agree, I'd rather pay more to increase hunter education, conservation efforts and wildlife research. If hunting class and exam would be like in Germany, I'd hazard to guess 1/4 of hunters would not be getting their license.

11-17-2015, 12:54 PM
The only "hunters" I've seen that I've been embarrassed to share the title with have been white.

Drillbit
11-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Some very solid points being made here, and I agree, I'd rather pay more to increase hunter education, conservation efforts and wildlife research. If hunting class and exam would be like in Germany, I'd hazard to guess 1/4 of hunters would not be getting their license.

It should be part of the Provincial school curriculum. Every province should have it.

Or at least be an elective class, using the CORE manual as the textbook.

If done right it could be a very rewarding and educational class for students and everybody would gain from it.

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 01:18 PM

x2.......
Some ethnicities of the boat so to speak do carry a different perception of wildlife, and in a way, less respect
for conservation based on their heritage...
A friend, who is Vietnamese, has always been interested in hunting/fishing since heis been here.
But, his past life back home is....shoot everything that walks or swims...
It's just how things are in other parts of the world.
Some Eastern Europeans that have just come over, don't seem to care about the "quota" rule, where it applies
to how much fish or game you can take.
Probably driven from the fact that if you can get your hands on it back, you take it.
Also, a lifestyle that they have experienced
Than there is the whole "medicinal" aspect of wildlife parts, and the poaching for money.
For some, BC is a golden opportunity of riches, and they don't see that BC is an opportunity of enjoyment and lifestyle.
All this being said, there are some long time BC Residents, who also still don't get it, and continually
take game out of season or illegally.
Hell, we heard a shot close by, as 5 of us were hunting the same hillside, and one of us had a quad and went over to
check it out, as none of us had shot.
There was a doe, dead, partially gutted, and left!
Obviously the shooter, didn't have a doe tag, got scared upon a quad approaching, and left the deer to rot!!
Worst, there are 3 other full bone carcasses of doe deer also laying in the same area close by...
Just writing this last part has me boiling.
And than there are the stewards of the land...yes many do play ethically inside their boundaries, and other could give
2 s***s.
So, bad apples everywhere, and yes some ethnicities have a different attitude about wildlife and why we pursue them.
Only more CO's and a more stringent course is needed, especially on the conservation aspects, and what happens
in other parts of the world when they are not followed.
And "no" ESL for these courses...learn the language, than learn the traditions.
It only takes a few "bad apples" to ruin the opportunities for everyone, and that's the scary part,
for us hunter/fisher and let's not forget the wildlife, that is always affected by our actions.

aggiehunter
11-17-2015, 01:25 PM
savageone, so you feel that aboriginals originated here?

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Well said Dewey.
I'd suggest that one's exposure to the race / colour / creed of unethical hunters is primarily due to the area one is in. The LML obviously has a higher % of Asian hunters than any other area of BC ergo more alleged unethicals will be Asian. Head off to the Interior and said unethicals are likely to be "European."
So far the only unethicals I've run into at this end of the Valley were "European" and one American, all fishing where / when they were not allowed to.
Without a doubt, more $$ need to be invested in CO's but none of the Provincial Parties have done so and are unlikely to do so. I'd be more than happy to pay $10 more per year for my hunting and fishing liscences if that money was earmarked for hiring more CO's.

Almost $5.00 from every resident hunting license sold in the past year has been given to a certain guiding association over the past while.

Maybe we should be insisting that our money be spent in the right places instead of just offering up more money. Foreign concept for a Liberal to grasp, I know, but think about it for a bit.

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Almost $5.00 from every resident hunting license sold in the past year has been given to a certain guiding association over the past while.

Maybe we should be insisting that our money be spent in the right places instead of just offering up more money. Foreign concept for a Liberal to grasp, I know, but think about it for a bit.

Didn't know that...these threads are good for something...thanks

Iron Glove
11-17-2015, 02:31 PM

Well FD, remember that you were one of the Liberal's Fan Boys during the last Provincial election, not me. ;-)
Yes, spend the $$ in the "right places" is an obvious thing, regardless of one's politics but I'd still be willing to pony up a few extra $$ if the $$ were spent increasing the ranks of the CO service. I don't mind paying a bit more for better results, that's why I enjoy the steaks at Hys while you patronize the Golden Arch. :smile:
My 2016 Fishing & Hunting liscences will be a lot cheaper as I'll be eligible for the Decrepit Old Man Discount. I'd just as soon pay the same as you kids if the $$ went to the CO Service.

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 03:10 PM
Well FD, remember that you were one of the Liberal's Fan Boys during the last Provincial election, not me. ;-)
Yes, spend the $$ in the "right places" is an obvious thing, regardless of one's politics but I'd still be willing to pony up a few extra $$ if the $$ were spent increasing the ranks of the CO service. I don't mind paying a bit more for better results, that's why I enjoy the steaks at Hys while you patronize the Golden Arch. :smile:
My 2016 Fishing & Hunting liscences will be a lot cheaper as I'll be eligible for the Decrepit Old Man Discount. I'd just as soon pay the same as you kids if the $$ went to the CO Service.

I don't have a problem with an "old fart" paying less...lol.
Most retired people don't have a large income, so I am good with that, they deserve a break..IMO
It also doesn't matter what party gets in, not in my experience.
Yes, the NDP did throw some money into the CO departments back in the 90's somewhere, but,
they sure didn't do enough either, and not one party has done what is needed!
As another thread stated, wildlife is not important, atleast not on a daily basis, just during PR stories and pics.
What is needed, is 1 minister, no matter to me what party, that takes the bull by the horns and revamp everything.
Make the money go to where it belongs, make biologist make the right decisions on their regions, and disregard public
pressure in order to make sound long term strategies that work.

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2015, 03:17 PM
It also doesn't matter what party gets in, not in my experience.
Yes, the NDP did throw some money into the CO departments back in the 90's somewhere, but,
they sure didn't do enough either, and not one party has done what is needed!

The NDP cut over 400 jobs from the MoE in 1996, I believe, and slashed the budget for the MoE and COS down to peanuts.

Agreed - all those fkers were born in the same barn, IMO!

Xenomorph
11-17-2015, 03:58 PM

Nothing wrong with grandpa rates, you sir have paid enough into what this country has become, it's time for us to pick up the tab.

Agreed - all those fkers were born in the same barn, IMO!

Why don't we do more? We should meet, talk, lobby things up. Get some of us in the party and change things from within. It's either with tremendous pressure or from within that things will change. We need our voice to be clearer, concise and louder.

Gateholio
11-17-2015, 05:34 PM
There is Precedence for multiple languages already....I've seen quite a few signs with fishing regulations posted in multiple languages.

I don't know if we have to go to the expense of printing multi language regulations, but it would be great to have it online available for download. Key points regarding conservation and Canadian values regarding wildlife can also be added.

I also think having some CO's that speak Cantonese would be an asset, especially around the LML.

Bugle M In
11-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Maybe an online "Cultural Difference" online as well, so as new comers might take the time to realize what is
expected and tolerated here.
That being said, the poaching of animal parts hasn't stopped due to public pressure and trying to give those other
cultures a different viewpoint.
The only thing that puts a dent into it is "enforcement", and even at that, the courts "mock" the whole concept.
ie. the Dougan case...
If that is how the wildlife is going to be protected (since, they themselves can't talk...lol), than both legal hunters,
and wildlife have an uphill road.
As for courses, as another poster said, in Germany, they make it a hell of a lot tougher.
The Ministry needs to recognize this new scenario of "new cultures" taking up hunting in BC, and need to introduce
something into the CORE Course to the effect that it recognizes the issues do exist, and more should be done.

OOBuck
11-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Ingnorance of the law is not an excuse.. Let me put it to you this way Jim would you go hunting in the US without fully understanding what is legal,,, I would hope expect NOT so what this shits are up to with the
language as a possible excuse is plain & simple BS!!

OOBuck
11-18-2015, 08:14 AM
There is Precedence for multiple languages already....I've seen quite a few signs with fishing regulations posted in multiple languages.

I don't know if we have to go to the expense of printing multi language regulations, but it would be great to have it online available for download. Key points regarding conservation and Canadian values regarding wildlife can also be added.

I also think having some CO's that speak Cantonese would be an asset, especially around the LML.

How about if ya don't spekada language ya aren't able to hunt!!! Works for me

J_T
11-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Ingnorance of the law is not an excuse.. Let me put it to you this way Jim would you go hunting in the US without fully understanding what is legal,,, I would hope expect NOT so what this shits are up to with the
language as a possible excuse is plain & simple BS!!I agree, one must know the laws of the activity they are undertaking. But that is because of my background. I believe that general rule. Like you do. I'm not making excuses for anyone. I'm simply in line with the original few posts, we have a problem, how do we fix it? And yes, speaking English 'could' be a solution. However in my experience a "demand seeking compliance" approach, seldom works. Again, just like we are working with FN to instill an understanding of conservation and the need for hunting seasons, sharing information and educating is likely going to yield better results.

Deer_Slayer
11-18-2015, 09:32 AM
As for "Chinese" or other ethnic people getting into hunting. They all take the core course. They either have an interpreter or someone who helps them understand the regulations and hunting ethics, before they even buy a license. These people are not stupid. They know full well the rules and regulations and they laugh at them. As for being racist? I'm sick of being called a racist for being honest. I am married to an Asian woman. I have half Asian kids. You telling me this dimwit didn't know it was illegal to have thirteen deer and one moose in his vehicle? You think these pricks don't know it is illegal to shoot a bear and hack off its feet and take its gall bladder. This is NOT racism. Look up the definition of racism before using it against people. this called "BEING PISSED OFF".

OOBuck
11-18-2015, 09:34 AM
I agree, one must know the laws of the activity they are undertaking. But that is because of my background. I believe that general rule. Like you do. I'm not making excuses for anyone. I'm simply in line with the original few posts, we have a problem, how do we fix it? And yes, speaking English 'could' be a solution. However in my experience a "demand seeking compliance" approach, seldom works. Again, just like we are working with FN to instill an understanding of conservation and the need for hunting seasons, sharing information and educating is likely going to yield better results.

This attitude of political correctness is exactly what got us to this point. FN put on their pants like us one leg at a time and its about time in this country we have one law for all, the FN preferential treatment
has to end,,, FIRST my A$$! As for other nationalities speak the language and play by the rules in ENGLISH OR FRENCH or F/O!!

J_T
11-18-2015, 10:31 AM
^^ I'm not sure I see anything in this thread that is socially or politically correct. I'm not sure where you are seeing that. Just a frank discussion between fellow hunters. Honesty doesn't hurt.

OOBuck
11-18-2015, 10:42 AM
^^ I'm not sure I see anything in this thread that is socially or politically correct. I'm not sure where you are seeing that. Just a frank discussion between fellow hunters. Honesty doesn't hurt.

Why make an exception then Jim, learn to speak f--kin english or french learn to play by the rules or F/O!!!

What next because one nationality drives on the worng side of the road we should make an exception for them, makes about as much sense! I can just see it now OH f--k look out he's must be from Europe driving on that side!!! HEE HAW!!!

ONE COUNTRY ONE LAW

wideopenthrottle
11-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Why make an exception then Jim, learn to speak f--kin english or french learn to play by the rules or F/O!!!

What next because one nationality drives on the worng side of the road we should make an exception for them, makes about as much sense! I can just see it now OH f--k look out he's must be from Europe driving on that side!!! HEE HAW!!!

ONE COUNTRY ONE LAW

not to be picky but Europe drives on the same side as north America...it is only the brits (and aussies and japs and maybe a middle east country or two) that drive on the wrong side

buck400
11-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Not looking for negative I have ethical Chinese friends. .
just seen a new influcts of hunters most of them in sea to ski corridor.to be honest.. curious of thoughts and acts witnessed.
Well a couple days ago I was hunting I spoke to an Asian gentlemen seem very nice he did not see anything he said and it was up for a couple days as I was traveling with my quad through the trails I came across some disturb snow didn't pay mind to it and kept on going when I came back something caught my eye so I got off my quad and walk to it what I was about to see you was disturbing to me as a hunter ethically it was a big three by three trying to get up on two legs with the back legs laying on the ground someone had shot it but did not kill it scared I waited for another hunter to drive by as my witness and we shot call the Co that we found this deer we got it with permission Co showed up the next day major CI investigation where are the animal is coming from where it was laying down even Geiger counter the area for search of the bullet went back to the deer ran the Geiger counter over the deer then proceeded to find the bullet for there was no exit wound manage to find the bullet the one that a quad tracks and footprints were easily identified by this time there was five cos there to questioning the individual at hand close to the area the man was Asian completely denied everything until they brought the bullet to him grab one of his bullets and grab his gun and gave him $1,050 ticket plus he will be standing in front of a judge for further prosecution and Discovery Channel was there as well doing a documentary on poaching I also seen on the vedder and the Fraser River Asian people bagging salmon and bring it up to their vehicle and then grabbing another bag empty I believe this is the way they are as human beings but I don't think all of them are bad there's many whites and natives that do wrong to that I witness up there Indian shooting more deer then they should from not there regine used the co again this is all in reg 3 so I always keep an eye out whoever's in the bush with me and I take down license plates when I do drive by on

BgBlkDg
11-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Many immigrants, DO abuse our fish and game laws and I have seen more of this from some ethnic groups than from some others.

BUT, the FOCUS must be on a major increase to enforcement by funding the COs and other F&G issues properly, or, this will be dismissed as *racism* and nothing will be done.

This issue should be dealt with in a manner totally separate from the immigration problem although they are in some respects related and this will mitigate the whinging about *racism* which might help to make improvements happen.

tuner
11-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Many immigrants, DO abuse our fish and game laws and I have seen more of this from some ethnic groups than from some others.

BUT, the FOCUS must be on a major increase to enforcement by funding the COs and other F&G issues properly, or, this will be dismissed as *racism* and nothing will be done.

This issue should be dealt with in a manner totally separate from the immigration problem although they are in some respects related and this will mitigate the whinging about *racism* which might help to make improvements happen.
I can't believe how measured and reasonable your responses have been of late, you've been the picture of understated calm. Pleasantly surprised :-)