PDA

View Full Version : Short Drive, 6 bears, one wolf, none down.

rollingrock
05-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Took a look at weather forecast, perfect weather perfect temp. So I decided to take a short drive this evening. Saw the first blackie right after I got on logging road. Measured him/her with my eyes, errr, too small. Let go. But shot him/her with my camera. Then saw another one, solo, still too small, but the fur was shiny though. So couple of seconds of hesitation..... the little one sensed the danger and took off.

Carried on. Turned corner, saw a dark brown big a$$ moving. That was a big a$$ though. 400 yards ahead. I spat the cigarette out which was just lit, shut the engine off, took the rifle out, loaded and started stalking. The big a$$ was a smart a$$ actually. He must have smelled, heard or seen me. But he didn't run, instead he casually walked into the bush beside the road. I was still 200 yards away. I walked to the spot where he disappeared, jumped into the bush, then moved real slow. Since I just did my annual hearing test, I was confident that any movement would be caught by my ears. Nothing. And I was a little nervous, cuz this was a big guy. No fun to piss him off up close. So I moved back onto the road. Kept my ear open for another minute. I believed that he must have been gone.

So I started walking back towards my trucks. About half way back, I sensed something and turned around. That big SOB got back on the road and was crossing the road! He still didn't run, but he was quick enough not to give me any chance to take a shot, and he was walking broadside! The other side of the road was a cliff with not much cover underneath. So I thought it should be easy to spot him again. So I stalked back. By the time I got to the spot, I found that the cover was actually quite mean, it was dark inside. To my surprise I never heard any twig broken, it was dead quiet inside the cover. The big a$$ just disappeared? I knew he was just in there and probably watching me. We both were getting ready for each other. I chose to back off. I looked at my watch, it was dinner time. I've got to admit that I am a chicken, but I really don't want to be his dinner.

The rest of the trip I saw the other three small guys. All ran like rabbits, no shot taken. But the cool thing was I saw a huge wolf. Very very cool. Not too bad overall.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF0092.JPG

LeverActionJunkie
05-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Sonds like a good evening out, things are really starting to pick up out there :)

ianwuzhere
05-11-2007, 07:02 AM
looks like u know where your going this weekend. Good story and pic- keep em coming.

Phil
05-11-2007, 07:33 AM
I wish I had seen that many on my last two trips out. Well done!

model88
05-11-2007, 07:57 AM
All in all sounds like a great evening.

Derp
05-11-2007, 08:17 AM
good job! is that mundy park in port moody? :lol:

rollingrock
05-11-2007, 08:49 AM
good job! is that mundy park in port moody? :lol:

No. That was in front of city hall. :lol::lol:

BearSniper
05-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Good trip:smile:.

I think you could have had that Bear. If you sensed him walking behind you across the road, then you had your "feelers" working overtime.

I'm curious, about the Wolf. Were you still in region 2 north of the Fraser?

Or were you further up country? Want to get me a Wolf this year.8)

Steeleco
05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
You need not go that far for Wolves. I've seen them crossing the road right at the West gate of Manning, a BIG black dude!!!

rollingrock
05-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Talking abotu wolves. I was stalked by a pack of three last season while deer hunting. That was in Squamish. Sneaky SOBs! Like David said, you really don't need to go far! But they're hard to get.

Elkhound
05-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Go back for the big guy.............they sure move quietly eh?

Gunner
05-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I also went up the hill behind the house last night,looking for bears.Saw 3,all in nice shape,but too small.Saw a half dozen mulies as well,and several blue grouse.Unfortunately on the way back down the front pump seal on the F-350 tranny went,and now I'm grounded!It's been towed to the tranny hospital,and the bears are safe from me,for a while! Gunner:frown:

Derp
05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Talking abotu wolves. I was stalked by a pack of three last season while deer hunting. That was in Squamish. Sneaky SOBs! Like David said, you really don't need to go far! But they're hard to get.

Wolves would be easier to hunt if they stalked you in that area, just go back there and rub yourself with bacon grease before the hunt to attract them, (i hope thats not baiting:lol: )