PDA

View Full Version : Mulie protecting his doe?

morphiend
11-16-2015, 08:07 PM
Hi guys

I'm really new to hunting so if what I'm asking here is obviously wrong or stupid I'm blaming it on ignorance right out of the gate.

I was hiking through a clear cut and spotted a doe. She just stood there staring at me for several minutes, so I just stared back through my bino's. After a couple minutes I started looking around just in case she had any bucks with her and sure enough not more than 10 feet away from her was a buck. I couldn't tell how many points he had so I slowly tried to get my scope on him. Right as I lined him up he bolted down the clear cut. Being the first buck I have ever seen through my scope my adrenaline was flowing. After I lost sight of the buck I returned my attention to the doe who had not really moved. After a few more minutes of looking around for any more bucks, I was about to start hiking again and happened to take a look below me down the cut and saw the buck was coming towards me! I put my bino's on him and quickly realized he was only a 3 pointer. He kept coming towards me till he was about 40 yards from me then turned and started walking back up the cut towards the doe. He stopped directly in front of me, not more than 30 yards away giving me what would have been the perfect shot had he been legal. Eventually he continued back up to where the doe was, hung out looking at me for a few minutes then the two of them sauntered down through the cut.

It was almost like he was trying to draw me away at first to protect the doe then when that didn't work he tried to challenge me. Does that seem out to lunch?

whognu
11-16-2015, 08:14 PM
ah, that magical time of year when bucks look for love

depending on where you are, we are nearing the height of the muley rut when any buck worth his salt loses all his inhibitions and sensibilities and is led around by his second brain

he was simply looking to drive off the intruder (you) so he could continue the courtship

whognu

Rayne
11-16-2015, 08:17 PM
He's rutting and isn't thinking clearly. This is when the big boys slip up and end up in the freezer

landphil
11-16-2015, 08:23 PM
ah, that magical time of year when bucks look for love

depending on where you are, we are nearing the height of the muley rut when any buck worth his salt loses all his inhibitions and sensibilities and is led around by his second brain

he was simply looking to drive off the intruder (you) so he could continue the courtship

whognu

Or he had a twinkle in his eye that went unnoticed. LOL

whognu
11-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Or he had a twinkle in his eye that went unnoticed. LOL

unrequited love........didn't see that coming

coach
11-16-2015, 08:28 PM
He definitely wanted to breed with you.. :smile:

morphiend
11-16-2015, 08:35 PM
wow that escalated quickly....ha ha ha

coach
11-16-2015, 08:37 PM
wow that escalated quickly....ha ha ha

LMAO!! Mule deer can get pretty curious during the rut - especially the young ones.