PDA

View Full Version : My Very first year, my very first buck.

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Hey Guys

First of all, just want to thank all the veterans who's help guide me to this point. This was my first year at this, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Finally I have something to contribute, and look forward to becoming a veteran one day to help newbies like me.

So for the longest time, I've wanted to hunt. Not sure where it came from as none of my family/friends hunt. Last fall, finally took the courses and got myself certified for this year. Was so eager to hunt, I started back in September and would take weekend trips to interior (mainly region 3). Hunted even more in October in both region 2 and 3 but very very little success. Barely seen any deers, and what little I saw were all does, never a buck. I was determined not to let this get me down as an all doe population does not make sense (but at times, I was almost convinced). endless hiking and driving, nothing nothing nothing.

So October came and went with nothing to show for but the km's on my truck. Last weekend, I made one last ditch effort and decided to head to the island (north of Nanaimo) for a buck/anterless hunt. The anterless was in spot regions and was shot only. When I got there, i soon realized the anterless hunt was not much fun and went for the bucks. I was there for 4 days total. I was scheduled to catch a 10:30am ferry back to Vancouver on Tuesday. So Tuesday 6:00am hunt was my last chance. I thought that I've spent too much time on hunting and mentally packed it in for the season. Started to console myself about this being my first year and such. But on tuesday morning, I found an area with LOTS of signs. i got so excited I went back to our motel and begged my wife to stay one more day, she agreed. tuesday afternoon/night, nothing... Wednesday morning comes, 6am, 7am, 8am... nothing nothing nothing. I started to console myself again, and thought perhaps i could make the 10:30am ferry if i packed it in quickly. At least I can enjoy a nice rememberence day relaxing at home.

So after my hike, I packed my truck, bid farewell to the new hunting ground I discovered and got ready to go pick up my wife and kids from motel. I did not pack away my gun as I thought i still had about 2 km's of FSR to drive back. So 500 meter before I reached the paved road (which would have signaled the end of my season), there it was, I saw this buck walking into the thick forest. I stopped my car about 10m ahead of where he entered the thick forest. i stopped my car, loaded my rifle and ran towards the area where i saw him enter. I saw nothing. All I can remember is what I read about Sitka, that they are ghosts of the forest. I started feeling down about it now and was about to turn back to my truck when I heard *Crack*. Branch breaking.... I perked up again, looked closer and closer, and found a brush opening that peered in about 30 meters into the forest. There, it was, it was his body. I took the shot and saw only the ear flutter down. I was shaking at this point and couldn't think clearly, I wasn't sure if it was him going down or running down. after what seemed like an eternity, I got myself ready for possible disappointment. Within the last 5 mins of my hunt of the year, within the last km of my hunt of the year, I got him, I did it. 4 pointer sitka black tail.

Thx for listening guys. It was everything I thought it would be. I can call myself a hunter now!

http://i.imgur.com/NTPB5zM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/S2ST9rk.jpg

wideopenthrottle
11-16-2015, 02:20 PM
wow...let me the first to congratulate you for the persistence you showed..good on ya

Philcott
11-16-2015, 02:21 PM
I have to say that makes for a great ending to your first year. Beautiful thick Island blacktail antlers. Great coloring on them too.

May I be so bold as to suggest you at least get a European mount for that one. That will be a nice rack to look back on as the years go by.

northernbc
11-16-2015, 02:26 PM
good perserverance, good shooting and good wife.really nice looking deer

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Thx!! Phil, I'm already on it!

http://i.imgur.com/ccD55yR.jpg

steepNdeep
11-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Congrats on your first! Enjoy your hard earned meat. Nice thick bone on him too...
http://i.imgur.com/S2ST9rk.jpg

coach
11-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Great first buck! Well done. I bet you're already counting the days till next season.

Midland
11-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Wow, horseshoe or what, Nice first Columbian Black-Tailed Deer!

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Thank you!
Once the season started, it felt like thoughts of hunting consumed me mentally every minute of everyday. To be honest, I'm pretty glad that it's over with and looking forward to not having to carry this load mentally. It's an interesting feeling (being so mentally consumed by this), but am glad it's over with. That being said, I know the urge will come back sooner then next season lol. Maybe just in time for the spring bears.

11-16-2015, 02:52 PM
That is a cranker man! you wont be soon to beat that one!
and ya,, its a Columbian "Ghost of the forest!" but wow man!

The Hermit
11-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Beauty deer... are you boiling that skull in the motel? I hope so otherwise your wife won't be so supportive next year! LOL That Smell!

Blainer
11-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Great buck! Great share!

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 03:07 PM
hey I stand corrected, it's a Columbian Black-Tail Deer!

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 03:09 PM
hmm... nope. Was going to do it outside in my backyard but i was too lazy to find by propane burner. That's in my kitchen. It wasnt so bad as the flesh didn't go bad. But picking out the bring is something nasty.

dougan
11-16-2015, 03:15 PM
You are a lucky guy 20 years I have yet to get a 4 point

11-16-2015, 03:18 PM
You are a lucky guy 20 years I have yet to get a 4 point

30 for me and none yet,,, does that mean we suck? lol

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that Dougan and 835. I respect seasoned hunters a lot and would offer this experience to you if I could. My goal was just a freezer deer.
I feel I worked hard enough to earn a deer this season, but I know this 4 pointer is luck. The experience was just okay...

JK, it felt F***** great!

black mountain
11-16-2015, 03:25 PM
great buck. cool story

11-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Hey bud, dont be sorry! just be proud! lol i can take it! been doin it long enough i got used to it! lol.....

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Thx 835, I'll savor this without reservation

wideopenthrottle
11-16-2015, 03:43 PM
30 for me and none yet,,, does that mean we suck? lol

are you talking about a BT 4x4 not including MD 4x4?

11-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Island Blacktail...... i have done pretty good on the Mulies....
Island deer are a bit more..... crafty

wideopenthrottle
11-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Island Blacktail...... i have done pretty good on the Mulies....
Island deer are a bit more..... crafty
gotcha...that definitely seems to be the consensus...heheheh

HarryToolips
11-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Fantastic first buck, congrats!!

M.Dean
11-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Now that's why you don't quit hunting until the wheels hit the pavement! And good for you for not getting frustrated and down on your self and giving up, which lots of guys do! And if that's not a "Last second Buck", I sure don't know what is! Congrats on a fine looks animal! And thanks for sharing this unreal hunt with us!

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Thank you very much Dean! It's an emotional rollar coaster, and them deers just don't care about your feelings.

11-16-2015, 04:16 PM
when the "roller coaster" stops its time to stop hunting!
i had my wife out this weekend,,, in a spot i hunt alot... i wanted to hunt a certain direction but the wind was wrong.... so we went "plan B"..... after our hunt we ran into a couple guys hunting the same spot.. they would have never known we were there... they hunted where i was going to go and shot a real dandy Fork with Brows....... Had a real nice chat with the guy, who seemed quite excited about his deer! and so he should.. it was a great buck!

thing is,,, you win some and you loose some.... keep on keepin' on... and eventually it becomes your turn to win!

Salty
11-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Nice buck Cosmo! That's crazy good for your first as far as island blacktail go the gods have smiled upon you congratulations. Not taking away from your perseverance it sounds like you wanted it and went right at it way to go. ;)

RoscoeP
11-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Beauty deer, nice going.

nazarow
11-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Congrats. Way to hang in there. Sounds like my first deer last year....except I had to wait until my second season.

miner_luke
11-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Congrats on that buck! Never mind a first buck that is a beauty blacktail for anybody!

Edited to add: careful, Blacktail deer can be addicting! ;)

epicZERO74
11-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Congrats on the first of many! Always great to see new hunter getting it done!

Downwind
11-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Well you're screwed now! That is one hell of a blacktail! Congrats on your perseverance. Hunting can be one of the most frustrating things at times (especially blacktails). Even though you say you're glad it's over it will only be few weeks and you'll wish you can go again lol

hoochie
11-16-2015, 06:17 PM
wicked!
good job man!!

Red_Mist
11-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Nice mass on those antlers. They look thick !

.264winmag
11-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Yup that's a heck of a blacktail any day, let alone a first animal! Congrats on your success, way to keep at it. Welcome to the life:)

morphiend
11-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Congrats Cosmonewt! As a new hunter myself who has not yet harvested a deer this is an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing!

M.Dean
11-16-2015, 08:01 PM
I always tell people on a hunting trip, or even a LEH draw, "Hunt the last day with the same expectations as you did the first day!", and did you ever prove me right! Congrats!

kennyj
11-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Wow!! Thats one heck of a first buck. Congratulations.
kenny

Cosmonewt
11-16-2015, 10:07 PM
Thank you everyone for the congrats! This community is pretty awsome.

Jelvis
11-16-2015, 11:22 PM
That's a skookum blacktail buck, real strong buck and polished dark brown tines.
Gorgeous buck especially a first is amazing hunter.
Jel -- way to go buck hunter -- thanks for the great read

fozzy
11-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Outstanding first buck!! Congrats!
I'm in the same boat as 835, I've seen big bucks on the island but yet to shoot one better than a fork.

avadad
11-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Crazy good first blacktail, congrats!

Whonnock Boy
11-17-2015, 12:04 AM
Beauty Island buck. Congrats on your first buck.

Now, I don't want to get jumped on, nor am I accusing you of anything, but the way you worded your story sounds like you saw a body in the trees and shot, assuming it was the deer/buck you saw on the road. If, and I stress if, this is the way it went down, that could very well have been a doe the buck was crossing the road for. :) I understand how excitement can get the best of us, but just keep that in mind. IF you confirmed it was a buck, nothing to read here. ;)

EDIT*** I assumed you made a move from the antlerless area, to a buck only area. If it was open season for both, fire away.

hunter1947
11-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Thats a dandy columbian deer for sure for you first one ,,thanks for the pictures and your story,,congrats to you..

Cosmonewt
11-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Hey Whonnock,
I hear your concern and you rightfully pointed that out. What I did not say is that i SAW those antlers as he walked in. You'll have to forgive me but it all occured so quickly, and that my memory seems a bit cloudy. But I DO recall that i saw his antlers just as he walked into the thick forest which contributed to the surge of adrenaline I felt at the time. I knew he had multiple points but I wasn't sure how many. In thinking back, I could have identified the animal better when I pulled the trigger, but I was pretty sure it was a buck in my scope. It did occur to me after that he could have been chasing a doe. Thank you for pointing this out however, it's ingrained in me to do a better job checking before pulling the trigger. I'll put a new salt lick under my deer shrine tonight to appease the deer gods.

TrickleCharger
11-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Awesome deer Cosmo, and on your first season too congrats!!

Beauty Island buck. Congrats on your first buck.

Now, I don't want to get jumped on, nor am I accusing you of anything, but the way you worded your story sounds like you saw a body in the trees and shot, assuming it was the deer/buck you saw on the road. If, and I stress if, this is the way it went down, that could very well have been a doe the buck was crossing the road for. :) I understand how excitement can get the best of us, but just keep that in mind. IF you confirmed it was a buck, nothing to read here. ;)

EDIT*** I assumed you made a move from the antlerless area, to a buck only area. If it was open season for both, fire away.

Why pick the guy's story apart like this? Why not assume he was acting ethically and responsibly and the wording was just vague? If you are that concerned why not send him a private message instead of calling him out in public? If you have to start with "I don't want to get jumped on for this..." maybe stop typing.

Whonnock Boy
11-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Hey Whonnock,
I hear your concern and you rightfully pointed that out. What I did not say is that i SAW those antlers as he walked in. You'll have to forgive me but it all occured so quickly, and that my memory seems a bit cloudy. But I DO recall that i saw his antlers just as he walked into the thick forest which contributed to the surge of adrenaline I felt at the time. I knew he had multiple points but I wasn't sure how many. In thinking back, I could have identified the animal better when I pulled the trigger, but I was pretty sure it was a buck in my scope. It did occur to me after that he could have been chasing a doe. Thank you for pointing this out however, it's ingrained in me to do a better job checking before pulling the trigger. I'll put a new salt lick under my deer shrine tonight to appease the deer gods.

It all worked out for the best. Learn from it, which it sounds like you already have, and once again, cranker bt.

Why pick the guy's story apart like this? Why not assume he was acting ethically and responsibly and the wording was just vague? If you are that concerned why not send him a private message instead of calling him out in public? If you have to start with "I don't want to get jumped on for this..." maybe stop typing.

GFYS..... I did my very best to get my point across without picking the story apart, and I saw something that could have turned out a lot worse than what actually did. We are all here to learn and share, and this is an instance, there are many new hunters that could have a lesson or two in this department.

Jelvis
11-17-2015, 09:41 AM
It's the seeing the buck and feeling the rush and keeping the faculties together like Cos did.
For a first deer like this beauty blacktail buck your going to get a little disturbed lol.
Cos did everything right and safe, as well as a good shot.
I've been in some similar situations when I had to trust my senses and bush judgement among the bushes. After spotting the buck and I get the safety off, and once you take your eyes off the target and need to find again. This is common among hunters when coming face to face with a buck deer. Do like Cos and believe in your self as far as seeing, hearing and follow up. Cos heard a twig break and looked and saw, which is a very good skill to acquire.
Nice blacktail buck with a fine story, hey cos, you did good.
Jel -- A buck like that is hard to stumble upon -- he was rutting for sure --

TrickleCharger
11-17-2015, 10:23 AM
It all worked out for the best. Learn from it, which it sounds like you already have, and once again, cranker bt.

GFYS..... I did my very best to get my point across without picking the story apart, and I saw something that could have turned out a lot worse than what actually did. We are all here to learn and share, and this is an instance, there are many new hunters that could have a lesson or two in this department.

Could have done without the "GFYS", but I guess some guys get pretty aggressive on their keyboards. His response sounds to me like he knew exactly what he was shooting but instead of just telling you to "GFYS" he decided to go the non confrontational route and thank you for your input. Anyways I'm sure your "lesson" here has helped many people, give yourself a big pat on the back. Sorry to derail the thread I'm done.

Xenomorph
11-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Any Sitka are good bucks, good kills, good experiences ...good tasting meat. Congrats on an awesome buck. It's not a four point, it's a 2x3 but that doesn't take anything from the awesome experience :)

Could have done without the "GFYS", but I guess some guys get pretty aggressive on their keyboards. His response sounds to me like he knew exactly what he was shooting but instead of just telling you to "GFYS" he decided to go the non confrontational route and thank you for your input. Anyways I'm sure your "lesson" here has helped many people, give yourself a big pat on the back. Sorry to derail the thread I'm done.

Gave me a good chuckle, thanks bud.

wideopenthrottle
11-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Any Sitka are good bucks, good kills, good experiences ...good tasting meat. Congrats on an awesome buck. It's not a four point, it's a 2x3 but that doesn't take anything from the awesome experience :)

Gave me a good chuckle, thanks bud.

time for new glasses it is a 3x4

smallfry14
11-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Nice buck!! Best meat you can get for the family.

11-17-2015, 11:10 AM

you need glasses too!!! its a 3x4 with Brows! lol.... Sorry man i had to!
Still a lovely buck!

Whonnock Boy
11-17-2015, 11:13 AM
In thinking back, I could have identified the animal better when I pulled the trigger, but I was pretty sure it was a buck in my scope. It did occur to me after that he could have been chasing a doe. Thank you for pointing this out however, it's ingrained in me to do a better job checking before pulling the trigger. I'll put a new salt lick under my deer shrine tonight to appease the deer gods.

Sounds to me like he was not 100%, he was "pretty sure". I did my very best to come across as not being judgmental, and I believe I did a pretty good job of it. The OP responded in kind, and that would have been the end of it. But no, you had to comment that I pretty much should keep my mouth shut. Maybe you should take a bit of your own advice, and let things play out, which they did, and there would have been zero issues.

wideopenthrottle
11-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Still a lovely buck!
yes...to be honest, I did not see the brow tine(s) but I wouldn't have counted them anyway on a BT/MD (like it says to not count them in the regs)

Xenomorph
11-17-2015, 11:36 AM

Hey, be nice, I'm not being facetious or anything, from what I know that's a 2x3, the small splits don't count under 1". Correct me if I am wrong.

Still a lovely buck!

Lovely buck indeed. Again, without trying to hijack the thread, if this is a 3x4, what is this then?

http://i64.tinypic.com/3584fbd.jpg

Because I was told and I am agreeing with the under 1". Mine's a solid 3x3 instead of 5x5 :)

Anyway OP, awesome hunt, awesome shot, buck. You name it

11-17-2015, 11:39 AM
dont do it!!! ..lol.. this thread is in full hyjack!

5x3 with brows... as long as the one point is 1" it may be a 4x3 with brows....

wideopenthrottle
11-17-2015, 11:54 AM
I would have guessed those to be 1"...glad to have another look at it ..now I see more...heheheh looks like we need to order a case of glasses for the group....heheheh

Thunderstix
11-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Really great job!! I too love the dark colouring.

11-17-2015, 12:15 PM
I would have guessed those to be 1"...glad to have another look at it ..now I see more...heheheh looks like we need to order a case of glasses for the group....heheheh

yep lol... and dont worry .. i GFYS'ed last night

Xenomorph
11-17-2015, 12:23 PM

I think it's my big hands, big knobs for fingers. I didn't put a damn tape to the split, but then again I could care less if he was a spiker, meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer. Good shot, awesome buck.

wideopenthrottle
11-17-2015, 12:34 PM
I think it's my big hands, big knobs for fingers. I didn't put a damn tape to the split, but then again I could care less if he was a spiker, meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer. Good shot, awesome buck.

ahhh you are cosmonewts parent so you have seen it up close..ok..semantics aside they are large enough great looking enough and character enough to be proud of the rest of your life

300H&H
11-17-2015, 08:28 PM
hmm... nope. Was going to do it outside in my backyard but i was too lazy to find by propane burner. That's in my kitchen. It wasnt so bad as the flesh didn't go bad. But picking out the bring is something nasty.

Congratulations Eric, I'm glad you got around to posting the story. That is a great buck !!!
Maybe next year you can make it here and I will meet you for a hunt.
Spring bear starts in 4 1/2 months.

Just a trick I use to clean out the skull...loosen everything in side then use a pressure washer, but not your own. Go to the car wash early in the morning or late at night.

Cosmonewt
11-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Thank you Tom! I would lie that very much! Yep them spring bears are in my scope this spring. I'd love to hunt with amother fellow hunter so let's keep in touch until then.

I never thought about power wash. What a great idea. I'd think the pressure would damage tho? Sure you can adjust the pressure and such but it's such a fine line between a clean scrape or a scrape on the surface . I managed to get mine cleaned up and now just gotta white it and make a board to frame it on. Thx for the idea tho, something to think about for the next one.

Also all this talk about points. I'm happiest about the fact that my freezer is full of meat for my family. I would've been crazy happy about a spiker but I got a 3x4. I'm fortunate and am greatful for this. Nothing else above that matters.

11-18-2015, 09:20 AM
i think the pressure would blow out the nasal cavity bones,,, so id watch out for that... and dont hold the wand too close..