PDA

View Full Version : Question...3x2 Mule Deer with Three Does

GoodPartner
11-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Ran into a 3 x 2 mule deer today with 3 does. He ran down hill with the does then we ran into him again trying to circle back to get up the hill. He was very focused on getting up the hill when we found him again. I think he would have walked right over us. I am wondering if those does are his now or might there be a bigger buck keeping an eye on them from a safe unseen place? Would another buck stand for him being so close to the does at this point? This was about 11:00 am. Should we have stayed in the area hoping to see a bigger buck in the evening or moved on? Is it worth it to go back to that area again soon? Curious what others would have done.

Thanks.

Rayne
11-14-2015, 08:35 PM
The little guys are rutting now the big guys will be another week or so. There's probably a bigger buck around but he won't show yet. Most does still aren't in heat yet

hare_assassin
11-14-2015, 08:52 PM
The trick is to kill the dinks so there are a dozen lonesome does drawing in the big boys. That's how I'm playing it, this season so far. A bit late for that strategy now, though.

~T-BONE~
11-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Keep on the ladies the three maybe took advantage of your presence as there's a good chance u pushed big daddy into cover!?

OutWest
11-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Bunch of does have already come into heat by now and been bred. It's not all the big boys doing the breeding.

Jedcote50
11-14-2015, 09:22 PM
The does will play "hard to get" if there's something better hanging around or if they're just not ready yet, but they'll settle for small "dink" if that's all that's available. Once the does are really receptive and a dominant buck is in the area the little guys are more cautious and often pushed aside. However keep in mind a ratio of 1 big buck for every 10 - 15 does is the optimum management formula however that's rarely achieved, so the 3 yr old 2-3 point may be the cream of the crop available.

walks with deer
11-14-2015, 09:31 PM
Good partner where you in a white dodge?

OutWest
11-14-2015, 09:53 PM
The does will play "hard to get" if there's something better hanging around or if they're just not ready yet, but they'll settle for small "dink" if that's all that's available. Once the does are really receptive and a dominant buck is in the area the little guys are more cautious and often pushed aside. However keep in mind a ratio of 1 big buck for every 10 - 15 does is the optimum management formula however that's rarely achieved, so the 3 yr old 2-3 point may be the cream of the crop available.

Does control the rut but in no way "settle" for a small dink. If they're hot and a small buck is dogging her, chances are he breeds her. Happens all the time, way more than most hunters think. Small buck does not necessarily= bad genes as genetics are the same for life and are acquired from both parents.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Especially given the prevalence of dinks compared to Loueys, the big guys just can't be everywhere there's a doe in heat. There's a high probability that there was no bigger buck watching from a distance. As for keeping with the three does, there is certainly a chance that one may might draw a good buck to the group, but don't put your eggs all in that basket. There are lots of other groups of does that are 3, 4, 5 or better strong. Lots of competition for attracting the few good bucks that are around.

takla1
11-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Good partner where you in a white dodge?

hey K how you doing?
Just in had a couple close calls with a 4 by WT yesterday /then a 3x3 mulie walked 20 yds of me this morning hot on 2 Mulie doe's ,4 point only..
Split cause -8 comeing...ughh

GoodPartner
11-15-2015, 08:57 AM
No I don't drive a white dodge.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Much appreciated.

Fisher-Dude
11-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Does control the rut but in no way "settle" for a small dink. If they're hot and a small buck is dogging her, chances are he breeds her. Happens all the time, way more than most hunters think. Small buck does not necessarily= bad genes as genetics are the same for life and are acquired from both parents.

The correct answer.

All they need is a sperm supply.

Ourea
11-15-2015, 11:30 AM

Being a selective MD hunter I have watched some pretty interesting things play out during the rut.

358mag and I watched 3 bucks dogging a doe that was obviously in estrous.
She would have nothing to do with 2 of the bucks.
The third buck she obviously had a fancy for.

She would walk over and bed beside him, lifting her tail repeatedly and stare at him.
She did this several times as the 2 other bucks maintained their annoying presence.

Would have been interesting to watch this play out a bit more but 358mag put a bullet in him.

When the rut is on most mature bucks are not sitting back.
We have watched breeders come into a group of does giving them a quick run and sniff.
Nothing in estrous they leave as quickly as they came.
Seen it countless times.
No estrous....no interest.

Younger bucks will stick around and follow does during the rut when they are not in heat.
Bull elk are no different.

Fisher-Dude
11-15-2015, 02:08 PM
^^^ I think you two were witnessing this in Slack's, and dreaming about hunting after too many pops.