PDA

View Full Version : Silver Creek Squatters in 2-2?

caddisguy
11-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Noticed for the last few months at least 4 groups seem to have taken up permanent residence along Silver Creek in 2-2.

Two of the groups actually gated off the paths that lead into the campsites... one with a makeshift wooden gate and the other with a metal gate.

The others are just trailers that have been parked there for months. I saw the RCMP talking to one (the one before Silver Lake) but I suspect it was because the trailer was sticking out part way into the road... lots of garbage all over too.

Isn't this where the CO's or RCMP should be stepping in? If they were actually "camping" fine, but keep it clean... they all seem like slobs who have taken up permanent residence though... been a few months now.

WesHarm
11-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Hey Caddis,
Turns out if you fight it the RCMP or anyone else can do nothing what so ever unless you leave it unattended for a long period.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/abbotsford-homeless-court-ruling-1.3281875

so that could have just been their "well now it's legal" price of paper they can wave to tell the cops they can't make them move...... Really sucks, but makes me want to do it myself a little ;) ahaha though the gates etc would have to be taken down from my understanding....

SPEYMAN
11-14-2015, 11:08 PM
Report it to Forestry. Camping for a 14 day period on Crown Land.

caddisguy
11-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Hey Caddis,
Turns out if you fight it the RCMP or anyone else can do nothing what so ever unless you leave it unattended for a long period.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/abbotsford-homeless-court-ruling-1.3281875

so that could have just been their "well now it's legal" price of paper they can wave to tell the cops they can't make them move...... Really sucks, but makes me want to do it myself a little ;) ahaha though the gates etc would have to be taken down from my understanding....

Sounds pretty good! Forget this this mortgage and property tax thing when I can just have my own trailer and garbage dump in the bush. Endless wood supply too. Time for caddisguy to retire!! In all seriousness it wouldn't be so bad if they respected the land and weren't messing up some good camp spots :)

Good to hear from you Wesharm!

howa1500
11-14-2015, 11:48 PM
Is this the road down to Ross lake you are talking about?

caddisguy
11-14-2015, 11:51 PM
Is this the road down to Ross lake you are talking about?

That's the one. Getting bad out that way... worse each year :(

pinofire
11-15-2015, 09:17 AM
There was a group up near Carolina mine too a few months ago. even had signs telling there useless friends how to get there

WesHarm
11-15-2015, 07:23 PM
Hey Caddis, bought a Mazda... But I have my rifle finally lol! Guessing the roads down there are too bad for me to get to now eh? Haha gunna have to steal the Xterra when my dad gets back to Van!! See if I can't get out one last time close to home haha

Mulehahn
11-15-2015, 07:33 PM
The BCSC ruling in Abbotsford expressly says though,

"The evidence shows, however, that there is a legitimate need for people to shelter and rest during the day and no indoor shelter in which to do so. A minimally impairing response to balancing that need with the interests of other users of developed parks would be to allow overnight shelters to be erected in public spaces between 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. the following day."

Of the tents are up after 9 they can be charged. A trailer, I assume would have to be moved everyday between those times if it exceeds the 14 day rule. The problem is that the RCMP will only act when they have a complaint. If a person was out there often and saw a tent up after 9 they can file a complaint. Then do the same again and again. Eventually they will have to do something.

WesHarm
11-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Good point Mule!

kishman
11-15-2015, 07:38 PM
I've seen folks take up residence in that spot before, more than once over the years...

caddisguy
11-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Hey Caddis, bought a Mazda... But I have my rifle finally lol! Guessing the roads down there are too bad for me to get to now eh? Haha gunna have to steal the Xterra when my dad gets back to Van!! See if I can't get out one last time close to home haha

Hmm Mazda what? When I went in on Friday, there were drainages running across the road... 20M wide, 6-12inches deep. The angel on one side said "caddisguy, these roads might be done for the season and you might not get back out... don't do it" ... and the devil on the other side said "look caddisguy, worst case scenario is you have a valid excuse to not show up and work (as long as they dont find out is was looking bad BEFORE you went in and you KNEW better) and probably get a free helicopter ride to tim hortons in agassiz after an extra day or two of being stranded. You need to hunt"... so obviously proceeded.

As the rain poured down all night, I started second guessing myself. Maybe it was dumb. Woke up to snow. While starting my morning hunt, I could hear the odd vehicle in the distance. I was happy to hear them. Last year I spent 4 nights up there without hearing a single engine (other than the frequent airplanes above) because the road was 100% smooth slippy ice... would put any skating rink to shame. White knuckler all the way out... almost lost it down a hill once... was going like a bobsled.

On my way out yesterday, though the flooding did a little damage, it wasn't so bad. A little washout and some crap on the road... easily passable. Not much water flowing across anymore and probably none now. I saw little dinky cars, like honda civics and toyota corollas passed the crappy parts. Not saying said cars will still drive straight once they hit pavement... but they did make it in just fine. Depends how much you want to baby the suspension. Even in the jeep I still cringe thinking about all the future suspension work... wondering about those engine mounts and feeling more beat up from the drive than the hiking. Maybe I shouldn't drive 50-60/kmh through cratorville. Hard to steer with only one or two wheels on the ground at any given time anyway. I actually lost my spare tire at one point and had to drive back--luckily it wasn't too far--to get it. Tightened the heck out of it at the expense of my tailgate hinges... glad that didn't happen in the city or worse the highway... coulda caused an accident or hurt someone.

There were some boulders on the road from a slide so watch out for them if you're going when its still dark. Normally I'd try and tug them off or at least flag them but I honestly wasn't feeling too well... needed to get home. Done enough good deeds in that valley and I'm just one guy and need a day off once in a while. Hopefully someone else was able to fix it.

Get out there, take it slow. No rule that says you need to drive 35km deep either... heck you could try hunting up Sowerby... turn right before Silver Lake to Sowerby. Drive up a little if you're comfortable or just walk up a little ways and head into the timber and start looking for rubs/trails/etc.

Forget all that though... what kind of rifle did you get and did your girlfriend finally approve?

PS: If you're still in North Van... maybe worth checking out Pemberton? Isn't it just as close? Probably way better hunting.

caddisguy
11-15-2015, 07:49 PM
I've seen folks take up residence in that spot before, more than once over the years...

Now there's at least 4 permanent residence with trailers and a few of them figured they could just install gates into the spots too. Septic/soap/etc into the river I'm sure... firewood oh-plenty just pick a tree too.

Deer_Slayer
11-15-2015, 08:55 PM
I don't blame them. Just don't make a mess with garbage and don't interfere with peoples right to pass through. I will bet that none of them are Chinese. This is how we are being forced to live. only gona get worse when they decide they don't want "any" caucasians in greater Vancouver. Pretty obvious that is their goal.

caddisguy
11-15-2015, 09:05 PM
I don't blame them. Just don't make a mess with garbage and don't interfere with peoples right to pass through. I will bet that none of them are Chinese. This is how we are being forced to live. only gona get worse when they decide they don't want "any" caucasians in greater Vancouver. Pretty obvious that is their goal.

Don't care what race a person is, but not being scared to profile I'd peg them as meth addicts (scabs all over face, acting all twitchy) ... I agree with the part about if they aren't making a mess, but that's just not the case. They're lazy people making a mess. Would be nice to see some more upstanding squatters give them the boot! :)

WesHarm
11-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Silly little Mazda 3, yes the gf does approve!! Not coming along anytime soon, but let's me go out when I want!

Its a tikka t3 lite in 30-06, shoots like a dream and feels fantastic in my hands :D no critters yet, only been out on one three day hunt up north, saw a legal white tail, but by the time I had figured out to get out of my buddies truck get my rifle ready and had properly identified him.... He took off flagging into the bush haha

Good2bCanadian
11-16-2015, 03:10 PM
We found a makeshift travel trailer/cabin at the end of a dead end spur road up there.
All shot to shit and left to rot.
Friggin pigs