PDA

View Full Version : Good Sheep Hunting Tale - Freak Ram!!

Sylus
11-14-2015, 12:22 PM
This story was posted up on the Kuiu blog a couple days ago, I thought it was a good read and worth a share. I am not kidding when I say freak ram either!

http://blog.kuiu.com/2015/11/08/chugach-sheep-hunt/#sthash.Grd4q6tg.dpbs

Enjoy!

IronNoggin
11-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Definitely a Very Unique Ram Indeed!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Cheers,
Nog

wideopenthrottle
11-14-2015, 01:05 PM
what a warrior...great story and effort

Sylus
11-14-2015, 05:49 PM
I would very interested to know what made his horns like that.

kennyj
11-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Great story, very cool old ram.
Thanks for posting.
kenny

tuner
11-14-2015, 07:19 PM
The horn growth is probably an indication of some physical or physiological abnormality in the ram, maybe broken bones earlier in its life, hard to say.

Krico
11-14-2015, 08:00 PM
My guess is the ram suffered a skull injury early in life. I shot a ram with similar horn growth on one side, and when caped out you could see he had fractured his skull at one point. Horn growth stunted, then started again very heavy throughout. Here's a photo for comparison:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/fishmanning/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsl7gniwoz.jpg (http://s131.photobucket.com/user/fishmanning/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsl7gniwoz.jpg.html)

wiggy
11-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Yep broken horn or skull plate when their young. Seen a few wild ones. Some guides used to pass them up and leave them to get big and old and go through breeding. Also seen a few taken with some really thick almost mutant horns on one side and super long lambers on the other. Cool to look at

Moose63
11-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Yep broken horn or skull plate when their young. Seen a few wild ones. Some guides used to pass them up and leave them to get big and old and go through breeding. Also seen a few taken with some really thick almost mutant horns on one side and super long lambers on the other. Cool to look at

I think I would pass on it too...

Sylus
11-15-2015, 12:06 AM
I think I would pass on it too...

No way man!! So unique, a chance at something you could not really reasonably hope to encounter again.

My guess is the ram suffered a skull injury early in life. I shot a ram with similar horn growth on one side, and when caped out you could see he had fractured his skull at one point. Horn growth stunted, then started again very heavy throughout. Here's a photo for comparison:

Very interesting, thanks for the info... and beauty ram!

wiggy
11-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Not really; Ive seen a few and its actually quite common. Lots of Rams get their horns actually broken off. Seen some nice ones with one side dangling. Biggest sheep I ever hunted scored 194 Last time I EVER took someone near a hole. Most guys only spend a week or two if their lucky in sheep country. That isn't going to get it done on nothing but luck running into one. Im there now but ready to make a comeback. Kids 8 went on his first elk hunt this year. Pushed his bike up a goat trail for 8 k. Slept in the snow rain thunder lightning. Looks like the quest for Mr BIG is back on. Misses says its over. Things is lining up.
Hike in and see the sheep on the rutting grounds. See whats actually happening with the herd. Then hunt for the 1. That's what Mr Turner taught me. Changed my life lol.

Sylus
11-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Hike in and see the sheep on the rutting grounds. See whats actually happening with the herd. Then hunt for the 1. That's what Mr Turner taught me. Changed my life lol.

Very interesting stuff man. From the sounds of your last paragraph it sounds like you are more of a late season sheep hunter.

wiggy
11-16-2015, 10:06 PM
First week of the season and last 2