PDA

View Full Version : Starter Pistol

1/2 slam
11-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Does any one have one they would like to part with? I need to do some wok with my pup over the winter.

itsy bitsy xj
11-14-2015, 09:30 AM
You can get them at most army surplus stores. I think the one in Langley has them I know New West has them cnd tire might

ACB
11-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Does any one have one they would like to part with? I need to do some wok with my pup over the winter.
You might try starting with a cap gun before a starting pistol and hand clapping before that. Tom Dokken had a good article in Gun Dog magazine on the subject of gun conditioning a dog. One thing he did say is that if you screw this up it could be the one thing can't fix on your dog. Good luck with your dog with this, let us know how it turns out.

Foxton Gundogs
11-15-2015, 06:21 PM
cap gun for sure first start at feeding time when the pup has its nose in the dish. May want to transfer this thread to the dog section you may get more response

1/2 slam
11-16-2015, 09:53 PM
No issues with gun shyness...he's 16 months old. All that has been done This is simply training.

caves16
11-16-2015, 10:18 PM
I got a dummy launcher for my dog and it worked like a hot damn. From the get-go it was sound-reward in one step. It uses 22 blanks which are cheap and its really fun too.

ruger#1
11-17-2015, 03:05 AM
I got a dummy launcher for my dog and it worked like a hot damn. From the get-go it was sound-reward in one step. It uses 22 blanks which are cheap and its really fun too. Is it loud. I would like to get one. I have a starter pistol. I use the blackpowder blanks in it. It is very loud. And 22cal. I use it when I am at the farm. I can not use it where I live.