PDA

View Full Version : GPS advice/suggestions?

TThomsen
11-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Hey everyone looking for ideas/ suggestions on a GPS , what's everyone using pros/cons? Thanks TT

Ohwildwon
11-13-2015, 09:52 PM
iphone 6 + HuntBuddy App + Water proof case...:smile:

Ozone
11-13-2015, 10:37 PM
For in the bush I use a Garmin Etrex 30 with the Backroads mapbooks sdcard For on the road I use a different Garmin.

Steeleco
11-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Garmin all the way. I've had a 60 Csx for years and it still works great, the new units are in the 62 series. One comes pre-loaded with Canada Topo's bought one for my son for under $300 early this year.

REMINGTON JIM
11-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Got a GARMIN Montana 650 - Love it ! :smile: RJ

cm87
11-13-2015, 11:05 PM
I've got an etrex 20 which I mostly use for backpacking. It's been great! Small, light, awesome battery life.

Iltasyuko
11-14-2015, 07:44 AM
Garmin GPSmap 62S is a good one to look at. Like mine a lot.

nazarow
11-14-2015, 07:55 AM
I have the Garmin 60csx as well and have no complaints. Works great even in the thicker stuff and also takes two AA batteries which I find pretty convenient.

Stresd
11-14-2015, 08:07 AM
I've also have the 60csx that I bought about 10 years ago and has performed excellent. No real point for me to buy the the newer 62 or newest 64 series models as they don't really do much more than the old 60csx. Any one of those excellent models you can't go wrong with. Older used 60 and 62 series models can be found for quite a bit cheaper than the newest 64 series. GPS Central or GPS City (both in Alberty) have loads of info on all GPS units and are excellent place to purchase from.

Spec./feature comparision chart of the 60, 62, & 64 series garmins

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/gpsmap62seriescomparison.html

allan
11-14-2015, 08:25 AM
I use garmin rhino with backroads maps.

transplantednewf
11-14-2015, 08:25 AM
62S here as well for in the bush/hiking. Huntbuddy App and phone for other stuff

Gun Dog
11-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Garmin GPSMAP 60cx with the Backroads maps on an SD card (version 5). I like dedicated buttons. The newer Garmin 60 series support more colours (65,000 vs 256) so I assume there's more shading and texturing on the map.

goatdancer
11-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Garmin GPSMAP 62sc is great. Nice to have the camera feature along with the extra memory.

HarryToolips
11-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Hey everyone looking for ideas/ suggestions on a GPS , what's everyone using pros/cons? Thanks TT
Compass, sun and other old school methods...Cons: not as easy, more time consuming...Pros: more rewarding, makes you pay more attention to your surroundings, more cost effective, and far more reliable;)

REMINGTON JIM
11-14-2015, 11:50 PM
Compass, sun and other old school methods...Cons: not as easy, more time consuming...Pros: more rewarding, makes you pay more attention to your surroundings, more cost effective, and far more reliable;)

I like the map pictures and the camera ! ;) RJ

Gun Dog
11-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Compass, sun and other old school methods...Cons: not as easy, more time consuming...Pros: more rewarding, makes you pay more attention to your surroundings, more cost effective, and far more reliable;)Clearly you've never been stuck on the side of a mountain in the fog or dark.

brian
11-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Compass, sun and other old school methods...Cons: not as easy, more time consuming...Pros: more rewarding, makes you pay more attention to your surroundings, more cost effective, and far more reliable

I use my GPS as far more than a simple navigation tool. I use it as my primary note taker. I use it to mark all points of interest, track deer trails, mark potential ambush points so I can find them in the dark. Later at home I can download all the information onto maps on my computer and transfer the data to Google Earth. My hunting areas in Google Earth all have extensive maps built up. I can see exactly where I have been and what pockets I have unconsciously avoided. I can see exactly where I have seen deer, where I am more likely to have only heard deer but never seen them, or where I have killed deer. All this information is date and time stamped so I have a tremendous amount of data built up. I can then add information in Google Earth such as interesting terrain features I would like to check out and transfer that back to my GPS for use in the field. I would say my GPS is one of my most used hunting tools. I know my areas well enough to not need it for navigation but for these reasons I still find it invaluable. I would love to have one of the newer Garmin models that had photo capabilities that could also be stamped with date time and GPS location. That would be awesome!

HarryToolips
11-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Clearly you've never been stuck on the side of a mountain in the fog or dark.
Oh yes I have...in fact we used to do night recon patrols in the military....compasses still work in the fog and the dark, and because I paid more attention to my surroundings ie ridge lines creeks etc, I have always found my way out....Mind me as I probably sound like an ass, but I always in good fun try to convince people that using the old school methods of navigation should always be at least considered..

HarryToolips
11-15-2015, 05:25 PM
I use my GPS as far more than a simple navigation tool. I use it as my primary note taker. I use it to mark all points of interest, track deer trails, mark potential ambush points so I can find them in the dark. Later at home I can download all the information onto maps on my computer and transfer the data to Google Earth. My hunting areas in Google Earth all have extensive maps built up. I can see exactly where I have been and what pockets I have unconsciously avoided. I can see exactly where I have seen deer, where I am more likely to have only heard deer but never seen them, or where I have killed deer. All this information is date and time stamped so I have a tremendous amount of data built up. I can then add information in Google Earth such as interesting terrain features I would like to check out and transfer that back to my GPS for use in the field. I would say my GPS is one of my most used hunting tools. I know my areas well enough to not need it for navigation but for these reasons I still find it invaluable. I would love to have one of the newer Garmin models that had photo capabilities that could also be stamped with date time and GPS location. That would be awesome!
I totally agree, they can be an awesome tool, one of my best huntin buddies uses his the same way you do..in fact, a couple times I admit it woulda saved me time in finding my t cams out there, but I always have luckily found them.. I just advise people to know other methods of navigation as well..

TThomsen
11-22-2015, 01:35 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions , is anyone using a magellan device?

TSW
12-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Seems like it's a bit of a landslide...lots of people using th Garmin 60/62/64 series. Chalk up another one here. I've got the 64ST which is the one with the preloaded topo maps and have nothing but great things to say. It's got a few things the previous models didn't, most notably the GLONASS capability in addition to the GPS system.

Maggiemaebe
01-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Likely because Garmin is the only one that can use the BC back roads maps in electronic form. I've checked into DeLorme, etc. and they look to use free-ware type maps that may or may not be any good in areas outside the urban centres and almost require the use of a paired cell-phone - which is where most of us go!

wideopenthrottle
01-28-2016, 12:52 PM

not too sure about the "Cons: not as easy"...maybe it is just because mine is so slow but I find traversing way easier with a compass than a gps

New Bow Hunter
01-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Garmin Montana. Turn it in and carry it in my pack.

emerson
01-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Seems like it's a bit of a landslide...lots of people using th Garmin 60/62/64 series. Chalk up another one here. I've got the 64ST which is the one with the preloaded topo maps and have nothing but great things to say. It's got a few things the previous models didn't, most notably the GLONASS capability in addition to the GPS system.
Ive got a Garmin 78s.

HarryToolips
01-28-2016, 10:31 PM
not too sure about the "Cons: not as easy"...maybe it is just because mine is so slow but I find traversing way easier with a compass than a gps
I agree, for most of the time;)....except when in thick bush, and you don't have a landmark to use (unless the suns out, in which case you can use the sun itself to know your direction)...like in my avatar, when going with close landmarks in the thick stuff, you have to take frequent bearings..more time consuming..