PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas grinder/mixer/stuffer quality???

Elkchaser
11-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Just seen cabelas Canada has 1 hp grinder, 25 lbs mixer and 30 lbs stuffer on sale for around $1360. Anybody have some recent experience with any of these? Shared LEM gear up north on a four family purchase and share deal. Good gear but it's up north and I'm now in EK. Cabelas costs enough less with decent warranty/support for me to consider solo buy. Be nice to hear if folks have had issues though.

srupp
11-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Hmmm have the Cabelas 1.3/4 hp grinder..2 sets of blades..42? Size..
These things are beasts.! Period.never whine or change sounds just grrrrrrrrrrr grind.as fast as I can put huge chunks down its throat it gives back quality grindings.
The best quality units I know of.been very ..completly impressed mlre than satisfied. .this year 180 pounds ata go for moose burger and pork.Susan keeping the hopper full from one plastic tote. .me feeding massive barely fit chunks of meat..Terence changing out full totes. 20 minutes ground twice!
Couple things make it go easier..tips..
Match a cutting blades with one plate..keep those paired forever. .they wear and mate increasing efficiency.
Place the auger, blades, plates lock ring in the deep freeze overnight prior to grinding keeps meat cold going through..better grind.
Meat should be relatively cleaned up of heavy sinew silver skin.
Long pieces grind best let the auger catch the piece..it will do the rest
Keep the meat or get the mest thoroughly chilled partialy frozen is best..it has resistence grinders love this.warm meat is a no no..along with warm blades , plares lock ring auger heat from grinding process ..you will have a fight and the product will be mush..poor quality.
Highly revomend Cabelas grinders..if you can get the 1 3/4 hp..amazing. .9 years never even a slow down..
Completely satisfied.
Keep the locking ring snugged down also.
My mixer is LEM quality..chsnged out bearings made a stepped stand. .been a powered mixer for 10 years.driver between mixer and motor was easy to make.
My sausage press is a very very high quality DICK from Germany. . $1500..plus but quality.
Hope the grinder recomrndation helps.
Good luck. Any question's pm.
Cheers
Srupp

Rainsford
11-14-2015, 08:26 AM
I have the 1hp grinder and I agree with Srupp, BEASTS!

Before I purchased the Cabelas grinder I had one that was about 20 years old and it always made me second guess if I wanted ground meat. The thing would get clogged up and need cleaning every pound or two that it processed. I used the Cabelas grinder this year on my deer and it ate everything I put through it without clogging a single time! I will definitely be making more ground after purchasing this machine.

I have no experience with the mixer or suffer, but in my experience you cant go wrong with the Cabelas brand, its good stuff.

SR80
11-14-2015, 08:32 AM
I couldn't decide between the 1hp and 3/4 hp model. Went with the 3/4 and even it is a beast. I can't feed meat into it fast enough. The tone of the motor never changes ,just keeps on grinding. I bought optional foot pedal for mine too, its great and I recommend it.

cdub
11-14-2015, 10:24 AM
I have the #22 1hp and it works well. I also had a Berkel 22 and the cabelas is good but doesn't compare. I just bought the mixer and 20lb stuffer to replace older equipment. My old mixer broke as it was pot metal paddle and it split. The cabelas unit is stainless and should not be an issue. The stuffer has gears and should work better than my old 15lb unit.
The sale prices are only once a year so it was time to buy.

Ddog
11-14-2015, 10:28 AM
can't beat the grinders, heavy solid construction and simply do not quit, I have the 1HP and have done tons with it. Just doesn't quit
for the mixer and stuffer: the two people that i know that have these they said they they are just like the grinder: fantastic!

Elkchaser
11-14-2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks very much for the great feedback all of you and the tips from srupp - really appreciated. Going for it - hope to get some new buddies to buy in later - sale prices can't be ignored. Looking forward to some quality family time making sausage and pepperoni again. Again, thanks for taking the time.

srupp
11-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Learned sausage making from a mastet sausage maker Hans Luder..going to make hot spicey italian and bratwurst, and German dinner sausage aftet elk hunt in Jan.
Any questions..tips on sausage making give me a pm with ph number I will call.
Cheers
Srupp

btridge
11-14-2015, 04:42 PM
I have the 1 HP grinder and could not be happier with it, on the other hand, their stuffers are junk! I bought 1 that failed the second time I used it and the teeth on the second one( they replaced the first one) failed within a year. The main plunger shaft is made of aluminum and the teeth pop off. like I said, junk.

Sitkaspruce
11-14-2015, 07:47 PM
I have the 1hp grinder and 11 lb stuffer, both do an awesome job. However, if I was to do it again, I would go with another stuffer, like the vertical water stuffer. The problem with the stuffer is that you need two hands once the stuffer is 2/3 full as it is becomes top heavy and wants to tip over when you are crank on the handle. Not a big deal, but you cannot stuff by yourself. The other thing is that it leaves around 3/4 lb of meat at the bottom, which you have to scoop out once you are done. We use that in the jerky gun and make jerky with it.

Cheers

SS

Downwind
12-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Anyone is looking to pick up a new grinder Cabelas has the 1HP on sale for $400 right now, $650 regular. Have to order online but they have a free shipping promo on if you don't live near by

eaglesnester
12-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I have the 1hp grinder from Cabelas. As others have stated it is a beast, and will grind up any size animal lickedysplit. When you attach it to the 45lb meat mixer to make sausage it works like a hot damn. Makes sausage like a pro. If ya got the money get both U will not be sorry.