PDA

View Full Version : Moose calling and windage

bucket
11-13-2015, 04:42 PM
So I'm sitting on a ridge right now in 8-6 with a moose tag, my rifle and a cow call and just noticed I have reception. Brain is working hard wondering about some thing and curious of your thoughts..

using this cow call and the funnel really helps the sound to travel.. The wind is unfortunately blowing from behind as I'm hoping something will exit the tree line below. Obviously wind helps sound travel in same direction as it blows, but that's the same direction (our) smell will travel.

Now, have taken Basic precautions to make sure we don't stink like campfire or gas etc but I'd still think there is some smell the moose ought to pick up..

So would it be better to circle to avoid our smell going to their path , or hope the call makes them come regardless ??

thanks - happy hunting!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-13-2015, 06:10 PM
I'll start by saying I don't recon myself a moose hunting expert. Here's my 2 bits:

-regardless of whether you small like gas, campfire, or just plain old hunter, being upwind of where you're expecting your moose to show is bad news.
-I'm not sure wind helps sound travel in a certain direction. It definitely creates "noise" which is detrimental to your cause, but I'm not aware of that noise being any better or worse depending on wind direction vs call direction.

I don't know what the timber is like where you are, but the same "noise" that ends up drowning out your cow calls may very well be your friend if you can identify areas where animals are sticking to the timber and you can hunt it (it's not so thick or strewn with windfall that you can't get through it). The sounds of a windy forest cover your locomotion sounds WAAAAAAYYY better than trying to stalk unheard through a windless, quiet forest, which as most of us know, is damn near impossible. Just remember, if you end up going in the timber, pay attention to how much deadfall you go over/under. Making the same trip out with quarters, a pack, or any other meaty configuration will be a sh!tshow.

Good luck. Keep us informed on how the hunt goes!

Apolonius
11-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Try to move out of the wind that directs your scent to him.From the moment of your call he knows exactly your position.When you called is like you said something to him.Many times the answer indicates ,what he wants or what he is going to do.Time of the day that he replied is also important.He would move quietly and try to circle if he is got no scent.Change your tone a little,accuracy is not important.Try to move direction of your call,to make him think you are further away.Turn your call towards the ground to make it sound more hollow......Dont over call....dont give up.