PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help

Fishgutz
11-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Who out there hunts Pitt's plots? My buddy and I are so new to duck hunting we've got very little clue and would welcome any pointers or opportunities to join others out in the field.

Thanks in advance Fishgutz

limelaxer
01-23-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm new to the game too. I have gone out a couple times along the Pitt River. If the objective is to watch lots of birds fly WAY overhead or around you, then I'm an expert. I'm a little hesitant to try new spots (New to me) because without someone there who can show me with certainty its ok to hunt the area I don't want to risk it. Can't wait for geese to open up again so I can watch them fly by me too.

limelaxer
02-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Got out at first light yesterday.....

Tons of geese and ducks scared away when setting up....

Tons of shots heard up river of us! Tons of birds flying way far away and no success calling any in.

Went for a drive and walk after to check some other sites out for future.

Still a perfect day on the river.

Questions....

-How far from your blind should decoys be (Floaters)
-Last year at this time I saw people with just 2 floaters.... when do you/how do you decide the amount?

Trying to upload a couple photos but having issues

deltawaterfowler
02-12-2016, 08:34 PM
If you were just setting up at first let, wake up earlier! That should be shooting time.

deltawaterfowler
02-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Sorry for my previous reply. Didn't mean to sound like a troll! To answer your questions, there is no right answer. Mix it up a little bit. Have a few floaters and some staked in on the ground. Make things look like a happy little bunch of birds. Doesn't hurt to throw out a few duck floaters too, just for realism. I find that if other bird species start landing as well, I know I have a good mix and things look appealing.

limelaxer
02-13-2016, 10:25 AM
We were set well before shooting time... painful to watch birds take off before legal time!

Was happy with the ducks coming in, I will bring some ducks to mix in next time and need to work on my calls.