PDA

View Full Version : Chain Reminder

campking
11-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Hi All;

Was out yesterday near Spence's Bridge and ran into snow (around 2" only) going up was no problem, coming down a completely different story!

I should have known better but I did not even think to putt my chains on and it was so bad I had my daughter get out of the truck just in case the truck went over a very steep bank, truck was sliding even in park when it was safe enough we put the chains on (her idea) and had no problem after that.

I know most of you already do but I thought it would be timely to remind everyone especially new hunters to carry chains and use them as things can get bad really quick out there.

Glenny
11-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Scary stuff. Were you on a logging road?

campking
11-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Yes logging road but steep

GotaGun
11-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Yup.
My all terrain tires are new and have a mountain / snowflake on em . Plus carry a set of chains.

Macnbro
11-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Was just up in 3-33. Same story. Not a lot of snow and going up was a piece of cake running brand new Duratracs on the truck. Going down hill, hit a small bump and we almost went sideways. Uncomfortable for sure. Play it safe guys...

Looking_4_Jerky
11-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Was coming down Roche Lk Rd yesterday afternoon and the road was pretty crazy. Slicker than just ice. It was compact that had thawed and frozen a few times, then been overlayed with a layer of half-frozen sleet/hail. Even at 25km/h, touch the brakes and I was sliding. Unfortunately, someone with a trailer did not make it around one of the corners, and the trailer hit the ditch and dumped onto it's side. It was an obvious write-off. Hopefully driver was fine.

Chains would be the only way if you were hauling. Even then though, you'd have to be going real slow, because despite your truck having decent traction, your trailer would be prone to sliding.

Have fun and take care out there!

Glenny
11-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Indeed. Down steep can be unnerving especially backwards. whooooooooooh.

charlie_horse
11-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Same situation for me this last weekend. Had to choose the ditch or cliff. Once I got it out of the ditch I put my chains on and still had a couple pucker up moments.

Fisher-Dude
11-12-2015, 03:54 PM
I keep chains in the truck 24/7/365. They will get you out of greasy clay in the summertime, too.

M.Dean
11-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Yes, it's winter time again! Dam near ended up under my quad yesterday, backed off on the power going up a real steep trail, I looked back to make sure my Grandson was behind me and that's all it took, be careful out there! And a tip I learned the hard way years ago, lean how to put your chains on at home where it's nice and dry on a sunny afternoon, not when your dam near all the way over a 40 foot cliff in 2 feet of snow and a 50 MPH gale blowing! AND, when you put your chains in your car or truck, grab a couple of "Yoga" mats, or even a cheap rubber mat, just something you can lay on the ground so your not crawling around in the mud and snow. And, another little trick I learned last year with my quad was this, when I put the chains on the front tires, instead of using bungee cords to keep them tight, I picked up 4 springs from a trampoline, I put them on in a cross pattern, 2 for each tire, and I never once had to adjust my chains after that, and I plow a lot of snow with my quad each year. And above all, have fun out there this hunting season!

Fisher-Dude
11-12-2015, 05:28 PM
AND, when you put your chains in your car or truck, grab a couple of "Yoga" mats

I see you get double duty from your yoga mat, Marv.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/10/article-2142617-130779CC000005DC-260_634x478.jpg

Salty
11-12-2015, 05:43 PM
The first snowfalls of the fall and the last of the spring are nearly always the worse - wet sloppy shite, don't take any chances take it real easy.

Kilwinning
11-12-2015, 06:09 PM
We always try and chain up before we hit the bad stuff, but then we're familiar with the road where we hunt, we always put a set on our trailer so it's not trying to pass us.

SHACK
11-12-2015, 06:34 PM
People need to remember that ice and snow are always the slickest when temps are nearer to 0 & above. The traction your vehicle gets at colder temps is lost when the snow or ice starts to melt under your tires. Just take an ice cube out of your deep freeze and everything sticks to it...but as it melts its slicker than a wet bar of soap!
When in doubt chain up! Not doing so caused me some grief last year!

Jagermeister
11-12-2015, 07:38 PM
70% of your braking is done on the front wheels which ironically are the ones that also do the steering. Even with ABS, your tires are going to lock up. You are going to lose steering effect while power is still being applied to the rears wheel, much like hydroplaning that you LMLers are familiar with. You are going to be pushed where you don't want go.
So do this. You're going down hill and it's slippery and you try to brake. It starts to slide out of control. Immediately kick the trams into neutral. The vehicle is now in coast and steering and braking will be regained. Gently apply the brakes so they do not go into skid mode again. Try to steer it out without applying too much brake. At some point you may have to apply power to keep control. Keep this in mind when you encounter a muddy Cariboo hill too.
Been there a few times so experience speaks. Oh, and keep your ass clean so when your sphincter muscle clamps it gets a good seal.:-P

~T-BONE~
11-12-2015, 07:39 PM
In my dry box :)

elch jager
11-13-2015, 08:59 AM
+1

Learned my lesson on Wednesday

Just received the gift of chains from my hunting partner... 2" receiver being installed on the front and a portable winch is being ordered.

The shovels and sandbags are going back in the truck today.

I'll spare the details, let's just say that I actually did need the roll of TP.

All ended well, it's amazing what a never give up attitude and 2 hockey sticks will do when you have left home with nothing else for 'just a little day hunt'.

mike31154
11-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Indeed, I almost slid into a nice hole a week or so ago backing up. Good thing I had my avalanche shovel. Chains would have made things easier, but backing up solo without due care can get one into a spot even chains won't get you out of! I should know better..... but ...t still happens.

Can't get the insert image scenario to work here, but if you care to follow the link below, you'll get the scenario...

https://plus.google.com/+MikeSiemens88/posts/98dCDyt4n9p

250 sav
11-17-2015, 09:39 PM
I keep chains in the truck 24/7/365. They will get you out of greasy clay in the summertime, too.
have one set in truck all year, put second set in truck in october

Good2bCanadian
11-17-2015, 09:45 PM
What chains are guys using?

V-Bars?

M.Dean
11-17-2015, 09:55 PM
I see you get double duty from your yoga mat, Marv.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/10/article-2142617-130779CC000005DC-260_634x478.jpg And that guy looks just like me!!! More hair on top, but it's me!

tim3500
11-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Carry a pack of roof shingles extra weight is great and will get you out of a crappy situation but chains will keep you on the road

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2015, 10:05 PM
What chains are guys using?

V-Bars?

Yup. I use V-320s on LT 265/75/R16s.

boxhitch
11-18-2015, 02:34 AM
A good thread for the time of year , thanks

Its a good idea to have the chains setup to be able to put them on the tire without having to lay them out and roll onto them.
By just changing the placement of a couple of the cross chains they can be dropped over the top and hooked up solid.
Also consider getting rid of the cam lock on the inside side-chain and just using a hd hook made for tire chains , this makes life a lot easier too.

M.Dean
11-18-2015, 07:03 AM
Well, should be a fun run this morning up here! It rained most of yesterday, and right now it's -3, so if anyone is coming up this way today, or anywhere today, be real careful, I'm guessing there's a good inch or two of ice on the roads. I think I'm going to have problems just getting to the top of the mountain, with my quad, in "Diff" lock, with chains! Coming down should be a real treat too! And it's time to go, have fun out there!

Good2bCanadian
11-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Yup. I use V-320s on LT 265/75/R16s.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Just ordered some for my tire size.

GotaGun
11-18-2015, 01:39 PM
2 yrs ago . Found a guy and his girlfriend stuck in a ditch .I had to pull him out. He had cable chains. I had heavy duty V bar chains.
Snow was knee deep on top of the old stuff.

lakelander
11-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Do you put chains on all wheels or just rear?

11-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Do you put chains on all wheels or just rear?

l will put them on either front or back on my tracker doesn't matter......if its icy, the front front chained up will give you better steering. Its a cheap insurance policy to have chains all the way around, you only need to use them once to make packing them for 5 years worth it.

markathome
11-18-2015, 10:08 PM
"You only need to use them once to make packing them for 5 years worth it."

Some wise words right there. We pushed snow up to the grill last year in Seton Portage - we were hunting while everyone else was digging.

Bugle M In
11-18-2015, 10:38 PM
Indeed. Down steep can be unnerving especially backwards. whooooooooooh.

That brings back some memories back in the day up around Peter Hope....
that was the longest and scariest backwards slide ever, and the whole time pedal to the metal,
while my buddy jumped out the passenger door.
Staying on the gas didn't make a difference, but it was all I could do, as brakes weren't the answer.
Me and the truck faired well, him, not so much....big rock....lol

M.Dean
11-18-2015, 10:43 PM
On my truck, a 78 F-250 I always chained up the front wheels, that way the chains seem to bite better because of the extra weight from the motor, and it's nice to be able to steer the truck coming down a ice covered road, mainly the switch backs going down to Eileen Lake, from the top look out it's oh, about 7 or 8 hundred feet down! And even with my quad this morning coming down the switch backs, it was a scare ride! And the only thing keep me on the road was the V-barred chains on the front wheels. I think I'll get another set and put the new ones on the front wheels and old ones on the rears. And like Boxhitch mentioned, if possible replace that cam lock on the inside chain, you'll know why when your trying to get your head underneath your truck in 3 feet of snow, in the dark, with a 35 MPH wind blowing the minus 26 degree snow in your face, and you don't have a bloody flashlight!!! I shiver just thinking about that night! And don't forget a "Snow Shovel" and not the tiny one that won't reach behind the tire to get the snow out, and bungee cords, the black ones, and something to lay on, Yes a Yoga mat will work just fine, as Mr.F. Dude pointed out! And, like I've said over two hundred times, Fit the Chains at home first, where it's nice and warm, and make dam sure they fit the tires "BEFORE" you get stuck!!!

tadpole
11-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Always carry 2 set of chains in fall and winter. Lighter one goes on the front and v bars going to the rear. Life savers on a few occasions.

Squire
11-19-2015, 08:47 AM
I use the V-bar chains with three cam locks on the outside. They just have a simple J-hook on the ends and once the cams are locked they can't come undone. These are the best chains I have ever used and they go in in ten minutes by myself with no tensioners to hook up and no ridiculous fasteners on the ends. I dry fit them and cut off all but one extra link on the outside so there is no tag end flying around. I need the extra link sometimes just to get them on and it can be taken up after driving a little ways. I keep my logging raingear in the truck for rolling around in the wet snow putting them on. I just carry one set to put on the fronts to keep myself out of trouble but I'll put another on when I want to get deeper in trouble;-)

lakelander
11-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Great info. Wheres the best place to get chains for my RAM?

northernbc
11-19-2015, 03:28 PM
x2 on the v-bar chains, also if you are wondering if you should put them on you probably need to,..put them on before you are stuck much nicer.

Good2bCanadian
11-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Great info. Wheres the best place to get chains for my RAM?

Check out Quality Chain Corporation website for a great catalog of what's available.
Im buying mine thru Tirecraft in Portkells

northernbc
11-19-2015, 03:55 PM
I am into a new truck for me, a duallie never owned one before, I am getting chains for all around. I keep a camper on it should I buy singles for the back or go with the doubles.

lakelander
11-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Guys if you have a RAM check your manual..apparently the brake lines are too close to the edge of the tire and you cannot use them. Anybody with a 2015 RAM 1500 have experience on this. Seems like a stupid engineering design if you can't put chains on a 4X4 truck?!

skuntor
11-19-2015, 09:03 PM
I have 2013 and it's close. Could run type s chains on rear on stock tires. Wasn't happy when I found out I couldn't run proper chains.

Guys if you have a RAM check your manual..apparently the brake lines are too close to the edge of the tire and you cannot use them. Anybody with a 2015 RAM 1500 have experience on this. Seems like a stupid engineering design if you can't put chains on a 4X4 truck?!