PDA

View Full Version : Help, I suck at hunting.

KBC
11-11-2015, 11:27 PM
I was up in the bridge lake area last weekend to try my hand at some deer hunting but unfortunately I have no clue. I was in the same area a month and half ago and there were deer everywhere but this past weekend there was only a couple hanging out on private property. It was a great learning experience though since it taught me that I have even less of an idea of what or how to hunt deer than I already thought I didn't know.

There seems to be a lot of guys here who know a lot (or at least act like it) but I was wondering if there's any decent books or something like that anyone would recommend. Anyone looking for an apprentice? My current work situation is going to keep me pretty busy for the rest of this year but anyone want to give me some study material and maybe take a noob out next season?

Mid 30s dude in the LML.

coach
11-11-2015, 11:44 PM
The deer migrated put of that area. Happens every year. Next time try closer to the Fraser if you're there later than early October.

Weatherby Fan
11-11-2015, 11:50 PM
Everyone gets lucky now and again but as coach says above deer have different habitat depending on the time of year, some areas hold deer all year long.

Jagermeister
11-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Well, if I were you, I would zero in on Gorman Lake/Fishtrap Creek late season. Where you were hunting is fine for the beginning of hunting season, but like Coach said, mule deer migrate between summer and winter ranges. All you have to do is find the funnel or make friends with Dana.

KBC
11-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Yeah we figured it was the wrong time of year pretty quick because of the lack of tracks in the snow and how few we saw on the side of the road as compared to the middle of September.

Any good deer hunting books out there? I know there is a lot of info on this site and I've looked at a fair amount of it but reading a decent book with all the info put together in one place is a little more time friendly than trying to put all the little bits together sometimes.

Thanks!

hoochie
11-12-2015, 10:40 AM
The first few years of hunting was "trial and error". I was unable to harvest a deer in the first couple years out, but it was a time when I learned a lot. I would have close calls, but never had myself in a position to take a shot.
I have never seen any books.
It may seem silly, but try and watch "Wild TV" there are several programs on that channel that can help a person better understand.

Something I tell myself "hunting is not a guarantee". Its more like gambling; by being out there and learning more, you are stacking your hand to put the odds in your favor.

Seeker
11-12-2015, 10:47 AM
http://www.amazon.ca/Mule-Deer-Country-Valerius-Geist/dp/1559716800 - I have read this book and it was a great start. It will give you some great background info. As these guys have said the mule deer at this time of year are on the move to either rutting grounds or more commonly wintering grounds. Travels routes are a great thing to discover. You are doing the right thing in terms of putting your feet on the ground. Nothing replaces that knowledge you will learn in the bush. Good luck. Your first deer I will gaurantee, be one of the more cherished you will ever harvest.

Weatherby Fan
11-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Mike Eastman and David Long have a few good books out but are from the US, Mule Deer Country is an excellent book.

a simple thing to do is break your deer hunting areas up into 3 parts, summer range June to September , transitional time October when they may be moving from summer to wintering range and rut/winter range in November/December, this is how I look at areas as a general idea and in no way is it written in stone as weather will dictate a lot to the timing of this.

KBC
11-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys I'll pick up a few books and try and get out the odd Sunday for the rest of the season.

Ryo
12-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Scott Haugen's blacktail book gets a lot deeper than others I've read - though organizationally, it's hard to use as a reference. Got to read it cover to cover.

bigredchev
12-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Don't get discouraged. It's 75 percent effort \skill and definitely 25 percent luck. I've hiked days and come out to the truck and drtiven five minutes to see them around a bend. Good luck and a good season is just around the corner.

IslandBC
12-27-2015, 12:35 AM
All of us are still learning . Your just starting. You will be just a lucky as the rest of us soon!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-27-2015, 12:41 AM
joining this site was your first good move . i know its been great for me . a lot of great hunters and knowledge here . you will never know it all and there are some good people here to help you out . in a few short years you will be filling a few tags, The only thing i can tell you is, dont worry about looking for a trophy as your first buck . the horns will come. take some game . fill your tags . make it your goal to harvest one white and mule every year and you will be a hunter in no time . good luck and good hunting . welcome to Hunting BC

ShortnSweet
01-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Don't get discouraged this was my first year of hunting as well. It was exciting as well as frustrating. I had a chance to shoot a buck with my bow but he just didn't give me the chance to get a shot off. I also missed a doe this year with my rifle and I was hoping so badly to get one. I didn't give up and kept going out but had no luck. It was a year of learning and experience and hope that the upcoming hunting season will be better. We can only get better with experience and of course some luck. Keep up the hunting and I'm sure that this upcoming season will be better for us.
Good luck ��

KBC
01-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replies! I've been reading up and am trying to learn as much as possible. I think this year I will be learning a lot! It looks like I will have a bit more holiday time this year as well that I can put towards hunting ;)

KBC
01-14-2016, 05:54 PM
I should also mention, if anyone is looking for a hunting apprentice I'm currently in South Surrey but might be moving to Abbotsford in the near future and looking to learn just about anything about hunting, shooting, reloading etc. I'll probably be doing most of my hunting around 5-1 to start.
Mid 30s non-smoker, I can bring beer.

01-14-2016, 06:13 PM
How much beer CAN you bring ........ ?

Wish sh I hunted 5-1

8x68
01-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Even seasoned experienced hunters get "outsmarted" by the wily whitetail. As mentioned in previous responses it's scouting and a bunch of luck. You just gotta keep trying.

KBC
01-14-2016, 07:43 PM
How much beer CAN you bring ........ ?

Wish sh I hunted 5-1

Well...had to temporarily put my stuff in storage since the townhouse sold and we didn't have anywhere to go yet, but when we do find a house I will be home brewing again. 5 gallon batches of good beer at a time hehehe ;)

Until then it would have to be store bought stuff unfortunately.

KBC
01-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Even seasoned experienced hunters get "outsmarted" by the wily whitetail. As mentioned in previous responses it's scouting and a bunch of luck. You just gotta keep trying.

I'm going to be putting in a bunch more scouting time this year, hopefully it will pay off!

M.Dean
01-14-2016, 08:21 PM
"Help, I suck at hunting"(quote)! No you don't! Look at hunting like I do, I get up early in the morning, turn the coffee on, grab what ever I took out last night to cook for our lunches, wake the kids up, get dressed and off we go! And even if we don't even see a grouse, we got to go out on the quads, stopped for lunch some where, shot the guns a bit and in general, had a great day! Just to be able to go out and stomp the brush, explore new country and to just plainly relax, that's not a bad day! Some of the best hunting trips I've ever been on, I came home with no animals, but some incredible memory's! And about the best advise a guy could give you as far as your hunting skills go would be to get out there as much as you can, and enjoy every minute of it! You will get a animal yet, and when you do write a great story, take lots of pic's, and have fun doing it!

Hublocker
01-15-2016, 06:32 PM
You'll get better.

HarryToolips
01-16-2016, 12:20 AM
"Help, I suck at hunting"(quote)! No you don't! Look at hunting like I do, I get up early in the morning, turn the coffee on, grab what ever I took out last night to cook for our lunches, wake the kids up, get dressed and off we go! And even if we don't even see a grouse, we got to go out on the quads, stopped for lunch some where, shot the guns a bit and in general, had a great day! Just to be able to go out and stomp the brush, explore new country and to just plainly relax, that's not a bad day! Some of the best hunting trips I've ever been on, I came home with no animals, but some incredible memory's! And about the best advise a guy could give you as far as your hunting skills go would be to get out there as much as you can, and enjoy every minute of it! You will get a animal yet, and when you do write a great story, take lots of pic's, and have fun doing it!
Best advice right there..

harley1
02-16-2016, 06:38 PM
Check out Steven rinella's new book on big game. He just published 2. I have the second on small game and I'm new like you, but the information is very clear and detailed. Steven hosts hunting shows and is somewhat of a legend. Big books with lots of info. Good luck.

rocksteady
02-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Yup, you do. Give me all your hunting gear and cut your loses... PM me for address to send all of your shit

rocksteady
02-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Like Mantracker says... Know the land, know your prey...

cover those 2 bases you will have success...

Brno22F
02-16-2016, 09:27 PM
Like Mantracker says... Know the land, know your prey...

cover those 2 bases you will have success...

the best way to know the land and know your prey is to get off the computer and get into the bush

rocksteady
02-16-2016, 09:35 PM
the best way to know the land and know your prey is to get off the computer and get into the bush

Hell yeah... I beat more Bush in a year than Bill Clinton... And I ain't talking George W...

Downtown
03-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Every hunt is a learning experience. If you happen to connect it's the Icing on the Cake. Biggest mistake New Hunters make is constantly hunting different areas. Once you scouted an area and know the place holds the Game you are after, stick to it make a plan and the likelihood that you get your chance will increase substantially.

Remember the basics and hunt like a Wolf.

Cheers