PDA

View Full Version : Car and camp break ins or theft

Lugg
11-11-2015, 10:59 PM
All, new member here. New "hunter" as well.

I've recently aquired my r/Pal, my son (11yrs) and myself have both passed our CORE.

Both of us like to backpack which typically means we drive to a trailhead and park then hike in for a couple days. In many of these areas there is a high theft chance overnight. Last summer something like 20 cars were broken into in one night on one of our trips.

Now that we want to start hunting I'm wondering about theft and personal property damage. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think most people hunt off of logging or fsr roads. I'd assume often times hunters park their trucks just off the road to hike in for a hunt or to make camp. Or Perhaps camp near their vehicle then hike in to their spot.

Have any of you had bad experiences leaving your vehicles and camps like this while hunting? Do you leave notes in the vehicle with your plans?

Any advice to point us along the right path for both making camp and avoiding problems?

Thanks!

kilometers
11-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Leave glove box open. Fold down sun visors,open ash tray and centre console. Basically let them see their is nothing worth stealing.

Lugg
11-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Leave glove box open. Fold down sun visors,open ash tray and centre console. Basically let them see their is nothing worth stealing.

Thanks,

Same thing I do when I hike. I keep the doors unlocked too I drive a jeep with plastic windows.

Would suck to to have the vehicle stolen 40km down a road not many people drive on. Worse if they take your shelter too.

Weatherby Fan
11-12-2015, 12:10 AM
Luckily with all the areas I've hunted in I've never had my vehicle touched while hunting, most hunters pack rifles so if your foolish enough to touch their vehicle your taking a big risk, but saying that, it does happen depending on the area.

ACB
11-12-2015, 12:15 AM
I'v never had a problem in the 40 some odd years that I been camping in the back country, but the more I read on this site of people having problems I think my number is coming up. there must be things a person can do to stop these assholes from instilling terror in us. Those of you that have gas vehicles could remove your coil wire and take it with you , believe me their not going to steal your vehicle but they may leave it so that you don't recognize it. Maybe the only thing is to have photographic evidence,(trail cams) or maybe we should all band together and start a range riding militia or set up some bait camps to deal with these guy's because the RCMP aren't.

itsy bitsy xj
11-12-2015, 02:32 AM
Just wondering what area you're in ?(so I can avoid it) Leaving your Jeep so people know there is nothing in it and unlocked is great but some asshats might mess with it just because its there. Is it possible to get a ride to your drop off spot or park where you will becamping and then do day hikes?

nature girl
11-12-2015, 05:37 AM
Get a sticker that says " IF you value your life don't f--k with my sh-t."

This year we were hunting up in the alpine but we could see our truck as we were walking up the hill. I looked back at the truck and I could see 2 guys that had a utv watching us. Then after awhile I am pretty sure they were leaning against the truck. Well I am sure they were watching us for a good 30 mins or so. They were probably seeing deer in the alpine as we were walking up who knows. Then they left. When we got back to the truck nothing was taken so that was good. So if those guys are on here thanks for taking nothing.
In all the years hunting we have never had a problem. But we also do not hunt in high pressure areas where a lot of hunters go.
Maybe get a trailcam and set it up in a tree facing your vehicle for when you are out hunting.

squamishhunter
11-12-2015, 06:50 AM
I have a 'armed hunter in area' sign in my window - no issues yet.

Big Lew
11-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Some of the #%@!ing lowlifes that steal from and/or vandalize parked vehicles aren't
hunters. They do it all year, purposely cruising roads looking for items to steal. They
have learned to break in and steal items in such a way that even if someone sees them,
the potential witness doesn't realize what's going on. I had a bow stolen from my truck
in broad daylight which was parked just outside a wilderness prison camp. One such group
was responsible for literally dozens of break-ins throughout the Fraser Valley recreational
areas before they were finally caught.

Squamch
11-12-2015, 08:13 AM
I usually leave this guy in the backseat.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/1E9D2E91-A55B-448F-B3B8-FADB4B68CFF3_1.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/rednecksamwise/media/1E9D2E91-A55B-448F-B3B8-FADB4B68CFF3_1.jpg.html)

caddisguy
11-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks,

Same thing I do when I hike. I keep the doors unlocked too I drive a jeep with plastic windows.

Would suck to to have the vehicle stolen 40km down a road not many people drive on. Worse if they take your shelter too.

I drive a jeep with plastic windows too. It is also my shelter more times than not this time of year, about 40km down an FSR. Usually there are other vehicles that go on the road, but last year there were a few days where I did not see or hear a vehicle because the road was a skating rink.

I realize someone could steal it, though it would be darn tricky without a flatbed truck which would be hard to get into the spot. I worry more about vandals (even a random blaze from bad wiring) than theft. Not much to steal, but losing a shelter in bad weather can jeopordize survival. My precautions are:

- A series of lookout points from ridges on the mountain I primarily hunt. I poke my head out of the timber from time to time. On two occasions I have watched guys looking in my windows. They did not do anything and I suspect they saw the still-foggy windows and were just checking to see if I was in there
- Always keep a tarp, candles, fire starting material in my pack so I can still get a fire going even if I lose my shelter and everything is soaked
- Knowing that if hypothermia was still a risk I could stay warm by keeping moving all night and could probably cover that 40km in 8 hours.

Everyone will have different precautions depending on the scenario, but making it obvious there is nothing to steal is a big one. Using a club on the steering wheel, immobalizer, alarm, etc is great. For jeeps, if you don't have a hood lock, buy an aftermarket one. You can disconnect the battery and lock it up. I have a locking gas cover and locks so the doors can't be removed. Wiring up the ignition to a hidden switch is great too. With all those things in place, without a flatbed or towing it would take several hours, tools and smarts for anyone to steal your rig. I have chained the frame up to trees for multi day hikes.

So far nobody has stolen anything. Last weekend I left my window open 1/2" and someone pushed it down until it stopped at around 3". Not sure what the intent was (they could have just unzipped the rear windows) but again no break-in and nothing stolen. I think theft is a bigger problem around trailheads with parking lots or main roads with lots of cars to make it worth while. Not worth it to drive 40km of FSR then up a goat trail to break into a car. The fact a camo clad hunter could pop out of the bush at anytime probably keeps them honest too.

srupp
11-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Hmmm the leaving glove boxes open etc may work for druggies. But not the thiefs around Williams Lake...its a game, and a ride home..goodies left in vehicles are bonus..
Again its 10 % of a certain population but they work hard at it 24..7
Srupp

Lugg
11-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Just wondering what area you're in ?(so I can avoid it) Leaving your Jeep so people know there is nothing in it and unlocked is great but some asshats might mess with it just because its there. Is it possible to get a ride to your drop off spot or park where you will becamping and then do day hikes?

I'm in Surrey, but all of our backpacking trips this year were near Squamish / Whistler. Getting a ride does not normally work for these trips (But has before) and likely even less for hunting trips where the trip is likely 4hrs+ driving to get there. No one I know wants to make that trip to drop us off them pick us up again.

Get a sticker that says " IF you value your life don't f--k with my sh-t."

This year we were hunting up in the alpine but we could see our truck as we were walking up the hill. I looked back at the truck and I could see 2 guys that had a utv watching us. Then after awhile I am pretty sure they were leaning against the truck. Well I am sure they were watching us for a good 30 mins or so. They were probably seeing deer in the alpine as we were walking up who knows. Then they left. When we got back to the truck nothing was taken so that was good. So if those guys are on here thanks for taking nothing.
In all the years hunting we have never had a problem. But we also do not hunt in high pressure areas where a lot of hunters go.
Maybe get a trailcam and set it up in a tree facing your vehicle for when you are out hunting.

I would much prefer some low pressure areas myself. Since we're new to this we will have to figure it all out slowly. I'm already aware of some high pressure areas to avoid.

Lugg
11-12-2015, 08:43 AM
I drive a jeep with plastic windows too. It is also my shelter more times than not this time of year, about 40km down an FSR. Usually there are other vehicles that go on the road, but last year there were a few days where I did not see or hear a vehicle because the road was a skating rink.

I realize someone could steal it, though it would be darn tricky without a flatbed truck which would be hard to get into the spot. I worry more about vandals (even a random blaze from bad wiring) than theft. Not much to steal, but losing a shelter in bad weather can jeopordize survival. My precautions are:

- A series of lookout points from ridges on the mountain I primarily hunt. I poke my head out of the timber from time to time. On two occasions I have watched guys looking in my windows. They did not do anything and I suspect they saw the still-foggy windows and were just checking to see if I was in there
- Always keep a tarp, candles, fire starting material in my pack so I can still get a fire going even if I lose my shelter and everything is soaked
- Knowing that if hypothermia was still a risk I could stay warm by keeping moving all night and could probably cover that 40km in 8 hours.

Everyone will have different precautions depending on the scenario, but making it obvious there is nothing to steal is a big one. Using a club on the steering wheel, immobalizer, alarm, etc is great. For jeeps, if you don't have a hood lock, buy an aftermarket one. You can disconnect the battery and lock it up. I have a locking gas cover and locks so the doors can't be removed. Wiring up the ignition to a hidden switch is great too. With all those things in place, without a flatbed or towing it would take several hours, tools and smarts for anyone to steal your rig. I have chained the frame up to trees for multi day hikes.

So far nobody has stolen anything. Last weekend I left my window open 1/2" and someone pushed it down until it stopped at around 3". Not sure what the intent was (they could have just unzipped the rear windows) but again no break-in and nothing stolen. I think theft is a bigger problem around trailheads with parking lots or main roads with lots of cars to make it worth while. Not worth it to drive 40km of FSR then up a goat trail to break into a car. The fact a camo clad hunter could pop out of the bush at anytime probably keeps them honest too.

Always having fire / shelter / water source on your person is key. Agreed.

I have been considering a locking gas cap, not that it will prevent everyone but it may stop someone.

As said before removing the coil lead is a good idea too. Just don't lose it.

tigrr
11-12-2015, 09:04 AM
For a number of years I taped a 270 loaded round to the inside of the drivers window or just stood it on the dash. Never had any issues.

Glenny
11-12-2015, 09:16 AM
I've never had a problem, but I have never left my vehicle West of the Fraser river.

Xenomorph
11-12-2015, 09:20 AM
For a number of years I taped a 270 loaded round to the inside of the drivers window or just stood it on the dash. Never had any issues.

Funny, I know someone with a 375h&h doing the same thing.

Fisher-Dude
11-12-2015, 09:57 AM
This is why I stay in the truck and road hunt! :mrgreen:

Big Lew
11-12-2015, 10:14 AM
For those that use a locking gas cap....I know a fellow that had one, thinking it would discourage
people from stealing his fuel...didn't. They simply cut his fuel line, took what they needed, and then
the rest drained out into the ground. He was very lucky that they didn't throw a match to it.
Now-a-days it's harder to siphon fuel out of a newer vehicle, but I would rather have them take what
they want and hope they left enough for me to drive out. If they cut your line, even if someone lent
you some fuel, unless you had equipment to repair the cut, you aren't going anywhere anyway.

caddisguy
11-12-2015, 10:35 AM
For those that use a locking gas cap....I know a fellow that had one, thinking it would discourage
people from stealing his fuel...didn't. They simply cut his fuel line, took what they needed, and then
the rest drained out into the ground. He was very lucky that they didn't throw a match to it.
Now-a-days it's harder to siphon fuel out of a newer vehicle, but I would rather have them take what
they want and hope they left enough for me to drive out. If they cut your line, even if someone lent
you some fuel, unless you had equipment to repair the cut, you aren't going anywhere anyway.

Very good point there. Hmm... now I am tempted to leave it unlocked... though to be honest, I have always been more worried about a vandal putting something destructive in the gas tank than stealing the gas. Engine is more expensive than $60 gas (and perhaps an extra night spent or a long walk) That said, a determined vandal might just shoot it up or burn it, but I would hope that level of scum is less common. Anyway, now you have me reconsidering the locking gas cover.

finngun
11-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Take your old grand pa with yu as a camp cook and watcman..it is well worth it..most old pa s really love it..fishing- shooting grouse around camp..peace of mind for ya...

The Hermit
11-12-2015, 10:44 AM
I haven't had any back country problems yet. Get BCAA coverage, carry a cell phone or sat phone, consider setting up a trail cam on video mode to watch vehicle.

My wife, 7 year old daughter and I were out to dinner and the opera all dressed up fancy one night. When we got back to the car I opened the rear door for kido to climb in and a something moved... a rubby sleeping on the back seat! Kinda like that reaction most of us get when an unexpected snake slithers underfoot! I grabbed that poor ******* by the belt and hauled him out of there in one smooth motion and onto the pavement! Only his cowering and pleading stopped me from doing him some real harm. We were all pretty freaked out!

Surrey Boy
11-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Have had issues with theft and vandalism, rarely leave the car unattended anymore.

dakoda62
11-12-2015, 08:40 PM
I have only had 1 incident, someone stole my battery years ago west of Port Renfrew. Luckily we were able to borrow a battery from a nearby camp, and return it the following day.

Salty
11-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Thieves are naturally lazy. That's why they steal. They go to known parking areas because they know there's a good chance there will be cars there with stuff to steal and the drivers should be gone for a while. They don't go cruising a long way down logging roads looking for parked vehicles cause there probably won't be any. If they did see a vehicle they wouldn't know if it was a forestry guy or a hunter or what and chances are he wouldn't be far.

There's still opportunist thieves that may stumble on a parked vehicle and have a look but that chance is low IMO. I've sure never had a vehicle touched while hunting but I don't park at trail heads or parking areas. That's my two centablos

fuzzybiscuit
11-12-2015, 10:15 PM
This is why I stay in the truck and road hunt! :mrgreen:

That and the fact you in your camo coveralls that were custom made to match the seat covers in your truck would look out of place walking around in the bush.

walks with deer
11-12-2015, 10:29 PM
I had 1 issue once.
buddy left with literaly pissed pants and a broken rib....
lucky I heard him.

I am a very gentle hearted guy but tolerance should be zero to this.

I never worry about it when I hunt I wanna hunt.
most possession are Meryl tools,a gun is a tool,a truck is a tool,ect..
that said I catch someone taking them they well meet belzabub.

walks with deer
11-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Ps I think I still have his wallet somewhere lol.

wideopenthrottle
11-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Ps I think I still have his wallet somewhere lol.
name and shame?

303savage
11-13-2015, 10:30 AM
I haven't had a problem with people messing with my Vehicle parked out in the bush but had some kind of rodent chew the wiring.

finngun
11-13-2015, 11:04 AM
That is pack rat...nasty ,,same happened to my buddy..head lights wires gone,,

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2015, 11:51 AM
That and the fact you in your camo coveralls that were custom made to match the seat covers in your truck would look out of place walking around in the bush.

They are made of rich, Corinthian leather.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2823/223/32055111224_large.jpg

sparkes3
11-13-2015, 07:40 PM
I usually take range to a nearby ridge or stand of trees and write number of yards and scope reticule next to It in the dirt on my truck.
or just punch it out through the trees and hide it.