PDA

View Full Version : Elevations to Hunt?

DLP
11-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Heading up to mid northern areas of region 2 tomorrow. any advice on elevations to target at this time of year?

i can access 1000-1700m

caddisguy
11-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Heading up to mid northern areas of region 2 tomorrow. any advice on elevations to target at this time of year?

i can access 1000-1700m

Recently heard some advice from a fairly well known BT hunter. The general idea is that it doesn't really matter. There are deer at any elevation you decide to hunt them. If you hunt the valley bottoms, you'll be hunting the valley bottom bucks. If you hunt high up, then you'll be hunting the bucks that decided to live higher up. The only exception is the deer higher up will come down when the snow forces them down. Don't worry too much about elevation. Hunt where it's favorable... where you prefer the terrain and where there are less hunters. If you can get into some snow, that might be to your advantage.

jconn
11-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Recently heard some advice from a fairly well known BT hunter. The general idea is that it doesn't really matter. There are deer at any elevation you decide to hunt them. If you hunt the valley bottoms, you'll be hunting the valley bottom bucks. If you hunt high up, then you'll be hunting the bucks that decided to live higher up. The only exception is the deer higher up will come down when the snow forces them down. Don't worry too much about elevation. Hunt where it's favorable... where you prefer the terrain and where there are less hunters. If you can get into some snow, that might be to your advantage.

+1 for howtohunt.com app

caddisguy
11-10-2015, 06:02 PM
+1 for howtohunt.com app

Haha yep! proguide66 knows his stuff. Hopefully he has time to swing by for some posts on an HBC BT thread this year. He's addressed the elevation question here before. Many other useful tidbits if you search his posts.

~T-BONE~
11-10-2015, 06:10 PM
I generally hunt the snow line this time of year as I target the "migrators". This is where they normally rut and shed. At this elevation you could be 800-1000 ft + or - in or out of snow.. But generally yes deer live at all elevations.

caddisguy
11-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Good advice from T-BONE for targetting migratory bucks!

The mountains should be getting a good dump of snow this weekend. Hoping I'll still be able to access my spots. Could be a foot of snow or washed out by rain. Just gonna try and get in and keep an eye on it so I don't
get stuck down 40km of FSR with no reception.

DLP
11-11-2015, 08:32 PM
3 deer today in the crosshairs. All does unfortunately. All heading up hill at 1200m around 2pm.

Fella
11-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Was out for a week last week, all the deer sign we saw was below 1300m, above that we only saw moose, wolf and bunny sign.