PDA

View Full Version : A little tour of my hunting spots and some rubs

caddisguy
11-10-2015, 08:05 AM
I flipped on my headcam a few times last weekend while we were on our trailcam circuit and took still pics of a bunch of rubs. Pretty boring video, but I was hoping to get some advice from seasoned hunters in regards to how the terrain looks for hunting BT's in a mule/hybrid/BT zone. Also curious if anyone knows what made the various rubs. Seems like a combination of deer rubs, moose rubs, cat scratch posts, etc. Some seem like typical deer rubs but other trees are shreaded 15 feet up. Thanks and I apologize in advance for the boring vid. Skip to the rub pics in the last minute or so if you get tired of watching us walk around!! ;-P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZWVmjRf6Bc

bang flop
11-10-2015, 08:13 AM
What did your trail cams show? Some of the higher stuff looks like elk, lower stuff could e deer.

caddisguy
11-10-2015, 08:21 AM
What did your trail cams show? Some of the higher stuff looks like elk, lower stuff could e deer.

Cams show mostly muley/BT hybrids (does/fawns) one nice 5X5 BT buck, lots of bears, the odd cougar, had a bull moose cruise through in September. I have suspected there might be elk in there just no proof yet. I knew there were moose for sure (droppings) but only got video evidence this year (before people would laugh it off) I have seen droppings that could be elk, but I don't know for certain.

Sadly I have never found a deer shed in these areas. It's highly possible I miss seeing a lot of them but surprised I haven't found one.

We have seen 6 deer so far this season. Two doe-and-fawn sets and two unknown deer we just saw the rear half giving us the slip. I'm probably going to head out this weekend and hunt it properly rather than covering too much ground.

epicZERO74
11-10-2015, 08:26 AM
I actually quite enjoyed that video ;) Never hunted blacktails, so not much of a expert, but the area looks nice.

Wentrot
11-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Nice area - seeing much in the way of fresh droppings or beds?

caddisguy
11-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Nice area - seeing much in the way of fresh droppings or beds?

A couple bedding areas with lots of droppings (thinking its mostly one of the doe-fawn sets, as we have found them bedding there) and droppings/tracks once in a while on the trails that are clearly cut out in the moss. We'll run into the odd random pile too, but its few and far between... not like a Region 3 cut block for sure. Funny enough we have had many hours of deer footage on the cams but never once found droppings at the cam sites.

I think by some of the trails I have figured out where the bucks would head down to feed in the evening and head back up in the morning... nice ridge with fairly open timber too. I am going to still-hunt that particular area this weekend and wont bother with cams or any further scouting. I figure it's prime time to give it my best shot.

takla1
11-10-2015, 08:49 AM
found numerous beds in the area im hunting in 2-8 the other day .Look closely around the bedding depressions in the ground as the deer will usually deficate when riseing from their beds.I find piles usually within a few ft of there beds and that can give you an idea on the size of the deer that bedded there.
Keep a close eye on timber area's next to these bedding sites.Especially at first and last light.BT rut is starting now..

takla

walks with deer
11-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Takla 1 I heard if you chew on a piece it will tell you how old it is and where they been feeding..

bc_buckshot
11-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Blair witch project

caddisguy
11-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Hunted it pretty hard Friday and Saturday. Got up there Friday afternoon and made my rounds, walked back in the dark soaking wet. Woke up to snow the next day, but opted to wait until there was decent light... one of the drainages was running pretty rapid and crossing during the afternoon the day prior without snow was sketchy enough, especially solo... I wasn't going to chance it while groggy in the dark. Once again did my circuit, creeping slowly (not that there was a choice, the slippy snow and dead wind blown stuff was ripe for a fall or leg snap) through the timber, watching the open areas and opposite timber carefully, stopping to rattle or can-call from time to time. Didn't see any tracks (though the wet melty snow formed to the moss and leaves wasn't great for tracking) but worst of all, didn't see a single deer. Went from being pretty confident I was really starting to figure this area out and put the pieces of the puzzle together after 3 years to wondering whether or not I have actually made any progress. Or maybe I'm hunting primarily migratory deer that just aren't there yet. Either way I'm thinking of pulling out some of my investment in the area and picking another area, in a different Region 2 valley perhaps closer to home. Took a few snow pics so I can remember the defeat!

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/PB141032_zpsobo6fswt.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/PB141004_zpsx4ydy021.jpg

caddisguy
11-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Sure beats a day at work or a day at home though

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/PB141036_zpssbuavhfv.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/PB141033_zpswhaeknff.jpg