PDA

View Full Version : commercial deer attractants

tbocking
11-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know if the deer attractants that you buy are any good for mule deer. They all say on the label that they are engineered for whitetails?

Bugle M In
11-09-2015, 10:42 PM
I would say save your money.
If you get a buck in the rut, save the Tarsals.
Not so much of an attractant, but it may mess with their sense of smell, if they are downwind of you.
Me and my partner, have both been nearly run over by a crazed buck, on different occasions.
I think some bucks get wind of it, and think there is competition, and they need to set the tables straight.
My partner purchased the Tinks elk smoke sticks, and they just smelt like citrus incense.

Sofa King suggested a different brand, and swears by them, so who am I to argue, since I never tried that brand.
As for Mule Deer, the best is to sit in wait, in an area that seems to have continuous traffic.
Or, go in and hunt for them....my approach for the most part.
Or, hit the road, searching...
Like you, I wish there was a sure thing to use such as an attractant and as well a call for mule deer, but,
my experience as of yet, has been unsuccessful...IMO

elknut
11-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Tarsal glands definetly ...I used to save them and put Tinks # 69 doe in rut on the tarsal gland..It really worked..Now the Tinks doesnt work like it used to ...I think Wildlife research makes a golden estreous that has some good aroma to it..The tarsal gland will get you close to downwind deer ...Just my 2 bits..Dennis

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
11-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Put some white tail "stuff" out 3 days ago and the mulie bucks with the swollen necks pay no attention to it. Did this in my front yard again this year and the results are always the same as past "surveys".