PDA

View Full Version : last weekend

luger
11-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Hey last weekend I was up around Princeton and I hiked in on a beautiful 3 point, sadly it's 4 point only now, and with him was a doe. I noticed the doe blowing her nostrils really loud and I found it really intesting. I've never had that happen before. Was she sending out a warning to the buck with the noise? What's your thoughts and is this common? I'm use to them giving all different types of grunts but this was new to me.

Wentrot
11-09-2015, 05:09 PM
I hate that sound. It means "busted"

ruger#1
11-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Whitetails do it. I have had the crap scared out of me lots of times. Seems like they see you first. Had a large animal do it to me this year. I am sure it was an elk. Had a very huge body. I tried grunting for blacktails. And mulies. Never worked for me.

nazarow
11-09-2015, 05:44 PM
I had the same thing happen to me and my buddy after dark mid October when we were loading up the elk into the truck. Everything was in and my buddy says "eyes! Over there!". All of a sudden we hear huffing/snorting and out of the dark a muley doe comes bounding by withing about thirty feet. Heard that sound from whitetails before but not a muley.

Sofa King
11-09-2015, 05:55 PM
i get that all the time, but only from does it seems.
it's usually when they see you but haven't scented you yet.
they'll snort and stomp their feet.

Sofa King
11-09-2015, 05:55 PM
and yeah, always wt does, never mules.

ACE
11-09-2015, 06:06 PM
'Fawn in Distress' call ..... sometimes works.

Ambush
11-09-2015, 06:16 PM

I've heard it from mule deer many times. Always does and young bucks. It's more a warning and an attempt to force the intruder reveal himself.

A friend of mine once blew his nose out, farmer style, and a young buck blew right back at him fairly close. He shot it, figuring that would be the first deer that he'd ever called. :lol:

Big Lew
11-09-2015, 06:26 PM
I've also had mule deer does blow at me. Normally means a warning to other deer nearby.

coach
11-09-2015, 06:36 PM

I had a "decent" 3 point mule deer do this to me two days in a row this fall. Both times he knew I was there but couldn't see me.

Cyrus
11-09-2015, 06:43 PM
mule deer make that noise a lot...just to piss you off.

caddisguy
11-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Back in the spring we accidentally busted in on a "herd" of a dozen mulies hanging out in Region 2. It sounded like a pod of whales surfaces and blowing out their blow holes. They carried on snorting and stomping, dashing around triggering rock slides. It was quite a show.

Sofa King
11-09-2015, 07:17 PM
I had a "decent" 3 point mule deer do this to me two days in a row this fall. Both times he knew I was there but couldn't see me.

wouldn't that be the "snort-wheeze"?
I've always mistakenly referred to this doe wheeze as that, but a buck snort-wheeze is different.

coach
11-09-2015, 07:25 PM
wouldn't that be the "snort-wheeze"?
I've always mistakenly referred to this doe wheeze as that, but a buck snort-wheeze is different.

It was "blowing" at me. Sounded just like a whitetail doe. Early September so it was a warning sound and not rutting behaviour. First time I'd ever heard it from a mule deer.

RadHimself
11-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Heard it lots... Usually mulie does

big bucks dont usually make noise other then there antlers smashing through brush

Iron Glove
11-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Have had a few mulie does do it to us, particularly when we are walking the dogs.
We leashed up the dogs and the damn doe circled us maybe 20 feet behind, in front, beside us all the way back to the cabin.

ACB
11-09-2015, 07:54 PM
I'v heard it far to often, from Mule deer bucks and doe's and Whitetail bucks and doe's and Moose only cows as far as I know. Elk is more of a bark. But it all means the same thing. YOUR BUSTED. They know your there but can't wind you. But all is not lost yet. I'v had bucks that have either heard me or seen me and don't know what I am and have blown at me (thats what we'v always called it, blowing at you) I use a grunt call this time of the year with unreal success and have had bucks and doe's come back to try to see what you are,because unless they wind you they don't know what you are. Bucks and Doe's Both Do It, it's not a snort- wheeze or a doe wheeze, it's the deer exhaling very rapidly through their nostrils almost making a whistling sound as a warning sound because they don't know what you are and can't smell you.

Brian011
11-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Had lots of deer snort at me, sometime I've seen them sometimes I haven't. Both bucks and does do it when they sense danger.
The buck I shot this year was just out of sight, then snorted a bunch of times and then trotted into a lane that I could get a shot at him. He was a mature buck, so all deer will snort under certain situations.

Bugle M In
11-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Depending on the terrain, you can still sneak up on them, especially if you are above them.
If it is just bush between you and them, chances are they will pick you off sooner than you spot them.
Than if lucky, you may see assholes and elbows.
But hey, that's still better than walking all day and seeing nothing.

russm
11-09-2015, 09:26 PM
I spooked a doe a while back and she circled me while she was snorting, she met up with her fawn and took off after.

HarryToolips
11-09-2015, 10:11 PM
I've had both muley and WT does snort at me like that....

HarryToolips
11-09-2015, 10:13 PM
The difference I've found is the muleys will look in your direction and try to figure out what you are, whereas the whitetails all you see is white flags by the time you hear it...

Glenny
11-09-2015, 10:57 PM

Same here. I was hidden and they could not see me. Does were snorting. They were muleys. Have heard Muley does snort lots of times, Only thouht WTs did this but they proved me otherwise.

elknut
11-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Heard this same sound in the timber and went to investigate...What I found was a mature doe being hassled by an immature 2 pt buck..I knelt down and watched the show..The muley doe would run at the buck and the buck would back off..All of a sudden I hear something right behind me and almost get run over by a BC book muley buck ..He sees me at the very last and bounces around me... I raised the 7mm and nailed him ..The 2pt takes off...The doe stayed there...Here I am looking over the big buck and the doe looking on ..I kinda felt bad as I just shot her boyfriend ..Have also seen cow moose raising a stink and making a hell of a racket rebuffing the advances of a young bull moose...To humans sounds mean only one thing ...To animals many things ..Its all about the situation ...This blowing sound happens very often during the rut..Does will run off other does so as to have exclusive rights to the buck..Have shot a buck after such a senario..Hope this gives you some thing to ponder on your understanding of deer and animals in general...Dennis