PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone hunted near Tumbler Ridge?

Wildman
05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Just wondering if any of you have hunted around Tumbler Ridge before. MU 7 I believe, not sure what zone. How is the moosing up there? Is it LEH or open season?

daycort
05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
7-21,7-22,7-19 are the units you are looking for. south of tumbler is good down the 500 road. no leh. the 2 or less or 3 or more or ten total rule applies there. lots of pressure, but if you beat the woods hard you should pull out a donk south of tumbler. there where bad forest fires north and west of tumbler last year. it will take a while for the vegitation to come back.

moosinaround
05-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Vadim its spike fork, 3 brow tines , or 10 points, after sept 1st. Aug 15 - aug 31 it is any bull. Pretty warm up there that time of year, lots of fellow hunters. Check out areas near h2o and good food sources. Best of luck prob see yah out there. Moosin.

GoatGuy
05-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Lotsa moose and some dandy elk have come out of one of two of the nearby rivers! :wink:

If you get time check out gwillim lake for 10+lbs northern's, sight fishing on the fly or whatever kind of hardware you so desire.

Wildman
05-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Lotsa moose and some dandy elk have come out of one of two of the nearby rivers! :wink:

If you get time check out gwillim lake for 10+lbs northern's, sight fishing on the fly or whatever kind of hardware you so desire.

Are the elk open there too?

daycort
05-10-2007, 03:38 PM
yes elk is open from sept 1 to oct 31. some people have good luck at gwillim but i never have. I have always found the sukunka river and moose lake more productive in the fall. be careful hunting along the sukunka because there is lits of private land. i will say this one more time forest fires have wrecked alot of the area north and west of tumbler. if you are going to spend the money and time traveling up here concentrate south of tumbler lots of back roads and cut blocks and moutians to hike around in.

Wildman
05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys.

mntman
05-10-2007, 04:22 PM
lots of swamp donkey there, and good herds of elk I've always found it good in the second season opening, there is a ton of mining going on in that area and a large number of the salt licks are gone now

elkguide
05-10-2007, 07:57 PM
I guided in all of 7-22 for a few years......If your looking for a big moose head up the Sukunka river and then up the Upper Burnt River....your chances of sucsess tagging a big moose ( 50-60 inches) is much better if you get into the high country adjacent to Pine lemoray Park ( tough to get in but its worth it. Elk by that time are usually down on the rivers and lower elevations but you will find the odd one up high. The Hasler road can be good but again like was said before in this thread there is lots of pressure so if you get back into the high country where no-one else goes you will find big bulls. don't forget the whitetails there as well ( world class whitetail hunting if you know how to hunt the big ones.....there are 200 class whiteys taken there every year.

One Shot
05-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I had the opportunity to hunt there for a few seasons a number of years ago just before Tumbler Ridge, it used to be awsome had everthing in the area. It was nice country. Brings back memories. There used to be a lake at the end of the Sukunka road, Hook Lake? which had elk and moose in abundance. I would love to o back one day. Good luck and let us know how you made out. Don't foreget the pictures.