PDA

View Full Version : Wolves around Kamloops.

Firstblood
11-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Well, I spent the weekend with Steelpulse and a buddy hunting north of Kamloops. Had been hunting the same areas for a while, seen lots of deer bear and moose throughout the summer and early hunting season, saw lots of deer until the end of october. Theres snow in the higher elevations and that showed us what was really going on in those areas. WOLVES. Gosh darn wolves. At least 8 wolves travelling together at one point, but every road we drove had wolf tracks, every set of deer tracks of which we saw less than ten had the pack following them. Spent the day driving and never found a deer track by it self. Hadn't seen very much wolf sign at all until now. Looks like I need to change the game and get back out on the snow shoes. Might take a couple days and hunt around. Was wondering today, how quickly will the wolves change the patterns of the deer and moose, there were no deer or moose where there were deer all year. And of course I was wondering how big the biggest bugger of them all was as his tracks were something else. as wide as my size 12 muck boots.http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/firstblood69/photo%202%205_zpsrgxwjagf.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/firstblood69/media/photo%202%205_zpsrgxwjagf.jpg.html)http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/firstblood69/photo%201%204_zpsrb0fq960.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/firstblood69/media/photo%201%204_zpsrb0fq960.jpg.html)

ElliotMoose
11-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Yep.. It's crazy how the population has exploded. Up in the Bonaparte where I hunt I wouldn't even see one a year. Last two years I have seen over a dozen and all In broad daylight. The only effective way to deal with them is poison but that'll never happen!

Hartley1992
11-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Was out this weekend saw 10 wolf tracks for every deer track I saw . Spotted two huge wolves Saturday morning walking one of the main roads , scurried off pretty quick when we came around the corner . Pack of about 4 it looks like wondered into our camp last night , didn't notice until we woke up this morning and had wolf tracks 10'feet from our tent .

LBM
11-08-2015, 08:10 PM
More then just wolf tracks in the first picture.

REMINGTON JIM
11-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Out yesterday and lots of Wolves in Reg 5- 1 too :frown: RJ

Firstblood
11-08-2015, 08:42 PM
there was a buck following a doe in the first picture, picked up their tracks first, then found the wolf tracks after a hundred yards. followed them through some thick stuff and turned around.

BCHunterTV
11-08-2015, 08:58 PM
holy wolf sign!

CaribooBC
11-09-2015, 12:24 AM
Out yesterday and lots of Wolves in Reg 5- 1 too :frown: RJ
I have been hearing them howl almost nightly at my place on #24, just east of LB.

Bugle M In
11-09-2015, 12:57 AM
That first pic looks like a pack of about 10??
Seems to be a common theme everywhere.

BCHunterTV
11-09-2015, 06:44 AM
I'd love to set some snares where these wolves are....

Backwoods
11-09-2015, 06:55 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5539&stc=1 Same problem in the peace region, I would be going back and tracking that pack and snowshoeing around this winter, good excuse to hunt after hunting season!!!!

Xenomorph
11-09-2015, 09:07 AM
I'd love to set some snares where these wolves are....

Don't you need a trapper license for that? Just asking, no BS.

Same problemn the peace region, I would be going back and tracking that pack and snowshoeing around this winter, good excuse to hunt after hunting season!!!!

Was thinking the same thing, figure out where they are, use some calls ...is baiting allowed for wolves?

Backwoods
11-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Was thinking the same thing, figure out where they are, use some calls ...is baiting allowed for wolves?[/QUOTE]

My buddy emailed the local CO office in fort Saint John asking if baiting wolves and coyotes is legal for the purpose of hunting because we seen on the Internet that it was allowed in bc, the CO replied right away and told us yes you can bait wolves and coyotes in bc, but there is regulations on what you can use for bait, such as a live animal or shooting wild game for a bait pile, baiting them sounds like it's easy, but they are sooooo sooo smart, from the research I've done and talking with trappers the wolves are skiddish to come into a bait pile, I've my self only shot them just crossing their path. Just for a piece of mind on it, send your local CO a quick email.

steveo
11-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Yes you need a trappers licence and permission from the trapline owner but I think BCHunterTV just was wishing he could get a crack at them as well as myself. Baiting wolves is legal as well as electronic calls which should produce results.

Steelpulse
11-09-2015, 10:22 AM
We figured somewhere between 8-10 wolves as we would see 3 going down one road 6-7 on another and singles and doubles all over. It seemed they were just cruising the mountain looking dor food, we were at most 14 hours behind them on our old tracks.

skibum
11-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Nailed one earlier this fall, 1/2 hour up from batch - was a pack of 5 or so. They were traveling a narrow skidder trail, into bush after first shot - no time for follow up shots

That call to the downed pack member sure is spooky when you are out by yourself

Bugle M In
11-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Firstblood,
did you forward on the wolf location info to that other website that tries to track the wolves for anyone
that wants to go out and hunt them??
Forget the website, but until the MOE gets their "heads" in gear, followed by there asses, this might be the only
way to get more people out there after wolves....what is that sites name???

Firstblood
11-09-2015, 01:55 PM
I Haven't posted it to wolf tracker yet as I wanted to get at least a crack at them first. But due to my tracker currently not having a working engine currently, looks like I wont be able to really put in much effort. Saying that I want them gone as bad as anyone else.

The wolves were on the back side of SUNPEAKS, with tracks halfway to barriere. I live up the mountain and they are not far from the village, as close a 10 km. you will need a trail sled to get out there as there is 12-20" of snow depending on the area and its supposed to snow more. If you're serious about putting in some effort to wack these wolves PM me and I will point you in the right direction as to what roads lead where. For the greater good my friends lets kill em.

Bugle M In
11-09-2015, 02:01 PM
I Haven't posted it to wolf tracker yet as I wanted to get at least a crack at them first. But due to my tracker currently not having a working engine currently, looks like I wont be able to really put in much effort. Saying that I want them gone as bad as anyone else.

The wolves were on the back side of SUNPEAKS, with tracks halfway to barriere. I live up the mountain and they are not far from the village, as close a 10 km. you will need a trail sled to get out there as there is 12-20" of snow depending on the area and its supposed to snow more. If you're serious about putting in some effort to wack these wolves PM me and I will point you in the right direction as to what roads lead where. For the greater good my friends lets kill em.

good on you for posting info...

REMINGTON JIM
11-09-2015, 03:21 PM
I have been hearing them howl almost nightly at my place on #24, just east of LB.

Lets set up a BAIT out back of your place and try and get a couple ! :smile: RJ

RadHimself
11-09-2015, 04:56 PM
A 3' bar about 1" od, 12-20" of 1/4" chain and a big ol hunk of horse meat. Drive the post into the ground in the evening, setup on it before first light, pay attention to the wind and send out a few howls

scotty30-06
11-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know the closest areas to hunt wolf around lower mainland....im thinking Merritt but not sure....any idea?

BCHunterTV
11-09-2015, 05:42 PM
exactly Steveo,

I dont have a line but do have permission on 3 properties in and around Kamloops to trap, im headed out this weekend to start 3-4 bait piles. Mainly Beavers... few deer heads and hides

Yes you need a trappers licence and permission from the trapline owner but I think BCHunterTV just was wishing he could get a crack at them as well as myself. Baiting wolves is legal as well as electronic calls which should produce results.

steveo
11-09-2015, 07:08 PM
I would try at least one or two bait piles with just deer or moose and make at least one bait a good size so they associate the bait with a food source not just an opportunity. Remember with a trapping license you can pick up road kill, good luck.

BCHunterTV
11-09-2015, 07:27 PM
What about recovering roadkill from the dumping site? I know of a few sites ��

steveo
11-09-2015, 08:07 PM
I am not sure about that one but I would introduce yourself to the attending highway contractor and ask if they would let you know about road kill.