PDA

View Full Version : 1st game animal ever!

Mrs.Elkhound
05-09-2007, 10:59 PM
The begining of a new adventure.....

I thought that it was not going to happen this spring because I was
expecting my fourth baby.
Dave told me that we could go out and get me one, so the last 2 weeks we were out there looking for the perfect one almost every night. I had lots of opportunities but I felt they were too little and I wanted something
bigger.

I thought to myself that I was running out of time with me now 7 1/2 months pregnant and I knew that I couldn't go on too much longer without shooting my bear. So I decided that I wouldn't be as picky and I'll shoot a nice average bear not the big one that I wanted. I was spoiled though cause Dave and the guys took so many big ones last year.

The night started off ok, we went up to one of our favorite spots and
noticed a bear but he noticed us then took off. I was getting excited
thinking that was the one.
An hour went by of not seeing anything, not even a deer. We looked in
another area and came back and all of a sudden my 9 yr olddaughter yells
out "BEAR, BEAR,BEAR" "Over there!" We looked and yes we noticed a bears back! And only it's back. Dave and I couldn't believe she saw it. We quickly parked and set up within 50yrds of the truck cause all 3 kids were in it......quality family time you know.

Dave was hoping the bear would feed down towards us. Dave decided to go further up and cut across to scare him down to me. Dave comes back and tells me he is at the top feeding away....and it's bigger than most we have been seeing. That made me happy. I agreed that we would walk up the hill to get a better shot, I fell during the stalk but landed on my ass...it hurt but Dave was like..."come on, lets go" "You okay?" "lets go then" It was only minutes and we were in front of this beautiful animal.
All the ones I had an opportunity with just didn't seem right but this one was the one. Dave has been testing me with pictures from magazines on shot placement and where I need to hit to make a great shot so I
stood there, waited for that shot while Dave set up and worked the video
camera and his gun, then the moment, it was good. I told Dave I'm ready and then I shot him....the bear, not Dave. Hahahaha

The video tells the rest and it shows the bear launching itself off a
cliff. It was dead but did not know it yet.We waited knowing it was hit well but we were losing light fast. Dave looked over the cliff that goes straight down more than 400ft. And so thick you can only see 15ft most times. Dave called a buddy on the cell....."Hey, we need ya.......bring your .444" But Dave went in as we were still losing light. But it was dark because of the tree canopy. No blood trail to follow, especially in the dark but Dave heard him breaking twigs and tracked him straight down by sound and put a finisher in him. Dave said the bear would push off with his rear legs and roll like an armadillo further down the cliff. Dave went down and took care of the bear and made sure it was really dead. By the time Dave made it back up his friend had arrived and had just started looking for him. It was way down at the bottom right near a river so
it was nice and cool....so instead of working in the dark we took care of it
the following day after Dave and friends got off of work. here are some
pictures. We used over 350ft of rope in the recovery. Special thanks to Dave, some hunting buddies including HBC member Symon and my brother for the use of his quad.

Oh, and Dave said details so I used a 30-06 with a 180gr Hornady
Interbond home load......so Dave tells me. The bear measured 5ft 10 nose to tail....not a monster but a great start.

Dave will post it when he figures out how to do all that...Camera is new
and Dave is still trying to learn it all.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/004.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/003.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/001.jpg

Okay......see if the video link works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpO-EXC82XA

Steeleco
05-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Congrats Mrs. E nice going. That last photo sure has a sly look to it!!!
Is there prize for the largest bear taken by pregnant hunters :lol::lol:

Silent Wolf
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Tiffany,

Good story and pictures thank god you didnt get any with ElkPuppy in them as that would have wrecked it:lol:

I hope Elkpuppy is going to pay for the bear to be rugged out for you as you will always remember the first bear you take.

SW

Untouchable
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Thats a great first animal. Great pics and story too. 8)

Gateholio
05-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Attaboy!!...er....Attagirl...er...AttaMOM!!! Tiffany!!

Nice work, nice bear.

Enter it in the contest! You may win some shooting glasses!:lol:

Elkhound
05-09-2007, 11:16 PM
thanks guys I am soooo proud of her and our oldest daughter for spotting it's back up on a hill.

Tiff also knows the benefits of shooting out the shoulder now as well:lol:

Have to play with all this high tech stuff and will get the video up as soon as I figure it out.....maybe by next spring:sad:

Barracuda
05-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Congrats looks like a really nice bear and thank you for the great writeup I really enjoyed reading it

GoatGuy
05-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Well done, great story!

Mr. Dean
05-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Cool story.
Great pics.

Well done!

Hank Hunter
05-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Congrats on your first bear, and what an awesome story.

puppychow
05-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Congrats, nice bear, should make a nice rug for the new youngster.

hunter1947
05-10-2007, 04:10 AM
Congratulations on your first animal ,and a bonus it was a big game animal http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif are you going to do a rug from it ????. hunter47.

zigman
05-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Great lookingbear!!

mapguy
05-10-2007, 06:56 AM
great way to go memeries last forever rugs fade

3kills
05-10-2007, 07:06 AM
thats a great first bear nothing wrong with him at all....congrats!!!

Phil
05-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Impressive looking bear!! Great story! Thanks for sharing

farside
05-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Yahoo for Mrs. E. Congrats all round. I am finallly going out this evening.

Fisher-Dude
05-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Congrats on a great bear and thanks for a good story to go along with it. Please remind Elkhound (repeatedly 8-) ) that he is one lucky guy!

wetcoaster
05-10-2007, 07:52 AM
awesome nice job!

LeverActionJunkie
05-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Great story Mrs. E I enjoyed reading it! :) Can you please phone my wife and talk her into going hunting, I'm not getting anywhere on that.

Rookie
05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Good shootin` mama.Thats a fine lookin bear.Great story and pics,thanks for sharing.So are you hooked now?

rollingrock
05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Another night shift made me miss another couple of good stories. Damn! :D I like that look in the bear's face. Congrats Mrs. Elkhound!

ohno
05-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Great Job Mrs E!

That is a nice looking bear and an excellent story.

Iron-Head
05-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Congrats again Tiffany, Glad you where able to connect on a good bear this spring!
Symon

308BAR
05-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Wow 7.5 mths preganant and you put a stalk on a bear. You get a big standing "O"!! :)

A big Congrats on getting your bear!!

The Hermit
05-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Excellent! That will make a great snuggle rug for the new little one! Looking forward to those pics too! Congrats on both accounts.

MB_Boy
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Awesome work Tiffany!! Congrats to you on #1!!

Congrats to BOTH of you as I didn't know you were getting ready for #4!! :cool: :biggrin:

Offroad
05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Sweet bear congrats Tiff.

bochunk2000
05-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Great bear. I love to hear of hunters taking their first. I was excited reading your story. I can't wait until my kids are older so the whole family can go.
Steve.

bsa30-06
05-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Congrats Mrs elkhound, thats an awesome bear.Excellent story, but Dave told me their were some nasty prickle bushes over that cliff,tell us more about Daves torture trying to get that animal out of there.Thats some kind of determination you got, 7.5 months pregnant and out stalking bears.Glad to hear you guys had the family along for the hunt.

livingston
05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Nice looking bear!! Should make a good rug. Can't wait to see the video.

Will
05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Congrats.......My 1st critter was a Blackie too !
I'm showing this thread to my Wife.......Might motivate her to be a Cool Chick like You ;-)

elkguide
05-10-2007, 08:07 PM
right on,,,seems like you should be a hunting writer!!!!!!

30-06
05-10-2007, 08:10 PM
congrates on the first bear/game animal

goathead
05-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Thatta girl.good to see everyone getting involved.congrats on your first of many iam sure

Elkhound
05-10-2007, 09:16 PM
okay.....video link is here. Still working on the video stuff:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpO-EXC82XA

hunt lust
05-10-2007, 09:24 PM
awsome i wanna get my first bear hopefully this weekend

boxhitch
05-10-2007, 09:41 PM
From watching the video, it looks even more like it was meant to be. Like when he turned sideways, and then looked back at you as if to say 'Is this what you are waiting for ?'
Sometimes the opportunities are gifts.

Mrs.Elkhound
05-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies

it's so great to share this experience with people who understand. The video is short and sweet. He turned perfectly for me. Now Dave has to get me a deer in the fall:lol:

LeverActionJunkie
05-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Good video there Mr.and Mrs Elkhound :) Congrats once again!

joeD2J
05-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Awsome video. Nice bear!

MooseSpotter
05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Congrads on the bear Mrs Elkhound. Wish i could have been there to help out.
I have noticed that Bevan has a good eye for spotting animals. Next time try
to find a bear not so close to a cliff :)

bsa30-06
05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies

it's so great to share this experience with people who understand. The video is short and sweet. He turned perfectly for me. Now Dave has to get me a deer in the fall:lol:

Does Dave ever get to hunt again or are you taking over for him.:lol: Congrats again Mrs Elkhound, excellent video.

hunter1947
05-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Ho wears the pans in this family ???? ,you elk hound or the mistress ??? great vedio ,can,t wait to see the rest. hunter47.

rollingrock
05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Nice video! What a tough bug! The one I saw last evening was a little bigger than Tiffany's. Her bear just reminds me of another one....congrats again!

Fireball129
05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Congrats,That's one cool vid and nice looking bear.

Elkhound
05-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Ho wears the pans in this family ???? ,you elk hound or the mistress ??? great vedio ,can,t wait to see the rest. hunter47.

:lol:LMAO.....thanks guys. By the way Wayne.....Tiff actually makes me put up antlers, skulls and rugs in the main living room in the house......where are yours again? Oh ya thats right....in the garage. Just teasin ya Wayne

Although I better be careful.....or I will be the one at home looking after the kids and she will be going hunting:evil:

bsa30-06
05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
:lol:LMAO.....thanks guys. By the way Wayne.....Tiff actually makes me put up antlers, skulls and rugs in the main living room in the house......where are yours again? Oh ya thats right....in the garage. Just teasin ya Wayne

Although I better be careful.....or I will be the one at home looking after the kids and she will be going hunting:evil:

Yep i can picture it already Tiffany out drivin the back roads lookin for game and Dave at home in an apron taking care of the kids, dusting and cleaning and cookin.:lol:

Elkhound
05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Yep i can picture it already Tiffany out drivin the back roads lookin for game and Dave at home in an apron taking care of the kids, dusting and cleaning and cookin.:lol:

Tiffany says that won't happen cause I suck at house work.....but I can cook:lol:

Mrs.Elkhound
05-14-2007, 01:36 PM
I think Dave tries to bad at the house cleaning so he does not have to do it:lol:

I'm on to you Dave!!!!!:twisted:

youngfellla
05-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Congrats on the bear!

Good story, good pics, job well done Mrs. Elkhound. Good work on recovering the bear, Elkhound. Not many will chase one into the thick stuff in the failing light. 8)

The little one on the way is going to be a natural born bear hunter, mark my words. :mrgreen: My mom was 7 months pregnant with me when she shot a bear in self defence. Maybe that's why most of the bears I shoot are charging me......:wink:

Mrs.Elkhound
05-14-2007, 03:04 PM
wow, it is nice to hear other women out there hunting while they are pregnant!:lol:

I would love to go and get another one but it is Daves turn!

steepNdeep
05-15-2007, 10:52 AM
That's AWESOME!! Cool to make it a family event... My wife was there on my first bow kill and a rifle bear. Training starts early in the Elkhound family... in utero... 8) Congrats again on a great bear!

dana
05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Sounds like some great family adventure you had. The kids will remember that for years. Congrats on a great looking first bear!!!!