PDA

View Full Version : Road blockage

Apolonius
11-08-2015, 05:40 PM
I know lots of people complained before,about guys blocking areas/roads.Some with their vehicle some with gates or whatever.What are the options?Is there a legal way to go about ?I am not talking about doing illegal things like tire slashing/shooting.Is there a way to record what is happening?Is there punishment for interfering with a legal hunt?Can action being taken, so you don't loose your chance to hunt that specific area?I am not talking about Native stuff.Non natives are way worst in my opinion in that regard.Anyones good knowledge how to record/document/report is welcome.

Wentrot
11-08-2015, 05:57 PM
If I see a rig in an area I just turn around. The woods are plenty big.

adriaticum
11-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Probably not.

Apolonius
11-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Turning around is what i do too.But giving in to hogs,does not sit well with me.Looking more at what is there to protect a legal hunt and how.And if not why there is not.Giving up ,and we will loose more and more access.If there is/was a law and a few high profile cases,it would legislate respect that many hunters lack.

mikeman20
11-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Maybe a CO will help out, I doubt the police would bother though.
You could always invest in a good winch for removing illegal blockages.

M.Dean
11-08-2015, 07:55 PM
The thing is, if some ill bred son of a ugly crack whore is blocking access to a hunting area, claiming the entire area to himself, if you simply turn around and go else where, the little pock faced meth head won! When he hears your truck or quad turn around and leave, he's laughing his ass off! What may get his undivided attention is to lay on the horn, and on and on, until your sure even the snakes have packed up and left that area! Now you can turn around and find a new spot, and just maybe, if this happens to this brain dead crack addict a few times, his brain might come back to life just long enough to leave the road open, so all of us can use this public land!

Whonnock Boy
11-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Observe, record, and report. Take photos, note the time and date, and anything worthy of noting. Once you have reported the interference of a lawful hunt, keep in contact with the CO's to make sure they follow up on your complaint. Don't give up, as it can take some time. Sure the woods are big enough to go elsewhere, but a lot of times, people are just being downright selfish.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?101451-Our-Hunt-Was-Interfered-With

Drillbit
11-08-2015, 09:06 PM
I don't have anything good to add, but a practical joke you can play.

Put a big zap strap on the driveshaft so the tail slaps the cab. Won't wreck anything but will cause lots of worry!

markomoose
11-08-2015, 09:13 PM
The thing is, if some ill bred son of a ugly crack whore is blocking access to a hunting area, claiming the entire area to himself, if you simply turn around and go else where, the little pock faced meth head won! When he hears your truck or quad turn around and leave, he's laughing his ass off! What may get his undivided attention is to lay on the horn, and on and on, until your sure even the snakes have packed up and left that area! Now you can turn around and find a new spot, and just maybe, if this happens to this brain dead crack addict a few times, his brain might come back to life just long enough to leave the road open, so all of us can use this public land! Gotta hand it to ya M.Dean you have a terrific command of the language! hehehe Cheers Mark

northernbc
11-08-2015, 09:31 PM
lol x2 his response made me laugh. however as stated they are public roads.

IslandBC
11-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Just print off a few phony conservation "road blockage letters" and have them on hand. Throw one under the wiper and bet you won't see them blocking a road again. After there first warning ;D

Bugle M In
11-08-2015, 09:52 PM
If someone blocks the road, they get "0" respect from me.
It only makes me get out of my truck and hunt in there faster and harder!
If someone was courteous, I move on.

caddisguy
11-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Any story behind this? Who blocked what and where?

I'm pretty careful how I park, even if I am at the end of the road for me. One place I hunt, I don't think anyone has driven in years, but in theory one could probably unload an ATV and maybe another 500M, if they can get across the creek (steep bank though) Main concern is people might not know it's the end of the road, so I still try and put the jeep off to the side.

Kind of related, I noticed in the valley I hunt there's starting to be a little bit of a problem with squatters for the first 20KM of road. They cram trailers/vans/whatever in the little trails (that dont really go anywhere other than a few dozen meters to a decent camp spot) and they have been there for months. A few have even installed makeshift gates... some out of wood and some out of metal. Saw an RCMP officer attending one of them a few weeks back... girl they were talking to looked like a meth head... the trailer is still there... looks like a dump too.

Gateholio
11-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Just print off a few phony conservation "road blockage letters" and have them on hand. Throw one under the wiper and bet you won't see them blocking a road again. After there first warning ;D

Not quite as fancy as that, but I do recall hearing a story from a fellow who said he made a habit of leaving a note on road blockers windshields to the effect that he had taken a pic of their truck and if he finds it blocking access again, they will return to a vehicle that looks like it had been chewed up and spat out.

I dont' condone vandalizing a vehicle at all, but knowing this fellow, it was not an idle threat. When you block access, You never know if you are going to be blocking the wrong guy. :)

CaribooBC
11-09-2015, 12:15 AM
That's why I carry my SKS as a back up when headed out into the field. They are plenty loud when you let go 50-100 rounds beside their truck and the ammo is dirt cheap. The *******s will come running back thinking the rednecks are shooting the shit out of their truck!

Apolonius
11-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Not much of a story.Seeing always guys camp and block access.I personally thought there must be a law,like you can't just block a street.You get towed.Would someone face some kind of fine or punishment?And i know it should be.If respect has to be legislated,so be it.We already have a bad name as hunters/outdoorsmen.There must be some COs here that could give us some thoughts.Also if an area has a gate to protect wildlife or whatever,it might stop vehicle traffic but not ATVs.What is the point of the gate ?Everyone has Atvs.

604Stalker
11-09-2015, 07:10 AM
What was the situation where the road was blocked? Sometimes you unintentionally block a road when you get in too far for what your driving. Ie: I was up whipsaw yesterday and went up a deactivated spur after about 5 cross ditches I probably should have not even driven over I said screw it and got out and walked up to where I wanted to go in. Or were they blocking a main fsr? There's a big difference in my opinion.

caddisguy
11-09-2015, 08:10 AM
What was the situation where the road was blocked? Sometimes you unintentionally block a road when you get in too far for what your driving. Ie: I was up whipsaw yesterday and went up a deactivated spur after about 5 cross ditches I probably should have not even driven over I said screw it and got out and walked up to where I wanted to go in. Or were they blocking a main fsr? There's a big difference in my opinion.

There are some variables like whether or not you might be blocking someone in a vehicle that could drive the road (atv, jeep, sidekick) as well as how much road was left. Another thing too is that even if the road ends in 15 yards, there are going to be guys that don't know the area and assume you're blocking. Even of it's the end of the road, I try to make enough room people can find out for themselves or "try" to go further.

Gone_Fishin_
11-09-2015, 08:48 AM
l love my 9500lb winch... lol

or break out the target paper and start laying down rounds in that area.. i cant hunt it because you dont want to share, then you cant hunt it today either..

bust out the clays and do some skeet shooting.

Bugle M In
11-09-2015, 01:20 PM
There was a real bad instance of someone blocking a road outside of Cache Creek a few years back.
There were a few reasons the situation started, but I won't go into details.
But, at 1 point one individual, with his wife and kids, blocked a road, which did dead end another 1 -2 kms further
at another clearcut, and decided to go for a walk.
Well the other guys, (a big family operation to put it plainly, we call them "crack shak clan" up there), a pair of
them didn't like the blocked road!....fair enough.
So, they call all the family members, and set up a road block further up and wait....
Out comes the guy and family, the other group wants him to step out...
Well, he sure as hell was going to step out, so they started to puncture tires.
Guy in truck uses bear spray on some of them, punches it, and tries to smash thru other vehicles.
Well, his truck doesn't go far, and breaks down, as well as destroying 2 other vehicles.
Than he flees, and supposedly shooting ensues...
So, you can see what happens....and quick.
Don't BLOCK roads.
And don't take it upon yourself to show them a lesson.
Take photo's and report.
Leave a note...maybe.
Or just park to the side, leave room with your vehicle, and go in and hunt.
That being said, I know that the person blocking the road for a reason, ain't going to like to see me there,
so I will take photo's in case my truck is damaged.
So far, all is good, and no one has damaged my truck, doing it this way.
I suspect the reason they block, is more to do with a vehicle driving in, rather than me hunting there.
But yes, some have the mentality it's ALL THEIRS, since they got there first.
Not going to happen....
Just my thoughts, and a little history lesson to keep in mind.

RadHimself
11-09-2015, 01:40 PM
There are a pile of squatsrs at the bottom of whiteman creek up to the maw main turn off, started appearing when i was still in highschool. Fences, gates. A little shanty town. Heard dogs barking and runnin behind my truck a few times never bothered me. Pissed us of the firt couple years cause the spot they set their crap up was an old bridge sight and my family used to go down there and cook food before going home after cutting firewood all day. Douglas lake ranch has even left alot of their gates unlocked now. But one group i see every year, shows up in november, camps at the bottom of slade fsr and blocks the whole thing off, "your not going up there"... Mind u its only for a week or so while theyre up from the coast or whatever.

I try and park off the the side when i do leave my truck. As well as leave a few good boot prints indicating which way i went. For the first time in a long time i bumped into two guya walkin the same set of coulees on a ridge my grandpa showed me as a kid. Got the old "i thought we were the onl ones who knew about this place" well, clearly not.. "You got a cam in here too", "yup"... "Did your cam pick me up? I asked... "Nope", "well i guess were safe then"... "Good luck" and carried on to find that a bear had moved into the area and the deer had moved out...

thems the breaks

what i have a serious problem with is the guys who abuse "cattlemens club" signs and post "no hunting" signs on public land around their farms... Theres a few select azzholes in cherryville, and one particular gravel pit in prichardt below harper lake.... Apparently your property lines end where you say they do and you own the entire mountain side along with it

RadHimself
11-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Speaking of which, id love to see the actual written law on free range cattle... And what is entitled as free range and what is not... Because i found cattle this year in the ALPINE below twinlakes hiking in with my gf, as well as in the alpine up kate creek below sitkum drainage and lakes.

goatdancer
11-09-2015, 02:53 PM
I know lots of people complained before,about guys blocking areas/roads.Some with their vehicle some with gates or whatever.What are the options?Is there a legal way to go about ?I am not talking about doing illegal things like tire slashing/shooting.Is there a way to record what is happening?Is there punishment for interfering with a legal hunt?Can action being taken, so you don't loose your chance to hunt that specific area?I am not talking about Native stuff.Non natives are way worst in my opinion in that regard.Anyones good knowledge how to record/document/report is welcome.

It would be a tough push to get an " interfering with a legal hunt " charge against some jackass that parks on the road. Maybe the SOB just doesn't know how to park.