PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hit on Hope Princeton..What to do?

Newman
11-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Ok. So if your driving the Hope Princeton at night and you come across a deer that has been hit by a vehicle and is unable to walk and just laying there suffering what would/could you do?? Shoot it? Illegal to discharge firearms on road. Stab it?? No cell service, but even if there was then what? :-(

Coachman
11-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Morally? Shoot it. But be prepared to pay the consequences if some reports that you shot it.

Legally? There is sporadic cell coverage on that highway now. Call the rcmp and they should go shoot it or they will contact conservation.

What would I do? . Wait till there were no vehicles and put it down with a. 22. Quick and quiet.

whitlers
11-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Sharp knife to the neck. Then call it in. Thats what I would do.

adriaticum
11-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Load it into my truck and take it to a nearby rescue.
My freezer.

two-feet
11-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Bonk it, load it, eat it. And dont post it on a forum.

Xenomorph
11-04-2015, 10:32 PM
OK, I can't help it. ALL OF THE ABOVE? :)

mpotzold
11-04-2015, 10:35 PM

I think it was STEADY GIRL that would cut the wounded animal's throat until dead!:shock:
Personally I would shoot it if safe and report it ASAP.

huntermike
11-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Good Question !! I think dispatch best way for situation . Eat >Shut up ????

rudysteelhead
11-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Here is where the problem lies.... illegal to discharge firearms within certain distances of center-line of marked hwy, illegal to shoot an animal and not cancel a species tag. Even with a knife or other object, you are still harvesting the animal. I would hope that if RCMP or CO'S show up they wouldn't give you to much hassle. We all know what we would do in that situation. Reporting is good option as well

604ksmith
11-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Take a video of the struggling deer with your phone. Then stop the video, bonk it on the head/bleed it out, and either leave it or take it with you depending on it's condition.

If you get stopped/reported you can show an officer your video to play into the ethics/morals being more important than laws. If you don't get stopped/reported, you have a 20 minute drive back to the nearest cell service and can decide if you want to report or keep for yourself.

Either way, the deer needs to be put down quickly and safely. Any reasonable officer should agree, I don't see this being a big issue.

mpotzold
11-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Here is where the problem lies.... illegal to discharge firearms within certain distances of center-line of marked hwy, illegal to shoot an animal and not cancel a species tag. Even with a knife or other object, you are still harvesting the animal. I would hope that if RCMP or CO'S show up they wouldn't give you to much hassle. We all know what we would do in that situation. Reporting is good option as well

I don't see a problem. It's called extenuating circumstances!

Bugle M In
11-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Bonk it on the head, rather than shoot, as others said.
Knife would be 2nd option.

Drillbit
11-04-2015, 10:56 PM
I'd shoot it. Worst case, drive over it. I'd never try and club it or cut it's throat.

todbartell
11-04-2015, 11:01 PM
If you had a firearm, shoot it. Probably wouldn't do that if there was a bunch of looky lou's watching though

rudysteelhead
11-04-2015, 11:02 PM
I don't see a problem. It's called extenuating circumstances!

Agreed, but there is a problem... Legal or moral??. Like I said, 'We all know what we would do'.

mikeman20
11-04-2015, 11:06 PM
The police and Co's shoot them in this situation.

bandit
11-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Do not take the deer home and eat it. It's illegal and inedible!

in the UK where deer hunters can sell to butchers they have to go through strict meat handling training. Major rule that stress hormones and adrenaline make it unfit for human consumption. One time I was coming back from a deer hunt in England and we came across an injured deer by the side of the road. Guide took a knife out even though he had a silenced rifle! I asked if he would use the carcass... He said it would get buried, not even fit for feeding his dog.

adriaticum
11-04-2015, 11:16 PM

in the UK where deer hunters can sell to butchers they have to go through strict meat handling training. Major rule that stress hormones and adrenaline make it unfit for human consumption. One time I was coming back from a deer hunt in England and we came across an injured deer by the side of the road. Guide took a knife out even though he had a silenced rifle! I asked if he would use the carcass... He said it would get buried, not even fit for feeding his dog.

Why do you say inedible?
Too much stress hormone?

Weatherby Fan
11-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Had this very problem just east of Hope heading westbound and I guess a lady had hit a blackbear, we were coming back from hunting in Princeton and this bears hip is hanging out and blood everywhere and it can't get over the barriers on the highway........so I grab my rifle and walk over to it and it scrambles over the barrier so I give it a pain killer to the head......I no sooner put my rifle back in the truck and a cop pulls up and hops out of his car with a shotgun, he was shaking so bad he could hardly talk, I tell him what took place and ask him if he wants to see the bear and he says no no thats good....thanks for doing that and leaves........he wanted no part of looking for that bear !!!

So as long as its safe to do so I would dispatch the animal.

adriaticum
11-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Had this very problem just east of Hope heading westbound and I guess a lady had hit a blackbear, we were coming back from hunting in Princeton and this bears hip is hanging out and blood everywhere and it can't get over the barriers on the highway........so I grab my rifle and walk over to it and it scrambles over the barrier so I give it a pain killer to the head......I no sooner put my rifle back in the truck and a cop pulls up and hops out of his car with a shotgun, he was shaking so bad he could hardly talk, I tell him what took place and ask him if he wants to see the bear and he says no no thats good....thanks for doing that and leaves........he wanted no part of looking for that bear !!!

So as long as its safe to do so I would dispatch the animal.

I think you just got lucky

scotty30-06
11-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Had same situation happen on Chilliwack lake road with a doe....rcmp told me to dispatch if safe and wait by the body....cop showed up and we drug it a ways into the bush after he took pics and that was that

Weatherby Fan
11-04-2015, 11:28 PM
I think you just got lucky

No no I practice a lot I'm a good shot ;-)

Gateholio
11-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Been there, done the right thing. Problem is the only legal thing you can do is not do anything except report it. Use your judgement, be safe, do the right thing.

jaeger
11-04-2015, 11:43 PM

x2 that is what i would do as well

brian
11-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Major rule that stress hormones and adrenaline make it unfit for human consumption. That sounds like BS, most deer shot by hunters that live longer than a second with their hearts intact will have stress hormones coursing through their entire body. Hell all the animals in the factory food meat system are awash in stress hormones before they die. With a road accident deer I would be more worried about the guts being smashed and tainting the meat than 'stress hormones'.

okas
11-05-2015, 12:09 AM
um um for the hounds. say nothing

CaribooBC
11-05-2015, 12:35 AM
My wife hit a moose just 100 yards from our driveway a few years ago. She broke it's hip and it dragged itself off of the highway. I was at work when she called me. I then called the RCMP first to ask if she could put it down (she hunts and is very adept with a rifle). The RCMP told us no we could not shoot it we had to call the CO and get them out to dispatch the Moose. I called the local CO, who I knew personally, and he gave us permission to shoot it. He was in bed (10:30pm on a Sunday night) and almost an hours drive away. He said it would be much more humane for us to put it down. I asked him what would happen with the meat, I was expecting to be asked to field dress it and take it to be butchered to give away to the needy, but to my surprise he asked me if I wanted it. I said yes and he replied that he would issue a permit for me first thing the next morning. So for the low cost of our $200 insurance deductible we had a freezer full of Moose! There was nothing wrong with the meat. We only lost about 20lbs of meat in one hip due to bruising and blood.
A few years later, I again reported a doe hit, to the RCMP. I did not ask permission to shoot it as I did not have a firearm with me. There was a constable in the area, he arrived in about 10 minutes and with three shots from his side arm he dispatched the doe. I was told by the constable to sit in my car until he was done, I was not allowed to be anywhere near him when he fired his sidearm!

steadly93
11-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Had a friend hit a deer and when he reported it the RCMP officer asked if he had a gun and to put it down if he could.. which he did.

M.Dean
11-05-2015, 06:51 AM
If the animal is still eatable, I'd say try to kill it as humanely as possible, then if you can, take it home and butcher it up so it doesn't go to waste. But, that's Illegal, the "Legal" thing to do is watch it die slowly and painfully on the cold pavement, then drag it off the road way into the ditch, phone the CO's and they'll leave it there until it rots. If any of the meat is eatable, there's always some one up here that can use the meat, so very few animals lay in the ditch up here to rot. Legal or not, it's the "Right" thing to do. And Slow down at night!!!

two-feet
11-05-2015, 08:17 AM

This is wrong. The meat is still good. I have eaten animals that were wounded hunting, hit by cars and trains, etc. , all quite stressful situations for said animals. still good.

J_T
11-05-2015, 08:48 AM
1) Bash it on the head
2) slit its throat
3) post video on facebook

Isn't that what everyone is doing with nonsense these days?

Eastbranch
11-05-2015, 09:04 AM

Yeah this is totally wrong. A lot of US states have laws allowing people to take roadkill as they see fit.

skibum
11-05-2015, 10:06 AM
I carry a sharp knife in my truck always - but

going up and cutting an animal's throat is not easy as it sounds - Unless it has a broken back, it could get messy

rocksteady
11-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Been there done that, several times...

Axe, Pulaski, tire iron, knife...

Do what is right and be on your way.

Salty
11-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Reading all this the biggest thing that springs to min is... interesting first and only post.

11-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Reading all this the biggest thing that springs to min is... interesting first and only post.

lol ya!
aaaand ... is it a buck?

j270wsm
11-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Winter of 2001 I came across a cop that had just finished shooting a cow elk that was hit by a car. He gave me permission to take the elk. The meat was perfectly fine except for 5-10lbs of meat around the broken hip.

3yrs ago in the exact same spot on the highway a guy I know hit a cow moose with his work truck. 45-60 min later I helped another friend gut & quarter the moose. The next day the co was called. Co showed up a few hrs later asked a few questions and took 1/2 of the moose. Due to my friend being a hunter and having a good job he was only allowed to keep 1/2 of the moose. The other 1/2 was supposed to be delivered to a local butcher to hen be donated to the local food bank.

Newman
11-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Won't even hesitate if ever faced with that situation again. That sucked..Was a tough one but couldn't just let her suffer. Hope I never see that again. Like M. Dean said..people need to slow down on them roads and look out for the wildlife. And if shit does go down at least stop and deal with it. Don't leave it for someone else. Don't leave it in the middle of the highway and cause another accident..

Sofa King
11-05-2015, 10:05 PM
jump on it and cut it's throat.
that's the only ethical thing to do.
in fact, I know a guy on this site that did that to a deer on the island.
now that I think about it, my old boss did it also, one morning driving in to work from paul lake.

walks with deer
11-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Sharp axe done...

If in good shape plop into truck and shut up. if not let lie and keep going....no firearms on highways don't need the headache...

Jedcote50
11-06-2015, 09:44 AM
It's extremely difficult to "wack" an injured animal on the head if they aren't near dead already. They are over flowing with adrenaline and trying to escape if they can, once they see some crazy human coming at them with an axe they go bezerk if they can. They may seem dormant but they'll give it all they have - usually at the last moment. Not to mention the huge traumatic event it is to actually kill some large creature with your own hands, and watch them die, most people would be haunted with guilt ridden memories. Then there's the real possibility of an injury - either getting kicked, gored or bitten by the animal. Or even worse stabbing yourself or hitting yourself with the axe if the animal flinches just before you make contact. Some guys may be able to dispatch an animal with a knife or axe but I would say most people couldn't. If you see an injured animal on the road the only option for a quick humane kill is with a firearm. The RCMP will do it but when they discharge their sidearm they must go through a $hitload of paperwork, the CO's are usually unavailable for a timely visit to each roadway episode. I spent too many years traveling the roads of BC late at night and early in the morning, I've had the unfortunate luck of hitting deer and one horse and been at the site of countless other one-sided collisions, I carry a 30-30 or a 410 with slugs in my vehicle for the exact purpose of roadside assistance ( I find a 22 is often too small to do the job on a large freaked out animal). I avoided witnesses when possible or ask the bystanders to walk away while I do what must be done, and I've never reported these incidents unless the authorities were already involved. I've never myself collected the meat but there have been times when others have. In my experience more animals are wounded and leave the roadside to suffer than actually stay at the scene. In most cases these collisions are/were unavoidable, but the advice of slowing down and being attentive at dawn and dusk is your best defense.

Boner
11-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Been there, done that. No cameras please, and wait for a break in the traffic.

HoundDog
11-06-2015, 07:05 PM
You can get a permit to collect road kill. If you don't have one at the time call the local CO and they will tell you how best to proceed. If you do dispatch it please drag it far off the road way as to not cause more accidents once the predators arrive.

Glenny
11-06-2015, 07:39 PM
x2 that is what i would do as well

If its got antlers and life left on it this would be kinda dangerous IMO. I would shoot it and end it's suffering and move on.

swampthing
11-06-2015, 07:49 PM
One of my work crews was coming out of bella coola after a couple week work shift. There was 3-4 work trucks in a row heading out together. Just outside bella coola one of our 5 ton truck clipped a couple deer. One was struggling with a broken back.
Had no weapons. Smoothbor got out and clubbed it with a long bar. Brutal but put it out of its mysery. He is hardcore.

mpotzold
03-12-2018, 10:58 PM
Here’s an animal probably hit by a car that appears dead.
Surprise!:shock:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12707802/roadkill-with-happy-ending#Post12707802

finngun
03-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Legal thing to do is take it home when it is dead.....if ya have trappers licence,,some people have it ..8-)

browningboy
03-13-2018, 10:08 AM
About 10 years ago I came across a woman that hit a deer on the 5 north of Princeton, she was pretty distraught and her minivan some good damage, but in any case she showed me the doe and it was suffering, there was the odd vehicle going by but at this point it was my morals that made me walk over and put a 22 in its head, I gave the woman my number in case the police asked then continued on to go to the lake... I did receive a call from the detachment just asking about the circumstances, he asked why I was carrying a rifle etc and once we were done he thanked me for my time and that was it..

About 6 years ago coming home from Pink Mountain we were just south of Windy Point and came across a chevy cavalier that hit a black bear, the front end was severely damaged, and the occupants were staying put in the car as they were freaked out by the bear, now the bear front shoulder was totaled and obviously other injuries but it just stood on the grass at the shoulder in pain, so we shot it and then helped the occupants move their car and then give them a ride back to Windy Point to use the pay phone as there was no cell service at the time...

So obviously don't go around shooting stuff but there are circumstances/morals that make you use common sense..

Boner
03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Been there, done that. No cameras please, and wait for a break in the traffic.

Had a mule buck with a broken back in a choke hold this past April. Just as the school bus went by.

Whoops. They were bush kids though. They’ll pull through alright.

Edzzed
03-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Personally speaking, I would wait till no witnesses and dispatch it. If there is a witness, ask if they are OK with dispatching the animal. If they take issue with it ask them to leave and call the authorities or sit in their car, When there is a break in traffic, dispatch the animal. Leave and call authorities with witness plate number. If there is more than one witnesses, let it go to a vote. Democracy rules. If after dispatching it, wait for CO's or RCMP and let them decide how to handle it after the fact. If they were stupid enough to charge you or were it me then I would like my day in court. One piece of evidence I will produce it a rat glue strip. On the back it says to dispatch as soon as possible. Now if it says that on a rat glue strip and an animal is obviously suffering then you did the humane thing. Call the SPCA as a witness too. You also did it as safely as possible. I'd go with extenuating circumstances. Speaking of which, Some years ago a person was stung by a wasp and had an allergy to it, They had been drinking and wouldn't ya know it they got an impaired charge. The judge dismissed the case due to extenuating circumstances. That defense can be used for multiple things.

vegan22
03-28-2018, 07:27 PM
A peace officer has a lot of discretion in most cases and while most would see the logic of someone shooting
an injured animal in a time, manner and place not likely to be unsafe, there are a few out there that would make sure
you were really sorry for your well meaning, humanitarian efforts. If you don't know the peace officers likely to
attend, or learn of your actions, I would advise caution. There are those out there who like to push the rules, if
necessary, to punish "offenders." The process is the punishment, after all.

LYKTOHUNT
03-28-2018, 08:51 PM
No no I practice a lot I'm a good shot ;-)
Ha Ha thats a good one

swampthing
03-30-2018, 08:18 AM
About 30 years back while traveling the highway near Grand Forks I came across a couple stopped vehicles and a young buck with a busted back end struggling in the middle of the road. I pulled out my truck gun, told the people to step back and safely dispatched the suffering buck. Drug it off the road and drove away. The people watching were all in shock over this, but, they all knew it was the right thing to do.

fluffybuffalo71
10-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Seriously? So you'd pull out your rifle on a highway and shoot an injured deer as people drive by? Obviously you're a Conservation officer, because that's the only people that are allowed to do that. The moral thing would be to end its suffering, the legal thing to do is to call a C.O. and tell him/her the situation. They'll occasionally let you take the animal, but don't assume you can take it. A police office generally does not have the knowledge to dispatch an animal properly. Call the RAPP # and get a hold of an officer, any other option can lead to all kinds of trouble.

kolofardos
10-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Pretty funny. In a lot of cases, the response will be a matter of days, not hours.

Big Lew
10-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Many years ago while driving a company truck with logos all over it, I came upon some stopped cars
and a very badly injured and busted up raccoon that a lady had hit with her car. I took out a big heavy
bar and asked the witnesses if they had a problem with me humanely putting it out of it's misery. All
were in favour...except the emotionally distraught lady that had hit it. She was hysterical and wanted to
bundle it up and take it to a vet hospital which was many miles away. The situation became very heated
between that woman and all the other witnesses. I had to walk away because of the logos on my truck.
I expect that coon likely died on the way, but even if it made it to the hospital no vet could have saved it.
It probably suffered for quite some time needlessly.

Quiet Hunter
10-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Many years ago while driving a company truck with logos all over it, I came upon some stopped cars
and a very badly injured and busted up raccoon that a lady had hit with her car. I took out a big heavy
bar and asked the witnesses if they had a problem with me humanely putting it out of it's misery. All
were in favour...except the emotionally distraught lady that had hit it. She was hysterical and wanted to
bundle it up and take it to a vet hospital which was many miles away. The situation became very heated
between that woman and all the other witnesses. I had to walk away because of the logos on my truck.
I expect that coon likely died on the way, but even if it made it to the hospital no vet could have saved it.
It probably suffered for quite some time needlessly.

That's horrible. Some people are just to emotional. Poor racoon

digger dogger
10-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Seriously? So you'd pull out your rifle on a highway and shoot an injured deer as people drive by? Obviously you're a Conservation officer, because that's the only people that are allowed to do that. The moral thing would be to end its suffering, the legal thing to do is to call a C.O. and tell him/her the situation. They'll occasionally let you take the animal, but don't assume you can take it. A police office generally does not have the knowledge to dispatch an animal properly. Call the RAPP # and get a hold of an officer, any other option can lead to all kinds of trouble.

Only took ya about 1.5 yrs to respond. March/2018
;-)

Huntingtyler123
10-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Once on campus at Bcit in Vancouver there was a bunch of commotion and people gathered. I went over and crows were attacking/pecking at two baby birds on the side walk. The baby birds bodies were mangled and torn apart, part of the neck hanging off the other. I told the people I will put them out of there misery because they were suffering and going to die. So I did it, then the bcit guard eventually arrives and writes me up for it saying it’s a warning and if next time I’d be kicked out lmao. Needless to say I was pissed off at him and told him to get lost.

Dour
10-12-2019, 07:18 PM
If you call the local co. You can ask for a pass to keep the animal You don’t have to punch your tag But you have to butcher it your self And can’t give it away. The co will come to the animal if he/she is near by and deal with it Bang bang. Or they can say no leave it It’s best to call first!!! If the animal is 45feet 15m off center line on most highways in bc shoot it .Just make sure you are not on a 400 m shooting zone highway

GreyDog
10-13-2019, 09:51 AM
I will say that in similar situation, a deer with broken back beside a public road, I pulled out a rifle and shot the deer. Before I shot it, one bystander said, "It's illegal for you to shoot the deer". I said, "Bummer. Plug your ears", then shot the deer in the head. It was the right thing to do. Response time for a CO here is likely to be well over an hour with three hours being pretty normal and I felt I was just as competent to do the job as anyone else was likely to be so I did.
A couple of years previously, I had run over a deer with my pickup and had to finish her off with a framing hammer. After that, I kept a rifle behind the seat most of the time for this sort of situation. GD

tigrr
10-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Where is the like button for this post?

That sounds like BS, most deer shot by hunters that live longer than a second with their hearts intact will have stress hormones coursing through their entire body. Hell all the animals in the factory food meat system are awash in stress hormones before they die. With a road accident deer I would be more worried about the guts being smashed and tainting the meat than 'stress hormones'.

white moose
10-13-2019, 09:34 PM

People with the thinking like you would create the all kinds of trouble you speak of. Do the right thing and end the suffering and carry on, no need to notify the whole world about. Lol

hawk-i
10-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Cutting its throat with a knife might get you much more than you bargained for....its a wild animal and its not looking for compassion.

Legal implications of shooting it might get you much more than you bargained for too.

Calling the authorities and letting them deal with it is probably the best advice...unfortunate but a reality in this day and age!