PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Reaction to Wolf Cape

skibum
11-04-2015, 03:19 PM
When I brought home a fresh wolf cape (2-3 hours after kill) my dog took a sniff of the the garage and would have nothing to do with entering it.

Wife said that he put off that smell when he gets really frightened. I think the cape still might of had some panic pheromone on it.

Anybody else have this experience with their dogs?

Xenomorph
11-04-2015, 03:52 PM
When I brought home a fresh wolf cape (2-3 hours after kill) my dog took a sniff of the the garage and would have nothing to do with entering it.

Wife said that he put off that smell when he gets really frightened. I think the cape still might of had some panic pheromone on it.

Anybody else have this experience with their dogs?

How big is your dog, what breed?

brutus
11-04-2015, 03:58 PM
lol the smell of death will do that to dogs,horse ,catle.wolf put the fear of god in all off them(killing machines aka serial killers of the wild)

skibum
11-04-2015, 04:09 PM
How big is your dog, what breed?

100lb lab/golden cross - one year old

300rum700
11-04-2015, 04:11 PM
That's pretty much every reaction I've seen from a dog smelling a wolf. Dead or not if they smell wolf they usually tuck tail and want nothing to do with it.

Foxton Gundogs
11-04-2015, 04:12 PM
100lb lab/golden cross - one year old

Smart dog I'd say

Xenomorph
11-04-2015, 04:31 PM
That's pretty much every reaction I've seen from a dog smelling a wolf. Dead or not if they smell wolf they usually tuck tail and want nothing to do with it.

100/120 Lbs Romanian Shepherd dogs, they are used to kill the wolves and protect the sheep herds from brown bears and wolves. But they're big, almost Irish Wolfhound height with a molossus body type. Some say wolves were used in making of the breed, and the head really looks wolfish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpathian_Shepherd_Dog

GoatGuy
11-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Normally reaction. Most dogs are terrified of wolves.

huntinnewbie
11-04-2015, 05:16 PM
I remember setting up camp off Hwy 1 near Alexandria Bridge in the old rest stop. We were just stopped for a quick overnighter. Was outside after dark and a wold howled rather close by. My yellow lab female ducked under the motorhome in a blink of an eye and it took much coaxing to get her out and into the motorhome. She was terrified.

skibum
11-04-2015, 05:45 PM
I thought it might because of some warning pheromone on the cape (took two shots)

Weird that dogs would have some inherent fear of wolves, save the protection breeds mentioned.

albravo2
11-04-2015, 06:01 PM
i brought a wolf hide home a month ago and the dogs were curious, but not particularly fussed. It was a smaller wolf bitch, wonder if that had something to do with it.

Another time, wolves were howling around us, they were very fearful.

finngun
11-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Play wolf howling to ya doggy from y tube,,,real wolf is coming out of ya doggy..deep,,deep inside he,,she is still a wolf..:redface:

adriaticum
11-04-2015, 08:08 PM
My dog wants to rip a fox scarf I have apart

rides bike to work
11-04-2015, 08:25 PM
It's always funny when I bring a deer home the dog is like nervous,nervous,nervous ,and mabey ill eat it ,and yes I will eat it.

IslandBC
11-04-2015, 08:49 PM
My old dog Akita/ coon hound would go ape shit when I brought a bear home. Bark and run around. Sniff the hide. Piss every where... Was the weirdest thing

~T-BONE~
11-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Take a dog into a taxi shop! Now that's funny! Especially going in with their nose down getting into the middle of it all lifting there head and freaking right out at the sight of All the game! Running into stuff on the way out with tail between their legs lol..

Ozone
11-04-2015, 09:03 PM
A old family friend had a beautiful silver tip grizz he had to keep in a box in the basement for 8 years till his dog passed. Every once in awhile he would bring the box up and the dog would just lose his mind.

Salty
11-04-2015, 09:10 PM
I thought it might because of some warning pheromone on the cape (took two shots)

Weird that dogs would have some inherent fear of wolves, save the protection breeds mentioned.

Being that dogs are pretty much automatically prey for wolves on sight its a healthy fear. One of those 6th sense things maybe..

Xenomorph
11-04-2015, 09:17 PM

Natural instinct and let's face it, they do get eaten by wolves sometimes. My grandpa lost a pair one winter, the wolf pack just came down, killed them in the yard and ate them. All he managed to find that morning were bits and pieces of them. Now, one on one, or usually more as the shepherds normally have 6-12 dogs with them, well, then they're formidable.

My last dog before leaving Transylvania was like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucovina_Shepherd_Dog
and I swear the ******* was 200lbs :). I'm 6'2" and he'd get on his hind legs and put his paws on my shoulder and we'd be eye level.
Best dog ever.