PDA

View Full Version : legal or not????? X2! !

Tree Climber
11-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Is it legal or illegal to call for game to locate?

Tree Climber
11-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Is it legal or illegal to call for game to locate?
At night or after hours

guntech
11-03-2015, 11:05 PM
I always rub a penny while chanting "here moosey, here moosey". Works every year.

Perhaps you should post a more detailed question. What do you want to do?

Bear Brawler
11-03-2015, 11:17 PM
They sell calls for everything. It's a big part of the game, calling Elk and waiting for a response, or bugling in a bull moose.

Bugle M In
11-03-2015, 11:39 PM
I don't think there is a rule that states you can't "Call Game" after legal shooting times.
Call all you want in my opinion, just don't shoot before legal shooting time.
I recall other hunters state that they hike in early before 1st light to an area they want to hunt.
And if it's still not legal to shoot, they still will bugle, let's say for Elk, just to see if they get responses or maybe
to draw in elk, so as to shoot at legal times.
I might be wrong?.

Mulehahn
11-04-2015, 12:00 AM
I have heard of Moose hunters calling throughout the night. I have heard elk hunters bugle before dawn also. Don't believe there is a law against it, outside of a national park that is. What would you be charged with?

okas
11-04-2015, 06:11 AM
nothing better than playing around calling just before bed time then hunt right from camp

boxhitch
11-04-2015, 06:40 AM
1-900-MooseMates is completely legal , I checked

longleader
11-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Offhand, without checking, I believe you can't use an electronic calling device, at least for big game. So you can't take your boom box out into the bush and run your moose calling tapes through it.

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Same answer every time on the "hunting at night" question:

hunt & hunting - includes shooting at,
attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following
after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying
in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of
those things, whether or not the wildlife is then
or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:
(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b)while in possession of a firearm or other
weapon.

skibum
11-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Are you allowed to do those things, just not discharge a fire arm before legal shooting hours? I usually am in way before legal shooting time (and end up sitting for hours), I would be lying in wait for wildlife wouldn't I?

Okay I do end up throwing the odd rock at the stupid does that wheeze and don't leave before light up

Bugle M In
11-04-2015, 12:18 PM

weapon.

So. if my interpretation is correct...
you can "not" call during the "after legal hours of shooting".
Correct??...sorry, I'm starting to get those Senior moments...I'm close to 50 now:D

Davey Crockett
11-04-2015, 01:32 PM
So. if my interpretation is correct...
you can "not" call during the "after legal hours of shooting".
Correct??...sorry, I'm starting to get those Senior moments...I'm close to 50 now:D

I would say correct, you cannot call outside of 'legal shooting light' if you are hunting as per above. The conditions in a and b are the key. The regs on page 15, #30 refer to hunting (not shooting) being prohibited except between 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hr after sunset.

wideopenthrottle
11-04-2015, 01:54 PM
so, is it illegal to shine your headlights (at night) into a farm field below the hill you plan on hunting the next morning just to see what might come up your way?

Davey Crockett
11-04-2015, 06:35 PM
so, is it illegal to shine your headlights (at night) into a farm field below the hill you plan on hunting the next morning just to see what might come up your way?

Maybe. You might fit the definition of "hunting" if you are in possession of a firearm. It depends on the definition of possession.

Bugle M In
11-04-2015, 07:07 PM

Depends...do you have a "Status Card"???
If not, than just about anything you do before and after legal times is illegal...lol.

dbergen69
11-04-2015, 07:08 PM

weapon.

It would be interesting to ask a co about this. If you take the definition literally as it is written it is also illegal to scout before the season opens or hike in and wait in the dark.

caddisguy
11-04-2015, 07:19 PM
It would be interesting to ask a co about this. If you take the definition literally as it is written it is also illegal to scout before the season opens or hike in and wait in the dark.

If you hike into your spot in the dark, you are lying in wait for light, not animals. Once it is one hour before sunrise, then you are looking for animals.

And scouting before the season is fine. If you are packing a firearm I would recommend a defender type shotty but even packing a rifle, you aren't necessarily looking for animals when scouting. You might be checking out terrain, looking for sheds, etc.

Buckmeister
11-04-2015, 07:53 PM
If you hike into your spot in the dark, you are lying in wait for light, not animals. Once it is one hour before sunrise, then you are looking for animals.

And scouting before the season is fine. If you are packing a firearm I would recommend a defender type shotty but even packing a rifle, you aren't necessarily looking for animals when scouting. You might be checking out terrain, looking for sheds, etc.

An in regards to the "off season", there are certain animals that are open to hunt/kill all year long. (ie: no closed season)