PDA

View Full Version : Gambier Hunt Success

sailpunk
11-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Well after four years I finally had success. I took my sailboat to Gambier Island BC in MU2-16. I tied up to a series of docks tied to pillings in port graves. I spent the evening in the cabin cooking dinner and prepping my gear. With the cabin heater blaring I went to bed in the cozy warm cabin.

Dark and early I got ready. I put my gear on and grabbed my Remington 700 win-mag 300 and in the dinghy i rowed ashore. I spent the morning working up the west side of Port Graves and the steep and winding trails into Centre Bay. It was a hard slog but I saw nothing besides light sign.

I worked my way back over the steep and plunging terrain back to port graves. At the ridge line I saw my boat being dragged over to a private dock by a commercial boat. No sooner had I reached the dinghy then I got a call, I had left my number on the boat. I was
told by them it was okay that they tie it to a private dock at the north end of the island.

Getting back to the boat at noon I spent the time warming up by the heater eating a hot lunch and watching a movie. In th afternoon I stalked through the private land in was in. I worked my way east of Camp Attarbaan into crown land on the edge of private land and was getting dark and I was working a tree line when I saw 2 does In the field. They heard me step on a twig and sprinted away.

A juvinnile male (bigger than the does) paused. At 90 meters I leveled my rifle and without taking the time to zoom in with my scope I fired. I missed. The buck made three bounds into the woods. Chambering a new round I skirted the private land making my way to the game trail on the far side.

I worked around the field I was surprised to find the buck dead in front of me. The shot was perfect. Both lungs punctured with frothy blood about. As twighlight set I set about the animal and removed the head and guts. It was then a 3km trek across 3 ditches, 2 fences, 1 road and rea a barking dog that brought me to the sea. dragging was awful

it was pitch black and I dragged the carcass to the waterline in the northeast bay in port graves. Luckily I found a derelict canoe and paddle the deer back to my boat. After hanging the deer from the mast I took the canoe back. At this point it was late and I fired up the heater and I watched some movies while eating a warm diner.

In in the morning I butchered the deer and packed it referring to YouTube the whole way. 45 lbs rendered

The Dawg
11-03-2015, 12:12 AM
Well after four years I finally had success. I took my sailboat to Gambier Island BC in MU2-16. I tied up to a series of docks tied to pillings in port graves. I spent the evening in the cabin cooking dinner and prepping my gear. With the cabin heater blaring I went to bed in the cozy warm cabin.

Dark and early I got ready. I put my gear on and grabbed my Remington 700 win-mag 300 and in the dinghy i rowed ashore. I spent the morning working up the west side of Port Graves and the steep and winding trails into Centre Bay. It was a hard slog but I saw nothing besides light sign.

I worked my way back over the steep and plunging terrain back to port graves. At the ridge line I saw my boat being dragged over to a private dock by a commercial boat. No sooner had I reached the dinghy then I got a call, I had left my number on the boat. I was
told by them it was okay that they tie it to a private dock at the north end of the island.

Getting back to the boat at noon I spent the time warming up by the heater eating a hot lunch and watching a movie. In th afternoon I stalked through the private land in was in. I worked my way east of Camp Attarbaan into crown land on the edge of private land and was getting dark and I was working a tree line when I saw 2 does In the field. They heard me step on a twig and sprinted away.

A juvinnile male (bigger than the does) paused. At 90 meters I leveled my rifle and without taking the time to zoom in with my scope I fired. I missed. The buck made three bounds into the woods. Chambering a new round I skirted the private land making my way to the game trail on the far side.

I worked around the field I was surprised to find the buck dead in front of me. The shot was perfect. Both lungs punctured with frothy blood about. As twighlight set I set about the animal and removed the head and guts. It was then a 3km trek across 3 ditches, 2 fences, 1 road and rea a barking dog that brought me to the sea. dragging was awful

it was pitch black and I dragged the carcass to the waterline in the northeast bay in port graves. Luckily I found a derelict canoe and paddle the deer back to my boat. After hanging the deer from the mast I took the canoe back. At this point it was late and I fired up the heater and I watched some movies while eating a warm diner.

In in the morning I butchered the deer and packed it referring to YouTube the whole way. 45 lbs rendered

I says pardon?

Muliechaser
11-03-2015, 08:33 PM
I says pardon?

Yessss . Me too .

Whonnock Boy
11-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Sounds like an adventurous way to go for a hunt. Don't know about the legalities of it though.

Daybreak
11-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Can't imagine how the hippies and tree huggers on Gambier would respond to a 300 WM in their backyard. That's a lot of rifle for Gambier deer. Glad you came out unscathed with your deer.

Bugle M In
11-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Sounds like an adventurous way to go for a hunt. Don't know about the legalities of it though.

Are u saying this is a "bow only" zone??
If so, than all I can say is ..."oops".

Bugle M In
11-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Nope, looks like it was a green light!
Yup, must of woken up the "hippies" alright !
That canoe trip might have been the ticket to getting out of there unscathed as "Daybreak" alluded to.
Congrats

Whonnock Boy
11-03-2015, 10:12 PM
No, I'm commenting in regards to the stalking through private land. Could be a grey area....

Salty
11-03-2015, 10:14 PM
His boat was moved to a private dock obviously kosher with local folk by phone conversation he then needs to cross said private land to go hunting, relax HBC ... Things work a little different on the rural coast sometimes. Congrats on your first deer sailpunk :)

Wentrot
11-03-2015, 10:16 PM
To many fake detectives. Nice work!

M.Dean
11-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Good job Sailpunk! And from the sounds of it, you worked hard for that Buck! And Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt with us! Congrats!

Whonnock Boy
11-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Aaaahhh for sure. There would be a few phone calls to the CO's and or RCMP if someone was caught stalking through private land here. Carry on....

His boat was moved to a private dock obviously kosher with local folk by phone conversation he then needs to cross said private land to go hunting, relax HBC ... Things work a little different on the rural coast sometimes. Congrats on your first deer sailpunk :)

nazarow
11-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Thanks for sharing the story! Congrats!

Husky7mm
11-04-2015, 07:40 AM
Sounds like a good adventure, I would use a frame pack next time, its much easier to carry a deboned deer than to drag it. Oh and maybe a smaller rifle, but to each there own.
Just think about how many other islands there are to hunt and explore, happy hunting.

.308SLAYER
11-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Why would you delete my post because i said you need to check for blood before assuming you missed a deer its hunting buddy this is why so many deer are left in the woods

.308SLAYER
11-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Boom oh i missed carry on with my hunt really?? Never gonna learn if no one tells you shoot straight cheers

Salty
11-04-2015, 09:47 AM
You look at sanctimonious (and against our rules) posts like this ^ and its no wonder less and less people post about their hunts here. Mods feel free to delete this if you clean this up thx.

Ricky Bobby
11-04-2015, 10:31 AM
What a joke. Gambier has LOTS of private that people want hunters on. I love the willingness to hang guys out to dry without the most basic level of information.

Perhaps that why nobody post photos or hunts anymore? Naaa... the arm chair critics can't be wrong. Good Job to all the wonderfully critical and accusatory guys who seem to spend more time sitting behind their computer than doing anything else.

Good job on the deer, come farther up the coast, lots of deer on the islands up here.

steveo
11-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Why would you delete my post because i said you need to check for blood before assuming you missed a deer its hunting buddy this is why so many deer are left in the woods
Not sure exactly what you are saying with your response, I am to understand that your hunting experience has lead you to witness dead animals all over the place and you can tell by looking at them that it was done by someone like the poster who if anything might need a tiny bit of polishing on their hunting skills. Sounds like a successful hunt and possibly learned a lesson or two. If you were taking a position of a mentor good for you but just take into mind that with typed language it may be hard to know where you are coming from with out the benefit of body language and speaking tone, just a thought.

gunsandhoses
11-04-2015, 03:27 PM

Great post - well done on taking that deer - 45LBS of tasty - organically grown meat - ENJOY!

BTW - Take the BS with a pinch of salt, some mothers still breed them regrettably!

westnuck
11-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Sounds like an awesome hunt, I would love to see a pic of a deer hanging from the sail boat mast, would be quite the sight. good job.

wideopenthrottle
11-04-2015, 03:36 PM
sounds like you were determined and innovative, worked hard and were rewarded..all the things that make for a "hunt to remember"

Xenomorph
11-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Great story/hunt

Great post - well done on taking that deer - 45LBS of tasty - organically grown meat - ENJOY!

BTW - Take the BS with a pinch of salt, some mothers still breed them regrettably!

Made my day :)

avadad
11-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Man that's great first deer story! You worked for that one. Welcome to the club!

sailpunk
07-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Sorry for the extremely belated update. I had life get in the way and I had no idea this post generated any drama. Let me clarify. When I say 'stalked' I meant I cut through a few acreages that had a right of way and had no intention of shooting anything on their land. I shot the deer on crown land 10m from the fence of a long derelict farm and dragged the thing across some private land late at night which I guess was bad but the one guy I encountered seemed happy I ridded a garden of a 'pest'.
On a side note I went back the same year and got another dear on the island, this time I was closer to shore.

RackStar
07-04-2016, 03:59 PM
good job!, never mind all these pecker heads and their pointless comments.
sweet story