PDA

View Full Version : Gambier Hunt Success

sailpunk
11-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Well after four years I finally had success. I took my sailboat to Gambier Island BC in MU2-16. I tied up to a series of docks tied to pillings in port graves. I spent the evening in the cabin cooking dinner and prepping my gear. With the cabin heater blaring I went to bed in the cozy warm cabin.

Dark and early I got ready. I put my gear on and grabbed my Remington 700 win-mag 300 and in the dinghy i rowed ashore. I spent the morning working up the west side of Port Graves and the steep and winding trails into Centre Bay. It was a hard slog but I saw nothing besides light sign.

I worked my way back over the steep and plunging terrain back to port graves. At the ridge line I saw my boat being dragged over to a private dock by a commercial boat. No sooner had I reached the dinghy then I got a call, I had left my number on the boat. I was
told by them it was okay that they tie it to a private dock at the north end of the island.

Getting back to the boat at noon I spent the time warming up by the heater eating a hot lunch and watching a movie. In th afternoon I stalked through the private land in was in. I worked my way east of Camp Attarbaan into crown land on the edge of private land and was getting dark and I was working a tree line when I saw 2 does In the field. They heard me step on a twig and sprinted away.

A juvinnile male (bigger than the does) paused. At 90 meters I leveled my rifle and without taking the time to zoom in with my scope I fired. I missed. The buck made three bounds into the woods. Chambering a new round I skirted the private land making my way to the game trail on the far side.

I worked around the field I was surprised to find the buck dead in front of me. The shot was perfect. Both lungs punctured with frothy blood about. As twighlight set I set about the animal and removed the head and guts. It was then a 3km trek across 3 ditches, 2 fences, 1 road and a a barking dog that brought me to the sea. dragging was awful

it was pitch black and I dragged the carcass to the waterline in the northeast bay in port graves. Luckily I found a derelict canoe and paddle the deer back to my boat. After hanging the deer from the mast I took the canoe back. At this point it was late and I fired up the heater and I watched some movies while eating a warm diner.

In in the morning I butchered the deer and packed it referring to YouTube the whole way.

two-feet
11-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Sounds like fun!

.308SLAYER
11-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Whenever you shoot at something doesnt matter if you think you got him or not it is a good practice to keep track of the exact area he was at when you pulled the trigger, and look for blood. Surely if you would have done this you would have found him instantanously. Imagine if another buck jumped out and you blasted at that one now you got 2 bucks down cause you didnt check for blood never just assume you missed cheers bud.

kennyj
11-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Great adventure.
kenny

Blainer
11-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Great share!