PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for goat

knothead
11-02-2015, 10:35 AM
So...I've decided to get in shape and geared up for goat hunting. I'm going to give myself two years to bone up on the hunt and get my gear and self in order. I've started by getting a nice pack and boots and slowly putting together and testing all of my cooking gear and other bits I need.
The problem is now I'm questioning my choice in boots and am looking for advice from other goat hunters about what they hike in.
My boots are Meindls, a great boot and I'm super happy with them so far for hunting and hiking on the coast and interior but I'm wondering if they will be good for high alpine and cold weather as they have no insulation and are a shorter boot.
So do you guys who goat use an insulated boot or just a good boot with premium socks? Best socks I have found so far are Patagonia heavyweight knee high merino hiking sock, When I bought my boots Poul at AJ Brooks told me the new technology involved in making socks means a liner sock is no longer necessary so are you guys still using a liner sock or are you finding the new socks good without the liner?
Also are you using merino socks? There great socks but I find the wool takes forever to dry out if you get wet, thoughts on this?
I do plan on doing some shorter scouting hikes to get a better idea of the real world needs for this but would appreciate some input from the old hands to help shorten up my learning curve.

Sharpish
11-02-2015, 10:44 AM
My advice would be a fairly tall boot with a lot of stiffness through the ankle. The Meindl's that I have seen are good for mountaineering. When you are scrambling though really broken terrain it's important to support your ankle. Rolling an ankle halfway up a mountain would suck and could put you in a dangerous situation.

ryanb
11-02-2015, 11:01 AM
A good standard height hiking boot is all you need, sounds like your Meindls are this. You don't need the high boots or the insulated boots. I have had them and quickly went back to a typical hiking boot. My boot of choice these days is a Scarpa Kinesis pro...but lots of other brands are just as good.

If you are going to get a new boot, try on lots of different boots. They all fit a bit different and the shape of your foot will dictate what's best for you. Don't settle for anything less than a perfect fit.

Nothing beats a good Merino sock. Liner socks are good to prevent blisters, but if your boot fits properly they shouldn't be needed.

ditch donkey
11-02-2015, 11:10 AM
I also started goat hunting this year and went out and bought the hanwag yukon 6 inch uninsulated boots. And as previously posted ankle support is huge especially in boulderfields and side hilling. i found my 6 inch boots worked great but i might go with 8 inch boots if I were to do it again. as far as being uninsulated boots I wore good merino socks and didnt have any issue with warmth. we had -4 ish temperatures on our trip near the end of oct.

ditch donkey
11-02-2015, 11:15 AM
i also recommend trekking poles or a solid walking stick of some kind. I brought a walking stick and my partner did not. After packing our goat off the mountain my partner said he wouldnt go again without one. just having a third point to distribute weight and balance was key while going up and down steep areas and boulderfields.

knothead
11-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input on the boots, sounds like I'm okay with the what I've got, DD I hear ya on the trekking poles and plan to pick up a pair, has anyone tried using shooting sticks of some sort as hiking poles? just wondering if there's any thing out there that are sturdy enough to be used as both?
RyanB can I ask where you bought your Skarpas? The main reason I went with Meindles is because of the customer service, I went to quite a few places and looked at and tried on quite a few boots but none of the places I visited ,with the exception of AJ Brooks, had anyone working in them that seemed knowledgable or even interested in selling me anything.

ryanb
11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I got the scarpas at Valhalla pure. They sell hanwags too which are also a nice boot.

NorBC
11-02-2015, 07:14 PM
I like to double up on socks (wool or merino).. Feet stay warm. I always pop off my boots for the stalk so the extra padding goes a long way when you're trying to sneak around in your socks.

ditch donkey
11-02-2015, 09:22 PM
the walking stick i used was a pole cat shooting stick by primos. im sure there are better options but this was what i had and it worked great.

TSW
11-02-2015, 11:36 PM
I've been a huge fan of Scarpa boots as well. I had a pair of SL's for years and they treated me very well. I recently had to replace them and shopped around pretty extensively to see what was available, and ended up going back to Scarpa--like ryanb I also went with the Kinesis Pro GTX. Lots of my friends rock the Meindl boots and love them. As far as gear I would definitely suggest a decent spotting scope if you don't already have one. You'll be grateful if you can ID a goat from a KM away. Trekking poles as mentioned are a must. Did the first several years without them, now they are non-negotiable.

knothead
11-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info DD, had a look at the stick and it looked good and a decent price so ordered one up. I appreciate the input from you guys.

troutseeker
11-03-2015, 12:50 AM
just get out there in the gear you have and hunt goats.
It's nice to get fancy stuff but it's not an essential requirement.

go hunting, have fun, kill a goat. They are a great quary.

knothead
11-03-2015, 09:46 AM
I hear ya Trout, I'm definitely trying to get my goat with as little money spent as possible, I'm far from being a rich man, but I believe there are some things that you should spend the money on for safety sake if nothing else. Boots, pack, sleeping bag and tent are things I would never go cheap on as these things will keep you alive if things go south.
That being said I'm giving myself almost two years to get ready so I have time to look for the best deals I can find on the best equipment I can afford. I'm that person that prefers to take the hit and spend once for the good stuff(and I want that time to get my body in shape for the trip anyways).

knothead
11-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Another question I have for the alpine hikers, are you using insulated outerwear or going with a shell and layers. Currently I'm using Sitka gear, cloudburst jacket and pants which are a shell. Should I add some insulated outerwear? I guess time of year will have something to do with what you chose? Am I asking ridiculously newbe questions :)

warnniklz
11-03-2015, 11:11 AM
When I first started my gear list looked something like this...

Asolo Granite GTX boots (were amazing at first. But later in the season all the glue came undone and stitching blew apart)

Asolo Trekker 70L backpack
(Got it to travell after grad. Held all my gear but heaaaavy)

My dad's old nylon pup tent he use to use.
My dads 30 power Weaver spotting scope from the 80s
Just my regular old hunting clothes.
Did buy a neo air sleep pad and thermarest haven sleeping bag though.

Now I'm on my Eberlestock Dragonfly J107M pack. (Still want to uprade from here)
Vortex spotting scope
Msr Hubba Hubba Tent
Scarpa Kenisis Pro GTX boots (love em)

When I upgraded my spotting scope... life became so much more pleasant.

knothead
11-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Yeah a spotting scope is on my big ticket list, gonna have to save my shekels for that one. Spending 4-500 not such a big pill to swallow but the two grand or so for a spotting scopes a tough but I believe necessary one. I'm sure you can get a goat with a cheapy but so much more comfortable looking through good glass, and I'm old enough now that I like to have my comforts. :smile:

warnniklz
11-03-2015, 12:36 PM
I think mine was in the 500-700 dollar range. Prices may have gone up with the american dollar and all. But I can go from this
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/981764_10153025462000387_1619227592_o.jpg?efg=eyJp IjoidCJ9

TO THIS
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/1097168_10153161089595387_1175925147_o.jpg?efg=eyJ pIjoidCJ9

Pinewood
11-03-2015, 08:07 PM
What pack did you get? I just bought a EXO 5500. It carries a load unbelievably well.

knothead
11-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Pinewood, I'm using a Mystery Ranch pack, a little heavy but I know it will make it there and back with my goat :lol:, I'll just have to try to shave lbs. elsewhere. That EXO is a nice looking pack, first time I've seen those.

Warnniklz, that a pretty good view with the Vortex, have you looked through the pricier scopes, does another grand really make that much difference?

warnniklz
11-04-2015, 12:01 AM
I've used swarvos while looking at moose. But haven't compared them side by side