PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate find today

Hartley1992
11-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Was out yesterday for the last day of any buck and today for 4 point , as usual was walking the thick timber not seeing lots a couple does every so often . Was hunting one area pretty hard that I have been working pretty hard lately , just circling all day covering everywhere I could when I started to smell and hear the Ravens going crazy . I assumed it was a gut pile since I was hearing a few gun shots fairly close to me . I creeped up to get a better look and stumbled upon this guy it's sad to see , not sure how hard who ever shot this guy looked but he was laying in a pretty open area with little cover , I spotted it from 80 yards away .

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/taylorhartley19/Mobile%20Uploads/990F5E80-CCD5-40FF-B10F-A3A45E911CAD.jpg (http://s836.photobucket.com/user/taylorhartley19/media/Mobile%20Uploads/990F5E80-CCD5-40FF-B10F-A3A45E911CAD.jpg.html)

300rum700
11-01-2015, 09:10 PM
How do you know it was shot?

Hartley1992
11-01-2015, 09:13 PM
No expert or anything but had what looking like an exit wound coming from the opposite side of the chest cavity

Hartley1992
11-01-2015, 09:14 PM
And I had heard from another guy up there , that there was a group up a few weeks ago who hadn't found a couple bucks that they shot at

toad
11-01-2015, 09:41 PM
I do care.......

Hartley1992
11-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm not loosing sleep over it lol just posting something from this weekends hunt , would of liked to see a buck that was moving haha

Coachman
11-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Good post. Sad picture, but a good reminder to make every effort you can to locate what you shoot at... Regardless of how this animal died.

sakohunter
11-01-2015, 10:46 PM
With more hunters in the bush, I would imagine that we will see more and more of this. It is really sad to find a fine animal wasted!

Sofa King
11-01-2015, 10:56 PM
I saw a truck pull through the area on Friday, he stopped got out and took a shot, I'm assuming he saw a deer, and then it didn't go down so he continued on, then he made his way farther down the cut, and he did this again. then he made his way around the back from where I was and awhile later, a third shot.
it didn't look like he was sighting in or anything, totally looked like he spotted deer and tried a shot at them.
shitty thing is he seemed to just assume he missed and he carried on, never went to check for blood or anything.
and even if he missed, maybe that's a sign to go sight your gun in to prevent bad shots.

5HORTY
11-02-2015, 12:37 AM
I saw a truck pull through the area on Friday, he stopped got out and took a shot, I'm assuming he saw a deer, and then it didn't go down so he continued on, then he made his way farther down the cut, and he did this again. then he made his way around the back from where I was and awhile later, a third shot.
it didn't look like he was sighting in or anything, totally looked like he spotted deer and tried a shot at them.
shitty thing is he seemed to just assume he missed and he carried on, never went to check for blood or anything.
and even if he missed, maybe that's a sign to go sight your gun in to prevent bad shots.

Did you report this???

pnbrock
11-02-2015, 07:20 AM
didn't look like it was going to waste to me!!

muleychaser
11-02-2015, 09:53 AM
What area was this in?

okas
11-02-2015, 10:37 AM
i end up playing when on a hunting trip as it is a 8 week camping and fishing trip .. with my baby girl coon hound we find a lot of this .. i do not report anything any more as the COs are bad at listening and try reporting a forest fire .. hello i am helping you guys out here anyone listening.

Fisher-Dude
11-02-2015, 10:41 AM

You see lots of things, it seems.

steveo
11-02-2015, 10:47 AM
To my knowledge there is no law that is punishable from not finding game that was shot or discharging a firearm in the bush so I am not sure anything positive is going to come of reporting these things.

Wentrot
11-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Did you report this???

Report what? Jesus

Xenomorph
11-02-2015, 01:42 PM
To my knowledge there is no law that is punishable from not finding game that was shot or discharging a firearm in the bush so I am not sure anything positive is going to come of reporting these things.

Report what? Jesus

Say someone takes a shot, doesn't check, but the animal is down. Say someone takes a shot, bad shot, gut shot, and sniffs and pouts and walks away... that's pretty much poaching, no tag was cut, nothing.

If there was bullet contact and no tag cut, CO would be able to make a valid charge.

I'm sorry, if you're road hunting at least move your fat ass into the bush to check for blood and make sure and it's no waste. Enough with this immature crap.

rocksteady
11-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Say someone takes a shot, doesn't check, but the animal is down. Say someone takes a shot, bad shot, gut shot, and sniffs and pouts and walks away... that's pretty much poaching, no tag was cut, nothing.

If there was bullet contact and no tag cut, CO would be able to make a valid charge.

I'm sorry, if you're road hunting at least move your fat ass into the bush to check for blood and make sure and it's no waste. Enough with this immature crap.

Nothing illegal, maybe immoral, unethical but nothing illegal..

steveo
11-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Using common sense and talking facts will get you no where with some people around here Rocksteady.

Fisher-Dude
11-02-2015, 02:38 PM

That's not what the regs say:

Retrieval
No person shall kill, cripple or wound game without making all
reasonable effort to retrieve and include it in his/her bag limit. The
retrieved game shall be killed immediately and included in the hunter’s
bag limit

Elkaholic
11-02-2015, 03:06 PM
But you are assuming that the deer this said person shot at actually got shot, you know for sure they were shot? If nothing was hit, its not illegal.

Xenomorph
11-02-2015, 03:06 PM

Retrieval
bag limit

Thank you, I am not the only one reading the regs.

But you are assuming that the deer this said person shot at actually got shot, you know for sure they were shot? If nothing was hit, its not illegal.

If someone sees something like Steveo witnessed, retrieves the animal, truck license and CO puts in the effort to match caliber to gun, the shooter can and will be charged with poaching.

Elkaholic
11-02-2015, 03:21 PM
If someone sees something like Steveo witnessed, retrieves the animal, truck license and CO puts in the effort to match caliber to gun, the shooter can and will be charged with poaching.

Given that situation yes, but just idle speculation that the said person shot the animal and reporting it is what I was talking about. Knowing and assuming are two very different situations.

steveo
11-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Sorry Xenomorhp, I didn't witness anything. To clarify things for you I was referring to Sofa Kings post where he says he assumes this and that and has no details to report about something illegal that may not have happened. I don't think COs would have even responded to such a situation with such a lack of detailed info.

rocksteady
11-02-2015, 03:45 PM

Retrieval
bag limit

You are ASSUMING the bullet found its mark. For a ll you know the guy is a crappy shot and missed every time. Nothing to report.

steveo
11-02-2015, 04:08 PM
It would be interesting to know how compelling the definition " reasonable effort " is in the assistance of convictions about non-retrieval of game.

KodiakHntr
11-02-2015, 04:18 PM

Bullet contact? What is it you are trying to say with this statement?

Xenomorph
11-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Sorry Xenomorhp, I didn't witness anything. To clarify things for you I was referring to Sofa Kings post where he says he assumes this and that and has no details to report about something illegal that may not have happened. I don't think COs would have even responded to such a situation with such a lack of detailed info.

Absolutely, had you just called in and reported that for sure, for all one knows he was "sighting in". But, had you been in a vantage point seeing the animal, A animal, go down, or walk down the path and stumbled upon a shot deer as the genius kept "sighting in" ...you could have all grounds to make a call ..or cut a tag and bring the buck home :P

You are ASSUMING the bullet found its mark. For a ll you know the guy is a crappy shot and missed every time. Nothing to report.

I agree, I elaborated on my reasoning behind the "possible and reasonable"...

It would be interesting to know how compelling the definition " reasonable effort " is in the assistance of convictions about non-retrieval of game.

All it takes is to be charged, from the moment they match the bullet to the gun the onus for the "reasonable effort" is on the hunter, not the Crown. Think about the adorable GOS :) ...if a guided hunter takes a shot and misses, hunt is over, consumed, tag is cut ...oh, you missed, sir?!? Sorry 'bout that! Maybe next time.

You mentioned earlier his rifle might be off, true enough, buck jumps and bolts, but let's face it, we've all been there and missed. I still went in and double checked, 20-30 yards radius around the shot place just to make sure I missed. Call it responsible, call it a keener ...I think we all have that responsibility once the shot has been fired.

steveo
11-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Xenamorph, I am trying to put in a " reasonable effort " communicating with you but I am at a total stand still.

Xenomorph
11-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Xenamorph, I am trying to put in a " reasonable effort " communicating with you but I am at a total stand still.

Sorry bud, might be the meds ...just been in a crash and I might be a little too talkative today.

BRvalley
11-02-2015, 04:52 PM
It's an unfortunate find, that much is certain...anything else is speculation

I have shot at and missed twice at big game now in my hunting career, I feel confident they were clean misses

In terms of reasonable efforts, I hope I don't ever lose an animal, knowing I hit it and found blood but can't track him down...but things in the field are different than at the bench, and that is just part of hunting...I always carry my GPS on me, I'd hope my track would prove my reasonable efforts...I'll be sure to save my track if I am ever in that situation

rocksteady
11-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Sorry bud, might be the meds ...just been in a crash and I might be a little too talkative today.

You are not the first to post stuff on HBC whole under the influence. Good luck in healing.

steveo
11-02-2015, 04:55 PM
No worries Xenamorph, just tried to put a little humour in the situation, couldn't figure out where I was losing you, he, he.

Xenomorph
11-02-2015, 04:59 PM
You lost me at shot, buck, forest. I'm already thinking of the weekend.

jeff341
11-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Possibly this carcass was moved by a larger predator? Maybe it wasn't always in the open..

Ltbullken
11-03-2015, 09:52 AM

Friggin' incredible! A few hunters can make it look bad for the rest of us...

timberhunter
11-03-2015, 10:25 PM
So far this year I have found 3 moose shot and left. And one mule doe. All with holes in them.
Called the Rapp line. Still waiting for a call back from the CO's.
I called it in over 2 weeks ago. Told the guy on the Rapp line this was the third moose I had found. Still no response. I found the doe last weekend. No sense phoning when they don't respond when you say you have found 3 dead moose.
My opinion anyways.

Xenomorph
11-03-2015, 10:57 PM
So far this year I have found 3 moose shot and left. And one mule doe. All with holes in them.
Called the Rapp line. Still waiting for a call back from the CO's.
I called it in over 2 weeks ago. Told the guy on the Rapp line this was the third moose I had found. Still no response. I found the doe last weekend. No sense phoning when they don't respond when you say you have found 3 dead moose.
My opinion anyways.

Faack, what a waste.

Bugle M In
11-03-2015, 11:34 PM
were the moose legal to be shot, at that time??
Or is it the case of, they didn't meet the requirements (antler size or gender)
Or is it just the case of shoot to kill!, and not for meat??
That really sucks.
It's like when I've seen 5pt bull elk rotting away during the 6pt season....
Not the time to be wasting animals like that, especially with all the wolves around knocking down so much game everywhere
these days.
RAPP and CO's can't help much in these cases, unless someone has witnessed vehicles there at the time.
But you did the right thing to report anyways.