PDA

View Full Version : advice for old hunter

bearheart
11-01-2015, 07:09 PM
I mostly hunt deer and black bear solo. Put my back out doing some fencing ( yeah, dumb move). Shot a white tail buck and thought I'd gut him and put him in the bed of my truck to take back to my buddy's barn and finish the job in comfort with the animal hanging in his barn. Problem was with my bad back an easy lift and heave was a no-no.The deer was down in an area with no trees nearby. Any suggestions on handling awkward lifts in the bush, solo.I'm in my 7th decade so brute strength alone is no longer an option, especially when my sciatica is acting up. By the way, I solved the problem by going back to his place and getting two 2x4s and using them as a ramp to drag the deer into the truck bed. Suggestions????

Blainer
11-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Sheet of plywood in box & come along

Steelpulse
11-01-2015, 07:25 PM
6 pieces, just have to gut and process in the field. Maybe one of those wheel game cart things, never used one but people do

two-feet
11-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Go the gutless method, dont know what a deer quarter weighs but it cant be that much. I hate it when my friends insist on loading their animals whole or in 1/2s, seems so barbaric! The animal needs to be skinned and broken down anyways, just skip the getting it to a barn step.

takla1
11-01-2015, 07:48 PM
no grandkids you can train and get into hunting,Or buddies that have interest?If your in your 7th decade it sure would be handy to have backup in case of any Misshap takeing place,thats not to suggest your not capable but every yr elder hunters have heart attacks/strokes ect in camp.
My Dad had a stroke 4 yrs ago up in McCleese lake ,4th day into our hunt first thing in the morning.If he had been alone im sure he wouldn't have made it out of there>.
Something to ponder anyhow

takla

Dannybuoy
11-01-2015, 07:58 PM
pull the deer to the high side of the road (rope around a tree) back truck into bank and roll deer into box of truck . I have done with a moose easy . other choice is to pull up a tree and lower into box of pick up , either is easy .

jaeger
11-01-2015, 08:45 PM
I used a game cart to get a deer out. Works great!

Ozone
11-01-2015, 08:59 PM
4:1 pulley and a sheet of plywood work well

bearheart
11-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks, so far. Much appreciated.
1. No trees around, middle of a large field in Peace country
2.Can't figure what to anchor come along with, Tacoma has a non metal box so reluctant to put any holes in it.
3. Hunting partners are hard to come by at my age.Most hunting groups seem to start with family connections. I have no nearby family.
4. Gonna try the plywood method
5. I usually do break the animal comepletly down in the field, but after the drag, gutting, leaning over in the cold, my bad back gave out.
6. Try as I might , I can't convince all the critters to be on the uphill side of a road, with an obstacle free drag path.
7. Hunt as much as you can when you are young..... thenas I age my motto is, hunt till you drop.:smile:

caves16
11-01-2015, 09:19 PM
there are plenty of jr members who would relish the opportunity to learn from a seasoned hunter like you. Maybe solo hunts need to be modified to hunting with newbies who can provide the brawn? As already mentioned, for safety reasons, hunting with others nearby makes sense.
as for your question, depending if you're hunting near logging slashes with burn piles I 'hear' that you can lash two pine poles together at the top to form a rise with a third pole to provide the stability. Tie the deer near the peak of the two poles and using rope pull it into the air. use the third pole to hold the contraption up and back your truck under and drop the deer. I also hear that you can gut it like that and pull it out easier too.
But there are plenty of jr. hunters who would join you, I bet.

Ozone
11-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Maybe something like this would work for you
http://www.chas-mac.com/Products/Feeders/easy-game-hoist.jpg

Johnny G1
11-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Still good to see you out and at it bearheart, know where you are coming from, I to would have to take a long a friend or young fellow to do the work. I found a shtey say a sheet of plywood and grunt work will get it done, a rope and pulley from the front of the box sure does help .

chromehunter
11-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Where are you located? I'm 19 years old in the peace country looking for someone to hunt with.. I have 4 years experience and just want to get to know the peace better and tactics on hunting whitetails here! Inbox me of your interested !

Gateholio
11-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Gutless method is a good option and free.

Another method is the Quick WInch http://www.quickwinch.ca/

I bought one to lift up 350lb hogs after slaughtering them. It works excellently. I'll probably use it for hunting, too.

elkhunter1
11-02-2015, 12:00 AM
EasyPeasy?
Remove top legs. Skin first Remove into cooler.
Flip over next 2 legs.
Back straps.
go after Liver Heart etc if You want.
Did 2 whitetail this method last year in one hour was driving home 64 hears old all You need is box cutters or sharp knife.
never too old getter done Organic meet in freezer will keep You young.

5HORTY
11-02-2015, 12:31 AM
there are plenty of jr members who would relish the opportunity to learn from a seasoned hunter like you. Maybe solo hunts need to be modified to hunting with newbies who can provide the brawn? As already mentioned, for safety reasons, hunting with others nearby makes sense.
as for your question, depending if you're hunting near logging slashes with burn piles I 'hear' that you can lash two pine poles together at the top to form a rise with a third pole to provide the stability. Tie the deer near the peak of the two poles and using rope pull it into the air. use the third pole to hold the contraption up and back your truck under and drop the deer. I also hear that you can gut it like that and pull it out easier too.
But there are plenty of jr. hunters who would join you, I bet.

Agree 100% as I know I would take up the opportunity to be able to learn from someone experienced/seasoned!!!

Jagermeister
11-02-2015, 12:34 AM
6 pieces, just have to gut and process in the field. Maybe one of those wheel game cart things, never used one but people doAnd speaking of one of those wheel carts. I saw a convertible one at Princess Auto in Kamloops. Doubles as one of those racks that fit into the trailer hitch receiver and comes with wheels and handles to convert it to a two wheel cart.

boxhitch
11-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Ropes and pulleys , think smart not strong.

Can't figure what to anchor come along with, Tacoma has a non metal box so reluctant to put any holes in it.The crux. Its just a truck , giver

BgBlkDg
11-02-2015, 07:21 AM

I bought one to lift up 350lb hogs after slaughtering them. It works excellently. I'll probably use it for hunting, too.

Clarke, you are seriously in my *good books* as I will be 70 end of next June and have NO intention of quitting hunting. That rig is EXACTLY what we *old pharts* need and I am buying one right after Christmas.

Yup, having a younger hunting pard(s) would be great, but, most have jobs, family duties and cannot always go when I want to. Then, some guys, I am one, really enjoy solo bush/hunting trips sometimes and also have the experience, skills, training in 1st. aid, etc, to do so safely and why not?

Todays fabulous gear makes this FAR easier than when I started in 1964 and especially for Grouse hunting, along with Elk, my favourite, I usually go solo and carry a combo rifle/shotty so I can shoot whatever is legal, should I find it.

Good to see products like this *made in Canada*!!!

steve-r
11-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Whenever I go to the Abby BC Outdoors Show I stop at the booth and admire these and comment to my wife about my bad back ����
http://www.portablewinch.com/en/applications/hunting.html

also, your Toyota dealer carries a box floor D-ring accessory, just replace the bolts holding your box on the frame with 4 of these and you can attach a pulley to it, so the force is on the frame, not the plastic box or those weak slider tiedowns on the box rail

Xenomorph
11-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Do you have a headache rack on the truck? Anything solid to attach a small winch?

Or plywood, tie head and legs together, climb up in box pull up the sheet as far as you can, tie down that end; then tie down the hind legs and should be easier to pull it up to plane and into the box by yourself.

Nothing beats a winch, pulley or bring-your-friend though, especially and your experienced age sir!

BTF
11-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Go ahead and add some D loops to the front of your truck box. just put backing underneath the box, like a six inch plate of aluminum or such. Hand winched a moose in using those, the bull only fit half in the box though lol. You can also add two more factory loops where the front box bolts are, and they mount to the frame. My buddy bought extra ones from Toyota and they work great.

M.Dean
11-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Any chance you could use a quad for hunting? I do and it's the only reason I'm still out there every dam chance I get now! I have a Warn winch on the front, and tow a trailer behind it darn near all the time. My trailer has a roller along the front top rail, so I drop the trailer in front of the deer or moose, lower the rear door, then drive my quad "under" the tongue so it rides on the front metal rack I installed, pull out the winch cable, and after I gut the critter I loop the cable around it's head or ass, pull it in until it won't go in any farther, tie the head or back legs, which ever ends up front to the bulk head, this way I can slacken the cable off and now hook it to what evers not in the trailer and winch that in, close the door and go home, works real good too. And, I use my cell phone to call for help when I have problems with this method, there's always someone around that'd help in trade for some wild game meat! Good luck this season!

SWD
11-02-2015, 07:26 PM
I use a deer harness to drag deer.
If they re too big I cut them in half.
Leave 2 ,2x8 in back of truck for ramp.

kevan
11-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Many Thanks Mr. G., I'm buying one for my 70th ( which is coming too damn soon !! ).....

REMINGTON JIM
11-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Many Thanks Mr. G., I'm buying one for my 70th ( which is coming too damn soon !! ).....

Better get yours with a Electric winch as your to Old to crank the hand one ! :p HA! lol RJ

RadHimself
11-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Sheet of 3/4" plywood, cut some 3"x8" holes in it. Get a roll of sashcord or whatever rope u like to use. Sit the plywood on ur tailgate so its a ramp, tie the deers head to it thru the holes, back up till its teetering then popit over center into the box. I did it this way with my gpa (R.I.P A.P.H) for years... Me being 16-19 and him late sixties. Wort comes to worst u can use a chainsaw and cut 4" poles approx 8' long, lash them and use it as an a-frame. Dig the ends in, tie it to your bumper, pull it up almost to straigh up and down, use another length of rope to let it over center into your box.... Sounds messed up but it works. U cud also drag it to a tree with ur truck, deploy a pulley up the tree, use truck to lift it. Tie it off, back up, cur rope and deer lands in box

Daybreak
11-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Sheet of 3/4" plywood, cut some 3"x8" holes in it. Get a roll of sashcord or whatever rope u like to use. Sit the plywood on ur tailgate so its a ramp, tie the deers head to it thru the holes, back up till its teetering then popit over center into the box. I did it this way with my gpa (R.I.P A.P.H) for years... Me being 16-19 and him late sixties. Wort comes to worst u can use a chainsaw and cut 4" poles approx 8' long, lash them and use it as an a-frame. Dig the ends in, tie it to your bumper, pull it up almost to straigh up and down, use another length of rope to let it over center into your box.... Sounds messed up but it works. U cud also drag it to a tree with ur truck, deploy a pulley up the tree, use truck to lift it. Tie it off, back up, cur rope and deer lands in box

Now that is smart thinking. A little tricky maybe to reach the teeter point but working smart not hard.

kevan
11-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Better get yours with a Electric winch as your to Old to crank the hand one ! :p HA! lol RJ

Why do you think I take two 20 yr. old ' sweeties ' along when I go hunting ??

bearheart
11-02-2015, 09:46 PM

Wow! that looks like just what I need, going to look into right away. Thanks a million, really, really appreciate the tip.:grin:

grateful old guy

bearheart
11-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Whenever I go to the Abby BC Outdoors Show I stop at the booth and admire these and comment to my wife about my bad back 😉😉
http://www.portablewinch.com/en/applications/hunting.html

also, your Toyota dealer carries a box floor D-ring accessory, just replace the bolts holding your box on the frame with 4 of these and you can attach a pulley to it, so the force is on the frame, not the plastic box or those weak slider tiedowns on the box rail

Thanks man, I'm going to look into these also, I think my question has been answered, really appreciate it guys!

scretch
11-02-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm 75 and still given her.despite the change in gov't. Luckily my older son and I hunt together so between the two of us it is fairly easy to muscle out whatever we get. Once by myself I had to go to a system of small logs and use them as rollers while pulling with a rope.It took a while but got back to truck before dark.My hip is pretty well shot but lifting is not too bad and sawing deer in half if necessary is for me a good solution. Promise me you young guys do not get old!

scttlp86
11-03-2015, 10:39 AM
seen this on youtube the other day, would be interested to see someone use it on a pickup to load an animal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjpaJxRS5Y0

11-03-2015, 10:56 AM
ya im going with make the lift smaller..... if that dont work chuck a 2x10 in the back and use it as a ramp to slide it up........... or, way over think and engineer something totally over kill and spend a bunch of time thinking about it cuz you are retired and have a bit of money..... like my dad would lol.

wideopenthrottle
11-03-2015, 10:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRRGW6z3UQ
reminds me of this one

Angus
11-03-2015, 11:12 AM

That's the one for sure Gates. One of my older pals, who also has a bad back, uses that to load moose and elk quarters into his truck. It's not too heavy, and it works like a charm.

And Bearheart, if you find that you need a hand in the future, I'm in FSJ, so feel free to PM me for my contact info. More than happy to help out.

Cheers

rec
11-04-2015, 07:45 AM
I'm 66 with a bad back surgery 15 yrs ago it's better then it was but I have to be carefull wrong move and I'm on the couch for a fe days in la la land all drugged up I made myself a rack I can mount on the back of my quad or the tracker works great very similar to the one on utube atvdeer loader.com cheers